Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

I am happy to celebrate the tenth year of the publication of the BOOK OF TIKI with old and new friends at the M-Modern Gallery in Palm Springs on Saturday October 2nd:

If any participating artists want to preview their submissions here I would be thrilled, since I won't get to see them until I get back from Berlin in a couple of weeks. :D

In fact, I want to encourage any and all testimonials pertaining to the impact of first contact with the book to be posted in this thread, please. :)

I'm planning on being there.

will there be a repressing of the Book of Tiki for the Thousands of people that still want it?

Jeff(btd)

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2010 8:04 AM

I know we are not supposed to talk about religion here on T.C. But After reading the Book of Tiki, I finally see the Light, Hallelujah! I now Regularly attend services with friends at there homes,and Temples and now have a weekly "Prayer" circle at my home.. I Love to Spread The Good word..Just the other night, I met a man and asked him "Have you read the Book" He said " No, So I ministered to him for 30 minutes while drinking some "Holy" water. I told Him all the great changes he could expect, if he would only except its message of hope.It change my Life it could now change yours... If you are reading this and have not excepted the message I encourage you to do so now!! Let us Pray...

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-09-14 08:12 ]

CA

my first two large palm tikis were carved in 1996. My client picked out a photo copy in my scrapbook of the Tit Biting Tiki postcard... later i would find out this was a Marquasian style tiki that inspired my Tiki#2... This photocopy was from a selection of photos/images that Sven had been collecting for a 'book-project' he had been working on for a while by then...I think he traded me those photos in late 1995... the rest is history.........

Who's this Sven guy?

:wink:

Jeff(btd)

first piece

"Waikikianese"
14" x 11"
acrylic on masonite panel
$200.00

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2010-09-14 17:53 ]

L

Are the participating artists mentioned going to be there in person?

Only the artists themselves can really answer this. From what I hear in faraway Berlin, some are, some aren't. I hope to see as many as possible at "The Springs" ! :) Aloha, Amigos!

That's a wonderful piece, Dawn! A red dot work, for sure. Dreamy.

J

OK well I first read the Book of Tiki back somewhere in 02-03. So I was about 15, and it changed my life forever. The part that got me the most were the beautiful cocktails and drink menus and the drinks themselves. Then I thought "where are these amazing restaurants today?" Sad to say that upon researching, and reading more from the book that a lot of them had been closed. I thought to myself "wow, there must not be as big a tiki community as i thought..." Little did I know how wrong I was.

So at the age of 15, I decided that I wanted to be a bartender and gather all the recipes for the cocktails and learn how to make them. I took a magnifying glass to some of the finer print, and wrote down all the names I could find in a notebook that I still have to this day. I tried Google of course and came across quite a few of the drinks, but I guess some of them are just lost forever. But I am now 23, not a bartender, but lately I have been making all sorts of original concoctions. I was actually told by several people at Tiki Oasis that my drink "The Elroy" was one of the best they'd had all weekend :) So I guess some thing do come full circle.

[ Edited by: Jetson 2010-09-15 05:12 ]

The Book of Tiki is pretty much the best document to date showing the lifespan of the Tiki subculture.

I cannot wait to go and pay ultimate tribute to my favorite book in my display case.

I'll have a drink tonight at the Tiki Ti in your honor Sven!

ALSO:

Will you ever have anymore copies of your Tiki Documentary that Naomi sold at 8 Ball? I would love to buy a copy if possible!

T

I'm honored to be included in this great event with these great artists! My wife, Alene and I will be there!

R

On 2010-09-14 08:04, kirby wrote:
I know we are not supposed to talk about religion here on T.C. But After reading the Book of Tiki, I finally see the Light, Hallelujah! I now Regularly attend services with friends at there homes,and Temples and now have a weekly "Prayer" circle at my home.. I Love to Spread The Good word..Just the other night, I met a man and asked him "Have you read the Book" He said " No, So I ministered to him for 30 minutes while drinking some "Holy" water. I told Him all the great changes he could expect, if he would only except its message of hope.It change my Life it could now change yours... If you are reading this and have not excepted the message I encourage you to do so now!! Let us Pray...

Well done my "brother in Sven"! In this case, your discussion of religion here on TC...all is forgiven. I have set up an alter in my closet with fruit, incense, frankence and myrrh which surround Sven's book. I have also shaved my head except for a pony tail in the back of my head. I now where a tiki imprinted smoking jacket at all times like Huge Heffner. Thinking about starting up a commune in Oregon called Sveneesh where I will buy 50 Rolls Royce cars and be surrounded by lots of girls or a harem. We will all wear said smoking jacket. Anybody interested?
Your post was absolutely genius and I am not trying overshadow such genius! Beautiful!! Just thought I'd have a little fun myself! Very, very well done my brother. I'm still laughing!!

Amen!

Just want to say what a fantastic book, 'Book of Tiki' is, we still love it and look at it loads for reference, can't believe we have owned it 10 years! Blimey time flys!!
Just waiting for the next one!!
Shame we can't be there for the party, but will be thinking of you all having a great time!
Sue and Dave.

Sven, you are dear to us and your book a treasure, Wendy and Dan

I took off of work for this art show baby.

An art show is fun,

A Tiki art show is even better,

A Tiki art show with Sven is the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dig?

Glad to have you in Palm Springs again Sven, you always class up the place a bit.

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2010-09-16 09:03 ]

Rory that entry way cover looks so cool,
where is that?

I am really getting excited for this art show.
The Book of Tiki was a mind blower for me in 2000.
I had been into tiki since going to Hawaii in 96 and 97,
and of course some surf bands use tiki imagery.

But getting this book at Aloha Joes in Cerritos,
just set me into overdrive in wanting to collect more tiki and Hawaiian stuff.
and this was a few years before I Knew about tiki central.

I am looking forward to this show,
to see how the book of tiki has inspired some artists.

where's the Pre and Post party?

Jeff(btd)

second piece

"Tahiti Ta-Maori"
11" x 14"
acrlyic on masonite panel
$200

congrats sven on a decade of decadence!
hawaii next?

I remember when the BOT came out I was in NY for a trade show. I made a special trip to B&N in Manhattan to get a copy on the day it was released. I ended up with several copies because other people picked it up for me as well. I keep a copy in my studio, one in my library, and one for coffee table browsing. Each copy is scattered with small pieces of watercolor paper used to mark pages with images I'm currently considering. When I found one of the giant Witco masks that used to be on the front of THE POLYNESIAN I used the BOT to show the owner what they had stuck to the side of their house. and finally.... who doesn't love a book with a puffy cover!

Darn, I have to be out of town that weekend.

But congratulations on your 10th Anniversary. BOT was truly a watershed moment for Tiki history, culture, and lore.

Sven, you are wonderful and I LOVE your book! It's inspired me on many a painting! My art is not in your show, but I hope to someday be included in a show at M Modern! Cheers! ~Sheryl http://www.Schroederville.com

The BOT was one of the biggest influences in my life. I will always be grateful that I own it and that you took the time to make it. Thank you Sven. Polypop needs to scan every page of his BOT and let the people see what a treasure the book really can become.

T

Here's to the great Book of Tiki!

Thanks Sven, you and your book of Tiki have been a Great inspiration on me and my Tiki work, Keep the Tiki Faith Alive Big Bro

This book started my interest in Tiki like you wouldn't believe...It is still a source of inspiration for me. When does the next one come out? LOL!!! I already have Tiki Modern!

Here is one of my first Glass Tiki made in my volcano kiln.....

Thanks Sven!!!

Dave Bird
http://www.davidebird.com

It’s interesting how the Tiki News covered many similar topics as the BOT but seeing them reproduced in full color really brought out the era and dare I say legitimized it. It would be nice to add an extra chapter called “post devolution” covering the next 10 years. I like the way I could go into a tiki bar a decade ago and see all the fogies and today I’ve become one of them.

Congratulations Sven on the first 10 years. I will read it cover to cover, again and again as long as I shall live, Mai Tai.
I will see you there.

Mai Tai!

Thank You everyone! It is hard to imagine what a Tiki-less world it was before 2000, and how exciting every find and even the mention of the word was in the 90s (and no, I am not saying Tiki awareness did not exist before, but the artist's community and Tiki News formed a much smaller nucleus)

Nowadays it seems a common term, and though this was my goal, Tiki does not seem so "special" anymore. Outsiders are often surprised that I can plan yet another publication on the subject, but to me, there is still tons of stuff to discover and swoon over. As you focus in on specific facets of the phenomenon, new layers appear, and open up new vistas for new projects. :)

But the newness of the BOT can not be duplicated. Yet I am proud to have gotten Tiki Modern published, which, as my publisher assured me recently, would have not seen the light of day in today's economic climate. A big thanks belongs to my daring publisher Benedict Taschen for making my books such high-quality, yet affordable, world-wide distributed works. He is the Gutenberg of Tiki!

well ....since my wife and i are east coasters, we journey to the new jersey shore every summer for 2 weeks of doing nothing. swimming in the ocean, miniature golf, skeeball and ice cream. when we arrived my wife valerie surprised me with a gift that i might like to have at the shore.
when i opened up the book of tiki, i was speechless. i was already a fan of tiki,beachy stuff but this was amazing! i spent the 2 weeks at the beach and the next 7 years combing that book cover to cover. to say it is the bible of tiki is an understatement. it is more like the new testament!(sorry ,catholic school reference)
sven opened my eyes and let me know that there were other humans on earth that shared the same tiki interests as my self. thanks sven!
tony marsico

J

I was late to the party and bought the book in 2005, but since then it has always been a good bedtime read whenever I was too drunk to read whatever novel I was into. Thanks Sven!!!!

This book and Tiki Modern have changed my life in a most awesome positive way. I love Tiki history, culture, architecture, art, mugs and everything Tiki. I have had so much fun being an urban tiki archaeologist. I really wish i could attend this anniversary party.

Thank you Sven for writing both of these books and bringing the fun tiki-aloha-spirit and history into my life.

Sincerely
Abstractiki

But will a reprinting be ever coming. I had to get my BOT from Italy of all places.

CJ

There's an inside joke between a friend and I of who's going to give you a BJ first when we see you out and about. If I were you I would find this as a huge complement. Thanks for putting out a *shitty book we all love.

*"shitty" is the new Michael Jackson "bad"

Now THERE's a commitment to show appreciation!

I don't think a BOT reprint will happen unless my publisher does it - and they don't do reprints. I do own the rights now, but I would not want to put anything of lesser than the original quality out there.

Thank you all for your testimonials! Though the influence of the book has waned since it became hard to find (or afford), I enjoy hearing about its reverberations, and what it set in motion.

And where are my other artists' works? Git yer butt in gear and finish your paintings for the show now! :lol:

I don't know Sven....I think if you invested the money into reprinting yourself, you'd sell quite a bit and AT LEAST recoup.

I Know I would buy another one, as I only have the softcover...Also, since the BOT has stopped being printed, the amount of people into Tiki has gotten considerably bigger...just one look at Tiki Oasis this year will tell you that. When my band played the Bali hai for Oasis this year, there was probaby damn near a thousand people out there watching us...it was crazy...and this was the THUSDAY nite..not even the main event.

Also, I think most people that have it would probably buy another one....people LOVE that book.

Just my $.02

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 18, 2010 1:28 AM

GROG has seen Kirby's piece and it look great. Plus, it inspired by something IN the Book of Tiki, so it also very appropriate. GROG tell Kirby he need to post a pic of it, but Kirby tell GROG it look too simple in photos and it need to be seen in person to be appreciated. It look really nice hanging on Kirby's wall, and it going to be a really nice piece for the show.

Thanks, guys!

Since this question came up in a mail, I wanted to address it:

Since the show was originally conceived to support 8 Ball, which had limited exhibit space, I decided to limit the art to PAINTINGS only, to keep it small. But alas, it was not to be...

I should have included the carvers and mug molders once it became apparent that 8 Ball was not gonna make it and I was gonna do it at M-Modern, but the fact that I was going to be in Europe through all the preperations led me to decide to keep the format.

K

I believe a reprinting of The Book of tiki is a must.. There are more and more tiki people at every event and in order to keep the real essence of what tiki culture was and should be. All those new folks getting into tiki Must have a BOT in hand..The bible has been reprinted tons of times and ours should be no different.. You must continue to teach the new generations about tiki..

Thanks Grog For the complement..I am so stoked to be apart of this show, It is the most important show I have ever been apart off, Thanks for including me sven! My piece is inspired by the tiki mosaic on page 174BOT.

WOW Kirbsters I love that piece, YAY

CJ

On 2010-09-18 10:58, Sophista-tiki wrote:
WOW Kirbsters I love that piece, YAY

I second that

Kirbster that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I become more of a fan every time I see your new stuff!!!!

I am ready for the next generation of carvers, I hope the tiki world is ready too.

Wonnaful, wonnaful, Kirby! Now is that a painting or a carving? ....some will ask after I just made that post above. It's a WALL HANGING, like any good Witco piece.... a painting with wood.

The thing with a reprint of the BOT is, it's not only getting it printed, it is also all about DISTRIBUTION.

K

On 2010-09-16 04:46, RasVegas wrote:

Well done my "brother in Sven"! In this case, your discussion of religion here on TC...all is forgiven. I have set up an alter in my closet with fruit, incense, frankence and myrrh which surround Sven's book. I have also shaved my head except for a pony tail in the back of my head. I now where a tiki imprinted smoking jacket at all times like Huge Heffner. Thinking about starting up a commune in Oregon called Sveneesh where I will buy 50 Rolls Royce cars and be surrounded by lots of girls or a harem. We will all wear said smoking jacket. Anybody interested?
Your post was absolutely genius and I am not trying overshadow such genius! Beautiful!! Just thought I'd have a little fun myself! Very, very well done my brother. I'm still laughing!!

Amen!

I guess that's why they call the Book of Tiki "the old testament."

Congrats on the show Sven. It's nice that you are explaining why some artist or carvers are not in the show but that should not be needed.

As someone who has done art shows in the past and is close enough to hear any news going on at M Modern or the Shag store it always pisses me of when an artist protest or gives you grief for not choosing them.

It is the gallery and curators choice of concept and what will match it best.

sometimes you can't fit all the artist or you don't think it's cost effective with larger pieces and far destinations shipping too.

or a gallery do's not want to show a piece that is already SOLD to someone else and not get a cut.......that is just good business sense.

I know this is not Very PC to say,but with a forum like tiki central you would think that all artist would still support the show with there fellow friends that are in the show.

This is just my own opinion ..............

J

How about making BOT available in digital format for viewing on a computer (or Kindle or iTablet) ?

This would eliminate the overhead of physical printing and distribution while at the same time "spreading the faith".

Also I think the BOT brand could be leveraged for other things. How about "Sven-wear" like an Aloha shirt with an abstract pattern featuring images of the BOT cover. I would buy that. :)

Way to go Kirbs!
That is an awesome commanding piece
deserving of wallspace at this momentous exhibition!
And Dawn....Your pieces are always PURE polypop!
We grabbed one for our job at Hawaiian Island Creations
late 2000-early 2001
and,as designers
it provided so much "vibe"and artistic reference
for fabric prints,tees,colorways and island life
that just inspired the whole art dept.)
Loved it so much,i bought one for the personal collection at the studio library.
It wasn't until,after being introduced to Holden by Drew Brophy
that the whole scene began to unfold before my eyes...
and i was hooked!
And finally realized how important this book was
and how,by recording the previous Polypop period
it had given birth to a resurgence!
Anyways,here's my two offerings for the show...

This first piece was inspired by the Kahiki Moai on page 146
I love the fact that he's in a little grotto!
"After Hours"
cel vinyl and acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo Ben frame! How authentic is that?
18x26"

This second piece acted as a companion piece
and was inspired by the PNG flavor of the ephemera within the BOT
Also the menus and photos of the interiors really inspired me as well...
"the Lively Conversation"
cel vinyl and acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo Ben frame
18x26"

Looking forward to this Momentous Event!

I've had my BOT for about 8 years I think- I wish there were a way to know what exact print I got.. like a mug... there was some pencil markings on the front page when I got it... I wonder...

When I worked with a creative team of 35+ video game developers,
I cant tell you how often friends would take a break from crunch mode, come to my desk area,
and look at the BOT. And back then, I looked at it to escape the insanity!

Now, my BOT influences me every day. I am part of the same religious group Kirby writes about!
--"Holy" - I knew there was a reason I always say that!--

I have to say- even being of the tech world, I think I prefer the book version over an on line version...(no offence JOHN-O!) I guess because a digital version of this would not do justice to the vibe of holding it in your hands, flipping the pages...praying...and preaching the good word from the Holy Book...

I will buy the updated version when I can, I will buy the shirt suggested, and of course could never think to part with it.

Congrats to all parties, missing the event will be a thorn of crowns.
HOLY BOT!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies