Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Favorite drink and why

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

M

On 2003-05-09 11:34, thejab wrote:
Regarding PBR and lager in general: I love it ice cold on a hot day. Since hot days are fairly scarce around here (Oakland) I usually order a British ale such as Fuller's or Young's or a German or Beligian beer. Personally I find most American microbrew beer overrated. Most are not as well balanced as European beer. They've had hundreds of years of practice and they have it down cold (or lukewarm if you prefer). I envy Trader Woody for being able to go into a pub every day for a pint of bitter!

No question that cold PBR is at least refreshing, if not flavorful. I like it at clubs when I'm watching a band. It cools you off, it's cheaper, and drinking it out of plastic won't ruin the flavor.

Thank you Jab for telling the dark truth about American micro-brewed beer. I used to be a big fan. But as time went on, the movement grew, and I noticed more and more of the same problem: TOO MUCH HOPS! The micro brew movement in this country grew in protest to the poor quality and lack of hops in mass-produced beer. While it's certainly true that most mass-american beer goes short on the hops and pads out the beer with rice, the micro guys have gone so far in the other direction, that they have forgotten that there can be other character to beer. The balance is missing as Jab points out. I mean, they have beers called Hopmonster and crap like that. Even styles that should not be hoppy are over hopped. I still find a few gems at brewpubs, but it's hard.

I've long been in love with the beers of the UK. Travelling around the countryside with a CAMRA guide is one of my greatest pleasures in the world. And real ale in the UK is not warm, it's "cellar temperature"- it means you can TASTE it.

But the beers of Belgium are the the most exciting and diverse in the world. No one has more variety or complexity in their beer. I'm in a Belgian beer of the month club, and I'm always amazed by what comes in the mail each month. Woody, I know that Belgian beers are seen as a trendy yuppie thing in Britain, but the next time you're in London- check out Belgo Centraal or a Bierodrome. The selection is incredible. Here in SF we have the mighty Toronado and Lucky 13 to keep us in Belgians. Bay Area types: I'm always up for a trip if anyone wants to go- and I promise not to be a pretentious beer snob- I'll just shut up and drink.

Sorry to rant.

And, to come back to tiki for a moment, I've just picked up an old bottle of Lemon Hart from Jamaica that is available for tasting at the Foggy Grotto.

-martin

T

*On 2003-05-12 12:43, martiki6 wrote:*But the beers of Belgium are the the most exciting and diverse in the world. No one has more variety or complexity in their beer. I'm in a Belgian beer of the month club, and I'm always amazed by what comes in the mail each month. Woody, I know that Belgian beers are seen as a trendy yuppie thing in Britain, but the next time you're in London- check out Belgo Centraal or a Bierodrome. The selection is incredible. Here in SF we have the mighty Toronado and Lucky 13 to keep us in Belgians. Bay Area types: I'm always up for a trip if anyone wants to go- and I promise not to be a pretentious beer snob- I'll just shut up and drink.

Ohhhhh, Belgian beeeeeerrrrrr. How can I join the Belgian beer of the month club? In the East Bay the Lost Weekend and the Lucky 13 (both in Alameda) have some Belgian beers.

M

But the beers of Belgium are the the most exciting and diverse in the world

I have to second that. Oops, I see The Jab has beat me to it...ok, this is a third! Still love a Guinness, and had much fun tasting everything during my one trip to London. Although, those pub rules are like the SAT's:

Order food here, but not at this part of bar. That room has different food. We have food from 12-2pm and then from 5-7 pm. All I really remember is DON'T tip the man behind the taps.

Found the "chocolate stout" at Cost Plus yesterday(picked up a 6' bamboo plant* for the place). Will be trying it this week.

Ok, who's buying!?!

midnite

*If one ever wants to make new friends, walk around San Francisco carrying a 6' foot bamboo plant.

L
laney posted on Mon, May 12, 2003 1:44 PM

On 2003-05-12 13:32, midnite_tiki wrote:
Found the "chocolate stout" at Cost Plus yesterday(picked up a 6' bamboo plant* for the place). Will be trying it this week.

Ok, who's buying!?!

midnite

*If one ever wants to make new friends, walk around San Francisco carrying a 6' foot bamboo plant.

Real bamboo or a good fake and how much? I'm looking for both. I've tried to grow some of the clumping type but my dobie thinks they are fun dog sticks to play with. The two kinds I bought weren't cheep so they tunrned out to be very expensive tog toys! The running type of bamboo may be faster growing but will take over everything.

Well, I may not grab a decent pint every day, but I do appreciate what we have on offer here! Since you can get hold of Youngs, have you ever tried their Double Chocolate Stout? Amazing stuff. Try it side by side with a pint of Guinness and you'd soon be chucking the Guinness away like old bilge-water.

Trader Woody

I was recently lucky enough to try this wonderful stuff ON TAP (for $5 a pint :o ). Yum! It is excellent.

If you like this stuff, Rogue Brewery in Oregon also makes a wonderful chocolate stout: http://www.rogue.com/brews.html#chocolate
I'm not sure how widely available it is, but there's a Rogue brewery near to me so I'm able to get it directly from them.

M

On 2003-05-12 13:22, thejab wrote:

Ohhhhh, Belgian beeeeeerrrrrr. How can I join the Belgian beer of the month club? In the East Bay the Lost Weekend and the Lucky 13 (both in Alameda) have some Belgian beers.

Jab (& anyone else):
http://www.realbeer.com/rbstore/gbb/

I had no idea there was a Lucky 13 in Alameda. I must check that out.

-martin

M

*Real bamboo or a good fake and how much? *

Laney,
It's a basket with roughly a dozen real bamboo stalks, leaves are artificial. The stalks and basket/base combined are way over my head, close to seven feet, it's about 3-4 feet wide.

Out the door, in your driveway, $130.

My delivery fee is steep. So, best to haul your own. I think I may have sold 2-3 walking back to my place, should demand a commish from Cost Plus.

midnite

• Caipirinha's wheeled to you on a little trolley, accompanied by mountains of meat at Churrascaria Plataforma in NYC (49th btwn 8th and 9th)

Man, I LOVE that place! It's a carnivore's heaven! When I'm there I honestly don't care WHAT I'm drinking, as long as it's served with MORE MEAT! Been too long (hint, last time I ate there we finished the evening with a nightcap at Windows on the World :()

T

Aloha! the cocktail for me is definitely the martini. And they have to be dirty (love olive juice)! I've found I enjoy Kettle One vodka, but I'm still experimenting with other types of good vodka. I love the look of exotic cocktails, but a little too sweet for my taste.

T

LongIsland Ice Tee.....or
Beer with a shot of Bacardi Limon!

I like the ones Lucky makes.....especially the ones that are too strong for everyone else to drink......I'll take that wounded soldier, thank you very much....

Oh yeah......I love drinking in Waikiki....just so much fun....Those beach bars are the best....

[ Edited by: LapuRocker on 2003-05-23 14:39 ]

TK

"Whats your favorite drink"
Rum.

"and why?"
That question makes no sense.

"Wheres your favorite place to drink"
Near the bottle.

"and what do you like to do while drinking?"
Refill my glass.

"Whats your favorite liqour..."
oddly, not Rum based. It is called "Heather Cream"

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2003-05-23 15:12 ]

Fav Snooty Drink
Gin and Tonic (Bombay Saphire)

Fav Fru Fru
Zombie

Fav Ashamed to Admit I like It
White Russian

Fav Liquor: Cointreau or Becherowka (spelling)

Fav Place to Get Liqoured Up:
Here in town, Murphy's Irish Pub
In all the world, Flanigans in Cologne, Germany (cheap beer and young, drunk German girls)

Fav Activity While Getting Liquored Up:
A cold San Miguel on the topless beaches in Barcelona

And now, THE ALL TIME FAV DRINK:

BEER (IMPORTED) And Cider
Beck's Caffrey's
Murphy Irish Stout
Guiness Scrumpy Jack
Strongbow Woodchuck
Heineken Grolsch
Dogbolter Bitburger
any weise beer
Lefe Blonde Sion Koelsch
Reisdorf Koelsch
Bavaria San Miguel
Lech Zywiec
Pilsner Urquell

As a close friend once quoted "American beer is like having sex in a canoe........It's f*cking close to water.)

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before. Stephen Wright

[ Edited by: Parrothead Mike on 2003-05-23 16:54 ]

[ Edited by: Parrothead Mike on 2003-05-23 16:55 ]

M

I recently had the opportunity to try the Young's "chocolate" stout:

Well, it sure had a chocolate kick to it, mainly at first. Unusual, but not strange. Interesting to sample, but me thinks I will stick with a pint of the ole bilge water (ne Guinness). That is, for situations that call for a good ole beer, pint, ale, stout, such as that and so forth and so on.

midnite

The Jab wrote:

My recent favorite cocktail is the Pegu Club Cocktail, that originated outside Rangoon (in Burma) in the 20s. Good during the coktail hour before dinner.

1.5 oz. gin
.5 oz. Cointreau
.5 oz. lime juice
2 or 3 dashes Angostura bitters
Shake with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

Oh my lordy, Dean, that is so good. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You've made me love gin all over again.

--tipsy tikivixen

Old Milwaukee because it's cheap and it is the best tasting beer in America, it says so right on the can. Plus there's no mixing! Or a Zombie if someone makes it for me.

Pages: 1 2 63 replies