Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Oct 3, 2010 8:56 PM

Patience. :)

Tonga Tom told me he and Sherriyaki were making the scene, so you know the event was well documented. They're probably at the Tonga Hut right now so expect pictures by Monday afternoon. I'm looking forward to them as well.

Sven and I with the Holy Grail of Tiki Art

Great Turn out and a good amount of Sales. I know that plenty of photo's were taken so I would expect a lot of photo's hitting Monday.

J
Jetson posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2010 2:19 AM

AFter hours of trying to upload my pictures with shotty internet connection due to the weather, I have finally uploaded my pictures. Now if only i can get those videos on there...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=2098441&id=1229831507&ref=mf

[ Edited by: Jetson 2010-10-04 02:20 ]

T

Great pix! Wish we could've been there.

What a wonderful weekend! A great thank you to all the artists, the gallery folks, and all my friends who came! I was so honored that so many of you made the trek from L.A. to "pay their respects" to the Tiki bible. It was great to see you all (all the above and many more) after my long absence in Europe, I felt like coming home to family. I am really blessed to have such a community to return to, and I truly appreciate your attendance. It was all a big love fest for me. :)

The morning began magically with an early shower that brought down the temperature to a nice warm day:

At noon I went to M-Modern and checked on the hanging of the show, which was expertly executed by the staff:

After a pre-party at Rory's house (from which we can see some fine pics in Woohoo's post above) it was time:

The gallery was abuzz with just enough folks to fill the place but still allow the art to be seen:

Jay Nailor , Dre and the gallery staff did a great job

Which brings me to the first painting -by the artist known as Shag :) :

...a wonderful work which sold in no time

....perhaps because it was almost directly taken from life! :D

The bible study theme was continued in this cute fuzzy piece by Heather Watts:

Another red dot piece was THE Book of Tiki cover art work by Moritz R.:

...which I was happy to see go to a good, appreciative home:

Congrats Rory! I think this would make a good back bar piece! :wink:

There were too many wonderful works to show them all in this post, here are just a few:

Derek Yaniger's (Sold!) woodsy version....

...of the Mod Beachcomber on page 75 of the BOT:

The already posted works by Bosko:

...and by Dawn Frasier:

...and paintings as diverse as Dale Sizer's Hawaiian Eye homage:

...and handmade prints by Michael Uhlencott:

...of which Naomi was happy to get her favorite:

My contribution was this wall entitled "Look for the Book - in THESE products":

.....with which I traced back some of the images from the BOT that had entered the mainstream thru the example of Aloha shirts (one which was worn by the always clever Sabu, as seen in the post above mine :) )

While I was mostly busy signing away on copies of Tiki Modern...

...I managed to break away a little here and there and chat briefly with some of the friends, among which my favorite not-seen-for-an-eternity person was this classy lady:

!!!! ...need I say more!

Although this evening was full of happiness, there were some tears, and for a good reason. Naomi had showed me pre-show photos of Claudette Barjoud's amazing wall hanging, a one of a kind mystery girl sculpture:

This labor of love was destined to be a show stopper at the exhibit, so you can believe how my heart dropped when I came into the gallery on Saturday noon and found this:

When Jason and Claudette came in that evening, they had not heard the bad news, and it was quite a shock. Here is the artist next to her other wonderful work in the show, bravely smiling in the face of irreversible loss:

...and here she is days earlier, the proud creator of a fine piece of art:

All here on Tiki Central will mourn this loss, I am certain, but I am hoping that by posting these images I will give this lost art work SOME form of existence, and we look forward to other, grander works to come from the house of Fluff!

Except for this sad mishap, the show was a smash success for the gallery, with many pieces finding new owners, and I again want to thank all the talented artists, and all the Tikiphiles who attended for contributing! Long live the Book of Tiki! :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-04 15:43 ]

No, not over quite yet! :) As an ENCORE thank you, I wanted to ad this appreciation to Palm Springs, THE PLACE!

I am not rich, but whenever I go there, I feel like it, because I can enjoy the place and its highlights vicariously through my friends who are all into the same things I am into. This post is not to boast, but show my gratitude to TIKI, my guardian saint, who has allowed me to delve into these worlds of SWANK to a level that is unimaginable in my home country!

This last weekend was one of those perfect Palm Springs moments:

It is always a pleasure to stay at my long time friend Pete Moruzzi's place...

...one of those perfectly mid-century manicured houses that is totally unlike my own cluttered Tiki museum

...but absolutely lovely to recreate in.

On Saturday, Pete and the Palm Springs Modcom held an award ceremony for architect Hugh Kaptur at the Riviera Hotel, and I got to see the slide show for it, here's my fave from it:

Then Rory's pre-party, then my 10 Y BOT show opening, and the intimate after-opening reception at Rod and Cindra's fabulous house...at which point I was too tired to take photos, I apologize.

Also I wanted to ad the lovely gift that Eric October made for me at the BOT show:

A map to my house, with my guardian Moai, even down to the rope at its base! :) Thank You, Eric!

Then on Sunday, I was invited to visit German actor's Udo Kier home. He converted a small local library into a loft living space!:

....to house his original mid-century furniture collection

Even seasoned afficionado Pete Moruzzi was impressed

Then Mr. Pete took us to a warehouse where several car collectors were storing their beauties!:

Aaaaah! Blisssss....

Can anybody guess the make of this car?:

It's a Facel Vega, a 50s luxury sportscar I had completely forgotten about since my childhood!
Indeed, I live a postcard life full of vintage eye candy when here, and I wanted to share some of it with you. :)

By the way, these original vintage postcards posted here (and more) can be purchased cheaply at the Albert Frey Visitor Center at the entrance to town, get them while they last!:

Your energy and history always make things I see on a day to day basis more exiting then at first glance.
You are a great ambassador of all things mid-century.

For all or your energy and knowledge you always have a great calming effect about the way it's delivered.

Thank you for making this movement so creditable.

Thanks for sharing that Sven. That was beautiful.

Great pics Sven, thanks for sharing .Bummed to have missed this memorable event.
Hopefully I can get out there soon ...and come see Rory as well.

Hi Tiki Central fans!

Thanks to everyone that came out to the "10th Anniversary Book of Tiki" event at M Modern Gallery. We especially want to thank Sven and Naomi for making the trip out to Palm Springs and for putting together such a great group of artists for the show.

We were so inspired at M Modern Gallery by what Sven did with this show that we are talking with Sven about making it an annual event. Also, we will be doing up one of the gallery spaces as a full time Tiki art room with mugs, Tiki merchandise and of course Tiki paintings and prints!

We will announce the room on Tiki Central once it's complete and we look forward to having you all visit with us again!

Thanks, Jay

PS. We will post a link with the photos from the show our photographer took once we receive the completed disc from him.

[ Edited by: mmoderntiki 2010-10-06 10:53 ]

[ Edited by: mmoderntiki 2010-10-06 10:54 ]

[ Edited by: mmoderntiki 2010-10-06 10:54 ]

TT

Just in case you wanted to see some more photos...

"You think this art show is cool, wait until Nov. 6th..."

A whole lotta people...Couldn't tell if it was hotter inside or out

"Where are we? This map is so confusing."

The Maestro and The Queen

"Can you draw something cool in my book?"

"Sure, soon as finish this funny story about jury duty."

The Pizz making a killer illustration in Adrian's BOT "yearbook"

A rare moment when Sven wasn't surrounded by his adoring fans

Somethin' heavy is goin' down here

"Wait, did I just hear Tonga Tom's camera go off?"

"Manuel, Eric & GROG at the bar? I can't believe it."

Thanks again for all you Los Angelinos to come out there, it wouldn't have been the same without ya!

ahem, and OCers
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Thank you, Jeff.
Z

Thanks for the pics Tonga Tom. That's exactly what I wanted to see. If anyone else has more pics please post them.

OK, so I think we can all agree that Moritz's BOT cover painting is the best in show. And we all know who scored it, (cough) Wildsman (cough). So I would like to see the painting in its natural environment (in your home). Please post pics.

As I would love to show you what it looks like in my home,it is very hard to see it past the lasers,protective glass and killer pitbulls.
Truth is after I picked it up I was called by Dre from M Modern to return it so it can be shown at Mondo Lounge in Vegas later this month.

So for now there is an empty nail on my wall.......just waiting for my crown jewel.

P.S. Monitor you still have one of the best original collection of tiki art I've seen on TC.

In my opinion this was the greatest show I've seen in years. Tiki Art without the twist.
it was a great show for artist to go back to basics with out all the side influence.
plus the turn out was great and so were the sales..........Maybe things are getting better and we can enjoy again.

Thanks for the compliment Wildsville. One of these days we have to meet.

I totally agree that this was one of the best tiki show in a while; and it shows, because the show's almost sold out. A big thank you goes out to Sven and Jay (M Modern) for that.

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies