Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

So I made my first drink, Zombie '34

Pages: 1 21 replies

D

Used sonoma syrup grenadine and cinnamon syrups

appleton v/x and ron barrilo 3 star for the rums

lemon hart for 151

farnum is the kind with alcohol

it tastes a bit smokey rumey still would like to tone it down a notch, i can taste the awesomeness though

with those syrups do i need to use more grenadine to take away a bit of the bite? Or do i just need to let it melt down a bit on the ice cubes in the glass

first few sips i got a buzz...hehe

D

melting it down didnt take away the overpoweringness of the drink...i guess that is how it is supposed to be, definetly not a drink to start the evening off heh

S

Grenadine should not be tastable really in this drink. It is a limit of 2...

First notes ought to be cinnamon and dark rums.

R

On 2010-05-12 22:34, Dapuma1 wrote:
melting it down didnt take away the overpoweringness of the drink...i guess that is how it is supposed to be, definetly not a drink to start the evening off heh

A 34 zombie is 4 ounces of rum (1 of which is overproof) and 2 ounces of mixer. This is going to be a strong drink no matter what you do, unless you dramatically increase the amount of mixer (regardless of what you use). But then you could argue it's no longer a zombie. Being strong is sorta the point...

G

Why people drink them I don't know... Personally, I think it's too damn strong, but people seem to like it that way.

Victor Bergeron

D

Made a couple mai tais yesterday with vsop clement and appleton 12 y extra

was too limey so trying to find something in between the zombie 34 and the mai tai

any ideas...i like the trader vics navy grog they make in the restraunt...not sure if that is an "offical" navy grog or not

H

On 2010-05-14 07:19, Dapuma1 wrote:

was too limey so trying to find something in between the zombie 34 and the mai tai

any ideas......

Yes, first, work on perfecting your Mai Tai. Maybe cut back on the lime, or shake it longer, whatever it takes.
Good choice of rums but what was your recipe?

Have you had a real Mai Tai from a Trader Vic's? If not, be sure to ask that it be made from scratch (no mix). Once you've tasted a properly made one (assuming the bartender is paying attention) you'll then have a benchmark.

S

On 2010-05-14 07:19, Dapuma1 wrote:

any ideas...i like the trader vics navy grog they make in the restraunt...not sure if that is an "offical" navy grog or not

Just try scaling back the lime juice. The origianl recipe by the bum is way off. I usually do the juice of half a lime. But, the ideal Mai Tai should have the rums shining through. If lime dominates, it's not right. It should showcase your good rums.

D

i used the beach bum recipe 1 oz of each rum 1/2 curacso .25 orgeat .25 simple syrup and 1 oz of lime juice

i tried using 3/4 cup ice first time then 1 cup ice 2nd time

still way too limey - i am thinking 1 cup ice and .5oz lime...is that still to much lime you think?

D

made a last rites

was pretty good...i made two one as the reciepe indicates the other with .25 oz less lime juice

I had the passion fruit syrup from auntie lilloki (whatever that is called) and by reducing the lime you could taste the rum and passion fruit syrup very distictly -- made it with the vsop clement

seems to be a common theme to reduce the lime juice in most recipes - although i have limited testing...

next im goign to try a jet pilot...looks like a more drinkable version of the '34 zombie

On 2010-05-14 10:05, Dapuma1 wrote:
i used the beach bum recipe 1 oz of each rum 1/2 curacso .25 orgeat .25 simple syrup and 1 oz of lime juice

i tried using 3/4 cup ice first time then 1 cup ice 2nd time

still way too limey - i am thinking 1 cup ice and .5oz lime...is that still to much lime you think?

That all depends on your taste but I would say that is too little. Use ¾oz if you find a full ounce too tart.

As for the ice, a Trader Vic's Mai-Tai glass is basically a 15oz old fashioned glass so you want to fill something that size with crushed ice and then shake and pour.

D

on the quest made a Jet Pilot

ingredients used:

demara 151
appleton dark (extra)
ron el barrilo 3 star
sonoma cinnamon simple syrup

MUCH better than the '34 zombie, is actually drinkable with similar flavors - it has very heavy cinnamon tones, so im not 100% sure if that is because of the sonoma syrup is strong or that is how it is supposed to taste, but i love cinnamon so that is fine by me - added double the ice of the book to make it a bit chiller

what does everyone thing of this drink?

D

next drink - Rum Barrel or Puka Punch...i like the puka puka at trader vics...similar?

D

Puka punch...awesome!

H

Be sure to add your comments and ratings into the Grogalizer:
http://www.grogalizer.com/

Hey, I just made two of those last night! Very strong....whew!

D

cheeky,

i had the liloki passion fruit syrup which for the 2nd one i cut by .25 oz so it wouldnt overpower the rest of the flavors..but i thought it went down really smooth...two is about all you need heh

still havent found a mai tai balance that i like, everything tastes too much of lime even when reducing the amount by .25, might try reducing lime by .5 and trying it out

On 2010-05-21 10:33, Dapuma1 wrote:

still havent found a mai tai balance that i like, everything tastes too much of lime even when reducing the amount by .25, might try reducing lime by .5 and trying it out

Dapuma: I've been trying to perfect my mai tai recipe as well and have gotten closer to the target by switching up a couple ingredients. I was also at the "too limey" stage and it turned out that dialing down the lime wasn't the answer at all. Instead I traded in the cheap triple sec I was using for Clement Shrubb (.5 oz), dropped the simple syrup entirely, and switched from Sonoma Almond to Ferrara Orzata (1 oz). No longer too limey at all even though I'm still using about 1 oz of lime. Just ordered some 1883 Routin Orgeat and I suspect I'll have to dial down the orgeat to .5 or .75 oz as the Ferrara is tasty but a bit weak.

D

On 2010-05-21 13:30, Tiki Kollektor wrote:

On 2010-05-21 10:33, Dapuma1 wrote:

Dapuma: I've been trying to perfect my mai tai recipe as well and have gotten closer to the target by switching up a couple ingredients. I was also at the "too limey" stage and it turned out that dialing down the lime wasn't the answer at all. Instead I traded in the cheap triple sec I was using for Clement Shrubb (.5 oz), dropped the simple syrup entirely, and switched from Sonoma Almond to Ferrara Orzata (1 oz). No longer too limey at all even though I'm still using about 1 oz of lime. Just ordered some 1883 Routin Orgeat and I suspect I'll have to dial down the orgeat to .5 or .75 oz as the Ferrara is tasty but a bit weak.

I am using Small Hands Food Orgeat but only just upped it to .5 oz...so you think moving it up to 1oz make a diff?

I use Senior someone orange curaaco...that stuff is expensive from what i read that is top notch, and i did drop the simple syrup as of last try, i was thinking about adding it to cut the lime...

I think ill start working on a navy grog next...i like the TV one a ton...i think i will go to happy hour there tonight to have one to compare...for research's sake!

H

Are you using crushed ice and shaking long enough?

D

ok i got some st elizabeth dram...that stuff is POWERFUL

trying to make a trader vics navy grog -- tried it with 3 shots vs 2 and then used half honey mix and half simple syrup

was pretty good - i have to make sure i put in a bit less than .25 of the dram, i put it a touch more and i mean barely and it was very strong...added some extra soda water to balance it out

i kind of made a mix from a don the beach comber navy grog and a ancient mariner

i like the soda water in there and also like the dram -- maybe i shouldnt have added the shot of cruzan white to make it taste like trader vics

i think the honey mix balances everything nicely...help me perfect this thing...

D

kava or rum barrel

going to make one for friends over the holiday

wondered if anyone tried either of these trader vics bowl items

i have the stuff to make either

Pages: 1 21 replies