Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA and the Art of Gilligan's Island !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

T

COME JOIN US FOR A WEEKEND ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND !!!!
THE TIKIYAKI 3 HOUR TOUR starring THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA AND THE ART OF GILLIGAN'S ISLAND !!!
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 20th at THE MAYFLOWER CLUB and SUNDAY NOVEMBER 21st at THE TONGA HUT

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...."

SATURDAY NIGHT - NOVEMBER 20th , MAYFLOWER CLUB - 3 HOUR TOUR STARRING THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA
Doors Open at 6:00 - ADMISSION $15
11110 Victory Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 91606
(818) 769-9805

Join the Mystic Order of Tikiyaki as we take you on a 3 hour tour.

Get (ship)wrecked on an uncharted desert isle with Mai Tais, Jungle Jetsetters, and fine English lagers at the bar
Go beachcombing for goods at the "Uncharted Desert Isle Trading Post" .
Enjoy the Intoxicating sounds of THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA performing live !
Be sworn in to the Mystic Order of Tikiyaki by "The Skipper" Marty Lush
CASTAWAY LOOK-ALIKE CONTEST - Dress as your favorite Castaway or character from Gilligan's Island and enter to win prizes.
View select sneak previews of The Art of Gilligan's Island show, opening the next day at THE TONGA HUT.

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

SUNDAY NIGHT : TONGA HUT : THE ART OF GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - Artists Reception and Opening.
Doors Open at 4:00 FREE ADMISSION
12808 Victory Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 916063
(818) 769-0708

THE ART OF GILLIGAN'S ISLAND ! Featuring your favorite Tiki Artists....

KIRBY
CRAZY AL
DOUG HORNE
BIG TOE
TIKI TONY
TIKI RAY
GROG
ATOMIKITTY
MATT REESE
ERIC OCTOBER
MP
and more to be announced.

Cocktails by HipHipaHula and (if he's conscious) Marty Lush spinning the exotic sounds.

Check back on this thread for updates and art previews.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-11-04 16:19 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-11-21 09:56 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-11-22 08:10 ]

JB

YES!!!! And, hopefully, this year I will be in town, and not working, so I can actually GO!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 9:26 PM

Im realy exited for this show!!
Just added to the list of artist!!
Bamboo Ben and David Lozeau
More To Come!!

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-09-03 21:27 ]

Name that cocktail!

I'm Excited for Tikiyaki Orchestra & Kirby's 3 Hr. Tour! There will be a special original HipHiPaHulA cocktail for the show, help me name it. Post the title(name)of your idea here and I will build the cocktail around the winning name. The idea has to be something to do with the Gilligan theme. Post your idea here, on this thread. The winner will win a prize(to be announced) plus a free drink on the Hut of course. Deadline for the name game is Monday Nov. 1st.

Look Professor! here comes Kirby now!

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.91606

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-09-03 22:50 ]

L

Yes! I may have to just come down for this little party! I have been drooling over Kirby's pieces since he made them. What a fun idea for a show.

Oh and if I do get down there I PROMISE Jim I will heckle the hell out of Marty!

T

On 2010-09-03 23:43, leleliz wrote:
Yes! I may have to just come down for this little party! I have been drooling over Kirby's pieces since he made them. What a fun idea for a show.

Oh and if I do get down there I PROMISE Jim I will heckle the hell out of Marty!

Oh Yea...COME ON DOWN !!!!!!

The Castaway 7

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 12:37 AM

GROG almost finished with GROG' piece. Just need to add color.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-09-04 00:38 ]

K
kirby posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 9:33 AM

Thats a cool piece grog...

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 9:45 AM

Thanks. That GROG fourth version. About 12 hours invested in this drawing. Maybe another 15-20 hours for color, and it'll be done.

B

On 2010-09-03 22:48, Hiphipahula wrote:

There will be a special original HipHiPaHulA cocktail for the show, help me name it. Post the title(name)of your idea here and I will build the cocktail around the winning name. The idea has to be something to do with the Gilligan theme. Post your idea here, on this thread. The winner will win a prize(to be announced) plus a free drink on the Hut of course. Deadline for the name game is Monday Nov. 1st.

It's gotta be the "Little Buddy"! That's what I call any cocktail currently in my hand... Ah, my little buddy...

LT

On 2010-09-03 22:48, Hiphipahula wrote:

Name that cocktail!

Coconut Cream Pi-Yi
Thirstin' Howell's Third
Thirstin' Howl
Mary Anna's Quench
Professor's Punch
Suffering Castaway
Minnow's Downfall
Three-Hour Tour

P

From the very final episode:

Bahula Humba! (or Bahoola Humba).

The ordering ritual would be to come up to the bar and shout, "Bahula Humba! Bahula Humba!"

To which the bartender answers, "Bahula Humba, what?"

Yes, I watch too much Gilligan's Island.

T

I love "Minnow's Downfall" or "Suffering Castaway"

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2010 12:40 PM

On 2010-09-03 21:26, kirby wrote:
I'm really excited for this show!!
Just added to the list of artist!!
Bamboo Ben and David Lozeau
More To Come!!

Stephen Sandoval--Tobor64
Jason and Claudette from FLUFF

Oh Yes Baby!!!! I am so glad you are doing it again. Of course I won't miss it. This will be three in a row for me. Thanks for coming to the Valley. I will be there again. This year Jeff isn't out of town on location so he will be there too. His friends will be so happy to see you guys play again. I will bring a big group. Yaaaaay!!!

T

Super excited about this theme show! Tikiyaki and Gilligan art! Can it get any better? I think I remember Bob from Oceanic Arts saying he supplied materials for the Gilligan's Island. Can anyone confirm this?

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 9:09 AM

Tony,It does Talk about that in "The Night of Tiki" Book.. I believe they still have some of the props from the show,down at O.A...It would be cool to have them at the event..

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 9:18 AM

COME JOIN US FOR A WEEKEND ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND !!!!
THE TIKIYAKI 3 HOUR TOUR starring THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA AND THE ART OF GILLIGAN'S ISLAND !!!
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 20th at THE MAYFLOWER CLUB and SUNDAY NOVEMBER 21st at THE TONGA HUT

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...."

SATURDAY NIGHT - NOVEMBER 20th , MAYFLOWER CLUB - 3 HOUR TOUR STARRING THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA
Doors Open at 6:00 - ADMISSION $15
11110 Victory Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 91606
(818) 769-9805

Join the Mystic Order of Tikiyaki as we take you on a 3 hour tour.

Get (ship)wrecked on an uncharted desert isle with Mai Tais, Jungle Jetsetters, and fine English lagers at the bar
Go beachcombing for goods at the "Uncharted Desert Isle Trading Post" .
Enjoy the Intoxicating sounds of THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA performing live !
Be sworn in to the Mystic Order of Tikiyaki by "The Skipper" Marty Lush
CASTAWAY LOOK-ALIKE CONTEST - Dress as your favorite Castaway or character from Gilligan's Island and enter to win prizes.
View select sneak previews of The Art of Gilligan's Island show, opening the next day at THE TONGA HUT.

SUNDAY NIGHT : TONGA HUT : THE ART OF GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - Artists Reception and Opening.
Doors Open at 4:00 FREE ADMISSION
12808 Victory Boulevard
North Hollywood, CA 916063
(818) 769-0708

THE ART OF GILLIGAN'S ISLAND ! Featuring your favorite Tiki Artists....

KIRBY
CRAZY AL
DOUG HORNE
BIG TOE
TIKI TONY
BAMBOO BEN
GROG
ATOMIKITTY Aka Suzanna Mosher
MATT REESE
Tiki Ray
ERIC OCTOBER
MP
David Lozeau
Stephen Sandoval--Tobor64
Jason and Claudette from FLUFF
Polynesiac
Kevin Gallegly aka The Tacky Tiki
Nelsons Tiki Hut
Tiki Diablo
& Sam Gambino

Cocktails by HipHipaHula and (if he's conscious) Marty Lush spinning the exotic sounds.

Check back on this thread for updates and art previews.

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-09-06 16:02 ]

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-09-06 16:38 ]

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 3:13 PM

Just added Tiki Ray to the list of artist!!

J
Jetson posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 4:18 PM

Can't wait! Some of my favorite artists for one of my favorite shows growing up. I used to wear my Gilligan hat to school all the time. Think I just might have to bust it out again :)

[ Edited by: Jetson 2010-09-05 16:19 ]

K
kirby posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 6:58 PM

one more artist added Kevin Gallegly aka The Tacky Tiki..
And I think thats about it for now...

always great news to hear about Tikiyaki Orchestra playing.
can't wait.

Jeff(btd)

Suuuuper excited to be part of this!!!!

J
Jetson posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 4:07 AM

Cant wait to see what you're gonna bust out Chris!

Love the cocktail names so far...they're making me thirsty. Here's a few more:

• Kupa-Kai swizzle
(from the name of the headhunter tribe that gilligan thought he was a descendant of)
• Savage Merubi (name of the tribe in episode where the skipper and gilligan set off on a raft)
• Two On a Raft (after the name of the episode)
• Mosquito (the rock bad that comes to the island)

Those still aren't as good as the other Ned posted, but oh well

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 12:17 PM

In progress shot. About 12 and half hours of painting to add color. Probably another 8 or 9 hours to finish.

On 2010-09-07 04:07, Jetson wrote:
Cant wait to see what you're gonna bust out Chris!

Chris...heh heh...yeah! You know who this is Julian! Lol! Nelsons pr since he's sooooo busy! But you KNOW he's got some stuff up his sleeve!

ML

Oh yeah and how about a:

Kona's Curse (from the episode where the Skipper finds a cursed tiki)

How bout we use all these names, they are all so good! Get those names coming in!

GT

SATURDAY NIGHT - NOVEMBER 20th , MAYFLOWER CLUB - 3 HOUR TOUR STARRING THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA - We will be vending at the 3 hour tour - And making some cool raffle items too - Come out for the fun! Cheers! Gogo

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 4:42 PM

I am working on a very special pendant for the event, It is "KONA GOD OF EVIL" From the episode 10 or 11 "Waiting for Watubi" All Gilligan/Tiki Fans should know this episode, If not we are planning on playing it before Tikiyaki goes on..I am hopeing to have at least 50 availabe..I will keep you posted on the progress..

I havent had a chance to research it yet ,but I would assume that since oceanic arts did alot of the decor for the show this could be an OA tiki.If you have any info please chime in!!

That's an awesome pendent Kirby, looks just like the real deal :)

T

On 2010-09-04 10:47, BeatNik wrote:

It's gotta be the "Little Buddy"! That's what I call any cocktail currently in my hand... Ah, my little buddy...

Shouldn't that be "Mai Little Buddy"?

Hey Kirby, great idea. Here is my "Kona, the bad luck Tiki", it has lathe marks on top, so it was mass-produced, maybe not even carved by Milan Guanko, just based on his style.

I always thought that it was sold at Sea & Jungle, they sold more of the smaller table Tikis for the general public back then.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 5:45 PM

That is realy cool sven, You should bring that to the show and we could have Watubi come and do a ceremonial Kona's Curse removal!!

Yeah, with him showing up again in unexpected places...

Like at the bottom of THIS thread (!!!):

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2233&forum=1&start=last&58

This is just too cool, I had to put the three next to each other, in order of evolution:

From apartment Tiki - to mass produced table top Tiki - to T.V. star - to Kirby's Tikiyaki pendant! The story of a Milan Guanko carving. :)

I have had this guy for years, and knew of the Gilligan connection, but always thought it to be just a Guanko-STYLE Tiki - not the exact copy of an existing one!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-05 22:19 ]

By the way, the inward-bent knee, hands in lap "I've-got-to-go-peepee" posture is not just a joke, but based on Vanuatu fern wood carvings.

Here's one at the Bowers Museum:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-05 22:49 ]

Bigbro,

That is too cool, thanks for putting the three pics in sequence. I didn't realize the connection when I first saw that photo.

DC

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 8:28 AM

Is "Kona" a made-up Tiki god by Milan Guanko or was this based on a specific idol that has Oceanic roots ??

I'm assuming it's the former.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-06 08:39 ]

Nonono, the moniker "Kona the god of Evil" was made up by Sherwood Schwartz ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwood_Schwartz ), writer/producer of Gilligan's Island AND the Brady Bunch. I mixed up the two Sherwood Schwartz Tikis above, calling him bad luck Tiki, which should be reserved for the Brady Bunch one.

In "Waiting for Watubi", Kona is found by Gilligan and deemed as carrying an evil curse by the Skipper, who is befallen by a series of mishaps, and tries to rid himself of the Tiki, but it always pops up again and makes him freak out. One of only TWO Tiki-containing episodes of the Gilligan series, it is required viewing for the Tikiphile!

Just found a better plot summary that I had posted a couple of years ago:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23698&forum=1&vpost=298439

V
virani posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 9:43 AM

Awesome. I love that tiki (and TV show).
And Bravo to Tikiyaki and the artists, what a great idea.

Where can we see the art provided? Will we have to wait for after the party to see all the arts ?

Lookin forward to this show. Don't know if the wife adn I will mke it to the MAyflower show, but we will defiantely make it to the art show at the Tonga. hoping to one day be asked to participate in one of these shows....with time permitting.

On 2010-10-10 23:49, TiKiMaN77 wrote:
Lookin forward to this show. Don't know if the wife adn I will mke it to the MAyflower show, but we will defiantely make it to the art show at the Tonga. hoping to one day be asked to participate in one of these shows....with time permitting.

Hmmmm I was thinking the opposite.

Jeff(btd)

T

CONFIRMED VENDORS :

SVEN KIRSTEN
TABOO ISLAND
KRIBY / GROG
ATOMIKITTY
NELSON'S TIKI HUT
GO-TIKI
ERIC OCTOBER
BONGOFURY

Currently we are looking for someone to sell vintage items and collectibles. Anyone interested, it's $40 for the table, and that price includes admission for you and a guest/helper.

Remember, get your castaway costumes ready to go...the S.S. Minnow sets sail in 40 days !

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-11-04 01:16 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2010-11-04 16:20 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies