Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What Do You Like That Hipsters & Cool People Hate?

Pages: 1 30 replies

W

Hey, yeah, another one of these threads.

If you're on Tiki Central you probably already like things that most people hate. And if you're on Tiki Central you're probably at least slightly hip and cool or you're hipster and cool people adjacent. And because we're free to be you and me there are probably some things you genuinely like which most hipsters and cool people would roll their eyes at (and some of the ultra hip and extremely shallow ones would actually unfriend you over).

So this is a great way to let people know they shouldn't invite you to their ultra-swank patio party this summer because you actually like shopping at Walmart, own several seasons of Two and a Half Men, and have a half dozen bottles of low quality flavored rum hid at the back of the liquor cabinet.

W

I like "smooth jazz." (But I hate the term "smooth jazz.")

I don't like all of it, in fact there's far more of it that is utter crap than any good.

A lot of people hat smooth jazz and most people who are serious jazz fans or who have taste or good sense really really hate smooth jazz.

And for the most part their hatred is well founded. The majority of smooth jazz is just glorified elevator music.* It's unimaginative, repetitive, and aimed at a target audience which will only be drawn to music that's instantly familiar.

I'd guess most smooth jazz fans don't really pay attention to the music the way serious jazz fans do. If the music were interesting to the point that it projected itself into their thoughts they probably wouldn't even like it.

But I think there's a lot of skill in crafting music which perfectly captures the tone of a warm gray morning, being out on the water on a sunny day, or late hours in the city.

I also think Kenny G is proof that all the music from Hell isn't just rock-n-roll. Mr G's music makes me feel as if a sap covered cork screw is being slowly twisted into my skull.

(An earlier version of this post appeared in the What do you like that most people hate? thread.)

TM

Christ on a crutch! We ARE the same person!!!

You see, I too love Smooth Jazz...the Rippingtons and bands like Fourplay or artists like Bob James being some of my faves! The professionalism and excellent musicianship, the fact that is always sounds just as good if not better live, and the focus on good melodies!

Also agree with you on Kenny G... (see my Pat Metheny rant thread when you get a chance!) I would personally like to give him a good beating.

But I will tell you what I REALLY like that the hipsters and koolkids hate!

Hapa Haole Hawaiian music played by three dudes wearing hats and wearing tan slacks and dress shoes.

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor
http://www.myspace.com/thesmokinmenehunes
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-04-27 17:45 ]

J

I LOVE Jimmy Buffett (that's 2 t's folks !!). Actually I'm not even familiar with his music, but because he's so universally despised here on TC (in a knee-jerk way IMHO), I've decided to be his biggest fan.

I'd love to see a Jimmy Buffett tribute band play at a major Tiki event and piss everyone off. :)

That's pretty Punk Rock if you ask me.

Demolition derby. I dream of going to the combine demo derby in Lind, Washington.

Link re: Smooth Jazz. I like Mangione - Sandborn not so much.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2010-04-28 00:11 ]

W

I don't despise Buffett, I like his music in the right situations. But I have to admit the reaction to him here has made me like him just a bit more.

I think demolition derby has a definite hipster/lowbrow appeal, probably more appreciation in that group than among the Ordinarys.

I heard about the Combine Demolition last year when I was in Othello (the Washington town, not the Shakespeare play) reading a "Things To Do Since You Happen To Be Here" article. Friends and I who get over that way several times a year agreed it might be worth checking out.

P
phinz posted on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 2:32 PM

On 2010-04-28 07:27, woofmutt wrote:
I don't despise Buffett, I like his music in the right situations. But I have to admit the reaction to him here has made me like him just a bit more.

Agreed. Heck, it's obvious I'm a fan. Witness my username. :wink:

Chemtrails

you WOULD like chemtrails,mike!
:lol:

Well i hope you get your wish!

TK

hmmm interesting question. i hardly ever get a notion to deliver a thoughful post but this makes me need to. i usually hate anything tragicaly hip and cool. if you are getting "cool" from a magazine or ad or movie or group thought, you definately are not cool. cool and hip are states of mind. if you are trying to be those things,you are not. i like buffet and the carribean, reggae and ska and calypso. you guys on that coast need to not hate the carribean. i like jazz and metal and punk as well. i like the art i see on this forum not because everyone says "its cool" but truly because it speaks to me. i despise the sheep mentality. i hate peer pressure and do not submit to it. so to end my semi rant. i hate just about anything that the mass market seems to think is hip and cool. i wll now fade back into silliness and do not care if i am flamed because not being tragiclly hip/cool, it won't hurt my feelings. tata ya'll

I think demolition derby has a definite hipster/lowbrow appeal, probably more appreciation in that group than among the Ordinarys.

None of my hipster friends ever want to go with me. Maybe they're not as cool as I think they are.

Do people really dislike Jimmy Buffett that much or is it just the notion that Parrotheads and the like will commonly confuse Caribbean/beach style for tiki? Anyway, I don't listen to his stuff that often, but do have 3 or 4 albums. Occasionally, however, I do enjoy annoying my hip cool friends by cranking up a dose of 80's Sunset Strip hair metal... Of course, these days, I'm more likely to listen to Fred Neil than Vince.

TM

On second thought, we probably are NOT the same person, after all!!!!

On 2010-04-28 16:06, talo ka wrote:
... i like buffet ... and do not care if i am flamed because not being tragiclly hip/cool, it won't hurt my feelings.

Get Him! Burn him at the st......

Wait.

That was kinda smart what he said.

Never mind. Put the torches and pitchforks back in the closet.

:wink:

TK

On 2010-04-28 17:05, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-04-28 16:06, talo ka wrote:
... i like buffet ... and do not care if i am flamed because not being tragiclly hip/cool, it won't hurt my feelings.

Get Him! Burn him at the st......

Wait.

That was kinda smart what he said.

Never mind. Put the torches and pitchforks back in the closet.

:wink:

w-ww-wwha- what? ME???? kinda smart??? i have NEVER been accused of that.

B

For a change of pace - I like sci-fi and fantasy - movies or books. :)

P
phinz posted on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 6:29 PM

Well, most hipsters don't dress up in costumes from sci-fi movies and parade around either, but I do. :)

Well phinz, I'm a fellow sci-fi geek/costumer.

Been doing it since I was 14 or so (way longer than collecting tiki and the like). Just something I enjoy. My wife participates in this hobby as well as collecting tiki.

EDIT: Hit the wrong button.
I wanted to say, awesome bucket and armor! Do you still live in FL? I bet you've run into some of my people. Contact me if you want to chat it up.

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2010-04-29 07:53 ]

P
phinz posted on Thu, Apr 29, 2010 5:02 PM

Awesome Klingon!

I do not live in Florida anymore. I'm in Tennessee now (though I actually was raised in Texas). My wife also participates in both hobbies.

That's her in the Necromonger below:

Do you ever make it to Dragon*Con? We're eternal members.

[ Edited by: phinz 2010-04-29 17:03 ]

[ Edited by: phinz 2010-04-29 17:04 ]

Haw, I have never been to Dragon*Con, never had the extra cash or time to go. Would like to make it once to check it out. That's awesome that your wife enjoys it too. Where in TX were you raised?

TM

You guys are too funny!

http://www.tronguy.net/

P
phinz posted on Fri, Apr 30, 2010 1:41 PM

I've met Tronguy. He's a really nice guy and has a lot of fun costuming.

I was raised in College Station until I was 4 and then in the Katy area of Houston until I was 19.

UJ

On 2010-04-30 13:41, phinz wrote:
I was raised in College Station until I was 4 and then in the Katy area of Houston until I was 19.

Cool, Dallas area here. Been to Aggiecon a few times.

L

On 2010-04-28 18:29, phinz wrote:

Call it being Star Wars obsessed when I was little...collecting pretty much every toy from the 1st three movies ever made (then selling then all on Ebay for mucho moola in my adulthood!)..but I have a weakness for men dressed in storm trooper gear.

We recently had a Imperial Army Bar Crawl in San Francisco. Like 40 guys all in Storm Trooper gear hanging out in dive bars. It was absolute heaven for the geek in me!

B

Sorry I brought it up, but since I did - May the Fourth be with you!

C

I actually pay for Sirius radio service in my car and house because I like Jimmy Buffett's radio station runs and hides
(closet parrothead just outted herself)

I like Oktoberfest and Ren Faire.

Armed conflict.

Punctuality.

Books and the reading of them.

Progressive rock, classical music and jam bands.

Sobriety and critical thinking.

High-brow culture.

Negativity, wherever it's merited.

Freedom from electronic leashes & crutches.

60's & 70's rock poster art.

All things middle class, bourgeois and conservative.

The Monkees

Everytime I catch a song on the radio, I turn it up (Come on 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' rocks). Anytime they come on tv, I stop to watch. I have all of their music on disc. I was born after they broke up, and I know they were not a real band, but whatever song writers, and whatever studio musicians they put together (Boyce and Hart), I think put out some great pop music for the time.

DZ

Tequila.

Straight up, no lime, no salt.

TM

Brandy, Gin, Beer, Southern Comfort, Smooth Jazz and the band RUSH!

Pages: 1 30 replies