Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Why I don't surf....

Pages: 1 26 replies

TM

I am the only member of the Hula Girls band that does not surf...and here is why:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/surfer-encounters-shark/20k0i70q?rs=Shark+Attack&from=en-us_msnhp&gt1=42007

This is at old man's beach, right?

W

Was the audio recorded while the guy was shaving?

holy shit,
this is why I listen to surf music, and don't actually surf.
I have a pool in my back yard, if I wanna make waves.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

HJ

Bigbrotiki has it; also play and listen to surf music...

...and am grateful, surfing years ago, 'never had "experiences" with sharks. Tho did with barracuda off Florida. They just look at you...scary mofos.

Wow!
I grew up in the So. Cal Ocean, and have never seen a great white there.
Only blues and white tips.
Lucas, do you know what city this is near?

TM

That was right off Doheny beach, you can see the nuclear reactors on the beach..(so, orange county)

P

I don't surf anymore because I live too far from waves. And I'm old. And fat. And out of shape. And I don't much care for getting in the ocean anymore.

Yikes, I had to look at it a second time to see the reactors. That guy was certainly interested in the activity in the water...maybe he thought the buffet was open.

On 2010-09-19 10:10, phinz wrote:
I don't surf anymore because I live too far from waves. And I'm old. And fat. And out of shape. And I don't much care for getting in the ocean anymore.

Everyone I know surfs. Except me. The water is always dirty, always freezing and there are monsters beneath the surface. Give me one of those infinity pools, and we're good!

P

Don't get me wrong. I love surfing.

I could watch it all day.

LOL Lucas...so true, you can't see those monsters through the dirty waters and with your toes and legs dangling wildly in the brink, the monsters can certainly sample a small taste or whisk you off to the deep dark briny depths.

Give me a pool any day...I can swim for hours and not worry about the unseen!!!

On 2010-09-19 08:28, lucas vigor wrote:
That was right off Doheny beach, you can see the nuclear reactors on the beach..(so, orange county)

That's San Onofre right in front of the power station,just south of Trestles and not even close to Doheny,Lucas
yea,I used to surf & that was one of my main surf spots at Trestles, the warm "cooling water" from the plant runs into the ocean
right in that area and Sharks seem to like it.

I stop surfing years ago though,because of Surf Nazi's!

Trestles Beach

San Onofre Power plant

now WHY don't you like the smurfs?

oh....surf!
oops.

TM

On 2010-09-19 15:16, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

That's San Onofre right in front of the power station,just south of Trestles and not even close to Doheny,Lucas
yea,I used to surf & that was one of my main surf spots at Trestles, the warm "cooling water" from the plant runs into the ocean
right in that area and Sharks seem to like it.

I stop surfing years ago though,because of Surf Nazi's!

I always get the two beaches confused, for some reason!

Ran into a 7 footer while surfing about 20 yrs ago off Newport. Just swam under us and left.

That water is warm down there, good to catch lots of species in.

On 2010-09-19 14:42, VampiressRN wrote:

Give me a pool any day...I can swim for hours and not worry about the unseen!!!

As long as it's not a chlorinated pool because swimming in chlorinated pools can lead to cancer.

That's cool, stay on the beach and then there is more waves for me.
Besides if you are chicken, the sharks can smell that and they like chicken!

This is a little shark, I catch these up to 4 foot in the surf all the time, stingrays, skates, bat rays, all within 15 feet of the shore.

Ya, classic Nofre.
Don't mind me.
I thoought is was some big boobed broad, catchin' some rays on the shoreline.

L

however more people are injured by bathroom cleaning products than great whites! LOL!

J

Do you really want to know why people don't surf ?? Because it's HARD !! Unlike a sport like snowboarding, where you can get past beginner in 3-5 days, surfing usually takes years to progress past "kook" status.

And forget about sharks, the biggest danger in So Ca waters is the sewer runoff you're swimming in, not to mention most other surfers don't want any more "friends" to compete for waves.

TM
TK

well we all are scared of something. might as well be a shark. john O is correct its flipping hard to get good at it.

My brother saw a turd floating by, so he quit.

TK

the dreaded "BROWN TROUT". on the not so endangered list.

L

thanx lucas for posting that story about the kid near VAFB beach... however, as every surfer knows or any water-person worth his or her salt should know... there are sharks in them thar waters... do I want to meet up with one? absolutely not! however how many people are killed in auto accidents every year? yet we all still keep driving right? airline crashes? we still keep flying... cancer? we still keep smoking and drinking or whatever... i would encourage everyone to get their mitts on a book entitled "The Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey... it's a great book with some great insights on the great whites... oddly great whites are not white only their bellies... go figger right?

On 2010-09-21 07:57, JOHN-O wrote:
Do you really want to know why people don't surf ?? Because it's HARD !! Unlike a sport like snowboarding, where you can get past beginner in 3-5 days, surfing usually takes years to progress past "kook" status.

And forget about sharks, the biggest danger in So Ca waters is the sewer runoff you're swimming in, not to mention most other surfers don't want any more "friends" to compete for waves.

Didn't seem that hard to me, along with Shorin-Ryu, Electric Guitar, Cooking and the the ability to destroy Tiki Central with a single post!
of course I was 13 at the time & nobody was telling me what I could & couldn't do, The TC destruction power came a couple of years later of course. :P :P :P

Twelve foot mako shark caught off Huntington Beach...

KTLA: Huntington Beach Mako Shark

Pages: 1 26 replies