Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Bar Rescue

Pages: 1 12 replies

We bought a rattan bar and stools quite a few years ago, not knowing that the bar had some severe termite issues. Took it apart, stored the rattan for about 5 years (termites don't like rattan and didn't eat any of it, only the frame and plywood shelves and top). Here are some deconstruction shots...

And the rebuilt bar, in our driveway, awaiting it's triumphant return to our family room...

Of course, we move it out from the wall, and under the light, when it is in service!

Sometimes we put it in our Tiki Hut in the backyard during warm weather parties. I'll post a better pic of that, when we move it back out there.

It's nice having a portable bar...flexible...change location easily, depending upon the room/function. Our neighbors have borrowed it several times since I rebuilt it last summer.

Does anyone know of a place we can get a nice Puffer fish lamp to hang above it?

T

NICE JOB! Tha bar would look GREAT on your deck! Thortiki

M
Murph posted on Sun, May 2, 2010 8:09 AM

Excellent Job!

Nice work...and that back yard picture is fabulously tropical...nice ambiance. :)

BK

Bravo! Very well done.

Thanks for the nice comments...the backyard is our little slice of paradise when the weather is nice...and drinking/dining alfresco is always nice!

TT

Beautiful piece, great repair job. Looks really nice in the yard. What did you use to refinish the top?

Great restoration Beatnik and welcome to TikiCentral. Check with fellow TCer Swanky for a puffer fish lamp

http://www.swankpad.org/puffer/

On 2010-05-02 18:42, Tuna Tiki wrote:
... What did you use to refinish the top?

The original plywood/laminate top was infested with bugs so, I tried to remove/reuse the laminate...because it matched our end tables and boomerang coffee table.

But, that didn't work out so...I simply used a pine board (laminated 1x4's) that I bought at Home Depot... stained it with Minwax - Red Mahogany #225 then, applied a 2-part "bar-top" resin for a highly durable surface (that adds depth to the stained wood).

The photos actually don't do it justice...here's another shot.

I like it. What product did you use on the rattan to give it that new fresh look. I have two of them I need to restore. Thanks ahead of time.

Well, 20 days and no response. Anybody? Buehller? Help? I wanna know something.

Tuscon Tiki-

I dunno what surfbeatnik used, but I know lots of us use Minwax Honey Pine stain/polyurethane sealer... here's bongofury's post with pics: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34964&forum=1&vpost=501898

I've used it myself and it looks great.

-Trad'r Bill

On 2010-06-19 17:36, Tucson Tiki wrote:
I like it. What product did you use on the rattan to give it that new fresh look. I have two of them I need to restore. Thanks ahead of time.

Sorry about the major delay in responding to your question...I have been a bit occupied.

I used Zinsser Bullseye Shellac, (clear and amber) to freshen-up the rattan. You can find it at just about any Home Depot, Lowe's or other home improvement store. The clear has a slight color to it while the amber (used to be called 5 pound orange) has a darker look. Try them both, mix em up to a shade you like on a test piece! Cleans up with denatured alcohol.

Good luck with it!

-Surfbeatnik

[ Edited by: surfbeatnik 2010-10-01 20:46 ]

[ Edited by: surfbeatnik 2010-10-02 17:42 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies