Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I'm all for raising the TC bar....

Pages: 1 17 replies

J

No, not that bar, the other bar.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36739&forum=16&vpost=535379

Sorry, I just (barely) made it back from Don's. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-10 19:35 ]

J

And since I've already broken protocol by cross-posting, you can ignore my previous comment and go here.

A wise man once said....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35445&forum=13&vpost=509880

(Did I just say I got back from Don's?) :D

W

You could have posted links to something useful or interesting (like a video of hula dancing squirrels or a picture of Frank Sinatra hurling a bottle of rum at a poster of JFK) but you actually you haven't broken protocol.

From the Tiki Central Rules...

"Do not cross-post. Posting the same message in more than one forum is considered spamming."

You posted a link to a topic in another forum. This is considered acceptable for Events...

"You can post a link to the announcement of the event in the Main forum for maximum exposure...DO NOT include the text from the event page. Doing so is considered spam."

So it seems it should be acceptable for this situation.

But it's entirely up to the Moderators. Only they know the secret special recipes of moderation. Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to moan and whine.

Stop taking on windmills and start posting more pictures such as a potato chip that looks like Moai's nose.

In closing...

Here's a dog in a hula bikini!

J

Hey, who moved this thread from the General Forum (where it would have done the most good)?

The moderator could have at least relocated some of the called out examples as well.

What kind of message does this send ?? !! :(

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 9:57 AM

GROG voted for it to be deleted, but it just got moved to bilge. If Woofy hadn't posted on it, it would have just died and gone away, like so many other useless posts. Your title says you want to raise the TC bar, and then you just post something like this which just lowers it.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-06-11 09:59 ]

lowers the bar....
kind of like 3/4 of GROG's posts....
:)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 10:18 AM

LLT's posts are more like a side-bar.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 11, 2010 10:18 AM

Oops, forgot the :)

or a segue way!
:)

:lol:

If you had an issue you wanted to discuss it would probably have been better to just discuss the issue and cite some examples or points by others. (I would argue that it would be a better use of one's time to not have issues but have fun instead.)

The fact that this thread was moved to Bilge shows that moderators are paying attention to the forums and that should be a comfort to us all. Everything will end up where it should be.

It also takes a lot of the hassle off figuring out where to make a post. There is no reason to ponder "Is this an appropriate topic for this forum?" as it will be decided for you. Shoot first, let the moderators sort 'em out.

How pictures of squirrels eating plastic tikis is an appropriate General Forum topic remains a complete mystery. To me, a mere mortal, it seems a squirrel eating a plastic tiki is a perfect example of a time wasting topic. Clearly there must be some greater meaning in the eating of plastic tikis by squirrels, one that the average person would completely miss.

I must go back and meditate on the subject...

I must admit, I am somewhat light headed with excitement over what secrets this image holds and the truths it will reveal to me...

OH MY GAWD! Were giant squirrels responsible for the demise of Easter Island??? I'd heard rumors that the moderators had secret knowledge that they could not reveal to the world. Maybe the squirrel eating plastic tiki thread in the General forum is their way of sharing some secret knowledge with the "ohana"?

This was moved from General Tiki due to it's General Lack of Tiki, if you want to raise the bar then post content not crap.

W

"...If you want to raise the bar then post content not crap."

Wise words. Clearly someone has been staring at the squirrel eating a plastic tiki picture and has discerned its deeper meaning.

I actually agree with BB's comment. One should act the way one feels is the proper way to act, one should post content that is the sort of content one thinks makes Tiki Central a useful, informative, fun place.

I don't have a problem with crap, it's a fact of life. But it belongs in its proper place. Just because someone has stuck a tiki swizzle stick and a paper umbrella in a pile of crap doesn't make it an ice cold Mai Tai, it's still a steaming pile of crap.

J

Well Boris I wouldn't call the content of those embedded threads "crap", I felt they were clever, witty, and insightful. My hat's off to the original author, I thought they deserved better than to languish in Bilge. I would argue they make valuable points irregardless of the forum. I do regret dragging that person into this.

If "crap" was intended to describe the perceived "trollish" appearance of my original thread then I won't try to defend my drunk posting indiscretions. I would argue that I have contributed my fair share of interesting or valuable Tiki discussion but I guess that's not enough to receive a "pass".

Lo Siento.

To say the thread was moved based on its general lack of Tiki however doesn't explain why the threads called out as examples weren't moved as well. It would be nice to see a greater consistency of Moderator actions based on TC stated guidelines.

Thank You.

On 2010-06-12 12:21, JOHN-O wrote:
I would argue that I have contributed my fair share of interesting or valuable Tiki discussion but I guess that's not enough to receive a "pass".

Yes, you've posted many great things but forums should still maintain some focus and I think it's only fair that No One get a pass.

Fake person 1: Did you see what John-O posted?
Fake person 2: Yeah, it didn't make any sense but his Frank Bowers post was so great that it's okay.

"With great posts comes great responsibility."

To say the thread was moved based on its general lack of Tiki however doesn't explain why the threads called out as examples weren't moved as well. It would be nice to see a greater consistency of Moderator actions based on TC stated guidelines.

There have been a lot of less than Tiki posts lately but there are only handful of moderators. If something seems out of place you can always use the U-Mod option or send a PM to Hanford.

On 2010-06-12 12:21, JOHN-O wrote:
Well Boris I wouldn't call the content of those embedded threads "crap", I felt they were clever, witty, and insightful. My hat's off to the original author, I thought they deserved better than to languish in Bilge. I would argue they make valuable points irregardless of the forum. I do regret dragging that person into this....

If you're referring to these: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36739&forum=16&vpost=535379

None of those embedded threads are in Bilge! They are all in General. However, it does sound like Woofmut thinks they should be in Bilge? People, feel free to use U-Mod!

Excuse me, But I think you've all missed an important point here:

It's a dog in a hula bikini!

(I mean, c'mon...I don't wanna be rude, but: DUH!)

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "Dog in a hula bikini, is awesome, yes?"

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "Oh! The awesomeness is practically incalculable!"

Imaginary Woofmutt Three: "I have a calculator! Let's run the numbers!"

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "What are you doing here? We don't dig you!"

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "No way we don't! You harsh our buzz! You turn our jelly shakin into belly achin!"

Imaginary Woofmutt Three: "But guys...Guys!"

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "Shhhh! Shush up now. Cool people are trying to flip their lids!"

Imaginary Woofmutt Three: "But guys!"

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "Hey man, just like...Y'know? Cuz like, well, why you gotta be so uncool? Why can't yuh just take a hint and scrams?"

Real Woofmutt: "What the hell is goin on in here?"

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "Is cool."

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "Yeah, what he said."

Imaginary Woofmutt Three: "I was just tryin to hang out in this metaphorical illustration, and they were all like..."

Real Woofmutt: "All of you shut the hell up!"

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "Man, like always with 'the hell' and him. His own cool talk."

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "Yeah, like the coolest cat in Dorksville."

Imaginary Woofmutt Three: "See what they're like? They're always..."

Real Woofmutt: "I don't want to see what any of you are like! I drank my way through three marriages tryin not to see or hear any of you!"

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "What? No 'the hell' this time? Not cool now?"

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "And the wives, they were pretty dull."

Imaginary Woofmutt Three: "Oh yeah, definitely dull. Sorry, but true."

Imaginary Woofmutt Two: "Hey cool! We agree on something. Too bad you're still a dork."

Imaginary Woofmutt One: "Yes, sorries but trues. You the Dork of the Dorkalic Church."

So, as you can see that illustrates perfectly the Blah-blah-blah and Wah-wah-wah of you not seeing the majesty and wonder of a dog in a hula bikini!

J

Imaginary Woofmutt #3, he's my friend !!

Pages: 1 17 replies