Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA and the Art of Gilligan's Island !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

Here by the way is the OTHER Tiki used in the series.... one of the mysterious GOLDEN kind. Beware, as he turns people into VOODOO PUPPETS!

...not really:

The plot of this 0ctober 1966 "VooDoo" episode is full of Tiki buzz words, but I remember this script to be a little too inane - if that is possible for a Gilligan episode!

However, the Tiki is easily identified by the seasoned Tiki collector as Paul Marshall Products' "Easter Island Bust":

...whose black lava surface has been shiny-ed up with a coat of gold late 60s -style, much like I was referring to in my "Golden Tiki" theory in this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33775&forum=2

I still have yet to see "High Man on the Totem Pole":

The "Kupa Kai" (a play on the Kapu Kai?) sound promising, but a search for an image reveals that the prop department did a pretty lame job in 1967:

http://www.gilligansisle.com/totem.html

My money is still on Kona as THE best Gilligan Tiki of the few.

T

Great post...I guess we have to have someone make a "VooDoo" tiki now too !

D

The Mayflower is a great venue to see TO. check out this site to get your Gilligan fix until the show.
http://www.slashcontrol.com/free-tv-shows/gilligans-island/season1/episode?page=1&pageSize=40

Here's a random fact for you; the Christmas song "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" can be sung to the tune of the Gilliagan's Island theme song.

Several years ago at our annual Christmas talent show, my sister-in-law tried it. But was unsuccessful after several attempts because she kept reverting to the original tune :lol:

Ijust saw you last night and you didnt mention it . But I thought we talked before . You asked me if I wanted to vend and I believe I replied YES ! Can I still get in please ?

T

Sorry, Ray, I forgot to mention..... YES ,TIKI RAY is vending at this show as well.

Get those last minute cocktail names into the hat now.... We are just about ready to concoct new cocktails for the big show!

can this guy and his band play either night?
:wink:

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-10-29 11:20 ]

K
kirby posted on Sat, Oct 30, 2010 2:07 PM

"The Skipper" will be at the helm!!

Kirby ya really nailed the Skipper here, I love this!

Kirby's poster for the event says Free Lunches?
sweet!!

I didn't know the show/cruise started that early.

Jeff(btd)

Here is my female Guanko? again, she's a fantastic old gal, I think I'll call her "Ginger"

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-11-02 11:37 ]

Coming up.......... The winner of our 3 Hour Tour COCKTAIL NAME WINNER!
Stay Tuned, Same channel, same time....

T

Counting the days to the weekend of these shows. It's going to be so much fun.

Here's a sneak peek at my piece for the Art Of Gilligan's Island show at the Tonga Hut...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2010 11:14 PM

Ooooo!!! GROG like it already.

Wow! That's the real deal! Is that the episode where Gilligan meets Archie & Jughead? :wink:

On 2010-11-02 18:21, Tobor64 wrote:

I believe this is from the episode where Roy Lichtenstein got stranded on the island.

L

Kirby I love all your pieces so far!

Hope you do one of all the characters!

T

Tobor64, lookin good !

OK ARTISTS, Let's start seeing some of those art pieces. Post em here !

K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 4:29 PM

Yeah! where are the previews!!
Also we have one more artist added to the roster Bob Lizarraga..

I am also gonna be vending, like last year (...or was it before?). Since my Christmas movie got cancelled, I will be A.) in town, and B.) broke, so besides the usual signed Tiki Mod book and Tiki Archeology DVD offerings I am gonna bring lotsa Tiki goodies from my coffers, some Tiki revival art, some shirts --all priced to sell, like last time.

I will also have KONA and the Voodoo Moai on display. I am so looking forward to this. That club is one of my favorite venues. They love us there:

• TIKI NIGHT at the Mayflower Club -
    Saturday November 20, 2010. 8:00 PM.
    Free for Mayflower Club Members.
    Members are requested to show their blue membership card to get in for free.
    Tiki Night has been a very successful event on two previous occasions.---

I might even go to their Christmas Tea!:

• CHRISTMAS AFTERNOON TEA -
    December 5, 2010 - 2.00 to 5.00 p.m.
    w/ Our CHRISTMAS CHOIR
    THE CHRISTMAS TEA IS SERVED IMMEDIATELY AFTER ENTERTAINMENT. -

...or perhaps this ? :

• A Traditional British Pantomime -
    “PUSS IN BOOTS”
    Our 2010-2011 Pantomime Opens January 22 @ 8.00 p.m.
K
kirby posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 8:06 PM

Awesome!! Sven is vending!! I bought some pretty cool tiki wall hangings and some sweet swag lamps for cheap last time, and thanks for bringin the Gilligan's Island Tikis to show as well!

:D

Nonononooo.....for ever like this:

and this:

:)

T

Bravo, Sven. Those pix are great!

And here I thought Mary Ann was the one that came from the Farm states.

Jeff(btd)

T

Sven, Are you sure that's Tina Louise ? The Boob size is WAY off compared to the other pics of her from G.I. :o

K
kirby posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2010 8:04 AM

Update: list of artist in the Show at the Tonga Hut!!!
Kirby,
Crazy Al Evens,
Doug Horne,GROG,
Tom Laura(BIGTOE),
Tiki TOny,
Tiki Ray,
Susannah Mosher(atomikitty),
Matt Reese,
Eric October,
Mikel Parton (mp),
Dave Warshaw,
David Lozeau,
Jim Bacchi,
Claudette Barjoud,
Jason Sallin,
Jim DePompei,
Kevin Gallegly,
Nelson's Tiki Hut,
Tiki Diablo,
Sam Gambino,
Bob Lizarraga,
Stephen Sandoval.

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-11-05 08:35 ]

On 2010-11-05 07:55, tikiyaki wrote:
Sven, Are you sure that's Tina Louise ? The Boob size is WAY off compared to the other pics of her from G.I. :o

The things that push up bras and body posture can accomplish! :D

She modeled for Playboy in the late 50s, so she must have had something up there:

http://www.fanpix.net/picture-gallery/477/1818477-tina-louise-picture.htm

Wikipedia:
"At the age of 17, Louise began studying acting, singing and dancing. During her early acting years, she was offered modeling jobs and appeared on the cover of several pinup magazines such as Adam, Sir! and Modern Man. Her later pictorials for Playboy (May 1958, April 1959) were arranged by Columbia Pictures studio in an effort to further promote the young actress."

exotica girl!

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-11-05 10:46 ]

T

Its so cool to be part of this show . Not only will I be vending at the Mayflower but my personal contribution to the Gilligan art will be at the Mayflower and the Tonga show as well .
I was inspired by season 1 (Waiting for Watubi)episode where the Skipper digs up a buried Kona Idol which brings bad luck to him . The only way to break the curse is if Watubi himself shakes his beads at him . Of course we all know that it is just Gilligan dressed up as Watubi .
Cindy went to Arizona to see her kids and she took the camera so my cell phone pics make the piece look a little squashed . But the real piece is way more proportional .Im just not that great at stretching pictures .Maybe Jim can fix it for me . Anyways, I hope you like it and see ya at the show .

T

Ray, That's badass !!!! How much for that guy ?

T

I havent even thought of that yet but it will be very affordable .Its pissing me off looking at these pics though . IT looks so short and fat and Im not that great on the computer . You can se looking at both pics and comparing them that even those dont look the same . Somebody help stretch them or get over here with a real camera . Wait , let me try this...

This is better .

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2010-11-05 11:47 ]

T

Better ?

T

Whateverrrrr. Im a carver , not a computer geek . Friggin' cell phone pics . I gotta get back to making art for your damn show now ....hahaha .

T

Do that thing you do so well, Ray.

Drink name winners coming up. I like so many names they are all so great so, we will go with at least 2 new cocktails for the event. Stay tuned, " Dont touch that dial!"

Kelly, can you make the drinks at the Mayflower club too?
just sayin'
;-0

Jeff(btd)

K
kirby posted on Sun, Nov 7, 2010 12:29 PM

The mayflower usually does a great job on the drinks , they make some premixes, spot on with the recipe and they have alot of great beers as well!!!

Guess I am drinking beers then.
;-/

Jeff(btd)

T

On 2010-11-08 12:06, bigtikidude wrote:
Guess I am drinking beers then.
;-/

Jeff(btd)

Jeff, you're the only person I've ever heard complain about the drinks at the Mayflower....but why does that not surprise me ? :-/

well, I have to say that there might have been a problem for the first time you played there.
I mean, common, Pineapple Juice in a Mai Tai?
tasted nothing like a Trader Vics, or Dons Mai Tai.

but I was not there the 2nd time you played at the Mayflower,
I had a wedding to go to, so it could have been better that time.

but what do I know?
not busting yer ballz, just saying.
Jeff(btd)

CA

why do i want to swat someone with the captain's hat!

show is almost here.... little buddy.

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-11-08 16:57 ]

CA

On 2010-10-05 22:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
By the way, the inward-bent knee, hands in lap "I've-got-to-go-peepee" posture is not just a joke, but based on Vanuatu fern wood carvings.

Here's one at the Bowers Museum:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-05 22:49 ]

LOVE THE BIG BRO! i never like that pee stance and blamed Milan for starting it up... but now i know better!...

I chose Milan Guanko to be the one of 'Queens' for my chess set since he carved female tikis... looks almost the exact same as the Gilligan star... go figure

T

On 2010-11-08 14:37, bigtikidude wrote:
well, I have to say that there might have been a problem for the first time you played there.
I mean, common, Pineapple Juice in a Mai Tai?
tasted nothing like a Trader Vics, or Dons Mai Tai.

but I was not there the 2nd time you played at the Mayflower,
I had a wedding to go to, so it could have been better that time.

but what do I know?
not busting yer ballz, just saying.
Jeff(btd)

Jeff, The Mayflower bartenders have NEVER used Pineapple juice in a the Mai Tais. They followed the Trader Vics recipe I gave them TO THE LETTER. They made sure to check with us, and we did a taste test the first time, and they haven't changed it. They were really careful to follow the recipe that we gave them.
There IS pineapple Juice in a Jungle Jetsetter, and they follow that recipe to the letter too.

CA

"SWAT!!" goes the Captain's Hat!!

I believe that it's very important to remember those who have supported us. The Mayflower as opened their venue and as supported the Tikiyaki Orch. and the vendor sales for a couple of years now. The Mayflower Club has made it possible to enjoy all this for a very reasonable cost all around. Therefore, please support Mayflowers concessions, eat a Banger have a Vic's Style Mai Tai or a lovely pint of Ale or Beer and have a great time everyone. Please join me at the Tonga Hut Sunday The 21st for a great show and some Hip Cocktails!

T

On 2010-11-09 09:33, Hiphipahula wrote:
I believe that it's very important to remember those who have supported us. The Mayflower as opened their venue and as supported the Tikiyaki Orch. and the vendor sales for a couple of years now. The Mayflower Club has made it possible to enjoy all this for a very reasonable cost all around. Therefore, please support Mayflowers concessions, eat a Banger have a Vic's Style Mai Tai or a lovely pint of Ale or Beer and have a great time everyone. Please join me at the Tonga Hut Sunday The 21st for a great show and some Hip Cocktails!

Well put, Kelly. It's a great group of people who run the shows there. So, on to more positive things, like...ARTISTS, WHERE ARE YOUR GILLIGAN PIECES ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies