Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Baby's Arrival: Goodbye to Tiki, or can there be hope for a Tiki Nursery?

Pages: 1 14 replies

I am sure others have addressed this issue.
My Tiki den will be transformed into Baby's room.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can we all get along?"
However, it has been suggested to me - while shopping at Baby's R Us - that more appropriate
art will have to go on the wall, my Tiki mug collection will be replaced and Bamboo Ben's bar will have to go into storage.

Does anyone have photos, or is this just the way of the Hawaiian Hut, to have a run in splendor, but to ultimately fall prey to something new, shiny for the next generation?

D
DJKen posted on Thu, Jul 29, 2010 9:38 AM

:wink:

Congrats on the new arrival, kids are GREAT!!!

The Disney Tiki theme would be very cool!!!

J

Our wee one moved into what was the tiki room when she arrived. Just about everything went into storage. I guess ceramic mugs, bamboo and bottles of alcohol were not "baby friendly".
Either I get to build an outside tiki bar or I wait until she goes off to college, I guess.

J

Hi Christiki,

My three kids have had a tiki nursery, starting with my daughter Sydney who is 5 now. My two-month old son now has the tiki nursery. We also did the kids' bathroom with tiki decor. Below is a link to the post I started on tikicentral with pictures of the "Enchanted Tiki [Bed]room" that my wife and I made. The pictures were taken several years ago, so there are additions to the room. I have the large figure tiki-drummer replica from the Disney Enchanted Tiki Room that we use as a night light. Also, I have a framed, poster-sized of Randy Souders "Tropical Serenade" that was posted above (the one with Mickey, goofy and Donald in it). My sister-in-law made the pillows and bedding, but you can buy crib bedding online that have a tiki or tropical theme.

Anyway, here's the link to the Enchanted Tiki Bedroom:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14212&forum=1

I posted some pics of the tiki bathroom on this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11026&forum=1

We are actually making several Tiki Baby Mobiles for our Tiki Oasis inventory. If I could do it over I would have made a tiki nursery for our son. I'll post pics on this thread when we have them done, right now I am excited just about the sketches we made of them.

We are working on a "Its a Small World" themed room for our daughter now- heavy emphasis on the Hawaiian section of the ride!

G

Just hang on. Enjoy each year and each step in the life of the child and as he/she grows a bit older... you can reclaim your space. Mine are in the almost-teen and early-teen stage and they respect Dad's tiki bar space. Hey... they can retreat to their rooms, I can retreat to mine.

Aloha, JoeFlo,
Could you post a larger photo of the crib with the Tiki netting?
Did you tiki the changing table?
Can I use the bar as a changing table?

...bar as a changing table"... brilliant! Oh, what stories that keiki is going tell when he gets older! :wink:

T

They can definitely coexist! A lot of people who buy my paintings and prints put them up in their kids rooms. Also, my hanging driftwood tiki birds, people have put in their kids rooms. I'm not trying to sell you anything, but just letting you know that others have done it!

okay, maybe not the bird with the rum bottle on his perch!

Just don't make the room too crazy with colors, room color can greatly affect the mood and behavior of a kid... well, anyone. I'm sure there's websites to research that better.

Also, thatch and matting is not fire proof, so you don't want anything that would catch fire quickly.

On 2010-07-30 08:09, tikitony wrote:
They can definitely coexist! A lot of people who buy my paintings and prints put them up in their kids rooms. Also, my hanging driftwood tiki birds, people have put in their kids rooms. I'm not trying to sell you anything, but just letting you know that others have done it!

I already own one!

On 2010-07-29 19:03, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
...bar as a changing table"... brilliant! Oh, what stories that keiki is going tell when he gets older! :wink:

This is the exact thought my wife and I have talked about. Recently, we have been talking about trying and the fate of the bar. LOL Funny thing is that the bar is almost done to my liking. Oh well. We aren't in a hurry so we might enjoy the bar for a year or two longer. Congrats Chris!

On 2010-07-31 08:34, Unkle John wrote:

On 2010-07-29 19:03, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

This is the exact thought my wife and I have talked about. Recently, we have been talking about trying and the fate of the bar. LOL Funny thing is that the bar is almost done to my liking. Oh well. We aren't in a hurry so we might enjoy the bar for a year or two longer. Congrats Chris!

I wonder if the risk of baby falling off is not appreciably different from a changing table or bar?
Or, maybe it is 33% worse from the bar, as it is approx 33% higher. The true story may be what was taught in the Kaiser class: Focus on the baby when changing, bathing, etc., and do not answer the phone, let the pet in, etc. The only issue is when baby becomes older, but then I guess potty training becomes more important. All this means, is Bamboo Ben's bar stays (hopefully)!

BTW, wouldn't a bar be ergonomically better, as opposed to bending down?

Thanks for the well-wishes!

On 2010-07-29 08:29, The Gnomon wrote:

While newborns for 2-3 months foucs on black/white & strong contrasts, thereafter some state: "a normal visual environment without black and white toys is quite rich and stimulating to your baby. This also means that anything pleasing to you is appropriate to decorate your baby's room."

Others discuss emphasizing serenity and nature.

Others say focus not on just the first 18 months, but the growing process. So, while Winnie-the-Pooh will be cute initially, it does not necessarily allow for growth.

What does all of this mean? To me, ocean = nature, Hawaiian = bright, contrasting & visually stimulating colors, and, yes, Tiki = which is appealing to the father!

I seriously dont understand why you people shove all of your tiki in one room in the firts place. My entire house is decorated with a cohesive style and theme. . Get out of your self imposed box and stop thinking that its one or the other. Just clear the room for the baby and redistribute the rest of the tiki around the house. Make it blend with what ever decor or lack of decor you've been making your self live with. Whats so hard about that.
OR plan B. Since your garage is where you think your tiki bar is destined to end up, then make the Gragae into your designated non beige tiki area. DUH!

i'm not trying to be disrespectful or rude I'm just blunt about things so take it or leave it.

Pages: 1 14 replies