Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New guy looking for some assistance.

Pages: 1 3 replies

I did a search for how tos and help for the new guy but not much came up. I am new and always thought tiki art was entrancing. Something about the rawness of it. Anyway i wanted to start doing smaller tiki statues mainly sizes you would use a dremel on. Anyone got any advice a new guy, dremel tips, designing, step by step for the first time kinda things.. Thanks alot.

P

My process is pretty simple.

Strip the bark, draw out the design, cut it, torch it, sand it.

And spend a few bucks on a couple of good quality chisels. Cheap Chinese crap isn't worth messing with (been there - done that).

Best thing to do: get a few simple tools, find some ideas here to try out, get some wood to work with, and have at it.

In my opinion the draw out is one of the most important steps, as it is essentially your template, so take your time and do that part right & everything else should fall into place.

Trial and error...don't be afraid to make some mistakes, then just grind 'em off and start over!

Best of luck.

S

Trial and error big one. Keep looking and reading posts here you will get some ideas.
Dremel is good for the finish work. (tight areas hard to get at and or areas your chisel's dont do what you want them to do.

Buy a nice set of small chisels and practice.

P

Hey also, there are a lot of videos on youtube if you enter "carving tikis","making tikis", etc., that can be very helpful.

One of the first things I did when I started messing around with tikis was to watch every youtube instructional video I could find. Free is free!

Pages: 1 3 replies