Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

MariePalooza, a Tiki Band Aid-( Results Pg. 18) Official Event Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 283 replies

On 2010-05-29 07:29, SoccerTiki wrote:
23 days ago we launched this event...Tomorrow it all comes together for one BIG extravaganza! A "Palooza" if you will! In 23 days we've had 8 bands offer their services (more wished they could but had conflicting schedules!), over 50 artists and FOM (Friends of Marie) donate over 80 items, 20+ people ask to volunteer for the event, and we're looking at over 300 people in attendance!

Tickets are still available online through midnight tonight. I suggest you buy them now and avoid longer lines at the door. And definitely if you want to support Marie but cannot attend, buy a ticket online today. You will be logged as a "Supporter".

Go to http://www.mariepalooza.com/services

Wish we could have been volunteers! Have fun!

[ Edited by: SmokingTiki 2010-05-30 10:32 ]

Have a great Palooza everyone, sorry we are going to miss it, I want to see pictures!

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to ALL who helped to make The Mariepalooza Event such a HUGE success!!!

Wow! What a great time. Thanks to all those who put the event together. We were there all day, and it flew by. Great people, artists, bands, food & drinks, and atmosphere. We even took home a raffle item!

We don't know Marie personally (Don's is a bit far to be our "local"), but we were definitely moved to go and show our support. The positive vibe that ran throughout the night was evident. Get well soon Marie!

Kevin

If anyone is interested in purchasing an event poster we still have a few left. PM me to make your purchase. Posters are $20 and all proceeds will go to The Mariepalooza Fund :)

I have the following people's unclaimed raffle prizes from last night. Please contact me to make arrangments for pick up: Dan Haas, Sherri Cuett, David Frink, Matt Q, Claudia Newsom, Kevin Antonelli, Carol Webb, Alan, Rob Williams, Mieko, Jim Thomas, Stan Lind, Trina Martinez, Dave (310), Lisa Graham, Suzanner Drummer, Trina Nicole, Chris Webb, & Dominic Tucci

TM

I really had a great time! So many of my favorite TCers all in one place!

The bands were truly awesome.

Exotiki....wow! As usual. We need to see more of this band.

Glascow Tiki Shakers ROCKED the HOUSE! Three people, and they were sounding especially heavy!

Slacktone. Yep, BTD, you were right. These guys made me like surf music! A very adventurous and musically sophisticated band..

And Tikiyaki orchestra...really, what can one say? Simply the best of the best!

Unfortunately, I did not see any band that played before Slacktone...but thanks everyone for making this a great event for Marie and Jonpaul!

Now bring on the pix, please!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor
http://www.myspace.com/thesmokinmenehunes
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-05-31 09:57 ]

I had a great time yesterday!! I really feel stoked to be part of such a good cause for one of our friends!!! I wish I could have stayed longer but I had another event to attend. The Boardwalkers, The Eliminators, and Slacktone were freaking awesome!!! I had such a great time seeing everybody!! We Love You Marie!!!

Wow!! what a day, what an event, what a Great bunch of people.

I am completely exhausted.
but in a good way.

Thanks to all of the Bands for their time and generosity.
Every Band was just amazing, and brought their A game,
and were very easy to work with, Thank you again.

Thanks to all of the artists and bands that donated so much stuff for the
raffle and for the silent auction.
I was blown away by the sheer amount of stuff.
Holy Cow!!!!

Thanks to Chris and Karen and the Staff at Dons,
and to all the Volunteers that made the day run pretty smooth.
Thanks again to Art, for letting us have the event at Dons.
Thee Perfect Place for this.

and thanks to all of you that came to the event.
and to those that couldn't but donated to the cause somehow.

You all rule!!
now who's in for a couple more drinks at Don's this evening?
to help recover from yesterday.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-31 11:34 ]

Such an amazing day! My throat feels like I chain smoked from all the greeting I did at the door. :wink: Warms my heart to be a part of such a great community. Where are the pics people?!

[ Edited by: TikiGeeki 2010-05-31 11:43 ]

That was too much fun! 10 plus hours just blew by.
Felt more like a couple of hours. Fun hopping from
room to room hanging out with everyone.

Many Mahalos to the dynamic duo Chris and Karen for all that
you guys did for this event. You rock! Thanks to all the volunteers, Jeff(btd), bands,
artists, donations, patrons, Art Synder and the DTB staff for making this a smashing success.

We are glad we were a part of such a wonderful event!

Get well soon Marie! We miss you!

All the best,

Jason and Claudette

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-06-01 13:56 ]

There were quite a few cameras clicking away during the night.
Let's see those photos.

I am assuming that most everybody is pretty wiped out after yesterday.
I have a feeling that the pics will be popping up later tonight or tomorrow after everybody starts to recover/decompress after that long day.

Jeff(btd)

Here's the first leg of photos from such a fantastic afternoon, evening, and night.
Kudos to all involved in this amazing event, you all outdid yourselves!

This TikiGeeki statue was greeting people at the door

Auction stuff...

Raffle stuff...

I took this photo right before my name was read. I won this awesome Crazy Al mug!

Right after that, PolynesianPop won this killer Java Bob mug by GROG!

More pics coming....

very cool, thanks Tom,
you da man.

Jeff(btd)

Tom, thanks for the pics. They mean a lot to us folks stuck up north who couldn't make it to the event. My heart is happy with all the stories of the event's success I'm hearing.
Brenda

I didn't take a lot of photos, but here are a few from The Tikiyaki Orchestra's set.

A few others are posted here on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/heylownine/sets/72157624175394912/

Mahalo again to everyone!

kevin

Yesterday was awesome! Everyone involved did an AMAZING job!!! It ran so smooth and everyone was having a blast. Wish Don's was always jumpin' like that!

Thanks for posting the photos (especially the 2 of Exotiki)! We (Exotiki) had a blast playing and were VERY honored to be asked to play. It was great to finally share a bill with Smoking Menehunes and Tikiyaki Orchestra (both bands sounded so good!). Bummed I missed Glasgow Tiki Shakers set... but it was so relaxing in the Dagger, as usual.

Bong and Lucas, it was great to see you two and finally hang out again! You guys sounded great. Even with Jim on percussion ;-P That was really cool. Pat's vocals are always a treat to hear.

TikiShaker, sorry I never got the chance to come up and say HI and have a drink with ya! Good to see you there though!

Tikiyaki, you guys rule! You sounded so good last night. The perfect Night Cap!

Jon Paul, good to see you as well! Please give our love to Marie and let her know we're missing her!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2010-05-31 13:51 ]

O

Cheers to all of you event staff for the Mariepalooza yesterday, all the great bands, Art Snyder and the staff, all of the artists that contributed some very cool items and all of the cool people at Don the Beachcomber's last night.
What a great turnout of support!. Marie, you should have been there!
Here are some photos for now and some video from Scott and I coming you way soon. Hope to see you back at Don's.
There were a few problems that you would have caught had you been there.

1.Reverb had his famous drink that won the TC drink contest some years back. He had one while talking to me. " Marie needs to make this, she does the Reverb Crash right"

1. The raffle ticket barrel was too small, (This is probably Woo Hoo or Crazy Al's problem not yours but it needs to be said)

2. My Mai Tai seemed different somehow? What recipe do you guys use? Come to think of it, who did invent this drink anyway?

4.The main problem, you were not there and missed by everyone. :(

Get well soon.

[

TM

How cool is this picture?

Answer: Very cool!

that's a whole lotta good times.

Thanks for the Pics Tim.

Jeff(btd)

Kelly, You look radiant in this photo!

On 2010-05-31 12:43, Tonga Tom wrote:

Thanks for the Pics everyone!

On 2010-05-31 09:18, WooHooWahine wrote:
If anyone is interested in purchasing an event poster we still have a few left.

PM me to make your purchase. Posters are $20 and all proceeds will go to The Mariepalooza Fund :)

Do it, its a great poster
and goes to the fund for Marie.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-31 14:50 ]

Where are the photos of the half naked men? I heard there was going to be a kane auction.

Great snaps Tom and Tim!

TM

Epic!

TT

Yes, you guessed it! More photos...

Wow...fun pictures. Looks like you all had an awesome time and the organizers did it up right (as usual). Congratulations on such a great turn out.

TT

Soccer, Woo Hoo. I can't believe you and all the rest of you wonderful people put together such an amazing event in less than a month. The auction items, the raffle prizes, the bands. Top drawer, first rate, creme de la creme. I can't think of a more worth while cause then looking after one of our own. Thank you for a wonderful evening. One we won't forget for a long time.

Marie, we love you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Love,
Jeff and Patti

T

Yay! What an awesome event! It was like a tiki family reunion! Everywhere you turn, there's another familiar, friendly face, and everybody was there to support a great cause!

Huge Mahalos to everybody who donated time and effort to put this all together... it was spectacular!!!

The hours seemed to fly by in a blur of tiki fun! Or maybe it was the Rum Barrel, followed by the two Zombies... And that was after several people suggested that the next drink after a Rum Barrel shouldn't be a Zombie... that's why I had two!

Get well soon Marie!

Huge Mahalos to Chris and Karen for the fantastic job they did putting this all together
in such a short time .Would also like to extend my thanks to all the artists and musicians
that were involved...thank you for your time and generosity.Don's staff was on top of
things as well.Had a great time and awesome to see everyone under one roof for such a
great cause.Something like eight bands that played within nine hours ....woosh time flew!!
I was camera shy , however got a couple pics off in between the countless zombies, Mai Tais,
Hinanos and the list goes on .Good good times .....wow!!

Woohoooooooooo!

The fantastic Slacktones

Eric, Aframe ? and Murph to the far right

Bong and Marty

JP , Marty and Bong ....don't ask !

T

Ojaitimo - Stellar pics. That new camera you have takes really nice shots (knowing a good angle helps too !)

Great time. It was great seeing everyone, and meeting a few new folks. Randy from Waitiki, great meeting you and talking shop.
NorCal - Tikitastic and TaiwonOn, always great to see you guys, my favorite group of Blackbelt drinkers from the north !

Bosko - I saw you but didn't get a chance to say hello. Glad you came out.

Soccer and WooHoo...what can I say ? Great job putting this together !

Exotiki, I was in soundcheck mode so I didn't get to see you except for a a quick passing thru in the bar.

Had a blast playing with the Menehunes, and I really enjoyed playing the Tikiyaki set, tho' I think everyone was pretty wiped out by the time we got to play.
It was a LONG day.

Thanx to everyone who came out and supported this great cause. I'm sure Marie really appreciates it.

Anyway...

See y'all next week in Palm Springs ?

T

On 2010-05-31 20:26, 1961surf wrote:
Huge Mahalos to Chris and Karen for the fantastic job they did putting this all together
in such a short time .

Hey 1961surf, don't you mean "Sorry Chris for trying to sneak into a benefit?"

Saw an AWESOME video of you on Facebook

[ Edited by: TikiPug 2010-05-31 22:01 ]

[ Edited by: TikiPug 2010-05-31 22:21 ]

CJ

On 2010-05-31 21:57, TikiPug wrote:

in such a short time .

here comes the fun!

Here's the final batch of my photos, the Tikiyaki set...

Read the whole story on facebook and don't jump to conclusions people.To bad you couldn't
hear the audio on the video .Makes for good entertainment though .

On 2010-05-31 14:46, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2010-05-31 09:18, WooHooWahine wrote:
If anyone is interested in purchasing an event poster we still have a few left.

PM me to make your purchase. Posters are $20 and all proceeds will go to The Mariepalooza Fund :)

Do it, its a great poster
and goes to the fund for Marie.

Jeff(btd)

bump

On 2010-05-31 21:57, TikiPug wrote:

in such a short time .

Tiki pig you don't know me at all but you seem to have an axe to grind with me .
Since you do have a problem with me, why don't you man up and confront me in person
instead of hiding behind a computer screen with your usuall bull shit remarks and
jumping to conclusions.

hey guys,
can we take this off here and argue in PMs please.
this thread is about the Mariepalooza.

Jeff(btd)

CJ

On 2010-06-01 00:33, bigtikidude wrote:
hey guys,

Jeff(btd)

I think Marie would like too see someone in the amount of pain she's in...it's good therapy

L

On 2010-06-01 00:33, bigtikidude wrote:
hey guys,

Jeff(btd)

This is the ONLY time I will ever agree with BTD :)

Thank you for all the pics...I can not wait to see how much money was raised! SoCal Ohana you guys really outdid yourselves!!

SD

What a crazy fun tiki event this was! Thanks so much WooHoo, and Soccertiki for heading up this bash and everyone who had anything to do with it. Really, it was nothing but fun, fun, fun! What a way to spend my birthday!

Jen

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2010 10:07 AM

Wow! Sorry to have missed the event, what a great time for a great cause.

Marie - we miss you.

Thanks for the updates and the pics everyone. G

What a turn out. I couldn't believe the amazing stuff in the Raffle Section. I happily purchased the TikiTony Velvet, so I was as happy as a clam! We got there early and left at 7 pm -- wished we could have stayed longer, but we were dog tired.

Mahalo to everyone that put on this event for such a good cause.

What a great day!! We were blown away by the fantastic job that Chris and Karen did putting this together. You two should be professional event planners - seriously! Chris was like the energizer bunny running around all day, and how Karen managed to maintain her ever-cheery smile was nothing short of stepford - hehe! Did you two EVER take a break? And the auction and raffle donations? It seemed there was one prize to every attendee! What incredible generosity our beloved tiki artists, musicians and vendors showed! Gold stars for everyone involved - organizers and supporters!

Love to Marie!

Tiki Kitty / Deanna Rose

[ Edited by: Tiki Kitty 2010-06-01 11:30 ]

TM

I also want to thank Chris and Karen. I could see they were really working hard to make sure this event was the success it was! And for me, a special thanks to Big Tiki Dude, who does not seem to ever get the respect he deserves around here. He was also working hard, too!

R

WOW! what a great event & turnout - so glad I was able to make it!
I was having so much fun I forgot to take pictures!

So much love and support for Marie, it was amazing to see!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 283 replies