Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Bahooka Mug Release Party June 19

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

H

On 2010-06-18 07:53, JOHN-O wrote:

To me, the Bahooka is a real anomoly, it opened in 1976 when Tiki was well into the devolution stage. ...

You must be getting dyslexic, the Bahooka opened in 1967.

Big Tiki Dude is my homeboy!!! I wish I could make the event but I am working :( have fun everybody!!!

As far as I can recall, it opened in its first location in 67, then branched out to Rosemead in the 70s, and eventually the older place closed. The TYPSY factor of Bahooka was indeed quite low. Initially, except for that one beautiful Ku by the entrance, there were no carvings to be found, so technically it is a prime example for Beachcomber style --which is an integral part of Tiki style :) . And they have have added some contempo Tikis since.

Also, Bahooka has special significance for me, because it was here, at an anchor chain held table in 1991, that I made up my mind that I was the one who had to write the book on Tiki (excerpt from Tiki Magazine):

Sounds like a great event, will be down south this weekend and hope to make it.

How did this guy get a mug already? And why is he selling on ebay for 2.5 face value?

DC

On 2010-06-18 10:02, Dustycajun wrote:
Sounds like a great event, will be down south this weekend and hope to make it.

How did this guy get a mug already? And why is he selling on ebay for 2.5 face value?

DC

At the risk of offending someone here, the answers to your questions are:

1. I don't know, and
  2. Probably because he's a douche.

Is the new Bahooka mug some sort of limited run? Or will it be available to anyone who visits the restaurant for the forseeable future?

On 2010-06-17 17:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
No worries, there are thousands of mugs (well, 2).....

As far as I know, only the Bahooka owner(s) and Holden have that mug --I have one sample in a standard brown glaze. So maybe someone there decided to make an extra buck.

i just posted a question to the ebay page to see if this guy has a fantastic story to explain why he's being a turd and selling that mug on ebay.

V

Awesome mug. Congrats to everyone involved in making it.

[ Edited by: virani 2010-06-18 10:56 ]

On 2010-06-18 10:02, Dustycajun wrote:

DC

My guess: He took the pic on TC and added a background then slapped it up on ebay to end AFTER the event where he will buy one or three or more. Now for the price, sounds familiar...

J

On 2010-06-18 08:53, Hakalugi wrote:

The one on Rosemead Blvd opened in 1976.

I know for sure because I went to Rosemead High School across the street. :)

I never went to the other location.

Go Panthers !!

On 2010-06-18 11:08, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2010-06-18 08:53, Hakalugi wrote:

The one on Rosemead Blvd opened in 1976.

I know for sure because I went to Rosemead High School across the street. :)

I never went to the other location.

Go Panthers !!

Nevertheless, the Rosemead location was an expansion of their lineage which began in 1967. It's not like they were coming in cold in the middle of the Tiki devolution stage.

(I'm just playing devil's advocate with your previously stated theory :) )

On 2010-06-17 17:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
No worries, there are thousands of mugs (well, 2) and the place is certainly cavernous enough to hold mucho Ohana...don't know where I'll be sitting, I assume either in the big room by the entrance to the left, or the other big room straight thru at the end where the last Tiki event happened. And I plan to partake in the ribs and jams at some point, too. :) Yum!

There's actually a total of 1000 of the Bahooka mug in this glaze that were produced.

As for that mug being sold, my guess is that one of the Bahooka's clients bilked it out of them. Suzanne has told me countless times that she's being bugged daily about the mug for some time now and they just received them a few days back for this weekend's show. I assume probably somebody let one go as she told me that some people were even a bit rude about wanting one early.

[ Edited by: makedamug 2010-06-18 12:13 ]

Just an FYI ...this is HB Tiki that is offering this mug.I don't know how he was able
to get mug etc.however I have met him before and seemed like a real nice guy .
I can not comment or vouch why he is offering the mug before the release or the
price .Holden and Sven , the mugs really looks great and so very unique from any
thing I have seen in the past.Great job ,you should really be proud of the end result.

Wow... just for the record. I know I posted looking for people to grab a mug or two for me, since I am VERY far from the event. But whoever is trying to sell one there on ebay is not me.
Just didn't want anyone thinking it might be, since I had asked. I love that place! And just wish I could be there for the release.

I hope you all have a great time! Have GoGo light something on fire for me... and drink up!

Tell 'em Colin, with the big ears, says hi :drink:

There's actually a total of 1000 of the Bahooka mug in this glaze that were produced.

As for that mug being sold, my guess is that one of the Bahooka's clients bilked it out of them. Suzanne has told me countless times that she's being bugged daily about the mug for some time now and they just received them a few days back for this weekend's show. I assume probably somebody let one go as she told me that some people were even a bit rude about wanting one early.

SHEESH! no need to be rude about it, PLENTY to go around..

I'm planning on hitting Bahooka on my way back from Tiki Oasis. Make sure to save us some mugs!

Badd HB Tiki,Badd

Well, this Tiki trade "scandal" is certainly helping to keep this threat on top in the hotly contested Tiki Events section!

On one hand I am shocked that already before it's release my virginally innocent creation is misused for personal monetary gain....while my pragmatic side shrugs its shoulders and says "C'est la vie !" - especially these days, were we all are struggling to keep our heads over water. And I am sure HB really likes the mug, as he had this to say about it earlier:

On 2010-02-27 09:41, HB TIKI wrote:
It is really a nice mug, when you look at the mug you know it is for Bahooka tiki bar. Also, nice to have the name Bahooka on the front of the mug.

:) It's all good.

J

Hey after all, this is America. Who say's Tikiphiles have to conform to a higher moral standard ??

"Caveat Emptor"

:D

And BTW, who's Dr. Bruce Elliot (Academy of Advanced Tiki Studies) ?? I'm tempted to call that phone number.

Go Panthers !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-18 18:44 ]

So wrong John-O,Chivas Regal Chivalry says different and I am all about chivalrous, baby!

On 2010-06-18 18:24, JOHN-O wrote:
And BTW, who's Dr. Bruce Elliot (Academy of Advanced Tiki Studies) ?? I'm tempted to call that phone number.

That would have to be a phone call to the hereafter, I am sorry to say

R

On 2010-06-17 21:08, RoseRed wrote:

On 2010-06-17 17:04, JOHN-O wrote:
OK, I can understand reservations for dinner seating but do you need them for the event?

I assumed the "party" would be in a separate area near the bar.

Also is there a limited supply of Bigbro's mug? I bought a Bahooka anniversary mug there several weeks after it was released (it's the sole Tiki mug that I own).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-17 17:05 ]

Hmmm, I didn't think of that. I don't really WANT a dinner reservation- just to hang with the TC peeps in the big room, get my drink n' mug, take a bunch o pix, show off my new KikiVonTiki dress that I won at the Mariepalooza Silent auction, and listen to happy tunes Strongman will b playing. So... I'd be HAPPY to give up my dinner reservations at 7pm .
(if anyone is interested PM me)

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! 2:37pm 6/19
My friend JUST flaked on me this morning, so I have an extra seat at my table if anyone want's want it... it's 4 7pm though. PM me if u do.
Thanx,
Rosered :)

Hope everyone has a great time tonight!

Managed to snap a few before the batteries went dead. I'm sure they'll be more pictures, as I saw a lot of cameras tonight!
Sure was a lot of fun!

Such a good time! I'm headed to location 2, but I was the shy fellow in the corner with my other half, sitting with the Purple Orchid owners and getting plowed on I don't know how many drinks! I need to lose the shyness! I"ll post my photos later..

P

you know, i've spent a lot of time with a lot of tiki people in person. i've had a great time with pretty much all of them. i go into threads that interest me where i know there will be stories and pictures of great times. most of those times feature people i know. i love to see them having fun. it makes me smile.

it seems that almost every thread i go into some dick has posted one freaking thing that made him/her upset. why does this person feel it's necessary to just make sure that something was done wrong or they were offended?

things that are often looked at with pleasure in mind rather than criticism will leave you happier and with a little less stress in your life. let the small stuff go.

when i was 13 my best friend had a small skin tag. it really bothered me for some reason. i bugged him about it until he rubbed it off of his face. he bled for an hour and i felt like shit. i'm sure in time it would've gone away and we'd both have forgotten about it, or at least i would've. it meant nothing in the long run. i still feel bad about it sometimes. it wasn't worth it.

Pdrake, In what context was your post referring to? I did not read a post of someone being a dick? here.
I am not being judgmental,just a bit confused as to what post you are talking about?

P

not you . . .

i just hate to see negative feelings tossed around. more often than not they have to do with internal conflict rather than external.

cheers!!

have fun and enjoy life my friend!

Oh I knew it was not me, I only Think Bad thoughts.
I would be the first one sent to the cornfield.

Great times, great place, great peeps, and great mug!

Cheers to Sven, Holden and the Bahooka family for a great mug and an even better mug release party.

DC

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2010-06-21 06:36 ]

R

On 2010-06-19 22:35, carlosrossi wrote:
Such a good time! I'm headed to location 2, but I was the shy fellow in the corner with my other half, sitting with the Purple Orchid owners and getting plowed on I don't know how many drinks! I need to lose the shyness! I"ll post my photos later..

YES! You do Carlos. You were so stealthy, that I didn't even SEE you(and I was lookin)!!!

On 2010-06-20 09:18, RoseRed wrote:

On 2010-06-19 22:35, carlosrossi wrote:

YES! You do Carlos. You were so stealthy, that I didn't even SEE you(and I was lookin)!!!

My Dark & Tiki self blends well in the shadows!

Everybody: Thank you for all the enthusiasm and love you brought forward for my humble creation, it was really a wonderful experience to meet y'all. A special thank you for all those determined Tikiphiles who came from far away and braved the traffic, and to those kind hearts who got mugs for people as far as the East coast.

And thank you to all my old friends and familiar fans who came to share this golden hour in my Tiki life, and to Jay for making the environs dance, and to Holden for making all this possible.

One of the greatest rewards was hearing stories from the Bahooka waitresses and owners how much notice this mug has garnered for the restaurant, and to see the charge they were getting from that, and to know that I had made a contribution to getting this wonderful, original haven more attention and business in these hard times.

Agreed.
It was amazing to see such a gathering of amazing and genuinely nice people all celebrating a local/legendary establishment. I can't wait to see everyone again at other events! I'm gonna try to make the Tonga tonight, and do it all over! Also, Sven congrats on all your success! Thanks for signing my Tiki Modern book!

This was a great event! I really dig the times when we can all get together and not get lost amongst the throngs of countless people. It gives us time to catch-up and hang out with our Ohana, just like in the old days. Mahalo to all who showed up and mahalo again for all of the kind words regarding the new Bahooka mug. The "Bahooka Family" is so great to work with and their enthusiasm with this mug project made it that much more enjoyable and a lot less like "work".

I unfortunately couldn't make it out last night. I hope there are some mugs left?

Looks like everyone had a great time! But, then again... who doesn't have a great time at Bahooka?!?

And a big, huge, thank you to - you know what? I actually don't even know your name on here - but Deb, you know who you are :)
Thank you so much for getting a mug for me, from one of my favorite places. And the couple pics you sent me... always a nice little bonus to see Samantha's smiling face!

Can't wait to see some more pics!

R

Man, what a great night for a great mug with great friends.

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Holden, Sven and Suzanne at Bahooka for organizing such a great event last night. Love the new mugs and can't wait to see more from the "Sven Kirsten Kollection" !

Good times indeed.
Between the Mug, the food, some drinks, and a Sven DVD.
I dropped close to 100 bucks,
yikes!!

and boy was I feeling the pain later last night, and this morning.

But it was a blast indeed.
Great tunes Jay, I always love to hear ya spin.

Jeff(btd)

Super Fun Party! Awesome Mug! Thank you Bahooka, Sven, Jay and Holden for throwing a killah bash! We had an absolute blast! That Grenade with the Pin Pulled and Gold Cup, mighty tasty!!

Oh Yah, my video take of the whole event, crazy as always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaZ97bjosU

Cheers!

Chris

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-20 23:18 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-20 23:25 ]

my Wahine!

and ME!

Thanks for the Pics peeps,
and Chris, super fun video.

Jeff(btd)

Yes, indeed, not only your editing, but your sound mix is top notch. And your shooting too. Those low light situations are a bitch, and as soon as you turn on a fill light it blows the mood.

Ahh Carlos, you were sitting right behind me. Now, I know what you look like.

Mahalo Jeff and Sven! Yah, its always tough shooting in the low light conditions, especially room crawls. I found a little light, but its got low and high, and the low is not low enough. I wish it had a dimmer I could control. Nothing like blinding someone having a good time, AHH! Punch! Owww!

Sven, the best shot of the night was you putting together those glow 'n' the dark leis with those kids. Super cool! Goes back to what John-O was saying, LOL!

Again, really great mug and party! :wink:

R

On 2010-06-20 23:17, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Super Fun Party! Awesome Mug! Thank you Bahooka, Sven, Jay and Holden for throwing a killah bash! We had an absolute blast! That Grenade with the Pin Pulled and Gold Cup, mighty tasty!!

Oh Yah, my video take of the whole event, crazy as always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaZ97bjosU

SUPER fun party and a video to capture the memories. AWESOME! as Karen would say (as I OFTEN do)
Woo-HOO!!!!
_Rosered :)

Cheers!

Chris

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-20 23:18 ]

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-06-20 23:25 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies