Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palm Tree for free - Westminster, CA

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

Aloha kakou,

I have a large palm tree in my front yard. Take it. Its yours ! Perfect for carving.

Please email me for further info.

Mahalo,
Pat Palika Enos
[email protected]

H

Why would you want to get rid of a perfectly good palm tree, or is there something wrong with it?

Oh I get it. It's not really your house. It's a prank on an unruly neighbor! The neighbor will come home to a missing tree. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me guess. You want the tree cut down for free in exchange for trunks? The palm looks like a Royal Palm, although the bark is really strong, the wood grain is really stringy & 2 soft to hold a good edge.

[ Edited by: coconuttzo 2010-07-20 09:08 ]

P

^ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing ^

Looks like a royal or queen. Definitely NOT perfect for carving.

Looks like you're gonna have to pay to get that one hauled off!

T

On 2010-07-15 01:40, coconuttzo wrote:
Let me guess. You want the tree cut down for free in exchange for trunks?

Why fault him for that? Sounds like pretty creative thinking actually. It may not work out since it's not an optimal palm for carving, but I give him credit for giving it a shot.

T

I believe I met this gentle sir at a recent show .
I told him to put up a post, You never know.
When i could not get any wood to carve I would of done anything!!

Hey Palika,
look on craigs list - there are company's that remove live trees to sell to other buyers (cities, developers, etc that want live mature trees) Some claim they remove for free, but I would imagine the tree would have to be perfect for that.

I've never tried them, but I see their adds all the time, maybe they are at least worth a call??? might save you some $$??? and you can keep the tree alive.

Don't fault him for trying! but yeah, unfortunately that palm is not the palm that most carvers like to use.

Good luck!

On 2010-07-15 01:40, coconuttzo wrote:
Let me guess. You want the tree cut down for free in exchange for trunks?

I apologize if I've offended anyone by saying this & in what I'm about to say now. I just need to get it off my chest before someone learns the hard way.

Yes, it is a creative way of finding a solution, I'll give him that, but not when there is so much risk involved. Maybe if Palika had the tree cut down already, logs are on the ground & then post a "Free Logs" sign/message, It's a whole lot safer that way.

I am sure that the last thing Palika would want is for any TOM, DICK, or HARRY to show up with no tree working experience other than using a chainsaw for woodcarving and start taking down a 45' tall, 5 ton palm tree that is less than 20' away from a beautiful house. These videos are perfect examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cox9-Q605Io&annotation_id=annotation_837226&feature=iv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_dQ7850jc&feature=related

These tree guys were found thru craigslist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrvqwNdb5g&feature=related

My advice to you Palika is to find a reputable, licensed tree guy/companies(make sure they have insurance) to make a competitive bid on the job. Tell them the situation; "you can't really afford to have it done." Who can? Mention who you've had over to take a look at the tree. Chances are they know each other's competitive prices & will try to beat it. "DO NOT," tell them the other guy's price. "DO," have everything they will do along with guarantees promised in writing. When your choice is made, make sure that contract is signed by both parties. This recession is actually the best time to have guys bid because your job is a hot commodity now. Every tree company is looking for jobs which are pretty scarce now.

I am a professional Tree Worker & unfortunately I do not live near you or your state but the best take it or leave it deal I would offer is a ballpark figure of $1,500 cash. What that entails is that the tree is professionally cut down ONLY. No debris will be hauled away(keeping your costs down). My proposal/contract would read some thing like this: "You are guaranteed that there will be no damage to the house, sidewalk, street signs or street. Planters & plants might get some minor(easy to fix)damage, if any. Lawn, possible minor damage, another easy fix."

I am not licensed or have any liability insurance but I have been working with trees for 17 years & am a superintendant for a tree company here in Hawaii. You should expect about $500-$1000 increase with an insured & a licensed company. Especially if heavy equipment is involved like a crane, bucket/boom truck. Another $1,000-$1,500 if you want the debris cleaned & hauled away. Remember the saying, 'you get what you paid for.' If the price is too low, ask for job references. Too many have called us after they've hired the lowest bidder to fix the job because of poor work standards/ethics. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Aloha & Good Luck!

[ Edited by: coconuttzo 2010-07-19 23:16 ]

P

To say that you're offended because people barter services on craigslist seems ridiculous to me. People have been bartering goods and services since the very beginning of commerce. If someone wants to gamble on a barter instead of shelling out a grand or 2 to have "professionals" come out and do it, that's their house & their business.

No one "owes you" their business just because you're a professional.

ALoHA an Mahalo Palika,

Mahalo For posting your tree on Tiki Central. I hope people continue to post, despite negative responses!

If I were anywhere near westminster I'd take you up on the tree offer. Yeah it's a lot of work, but hey it would be an experience, and I may even meet some genuine people in the process.

Like anywhere on this planet you'll often run in to petty Nay-sayyers. Who want to put a price tag on every last thing on this planet.

If one takes the time to dry the palm out slowly they can make some fairly decent tikis,

yeah it's stringy, and it will get caught up in your your power tools, but if you use a sharp chisel, it cuts like butter. No mallet neccesary.

Not saying this is the best example, but it was a similar tree cut out of my sisters yard. It is great to work with and practice with. I would do it again, perhaps with better results next time.

TIKI ON!

On 2010-07-19 12:40, pjc5150 wrote:
If someone wants to gamble on a barter instead of shelling out a grand or 2 to have "professionals" come out and do it, that's their house & their business.

No one "owes you" their business just because you're a professional.

Maybe I came across the wrong way, again I'm sorry for that. Yes, no one owes me their business. It was just a friendly suggestion & I was only giving him advice. If he does find someone that is willing to do it, then I'm all for it. Good for him. He scores big time. Have you even watched the videos?

I was just giving him a ballpark figure so that he could have an idea of what he'd be lookin at. That's all. It was not my intention to get his business. I thought I was helping him so he could make an informed decision. Again, apologies to Palika or anyone here if I've offended them. Go get that tree if you want it. JUST BE CAREFUL & WORK SAFE!

Good Luck

Palika, I think Polynesiac may be on the right track - that tree is probably worth a lot more alive than dead (price a little palm at the nursery and think about what a big one is worth)

I have some large Canary Island palms in my yard and someone knocked on my door offering me big bucks to buy them for transplanting.

On 2010-07-19 17:04, Cap'n Pharaoh wrote:
ALoHA an Mahalo Palika,

Mahalo For posting your tree on Tiki Central. I hope people continue to post, despite negative responses!

If I were anywhere near westminster I'd take you up on the tree offer. Yeah it's a lot of work, but hey it would be an experience, and I may even meet some genuine people in the process.

Like anywhere on this planet you'll often run in to petty Nay-sayyers. Who want to put a price tag on every last thing on this planet.

If one takes the time to dry the palm out slowly they can make some fairly decent tikis,

yeah it's stringy, and it will get caught up in your your power tools, but if you use a sharp chisel, it cuts like butter. No mallet neccesary.

Not saying this is the best example, but it was a similar tree cut out of my sisters yard. It is great to work with and practice with. I would do it again, perhaps with better results next time.

TIKI ON!

That tiki looks great! How many of those could you carve from a tree that big?

Pages: 1 12 replies