Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hi Time's Wine Cellars 10th Annual Charity Chili Cookoff Sunday, Aug 7, 2016 (On Page 4)

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

AF

Great event for a good cause...

Does this qualify as a Tiki Event? Well, not really. But this Sunday afternoon you can sample and vote for the Rapa Nui Volcano Chili being sponsored the TIKI TI! Stop by and say hey to Mike, Mike Jr. and Mark, try some of the more than 30 other Chili entries, listen to live music or just go shopping for Booze in what is arguably the best wine and liquor store in Southern California! $5 bucks gets you in...Moai fun than sitting at home!

[ Edited by: A frame 2010-08-28 16:06 ]

[ Edited by: A frame 2011-08-23 10:12 ]

[ Edited by: A Frame 2012-08-09 19:43 ]

[ Edited by: A Frame 2012-08-25 00:56 ]

[ Edited by: A Frame 2013-08-19 15:38 ]

[ Edited by: A Frame 2016-07-27 12:19 ]

WooHoooo! We will be there for sure to cheer you on Anders. SoccerTiki says, "If your chili is as good as your breakfast burritos, you are a sure winner." :)

Cheers to Anders for The Best Chili at The Chili Cook Off today...WooHoo!

H

Rapa Nui Volcano Chili-A Pyroclastic Sensation ! Tiki Ti # 1

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Aug 29, 2010 8:04 PM

Congrats gentlemen!!

AF

Thanks for all the kind words and a special thanks to Soccer Tiki & WooHoo, Go-Go & Dani, Scott, Adrian and all the TC Ohana who attended!

T

Aww, Anders! Sorry we missed this event! I know you were talking about it at the Rumpus Room a while back, I didn't realize it was happening today!

Although I'm guessing nobody was making any veggie chili?

Didja win?!?

Anders is the mack daddy of the grill!!!!!! make that chilli hot "Caliente if you will"
Sorry I missed it!!!

AF

Thanks Eric & Rory, sorry you missed it, there was plenty of cold Beer to go with all that chili! I was told we finished 4th out of 33 entries in Peoples Choice category, not too shabby...

I'd really like to thank Buhen's, Mike, Mike Jr. and Mark for sponsoring and help making it all happen, the TIKI TI Rules! Also thanks gotta go out to Kirby for the Moai, to Mike, Barnaby and daughters Allison & Emily for serving and most of all my wife Joan, who allowed me to destroy our kitchen over the weekend.

Here's a few more photo's, Aloha!

That was some good chilli, 4th place is not bad, but it desereved higher. Nice seeing the TC turnout.
Man, the place was packed, next time I'll try coming earlier.
Ran

WooHoo! It's that time of year again: Don't Forget to Vote for A Frame's Chili :)

The Tiki-Ti will once again be participating in the Hi-Times Charity Chili Cookoff. Come on down and rate our chili: Booth #9 PELE'S REVENGE – FIRE OF THE GODS (we came in 4th last year), and have some Tiki-Ti Rum Punch to boot. It's all for a good cause, so mark your calendars for Sunday August the 28th. Uga Booga! more info here: http://www.hitimewine.net/chili_cookoff_11.asp

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-08-23 08:06 ]

AF

Yes WooHoo, it is that time again and we're in it to win it!

If you've never been to Hi Time before, there's no time like this coming Sunday to check it all out. Let's see, inside Hi Time can stock your home bar with liquor (they have well over 50 feet of shelf space with just rum alone!), you can buy beer, wine, candy and even cigars at their smoke shack (which BTW can be smoked inside the TIKI TI!). Outside, lots of chili, music, plenty to drink and fun.

TIKI FARM has donated a bunch of Joe Cool shot mugs which can be gotten cheap with drink tickets and most importantly, all of the proceeds from the event go right to the Boy's and Girl's Club.

So stop by the TIKI TI booth to say hi and have some chili and Tiki Punch! Hope to see you there!

Is all of the Chili Crazy Hot?

I like a nice mild chili,
like the kind that you put on hot dogs.

Jeff(btd)

I was there last year, not all Chili is crazy hot. Many different varieties.
One thing for sure, find a parking place a few blocks away, and walk.

Jeff & I just happen to know a certain couple who live just down the street, Hmmmmmmm.

AF

On 2011-08-23 18:23, bigtikidude wrote:
Is all of the Chili Crazy Hot?

I like a nice mild chili,
like the kind that you put on hot dogs.

Jeff(btd)

BTD, you should be able to find at least one chili that is suitable for your palate, there are over 35 entries this year. Darn it, I'll only be able to take a photo of your face when you try ours, not all the others. :o

I can't help but think of PBS's Huell Howser asking some similar question like "Why do they call it Chili if it's hot?" :lol:

Sadly I won't be able to make it,
I will be coming back from the HUT in Az.
and will miss the cookoff,

Have fun.

Jeff(btd)

Don't forget to stop by and vote for Aframe's Chili at The Tiki Ti Booth tomorrow.....WooHoo! :)

WooHoooo! This just in:

Tiki Ti
Booth #9 PELE'S REVENGE: FIRE OF THE GODS won the PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD at Hi-Times Chili for Charity event today. Thank you Anders for for making the winning Chili, Tiki Farm for providing the mugs and Michael for making the Rum Punch. The punch went over so well that Michael had to make another batch, right there on the spot.

Congratulations AFrame (Anders)!!!!!

H

Congratulations !! Good Day ! Good Food ! Good Drink ! Good Music ! Good People ! Good Money for the Kids !!!!!!

On 2011-08-28 21:06, hottiki wrote:
Congratulations !! Good Day ! Good Food ! Good Drink ! Good Music ! Good People ! Good Money for the Kids !!!!!!

You forgot GOOD CHILI !!!

HT

Great job Anders for your world class chili and Tiki-T for the Punch, had to drink a lot to keep cool in the hot sun. Enjoyed seeing all the Tiki People at the event. Thank you Holden for the Mugs. Long Beach people rules.

AF

The people have spoken! Or at least they wrote booth # 9 down on back of their tickets!
Thanks to all the TC folks that came out from all over on a hot day to support us, I know it helped push us over the top!

Lot's of people to thank including Tom Grill for doing just about anything that needed doing and Woohoo & SoccerTiki for pumping up the volume on TC! Holden & TIKI FARM for talking up the cook-off and donating the Joe Cool Shot Mugs, they were a big hit with the crowd and sold out! Of course my wife for putting up with the whole chili deal and my daughters & their cool friends for graciously serving the masses with a smile!

And finally the TIKI-TI. Big thank yous go to the web master, Gil Alvarado for the great banner & signs, all the regulars that came out and escaped the LA heat & most of all the whole Buhen family for supporting our effort! Mike, you said I'd be walking up to the stage, you were so right! BTW the Hi Time crowd got Tiki-fied, your Tiki Punch was the BOMB!!!

AF

Hi-Time's Wine Cellars 6th Annual Chili Cook-off is just around the corner!
This year the TIKI TI, Appleton Estate Rum are getting together to make it quite a event to attend. If you've never been to Hi-Time or the Chili Cook-off, this is the year to go! Over 30 Chili's (including our Pele's Revenge entry), Tiki Farm Shot Mugs, plenty to drink and fun in the sun!! All proceeds will benefit the Boy's and Girl's Club of the Harbor Area.

More updates to follow soon...

AF

If you've been thinking about coming out to the Chili Cook-Off, this is the year to attend! Not only will we be serving last years award winning chili & TIKI-TI Tiki Punch, right next to us will be the APPLETON ESTATE JAMAICA RUM sponsored TIKI-TI VOLCANO ROOM! With tropical decor provided by Bob & LeRoy at OA and two more APPLETON drinks to try, it'll be a little place of Tiki to stop into before continuing your quest to taste more great chili! In the VOLCANO ROOM, APPLETON will have an V/X Rum and Jamaican TING Soda drink as well as a Sangria with CORUBA Rum, giveaways and most of all a good time!

Link to HI TIME WINE CELLARS CHILI COOK-OFF info http://www.hitimewine.net/6th-Annual-Charity-Chili-Cook-Off.html

Hope to see you there!!

WooHooo! Stop by The Chili Cookoff and Vote for Aframe's Pele Chili. Sending lots of Good Luck to Aframe and The Tiki Ti Ohana!!!

HT

Attended Hi-time's 6th Chili cookoff today, It was loaded with tiki friends, spend a great deal of time at Tiki-ti booth drinking the Rum Punch and tasting the chili famous Chef A-Frame, man was that chili good.

J

Man, A-Frame's chili was good. Really really good.

I heard it won 1st prize. :)

Chili is Tiki !!

Go Anders!
Congratulations,
David

Why are there no people in those pictures with you guys?
we couldn't even get in today!

Congrats again Anders!

I can vouch for it being more crowded than those photos let on. But due to Tiki Oasis Photo Phatigue (no, really...it's a thing), I didn't take many photos myself. Was good to see John-O, Roger, Adrian, and some other tiki people among the masses.

Any many thanks to Anders for the hospitality in the Tiki-Ti booth. We were introduced to a bunch of cool people there, had some fantastic chili, and delicious punch. Anders, I'm glad to hear you guys won. We had some other chili yesterday, but yours was the only one we had seconds (ok, and thirds) of. Well done!

Panels from the Tiki-Ti booth

Anders tending to the chili

Incoming chili message!

kevin

AF

Thanks for the kind words and please keep the pictures coming if you have any, I didn't bring my camera. Our TIKI-TI chili won the People's Choice for the 2nd year in a row & also won this year's judging as well, thus becoming 2012 Grand Champion!

A whole lot of people to thank including Holden & TIKI FARM for the shot mugs, Bob & LeRoy and OCEANIC ARTS for providing the tropical decor for the booths and APPLETON'S main man and sponsor Phil, who served two great drinks for everyone to enjoy and provided the CORUBA for the punch and made the VOLCANO ROOM the place to be! It was very special to have KING KUKULELE stop in and perform for the crowd, thanks Denny!!

I can't possibly forget all of TIKI-TI folks that showed to support us and those who helped set up and serve (hoping I don't miss someone important to the effort here) including Victor, Barnaby, Stella, Vickie, Dave, Anna and Gil, who also created both awesome booth banners. You guys ROCK! Thanks also to all of the TC people who came great distances try this year’s entry; it was great to see you all.

Tom Grill is an official superhero for donating the booths, being there from beginning to end and doing everything, all for our success. Thank you Tom!

My wife Joan and daughters Allison & Emily and her boyfriend Mark not only had to put up with me, but they also toted all the chili supplies around and served the patrons with smile all day. Thanks for your support and love!

Mike and the whole Buhen family deserve the biggest thank you of all for believing in the whole idea in the first place and supporting it. We did it and did in TIKI-TI style!

[ Edited by: A Frame 2012-08-31 13:13 ]

AF

Found a photo of the winning team!

And here's a shot with some hangers-on that did absolutely no work other than showing up and tasting the stuff, and then squeezed into the picture to get some of the glory:

...well, Denny actually stood on a bucket earlier on and did his schtick, if that counts :wink:

Way to go A-Frame, you rock!

Really wanted to make this, but volleyball got in the way.

Next year, THREE-PEAT!

DC

AF

Well, now that Oasis is over...it's TIKI-TI CHILI TIME! Check out the flyer. BE THERE!!

T

I plan on being there for a worthy cause and good grub.

Sounds gOOd!

And, I just ran out of Ron 23.

Perfect!

Texas-style chili=no beans! :)
If I can convince my 13-year old nephew to go I will be there. It looks delicious, fun and it's for a great cause.
I grew up going to Tolbert's Chili Parlor in Dallas and my dad ground his own chilies for chili so I miss eating the good stuff.

Tiki Ti posted on Facebook that they're looking for some Western style knick-knacks to display in their booth.

Bowl of Red and Shiner Bock, yum!

AF

Here's a little more background on this year's event. The Hi Time Wine Cellars 7th Annual Chili Cook-Off is this Sunday from noon to 5PM in Costa Mesa. Live music and all the chili you can sample (and there are over 30 entries) are included in the admission price of $10.00. Beer & Wine can be purchased on the grounds with drink tickets and remember, all money collected at the cook-off benefits the Boys & Girls Club of the Newport Harbor area...

More info here: http://www.hitimewine.net/7th-Annual-Charity-Chili-Cook-Off.html

With this year's Western theme, it’s time to change up the name as well! As last year's People's Choice & defending Grand Champions, we're teaming up with Co-Sponsor DEADHEAD RUM to try to make this year's cook-off memorable and back-to-back-to-back awarding winning! Also for the 3rd year in a row, Holden & TIKI FARM have donated some really cool shot mugs which can be purchased using drink tickets as well!

So come out and try the TIKI-TI's "BLAZING SADDLES CHILI" and taste the Wild West...with a Tiki Twist!

We'll be serving our a Texas style chili (that means no beans or Schnitzelgruben!) and you can add some "sweet, heat & cool" to your chili with a bit of the Chipotle-Pineapple Crema AKA "Mongo Sauce" if ya got a hankerin’. Of course you'll want to “trade” a few drink tickets at the booth, because we'll have plenty of that there tasty TIKI-TI Tiki Punch to chug down and put out the chili fire!

Talking about shots, right next door to the BLAZING SADDLES booth is the DEADHEAD RUM SALOON!

So come on in, set a spell and chew the fat with the ICONIC BRANDS team while enjoying some DEADHEAD RUM or APOCALYPTO TEQUILA! Hope to see ya there!!

Save me sum! We're on our way.
Cheers and good luck Anders

Good Luck A-Frame.

W

T

What an awesome event for a great cause. Samples of good chili and in your case, great chili, samples tequilas, bourbons and rums. I won't spill the beans on how your crew did but I will keep an eye out for your posting and pictures. For those that did not make it this year, don't miss next years' event. Thanks Anders.

Another packed afternoon of chili and fun out at Hi Time today. And once again Anders and the Tiki-Ti crew knocked it out of the park. Great job folks! I'd better be hearing that you won for the 3rd year in a row or I think we need to ask for a recount.

It's safe to say this a popular event.

Which way to the Blazing Saddles Chili?

Ask the Governor

Follow the sound of the triangle.

Step right up.

Why yes, Mongo want Mongo Sauce.

MOAR TRIANGLE!

Val's sitting side-saddle. You just can't see the saddle.

I don't remember the Moai in Blazing Saddles. I may need to re-watch it, with a bowl of chili.

Once again, great job by Anders and the whole Tiki-Ti crew!

kevin

I'll sorta spill the chili-beans. Congrats Anders! Well done.
Here's some pix, These are the two lines at 12pm, one for prepaid and one for "pay at the door"

The crowd 5 minutes after start of the event.

The Man.

Polypop (rht) and friend

TikiVato

A-frame and company

My tikiqueen CeCe and her friend Jack

Crowd about one O'clock

This nice couple came down from Canada with their children-you might have seen them all at Oasis13. Wish my memory wasn't so bad cuz I forget names so quickly. Maybe it was the delicious Tiki Ti rum punch A-frames booth was serving. I apologize Canadians -identify
yourselves.

Crowd bout 3 pm just before we bagged.
You know it's gonna be fun when Soccertiki (Chris) and WooHoo (Karen)show up.

Sorry, I somehow deleted the pix of Karen and TikliVatos wife Rosemary-There's that demon rum again
Thank Anders and everyone else involved in putting this event together, especially HiTimes Liquors. They are a class act!
Cheers
Btw, weather could not have been better!

T

Maybe Anders doesn't want to brag so I'll spill the Chili for him. He and his crew won the following three awards:

Peoples Choice: First Place:

First Place: Chili

Best booth presentation

Congrats to Anders.

Congratulations to Anders & the Tiki-Ti !

Pages: 1 2 61 replies