Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Bahooka Mug Release Party June 19

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

WoooHooooo! Bahooka is having a New Mug Release Party on June 19th @ 5:30. Call to make your reservations.
http://www.bahooka.com

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2010-06-12 16:07 ]

Ahh, I definitely gotta go to that, WooHoo!!!!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 6:43 PM

Suave! I want one! How much?

R

i've seen this mug in person . the details and the glaze are amazing. everyone needs to have 1 0r 2 of these in their collection!!!

Soooo... I use to live in Pasadena, and was a frequent visitor to Bahooka (they even have some of my fish from when I moved) :)
I'm now back on the east coast.
Is there anyone that would like to pick up a mug or two for me?
I have their first mugs already. And we all know that I'm going to have to have this one also!

I contacted everyone's favorite hostess, Samantha, about grabbing some for me. But I haven't heard back yet. She's always a little hit or miss with the emails (but, I

$20 will get you a mug & a cocktail! Sven will be signing & handing out 100 of the mini posters shown above to the first 100 to get a mug. DJ Jay Strongman will be providing the musical ambience for the evening. See you there!

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2010-06-13 15:00 ]

I am really liking the mug!!! It is very original looking. Super stoked on a new mug with some nautical elements and still having a tiki in it!!! Great Job dudes!!!

DZ

First mug I've liked in a looooong time - and this one's awesome! I'll be there to get one fo' sho'!

(I really like the blue & green 'test' glazes, too - any chance they'll see the light of day? I'd love to get all three...)

T

Buy a Drink and Keep a Mug, Buy two Drinks, have a Better Night and I'll Buy the Second mug off you.

Thank you everyone for showing so much enthusiasm for this cocktail vessel, I am thrilled that my first attempt at designing one turns out to be such a crowd pleaser! I can't wait for my own first concoction to christen the mug, and that in its proper environment, with the proper music...AND the proper Poly popsters to celebrate with! Okole Maluna!

On 2010-06-12 18:43, Zeta wrote:

Zeta, it will cost you a book from the Museo Nacional de Antropologia Expo! :)
(..if it is not unduly more money than the mug!...I'll throw something else in then)

DZ

oops - double post!

[ Edited by: Doctor Z 2010-06-13 19:56 ]

J

Now which Bahooka Tropical cocktail is worthy enough to be served in that mug ?? :)

Go Panthers !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-13 20:37 ]

T

On 2010-06-13 20:35, JOHN-O wrote:
Now which Bahooka Tropical cocktail is worthy enough to be served in that mug ?? :)

Go Panthers !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-13 20:37 ]

Gold Cup...Ask for it flaming and it will show up at your table on fire !

BEAUTIFUL, I can't wait!

Awesome! Got an early Father's Day BBQ to go to, but hopefully I can sneak away for dinner! About time. I've been inquiring about their new mugs for over a year now.

T

Nice mug! Is there a story behind this?

Sven, were you in the back booth of the Bahooka with the bubbling fish tanks all around when you were overcome with inspiration and you grabbed a napkin and a pen to start sketching it out... and colored it in with some sauce from your appetizer?

or were you on a research expedition in the parking lot, mapping and surveying the grounds with pin point accuracy, wearing a safari pith helmet and a field easel sketching the grounds when you found this lost relic sculpt of a mug sitting in the center of a rotted out pier piling.

Or did you already post about this somewhere else?

Aaaah....yes, actually BOTH! I can't remember which came first, it's all a blur!

No, to be honest, besides the Bahooka environment inspiring me, if I think back to what probably stirred me conceptually, it would be Crazy Al's great Kona Club mug:

When I first saw that baby, I thought "What a great way to capture the texture and feel of a Tiki temple! The environs and architecture of Tiki are so rich in motifs, there should be more of that in the ceramic genre!"

i will DEFINITELY be there!

I will writing and doing a PODCAST for my DARK & TIKI blog!

i cannot wait to finally meet Sven!

ALSO,

will there be a Tiki Central meet up for this??

J

Think of the whole event as a Tiki Central meet-up.

(Does Go-Go still work there?)

Go Panthers !!

i'm there for Chico's section! bring on the Grenades! maybe will the pin pulled..

I will be there.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-06-15 09:52 ]

On 2010-06-14 17:41, bigtikidude wrote:
I will be there.

and for those looking for something else to do after.
Glasgow Tiki Shakers are playing at Don The Beachcomber from 9 to 12.

Jeff(btd)

Arrrggghhhh!!! We've hired DJ Jay Strongman, providing music for this event. Wadda snipe Jeff!! GEEZIS!!!

Hmmm... alright - since it looks like the mugs + drink are going to be $20...here's my new offer. Who wants to grab me a mug, and I'll pay for your drink??
Really wish I could make it out, but it's tough being across the country now - boy I miss the Bahooka crew!

So.. who wants a free drink or two?!?

Shoot me a message, and we can figure something out :)

Thanks again all!

R

I'll be there- sporting my NEW Kiki Von Tiki dress (that I won at the Silent Auction at Mariepalooza of course :)
-and If Crazy Al is still selling that Tiki Temple mug... I'm SO down for it!!!

John O - I haven't 4got that I still owe you 40.00 worth of alcohol either LOL!
u want it at this event, or the next night at the Tikiyaki DVD Screening at Tonga?... u pick
:wink:

R

On 2010-06-13 17:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank you everyone for showing so much enthusiasm for this cocktail vessel, I am thrilled that my first attempt at designing one turns out to be such a crowd pleaser! I can't wait for my own first concoction to christen the mug, and that in its proper environment, with the proper music...AND the proper Poly popsters to celebrate with! Okole Maluna!

On 2010-06-12 18:43, Zeta wrote:

Zeta, it will cost you a book from the Museo Nacional de Antropologia Expo! :)
(..if it is not unduly more money than the mug!...I'll throw something else in then)

WOW! How cool is that? Congrats on such a FINE job my friend. I can't wait to own it myself :)

• Rosered

[ Edited by: RoseRed 2010-06-14 22:27 ]

J

On 2010-06-14 22:23, RoseRed wrote:
I'll be there- sporting my NEW Kiki Von Tiki dress (that I won at the Silent Auction at Mariepalooza of course :)
-and If Crazy Al is still selling that Tiki Temple mug... I'm SO down for it!!!

John O - I haven't 4got that I still owe you 40.00 worth of alcohol either LOL!
u want it at this event, or the next night at the Tikiyaki DVD Screening at Tonga?... u pick
:wink:

Hi Rose, yes it was my plan to make the event. I know you're gonna look smokin' in the new dress. The issue is that my friend from the Bay area will be in town that weekend with his small army of children. Maybe they might want to visit the Bahooka.

What you say, JOHN-O, how dare you bring small children into the sancity of the Tiki Bar? Well folks, the Bahooka was intended to be a FAMILIY-style restaurant. How else can you explain a "Tiki Bar" being built in the middle of the disco 70's. Actually though, the Bahooka is NOT a classic Tiki-style bar but rather Beachcomber/Nautical with traces of Tiki (despite what they advertise).

This fact really highlights the Bigbro's unique mug design (it's not a traditional Tiki icon). While the Bahooka is Beachcomber/Nautical with traces of Tiki, so is the design of the mug !! This raises an interesting question, if it wasn't for that small Tiki poking his head out, would it still be a "Tiki Mug". I'm not a mug collector so I'm not sure if that discussion has come up before. I'll assume if the vessel was intended to house a Tiki drink then it would qualify. (I used to avoid that term, preferring the more historically correct "Tropical drink, but I've noticed even Beachbum Berry uses that word now.)

Here's an interesting observation that makes the Bahooka unique. As far as I know it's the only Beachcomber/Nautical joint that offers a comprehensive Tiki drink menu. At most other like places I've been, you're lucky if they serve a Mai Tai.

And since Chris of "chrisandsarahb" fame will probably be there with his video camera, it might be a chance for him to do a YouTube clip like "Sven Kirsten, renowed writer and urban archeologist, explains Tiki-style to 5-year olds". You might laugh at that, but seriously I think no one appreciates Tiki more than kids. Our own distant childhood memories of mid-century Tiki are so powerful that it drives this sub-culture that refuses to die.

Ok, I'll shut-up now. :)

Go Panthers !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-15 07:26 ]

John-O, sure, bring all the children you want, they will love to explore that cavernous place.

And you're right, the "can this be called a Tiki mug" question has come up numerous times, and I have a had heated discussions insisting on my motto "If it says Tiki on it (or is called "Tiki"), it should have a Tiki in it!", especially when someone was pushing their white Benihana Buddha mugs a "Tiki mugs". :)

I'm definitely brining the camera. Already brainstormin some ideas. :wink:

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-15 10:03 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-15 10:33 ]

On 2010-06-15 07:20, JOHN-O wrote:
And since Chris of "chrisandsarahb" fame will probably be there with his video camera, it might be a chance for him to do a YouTube clip like "Sven Kirsten, renowed writer and urban archeologist, explains Tiki-style to 5-year olds".

On 2010-06-15 09:31, chrisandsarahb wrote:
I'm definitely brining the camera. Already brainstormin some ideas. :wink:

Oh jeez, THANKS John-O! I am not very comfortable "in the spotlight", folks, that's why I chose to become a cinematographer, because I like to stay BEHIND the camera. Sigh...well, as long as I can talk about what I know about, i.e. Tiki, I'll be OK. And there'll be lots of other folks to shoot, too. :)

Shooting a cinematographer, pressures on now. I don't know what I'm doing, just a hobby, LOL!

No worries Sven, it'll be more like a random series of shots to highlight the Bahooka and mug release. My stuff always turns out whacky. Although, a clip of you signing my mug or something would be tres cool. Plus, there are all those tikis, killer aquariums, and nautical stuff there, lots to shoot!

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-15 11:10 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-15 11:11 ]

I'll be with Camera in tow as well. I'm bettin' this is gonna be a really big party! I hope the weather will be generous on Saturday!!

Thankfully I'll have a warm up session at the Tiki Ti tomorrow to prepare myself for the fun times over the weekend!

T

How late will Jay Strongman be DJing? Definitely want to hang around for that!

Grenade with the Pin Pulled will go nicely in that AWESOME mug!!!

Awesome mug....I've got some maintenance to do on my car on Sat., so I'm really going to try and be there.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128803247139005

if anyone is on the 'book of faces' i made an event invite if anyone wants to RSVP and I can try to put some names to faces!

is it Saturday yet...?

J

Just look for BigTikiDude, he knows everyone and is great at welcoming people into the TC fold. I think Hanford should put him on the payroll.

What does he look like? He's a big Tiki dude !!

On 2010-06-17 11:30, JOHN-O wrote:
Just look for BigTikiDude, he knows everyone and is great at welcoming people into the TC fold. I think Hanford should put him on the payroll.

Well I'm still a newbie on the forums getting to know everyone so I might have to sport a 'Hello my name is' sticker..

R

OOPS!!!

kay, I'm a dork and COMPLETELY forgot to make reservations until just now and the earliest they have availability for a table now is 7pm.
I don't want to miss out on this mug... so I'm wondering:

will it be first come, first served?
Or as long as you show up before say- 8pm... you should be able to get at least 1?

Anyone, anyone?
(Bueller)?

[ Edited by: RoseRed 2010-06-17 16:45 ]

Weird! I called and they said, no RSVPs needed. BOO! I was scammed!

I need to work on that or crash someone's table! wink wink

J

OK, I can understand reservations for dinner seating but do you need them for the event?

I assumed the "party" would be in a separate area near the bar.

Also is there a limited supply of Bigbro's mug? I bought a Bahooka anniversary mug there several weeks after it was released (it's the sole Tiki mug that I own).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-17 17:05 ]

AMEN.

is it Saturday yet?

No worries, there are thousands of mugs (well, 2) and the place is certainly cavernous enough to hold mucho Ohana...don't know where I'll be sitting, I assume either in the big room by the entrance to the left, or the other big room straight thru at the end where the last Tiki event happened. And I plan to partake in the ribs and jams at some point, too. :) Yum!

R

On 2010-06-17 17:04, JOHN-O wrote:
OK, I can understand reservations for dinner seating but do you need them for the event?

I assumed the "party" would be in a separate area near the bar.

Also is there a limited supply of Bigbro's mug? I bought a Bahooka anniversary mug there several weeks after it was released (it's the sole Tiki mug that I own).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-17 17:05 ]

Hmmm, I didn't think of that. I don't really WANT a dinner reservation- just to hang with the TC peeps in the big room, get my drink n' mug, take a bunch o pix, show off my new KikiVonTiki dress that I won at the Mariepalooza Silent auction, and listen to happy tunes Strongman will b playing. So... I'd be HAPPY to give up my dinner reservations at 7pm .
(if anyone is interested PM me)

I'm sure we'll all figure it out! I'm there for the mug and drinks too!

On 2010-06-17 11:30, JOHN-O wrote:

HAHAHAHA!!
John, you're crazy.
1st, I don't know everybody.
2nd, some people don't like me,
3rd, and most important,
not everybody wants to meet me,
and I don't blame them.

Jeff(btd)

What! Jeff is that neighbour you love,that stops by every morning while you are having breakfast
for witty repartee & cocktail recipes.......... with your 16 year old daughter.

Everybody Loves Jeff! now stop with such talk!

J

Plus did I mention that BTD was very humble? :)

Let's get back to the subject and highlight some significant history for this event.

To me, the Bahooka is a real anomoly, it opened in 1976 when Tiki was well into the devolution stage. Now while I grew up in Rosemead, I was too young to care whether the current Tropical cocktail menu was in place. Also did the Bahooka have Tikis back in the 1970's? I don't remember. I know they currently brand themselves as "Tiki", but I'm not sure when that happend. Maybe the Bahooka is an example of a Beachcomber/Nautical establishment that opened in the middle of the devolution Disco days and then evolved into "Tiki" when the Revival took off.

In which case, Bigbro's mug might be a Tiki "evolution mug" and can be used to illustrate this fascinating theory. :)

Go Panthers !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-18 11:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies