Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA and the Art of Gilligan's Island !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies

Only 23 hours until the 3-hour tour begins!!!

Can't wait for this.

and be careful out there folks.

I heard the weather might be getting rough.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-11-19 19:01, SoccerTiki wrote:

I believe Dani & GoGo aka GOTIKI will be in the house vending at the Mayflower as well!

Yes, Go-Tiki was listed as a vendor way back on page 3. Due to this being a thread for 2 events, Vendors at the Mayflower, and artists in the Tonga Hut show are both listed in this thread. Sorry for any confusion regarding this.

Here is the updated vendor list. We had a few cancellations : Atomikitty and Bongofury both cancelled.

CONFIRMED VENDORS :

CRAZY AL
SVEN KIRSTEN
TABOO ISLAND
KIRBY / GROG
TIKI RAY
NELSON'S TIKI HUT
GO-TIKI
ERIC OCTOBER
TIKI SHAKER
TIKIYAKI

We also have Gilligan's Island decor made by myself, Kirby and Dibroc, which will be scattered about.

Looking forward to these next 2 nights.

This is a fun venue, can't wait till tomorrow!

Three Inductees to the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard will be honored on Sunday at the 3 Hour Tour Art show they are, Jeremy Fleener (Tonga the Hut) Kelly Hiphipahula Reilly & Gus-Dr. G
Come on out and join the fun and celebrate with us! 4-8pm

Bring enough cash to the Mayflower, people, or you're gonna kick yourself for not having enough to take advantage of all the deals I am offering! Everyone who spends more than 10.- bucks gets a free signed Bahooka mug mini poster!

Kelly, kudos for being so frugal with your own sauce that only now are you making the grade :)

And what great concepts for that Gilligan's menu! Now that is Polynesian pop revival: Taking mid-century pop culture concepts into the 21st Century, adding one's own spin, taking it a step further, playing with the tradition. Along with all the artists exhibiting at the Hut, you are an artist in your own right!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Nov 20, 2010 9:40 AM

As Sven said, bring alot of cash to the mayflower and take advantage of the deals,But save $12 bucks to buy yourself a "Kona God of evil" pendant from me,And most importantly don't spend all your money in one place. Remember all the hard work the amazing and talented group of artist have done to bring you "The Art of Gilligan's Island" at the Tonga Hut..Sunday night!! If it weren't for dedicated artist like these, there would be no modern tiki art to love!! So Please support them!!

On 2010-11-20 08:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Bring enough cash to the Mayflower, people, or you're gonna kick yourself for not having enough to take advantage of all the deals I am offering! Everyone who spends more than 10.- bucks gets a free signed Bahooka mug mini poster!

Kelly, kudos for being so frugal with your own sauce that only now are you making the grade :)

And what great concepts for that Gilligan's menu! Now that is Polynesian pop revival: Taking mid-century pop culture concepts into the 21st Century, adding one's own spin, taking it a step further, playing with the tradition. Along with all the artists exhibiting at the Hut, you are an artist in your own right!

Thank you Sven, Kind words, I'm very proud and humbled, just wow :)
I'm updating my new regular menu this week it's full of "Tiki Modern" surprises.

See you all at the Show! Support & have Fun!

K

Aloha!! Last night was great, Tikiyaki put on one of the best shows I have seen, It was a great start to this fun Gilligan weekend!! I hope to see alot of people At the Tonga hut for
"The Art of Gilligan's Island" Tonight..

For those of you wondering I will have a small handful of 'Kona God of evil' event pendants available.
$12

Soooo much Great Art
all coincentrating on a single theme!
Incredible Work kids!
really!
friggin Incredible!

CA

well... hope you didn't miss the great show? this ad. ran yesterday on TC during the meltdown and lost with the castaways... must have been the Bad Mojo from the Kona Tiki!

The Hoodoo was did and a good time ensued...

see ya tonight as well?

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-11-22 14:16 ]

T

Had a great time last night.
Thanx to all who showed up and continue to support the band. It means everything.

Thanx to all the vendors and artists who participated in the show, the people who contributed door prizes, Kirby,Dibroc, and Eric October who all make decor for the show...it really took the Mayflower up several notches in Tikiness, and really created the mood.

Also, thanx to the people who dressed up and got into the Gilligan's Island spirit....it really made it even more fun.

Aloha, Baby !

Tikiyaki

Had the best birthday weekend ever! Thank you Kelly for the world's best mai tai's, to Eric and Manuel, to the Tikiyaki Orchestra, to all our tc friends and especially to my husband.

Glad I was able to get out to the Tonga Hut to meet some of the artist and see the artwork. Some interesting artistic interpretations of the iconic TV show. Some of it nightmarishly extreme. But,hey, it was great.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 1:02 AM

Great meeting you KBthe33rd. You were like Bigfoot to GROG--people had claimed sightings, but there was never any physical proof that you really existed until tonight. Now GROG believe.

Kirby's Gilligan Island art show at the Tonga Hut turned out really well. It's a really good group of artists participating and everybody did some fabulous pieces for the show. The show will be up for several weeks, so if you didn't have a chance to see it tonight, you should swing by the Tonga Hut sometime to check it out. Kelly and Lisa Marie did a great job serving some wonderful drinks.

K
kirby posted on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 8:36 AM

Man, What a great weekend, The tikiyaki orchestra kicked ass and the Art show At the Tonga Hut was packed to the Gills.. The Art was way over my expectations.. Thank everyone for showing up and supporting us.. I would like to specially thank Jim Bacchi For Doin most the hard work.. It was Realy great Brain Storming Ideas And Making This happen with you!! I would like to also thank,Marty Lush,Dibroc,GroG,Jason Salin,Crazy Al,for all your hard work..And of course all the Artist That Realy stepped it up and realy went all out for the theme..
I Am Gonna set up a Market place thread for all the art so if your interested you can buy one of the pieces that is still available...Hopfuly today, so keep checking over there.. and If you can stop by The Tonga Hut and see all the Art..

What was your favorite "Gilligan" inspired Hiphipahula Cocktail
at the 3 Hour Tour at the Tonga Hut?
This menu served up some powerful drinks, dry, sweet and in the middle...

Thanks Kirby, Jim and Marty Lush again, this was a blast! I really had fun inventing all the cocktails for the show. I could have kept going it was too much fun. Part of what made it fun also was re-watching the shows & reading scripts to make sure I captured the cocktails perfectly while reminiscing.

Thanks again also to Tonga Tom & Sherriyaki for helping with my menu layout & graphics. Thanks also to my boss Jeremy and sweet Lisa-Marie for helping to make our service the best ever.

I was asked last night if I would be keeping the 3 Hour Tour menu as part of my personal menu and the answer is yes, when I'm at the Hut, the 3 Hour Tour cocktails will be available. I am starting my layout work on my new menu it will have an entire section dedicated to the menu as well as the other event menus and original Hiphipahula cocktails.

Thanks everyone for coming out to the Tonga Hut!

B

MAhalos to everyone who came out to support the Gilligans Island art show at the Tonga Hut last night. Lots of amazing art still available at fire-sale prices!!

BigToe's humble offering for the show, "Maryann's Island". Special prize was awarded to Jason Sallin who was the first to identify the shrunken head in witch doctor Lovie's hand as internationally famous stage director Harold Hecuba.

Crazy Al's bonkers shrunken heads

Kirby's SS Minnow sharing space with the Tonga Hut's drooling bastard fountain.

Eric Octobers awesome art

Bob Lizzaraga's killer art

Bob Lizzaraga with his killer art!

Atomikitty's amazing art

Atomikitty's amazing art WITH the gorgeous artist!

Steven Sandoval with his insane comic cover!

The Sandovals tempt fate by posing with the Tonga Huts infamous Kona Evil Tiki

Jason Sallin and his amazing oil on black velvet.

Jason Sallin channels Gilligan

Jason Sallins amazing velvets

Sam Gambinos amazing zombie Gilligan.

Dave Lozeaus kool zombie Gilligan

Who knew Tonga Tom was also a talented artist!?!?

Polynesiac Jim's amazing carved sign. word has it he can carve a kustom one for your tiki bar too!

Castaway craziness

Artist Jason Salin, DJ Marty Lush, Event creator Kirby and artist Claudette

Kirby's 3 hour tour suite

Jay and his wacky friend

Eric October with his amazing art

Claudette makes DJ Marty Lush look so much better!

the Crazy One with his amazing Skipper and Gilligan shrunken heads

Boris and Jono

Publicist to the stars Audrey Moorehead and the mysterious Mr Hoodoo.

Ms Hiphipahula herself provided a creative and tasty specialty drink menu for the evening!

Shenanigans provided by Kirby and Grog

Cool art by Amanda Piper with Nelsons Tiki Hut

Maid Marion and Adrian cold chillin'

Kirby's sold out castaway suite

Talented musicians Brent Walker and Skip Heller support the show.

and then wackiness ensued. Event organizer Kirby, our gracious host Jeremy and the saw-happy Mr Hoodoo.

Desiree and Billy holdin it down.

PM Kirby for pricing and availability on the art!

MAhalos to everyone who came out to support the show, to Kirby and Jim for throwing a great event and to Jeremy for hosting our lil shindig!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2010-11-22 10:39 ]

T

Awesome photos, Tom! What a great time we had "officially" meeting you last night, and your painting rocks my coconut.

Kirby, you did a great job with the art and decor! And the Tikiyakies sound so goooood in this room, a wonderful gelling of all the elements of art, music and people!

Here are the vintage KONA and his lil' buddy from the Voodoo episode sharing the limelight on the stage:

And here are two bums hanging out in front of the Mayflower club, I think they are called "BigTikiDude" and "J.P."

I was very happy to make so many people happy with the affordability of my vintage wares.

Mahalo to Scott for this classy photo! :D

If we do this theme again, I should provide some more historic context material in the theme like this:

Mahalo for a great evening!

This comic art was priceless and took a lot of imagination too . You look good with my "Kona" tiki (SOLD) staring down on you . You need Watubi to clear the spell .

CA

Crazy Mr. HooDoo's Out of Control Heads!

public facebook gallery:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24632&id=100001142975893&l=488ea6f062

Super thanks to the the "Head Wranglers Support Team!" of GoGo Tiki! and Nelson's Tiki Hut!! could not have done it with out you folks! Awesome! thanks

Kirby! Killer Event Little Buddy!!
The Yaker's sound was tops... always a top notch show!!

someone has to figure out a way to photograph this and capture the 3D effect of the layers of lacquer or whatever the 'hell' is going on here...

really looks like Gilligan is coming out of a Bloody Under-world Jungle!! Nice!

all the art is amazing!

oh... and that DiBroc could be the best tiki person to walk the earth......

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-11-22 15:57 ]

Wow - what a blast that event looked like! So sorry I was 3500 miles in the wrong direction! Kudos to the artists - what incredible entries to a perfectly themed event! Boy am I inspired!
Great great job to all who participated and attended!

C

I caught just the tail end of the Tikiyaki Orchestra's last set Saturday (got invited to sit in on mandolin at Skip Heller's gig just down the street in NoHo prior to that, which was a blast, and then hightailed to the Mayflower as fast as I could), but I ended up hanging out at the Mayflower until things cleared out (the bartender wanted to get rid of the last of his Mai Tai batch, so I was one of the benevolent folks duty bound to help him out).

Go to the Tonga Hut around 5:30 yesterday, and was blown away by the Gilligan Art and the drinks! Kelly, let me put my vote in for the Kupaki Swizzle as my favorite of the 3 Hour tour specials (recommended to me by Marty Lush, and it lived up to his praise!). Let me add that I feel a certain sense of pride in myself for correctly identifying the model for Igor in Bob Lizzaraga's Show Them to Their Rooms, Igor!" as the great Mike Mazurki (Moose Malloy in MURDER MY SWEET with Dick Powell, and character actor of many hulking hood performances). Let me add that the costumes, both Saturday and Sunday, were sensational. I'm always wowed by the creativity on every level amongst the motley TC crew! I'm making it a 4 Hour tour tonight by dropping into Don the Beachcomber--just about 2 miles south of the mouth of Alamitos Bay where the Minnow disembarked at the beginning of every episode of Gilligan's Island. I've been slack on getting up to the usual Sunday Tonga Hut festivities, but am going to make a better effort in the coming months.

Caltiki Brent

Looks like a great show everyone...sorry I was stuck in the studio but great pics!!!

CrazyA, thanks for checking out my piece!! Bloody jungle hell is exactly what I was going for!

Love those shrunken heads!!

Here is my piece for the show.

"Gilligan's Curse"
Pencil on paper with handmade paper
mounted to mdf board.

K
kirby posted on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 6:11 PM

Great piece Doug and a good price as well..somebody swipe it up!!

Does anybody have any good pics of Tiki Diablos Cool Radio Bar ? Could you please post

Any TC'er can knock $75. off of the price of my enamel piece "Gilligan's Zombie Island" (the actual title though is "Under a Zombie Moon"), making it $475. Just let me know by emailing me at [email protected] ...... Looks like a bunch of great stuff from all of the artists!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2010-11-22 20:33 ]

What a great event! An awesome set by Tikiyaki, great takes on Gilligan's Island by the artists, cool vendors...and the Mayflower is a blast. It was our first time there and I'm sorry we missed last year's show there. :)

Anyhow, here are a few more live shots from the Tikiyaki show.

Mahalo to the Kirby, the entire Tikiyaki Orchestra, and everyone else who helped make this an event to remember. I loved describing to my non-tiki friends what we were going to do this past weekend!

kevin

To everyone who had a hand in planning this weekend's festivities, a great big Mahalo! I had a blast! The Mayflower was a great venue, once again. There were some fabulous deals to be had. The Tonga Hut boasted some wonderfully themed art. Kelly's drinks were awesome! All in all, a fun time! Looking forward to Tiki Wonderland!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 23, 2010 9:36 AM

Swami Al at GROG' computer preparing to go to set up art at the Tonga Hut for the Gilligan's Island show.

CA

Grog cave got lot o plaster all over.... but any port after a Gilligan Yaki storm...........

Congrats to all the artists and Vendors, I thought is was a great show with a lot of great stuff, the band was amazing!!!!!!! Thank you to everyone who decorated and had a hand in organizing this....Great job!

Amy

Where's the pictures? People were taking photos like mad, where are they!!! ?

TT

Okay, here's some pix...

more to come...

T

Wow, what a great weekend of events! Thanks for posting all the pix, everybody... some of it is kinda blurry...

I realized I didn't post a pic of my second piece for the show, and here it is:

7 Stranded Castaways, 11x17 acrylic on paper.

The idea behind this piece was to distill the characters to their signature colors, like Gilligan's white hat, red shirt and blue pants and the Skipper's black cap, blue shirt and khaki pants. I added props specific to the characters as well, like the radio, Mary Ann's coconut cream pie, Mr. Howell's ubiquitous cocktail in a bamboo mug, and the Professor's primitive scientific contraptions.

It's 120.00, and still available!

Mahalo to Tikiyaki for putting on another amazing performance, and Kirby for organizing an awesome art show!

TT

Hey look, more photos...

Calling all photos, I want the picture with me
In the T.V. set. Anyone have those? :(

T

Doesnt Cindy look cute with the Maori tiki I just carved for her exclusively ?

Oh but of course Ray! They are both gorgeous! So is that fat honk'n dimond ring! Congratulations & Best Wishes to both you & Cindy!

TT

Here's the few TV shots I got...

Thanks Tom! :wink:

S

Did Kirby tell everyone about my pieces 3 hour....i mean 3 week tour via ups?!!!! its soooo perfect!

K
kirby posted on Thu, Dec 9, 2010 9:43 AM

Sorry dave I've been so busy I didn't have a chance to tell the tale.

TT

It did make it from Kirby's hands into Jeremy's hands...

TT

"Hey Skippers..."

"Thanks little buddy

Double dose of Gilligans. Well, triple dose actually.

Mr. Howell on AND off TV.

A "Honey Bee" and a "Mosquito"

Disco Gilligan?

[ Edited by: Tonga Tom 2010-12-09 17:10 ]

TT

Here's some photos from Tonga Hut...

"Waiting For Watubi"

Three brand new bastards in one night!!!

"BASTARDS!!!"

Ol' Dirty Bastards

"You lookin' at me?"

"Who's up for a game of grab-ass?"

"I am!"

"This is really the proper hand positioning for grab-ass."

"Don't shake Murph's hand tOny, he was just playing grab-ass!"

"Yeah Manuel, I don't think that's how you play grab-ass."

Where's Patricia's hands?

"I think she's playing grab-ass."

"Oh my!"

"What? I mean...he er, ah...what did you say you saw?"

Amazing 3-D(rink)!

Do I see a Menehune?

The professor and Menehune Man, here on Gilligan's Isle...

Arrr, Ding Dong Devil in da house!
JOHN-O likes this!

"Look out, he wants our mugs."

"Do you hear somethin'?"

"That's not funny."

Master mixtress HipHiPaHulA and special Sunday-night-edition return of Lisa-Marie...dressed as Mary Anne even!

Photos of dudes shootin' photos...and some artwork ta boot!

Drooling "Lovey" Bastard

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 196 replies