Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Watery Grave

Pages: 1 26 replies

T

Hi there.

I've been watching and lurking for a few years, and want to thank everyone for the inspiration you've provided. This is still very much a work in progress, but I think it's reached the point where I'm not too embarrassed to post the pics below and ask for advice and criticism.

My next projects are to finish decorating the wall behind the bar and to build a bamboo draft tower to replace the waist-level beer tap that you can't see.

W

I'm glad you posted! Any place you can call your own and hang your hat after a long day is fine by me! Keep us up on the progress.

Great start, soon it will be completely covered in bamboo, thatch and dead blowfish! Love the figurehead.

I love the name. Keep it in mind while decorating. I'm seeing all sorts of crazy themed stuff going on with a name like that. Keep up the good work.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2010-04-29 20:33 ]

LIKE. Nice tiki btw. It's nice to see some of the tiki buyers from the bay area posting.

Yes, great name...
I would get rid of the pink, but that's just me.

R

I love the deck feel to your space. Just peeling some shrimp and a cold one with a breeze. Looks great.

T

Thanks for all of your comments.

Jungle Trader -- I knew exactly where to put your tiki as soon as I saw him. Hopefully, this isn't too sacrilegious, but one of my coworkers helped me find this Ikea table top to rest on his head.

I cut a sheet of copper flashing to cover it and edged it with copper slug tape. After a year or so outside it started to look respectably aged.

Last week's project is essentially complete -- I built wainscoting from rolled bamboo fencing sandwiched between strips of molding. Laziness has set in again, but I expect to add something like black Coroplast to keep the background color from showing through. It would probably be simpler just to paint that part of the wall dark brown, but I'm not quite brave enough yet.

T

On the subject of the name, they aren't exactly tiki mugs, but I had Cafe Press print some of these last year:

W

I actually like the coral color. Very vacation like. Nice project.

Did you make the bar? It looks cool and I don't feel I've seen one like it.

T

Yes, very home made.

Much of the wood is recycled from the former owner's mediocre attempt to enclose the porch with scrap wood, sheet plastic and cheap indoor/outdoor carpet that I spend weeks undoing. The sides are covered with bamboo area rugs from Cost Plus, and the molding around the front and top is from Bosko.

You've got some great elements going on there...love the color of your house!!!

Cool

Any updates???

Jon

Nice. You have some cool stuff. :D

T

On 2010-05-01 14:27, thomamas wrote:

Nice spot.
I think the parts for this light is siting on your bar.

Good eye skipper

T

On 2013-03-30 15:43, hang10tiki wrote:
Any updates???

Thanks, all.

No major changes. I've added/shuffled some carvings and built this divider:

I've started tikifying the kitchen. I posted the breakfast nook ceiling already and beyond that it's mostly paint, decorating and light-up mug shelves.

I've got a new floor coming next week, ideas for new cabinet doors, and a sympathetic woodworker, so more soon.

P.S. There's some white trim. Deal with it, it's a kitchen...

T

P.P.S. I'm not usually so low on limes.

T

Here are a few more.

Wow, that really looks nice. I would be really comfy eating meals in that area.

Great job!

Dale

Killer
Awesome
Sweet
2 thumbs up...

Jon

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 10:03 AM

On 2013-03-31 21:34, thomamas wrote:

Thanks, all.

No major changes. I've added/shuffled some carvings and built this divider:

Your place looks great!
Do you mind me asking where you sourced your tiles from? Ive been searching like crazy, with no luck..

Thanks
Darren

T

On 2013-04-08 10:03, Dagg wrote:
Do you mind me asking where you sourced your tiles from? Ive been searching like crazy, with no luck..

I bought them on eBay from bestchinaware, but it turns out they are the Tai Yick Trading Company in San Francisco's Chinatown so I should have just driven across the bay.

They don't have any listed now, but they have web sites at http://www.taiyick.net and http://www.bestchinaware.net. I'd try writing them.

Good luck,

Tom

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 9:03 PM

Cool, thanks for the info.

D

Oceanic Arts sells them too. Ofcourse not the real thing but replicas of those jade tiles. They look ok. :)

PP

wow very very cool

Pages: 1 26 replies