Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

amybean's Gallery of Tiki Toys

Pages: 1 34 replies

A

Hello! First of all, thanks for all the inspiration here in TC world!

I've been wanting to make some Hawaiian shirts, so I thought I'd start small.

I submitted 2 figures to the KidRobot annual Munny Munth contest.
The game is to customize the 7" Munny figure within the month of June.
http://sites.kidrobot.com/munnymunth/entries.php

If you are not familiar with vinyl platform toys, here's a quick look:
http://sites.kidrobot.com/munnyworld/?p=about

I did a regular fashion photo shoot with the 4 figures, and these are the shots I wound up submitting:
The mugs are made of polymer clay, paint, toothpicks, and nail polish. The faces drawn on with a Sharpie.

Mrs. Tiki and Son

Tiki Bob mug detail

Mr. Tiki and son

Outrigger mug detail

I've been making limited edition figure toys since the mid '90's, but
only recently picked up some vinyl customs. Here's a 4" glow in the dark
shrunken head figure: That's a painted polymer clay bone, some plastic wig hair,
and embroidery thread.

Currently working also on some plush tikis, and some wall mounted masks. With glowing eyes!
I've got a bit of a work in progress thread called cardboard tikis over in Other Crafts section.

See ya!

T

Mr. & Mrs. Tiki and sons...KILLER! (love the nod to Tiki Bob and Outrigger too. Very creative and inspiring!)

The glow in the dark shrunken head is pretty cool too. I would hang one of those off of a rear-view mirror in an instant :)

Thanks for posting Amybean. G

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2010 10:34 AM

Good stuff. GROG like.

LOVE'em, Amy! How about a pic of the whole family together? How small are those drinks? Maybe a pic of them with something for scale?

That's so cool Amy!

A

Oh yeah!

Tiki Family Portrait

Mr. and Mrs. Tiki

Tiki Brothers

tiny tiki mug

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-06-29 12:20 ]

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-06-29 12:26 ]

Very cool!

Those figures are in the Munny!!!! EZ Munny!!! Very nice with great clothes and accesories! Mr Tiki even has a Atomic Tiki Punk soul patch! Good luck with the contest.

(Did you here about the polyvinyl monkey who crapped in the cash register? He said "This is going to run into the Munny!" :lol: :D :lol: )

A

Thanks, thanks, all ya'll!!

The entries are loading up fast and furious in the final hours...tomorrow is the last day to submit.
Gotta say- there are tons of cool entries. The judges look like they are from all over the place.
Bazillions of prizes. Hope one for meeeeee.. :) !!

Amy~Those figures & accessories are amazing!
Thank you so much for sharing.
~kele

TK

as soon as the wife and granddaughter saw these, they harmonized.."awww, how cute."

Smiles galore!
You can totally feel the love and playfulness in each one!
GLOW-IN-THE-DARK...
!!!!!!!
Thank you for letting us peek into your world amybeans!
:)

A

About 11 years ago, I was in the thick of things with a business I owned called Big Fun! Amusement Devices. It was dedicated to making prototypes for toy companies and assorted businesses. In between jobs, I would push ahead on some ideas that were keeping me up at night. This piece is from a collection of finger puppets with a "messing up their hair" theme. (it is the only tiki figure of that bunch)

Tiki Goth was sculpted in oil clay, then cast in soft foam and painted. There's a flat styrene bone in the hair and it's mounted on a stick inside the box. You can wiggle the head thru a hole in the bottom. The face is about 2" tall and the box (made of painted foam core and clear acrylic) stands 6". There is a bamboo pattern carved into the paint.

Adorable, Wendy

HL

Amazing work Amy!! I can't get over those teeny tiny tiki drinks! wow!

A

Thanks, Guys and Gals, and everyone for stopping by!

Made a whole mess of tiki themed pieces and temporary bars and events in the late 90's, but the photos are kinda crappy...
I'll probably just wait and post the new stuff.

A

Finishing up some wall mounted tikis sculpted with cardboard.

This figure is 15" tall, made of cardboard, hot glue, wood glue, paints, vellum, and a programmable chip.
Two LEDs (one red, one yellow) flicker in a random pattern, and look like a flame gently burning inside.
This time I added an on/off switch, so the batteries will last longer. Progress!

This piece was commissioned by a friend
as a gift for his buddy's home tiki bar in ABQ.

TK

HS.... that is soooooo sweet.

T

Now that is a stunner amy -

Cardboard and glues and paint and vellum have never looked better together than this.

ROCK ON!! G

A

Thanks very much, tiki pals! On to the next 2 figures, for someone else...

Very labor intensive, but getting better at managing the work flow.

Nice,nice,nice!

It is a thing of beauty, you would never know it started out as cardboard!

A

After months of hacking, and plenty of help from my programmer sweetie, it's finally alive! and ready for clicks:

http://cozyrampage.com

It's Neo-Crappy and gives you a peek into my cozy world.

There's a l'il tiki section.

I'll add more stuff after a good long nap.
Thanks for lookin!

Very cute tiki lamp there!

Hi Amy!
Checked out the site,major fun, but have you been holding out on the dinner thread!
I saw the food portion on the site,very cool.

A

Thanks so much for having a look!

Lost in the Sauce...it's real stuff. I think I need to leave myself a note in the kitchen- cuz I've been forgetting to take pix of dinner!!

I am a fool for things that glow in the dark. When I turn the light off in my office you can still find your way around from the unearthly glow of Ninja Turtles and Universal Monsters. I am a self named authority on glowy plastic, and that shrunken head is one of the coolest glowy plastic things ever!!

A

Thank you! Some new stuff coming soon...

A

A big customized toy show opens next Sat Dec 11 in SF. My husband and I were invited to participate.
Everyone gets the same set of 2 hollow vinyl toy figures designed by the people hosting the exhibit.
The figures are about 4.5 and 6 inches tall.

Here is the info on the show:
http://www.newpeopleworld.com/arts/love-movement/

Here are the two figures we made:
It's titled- "Jumbo Shrimp". They depict a scene from a documentary we'll make one day
about back yard grillin an chillin. (something we do a lot of)

The lights inside flicker at a random rate. There are on/off switches this time!
The mugs and food were made with polymer clay. I based the bathing suit on the Esther Williams classic,
which, who knew? you can still order online. (I got one in black- it's very nice) And the mugs you'll probably recognize
as Robot Tikis from Tiki Farm. They are about 3/4" tall. #11 Xacto blades rule!! The shirt is both hand and machine stitched.
It took a week to make that pattern hang right. I had to make it removable so as to be able to replace the batteries, so the front
snaps shut.

Anyhow, if someone buys this piece, I'll include some favorite recipes such as:
chili lime shrimp, strawberry salad, and grilled scallions.

I'll take more photos before it goes away on Tues.
Thanks for lookin!

It's always fun to look at your work, Wendy

Very cool Amy. Love the little Zen gardener :)

A

Thanks, Wendy and Mike!

My real garden is kind of a disaster. One can dream, eh?

The figures are great, Amy! Tiny drinks & sushi in the tiny zen garden... perfect!
~kele

Truly fun characters. :wink:

A

Ah Kele you made some tiny mugs too! I had to revisit that BOTP swap. Do you have more pictures?
Thanks Vampiress!

Pages: 1 34 replies