Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Place to stay, ie hotel, motel near Tiki Ti?

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

Well it looks like Barb and Tikiskip will be going to Tiki Ti on Wednesday June 30th. 7:00?
So is there a hotel, motel kinda close by that is Safe, clean that we can stay at
after all those drinks?
Would like to meet some TC folks as well.

Tikiskip,

Have a great time. You should try to make it to Bahooka too to get the new Sven mug.

Check this topic under Tiki Travel for your answers.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36871&forum=16&5

DC

P

There is a three room/suite hotel above the El Chavo Mexican restaurant next door to Tiki Ti.

http://www.eltresinn.com/

On 2010-06-26 14:35, PiPhiRho wrote:
There is a three room/suite hotel above the El Chavo Mexican restaurant next door to Tiki Ti.

He said "safe"

P

On 2010-06-26 19:25, bananabobs wrote:

On 2010-06-26 14:35, PiPhiRho wrote:

He said "safe"

Perfectly safe. Probablt moreso than other hotels in the area.

T

Thanks for the tips all.
Will try to hit Bahooka as well.
We are at the half moon Inn now.
Going to the Del Cornado in a few days.
And will have a room at the Del for that night.
Just don't know if we can make the drive back after the Ti.

PS To my brother, Pepole are watching my house so stay outta my pool!!

A

I don't know anything about it, but this one is close:

http://www.losfelizlodge.com

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2010-06-27 09:02 ]

I

I'm with Banana Bob. I personally would not stay in that area. If you think you're going to drink that much, why not take a cab? A few extra dollars is worth not driving drunk. I always take a cab when I'm in Ft. Lauderdale drinking at the Mai Kai. Sadly (or maybe not so sadly) the Mai Kai was my first experience, so I am just not that impressed with the Tiki Ti drinks. And I wanted to be. I really did. I think it's totally overhyped. I get better drinks at home with Bum's books.

T

I think Barb and I will just go early and leave early.
My wife does not drink as much as I, and she can even
go without booze, Nuts I say.
Thanks all for the tips!!

J

On 2010-06-28 18:09, irishf wrote:

...so I am just not that impressed with the Tiki Ti drinks. And I wanted to be. I really did. I think it's totally overhyped.

It really kills me to admit it, but there is truth to those statements. Still Tiki-Ti will always be significant for it's direct lineage back to the birth of Tiki.

These days I think the best mixology is going on at the Tonga Hut from 4pm-8pm on weekends. The hype is real there !!

On 2010-06-28 19:18, tikiskip wrote:
I think Barb and I will just go early and leave early.
My wife does not drink as much as I, and she can even
go without booze, Nuts I say.
Thanks all for the tips!!

Don't deny your wife the pleasure of a Torro, Ray's Mistake, or whatever.
Take a taxi, although it may be more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale.

I’ll try and be there early Wednesday Tikiskip, sorry that you won’t be able to meet John-O though as he’ll be placing his drink order at the Tonga Hut where with any luck maybe it will be ready on Saturday afternoon.

Maybe. :roll:

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 10:53 PM

That's a bit unfair to the Tonga Hut and Hiphipahula, Boris. The times GROG has seen you at the Tonga Hut is when there is a big event going on, and there's so many people there that even GROG not try ordering drinks until the crowd has gotten smaller.

Come in on a regular Saturday, or a Sunday when Marty Lush is DJing and most of the TC regulars that frequent the T.H. are there. Order one of Kelly's drinks off her special menu , and you'll get you're drink in a reasonable amount of time, and it will be muy delicioso. There's usually Nacho's and melted cheese, and some other snacks to chow on. A good time is had by all. GROG was there until closing last night, and GROG can't even have much alcohol (Not supposed to have any because of the gout, but GROG have one or two from the Grog Log to finish up and join the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard.)
Lisa Marie invented the "Passion Soda" for GROG (a non-alcoholic Tiki drink) and Kelly has the "Teeny Wahine", so GROG can still hang out and drink and not imbibe too much alcohol.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 10:57 PM

GROG try and make it over to the Tiki Ti on Wednesday to meet you for a drink Tikiskip.

GROG as you know the wait for drinks at the Tonga Hut as always been long even before the drinks got good, even a beer can take 10 minutes. On the weekends Tiki-Ti can be just as crowded as any Tonga Hut event but the wait is much less. I'm not saying I don't prefer Tiki-Ti to the Tonga Hut because I do, I prefer the drinks and atmosphere of Tiki-Ti to the Tonga Hut + it's about 13 miles closer to my house but that doesn't mean I won't pop into the Tonga Hut on occasion I will and while I appreciate the fact that both bars have been around a long time I'm going to frequent the one that has been tasty that whole time a little more often than the other. I don't think that's unreasonable, if it is than I'm Mr. Unreasonable. :)

CJ

BORIS!-Stop the tonga hut bashing! both places have their positives and negatives yet both are equally awesome

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2010-06-29 12:48 ]

NEVER!! :lol:

I'm sorry I thought this was a thread about Tiki-Ti, it's not really Tonga Hut bashing it's Tiki-Ti defending.

• Mr. Unreasonable.
J

Tiki-Ti cocktails are good but (IMHO) they used to be GREAT, the Best, Numero Uno. Ichiban !! What happened in the last year or so? Maybe it's just me? Are the juices still freshly squeezed? Is the rum still top-shelf?

Please bring back the greatness to this holiest of holy Tiki Meccas. The 50th anniverary is approaching.

• Mr. Reasonable :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-06-29 09:54 ]

T

AS an out of towner who's been to both the Tonga Hut & Tiki Ti in the past year we found both places were enjoyable with slightly different vibes. REALLY enjoyed Ray's Mistake @ the Tiki Ti! The Ohana were GREAT @ both places! Thortiki

T

I would say you who are in cali are so blessed to have
as many to choose from.
Not to mention, well.. all most everything else.
Went to the maratime museum in San Diego, Just awesome!!
I have a light I would like to give to the Tonga Hut for
their 50th, I know I'm late.
But do not know if we will make it to the tonga hut.
So if I could leave it with someone at Tiki Ti that would be nice.
Got one for Tiki Ti as well, Hope they hage em. (both are small)
So much to see so little time!

Hope to meet many TCers.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2010 9:54 AM

GROG not hang out too long at Tiki Ti since GROG not supposed to be drinking alcohol (and their drinks are strong).

Wednesday night is RUMPUS ROOM night at Kirby's, so GROG will be at the Tiki Ti early, and then head over to the RUMPUS ROOM.

What time are you going to be there Boris and Tikiskip?

GROG
Get better soon Tiki-Kate and Marie.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-06-29 09:55 ]

J

Grog, you're like a Priest hanging out at the Playboy Mansion now. :D

We will shoot for 7:00.
Going to OA and maybe Tiki farm.
Grog I got a small light you can take to Kirby's for me.
Don't think we will be at Tiki Ti long as well.
Thanks for comming out!!
Um... to the bar that is.

Hopefully I'll catch you there at 8, and if anything you gotta stay for the toast to Ray at 9pm sharp!

CJ

On 2010-06-29 00:44, JOHN-O wrote:
Tiki-Ti cocktails are good but (IMHO) they used to be GREAT, the Best, Numero Uno. Ichiban !! What happened in the last year or so? Maybe it's just me? Are the juices still freshly squeezed? Is the rum still top-shelf?

Please bring back the greatness to this holiest of holy Tiki Meccas. The 50th anniverary is approaching.

you don't know what you're talking about

On 2010-06-29 12:51, Coco Joe wrote:

On 2010-06-29 00:44, JOHN-O wrote:

you don't know what you're talking about

Agreed Joe..We were at the Tiki-Ti a couple of weeks ago...I think one of the changes that people are noticing is that Mike Sr. is semi-retired now, all he does is check IDs at the door. The reins are all in the hands of Mike Jr. and his brother Mark. We had the pleasure of sitting at the bar for an hour or two and having Mark make us drinks..what a cool guy he is. Give him some time to catch up to his older brother and his dad. We didn't notice any detectable decline in drink quality while we were there..but after the first one it gets kind of hard to distinguish :wink:

PS The juices were NEVER freshly squeezed at the Tiki Ti...and the rum has always been middle shelf at best.

J

On 2010-06-29 19:22, Jason Wickedly wrote:

PS The juices were NEVER freshly squeezed at the Tiki Ti...and the rum has always been middle shelf at best.

Not even in the Ray days ?? !! :o Isn't fresh juice and rum quality what separates a good Tropical cocktail from a great one ?? (Boris, is speed worth that trade-off ??)

I guess my alcoholic tastebuds have been elevated as of late with the TH and DTBC.

Still no place oozes the unbroken mid-century Tiki character better than the Ti. :)

D

You go John O!! I'm with ya.

Pages: 1 27 replies