Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Need your help for Tiki Presentation

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hi Everyone! It's Boyd from Phoenix. I don't remember my old login info so I created a new one.

I've been selected to give a presentation on the History of Tiki and Polynesian Pop Culture for Ignite Phoenix (ignitephoenix.com)[Edit to correct link] in mid October. Basically, I have five minutes to present 20 slides and convey as much info as I can. I've outlined my presentation and will be contacting some of you via email and Facebook to request photos and short bios. I only have a few weeks to pull this all together, so if you do hear from me, please remember time is of the essence and I will be forever grateful for your help. My presentation will be recorded and the video will also be available via YouTube at some point after the presentation. I'll be sure to let you all know once it has been posted.

I do need some help acquiring a few photos that I can use in my presentation. I've listed what I'm looking for below, if you have something you can email me that would be fantastic! If you don't have my email, I'll be happy to PM it to you. Also, please be sure to provide any copyright info that might be needed if known so that I can give proper credit where due. Thanks in advance for your help and wish me luck!

Photos I need:
-An early photo of Vic Bergeron
-A photo of the original Hinky Dinks and/or Trader Vic's
-An early photo of Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt (Donn Beach)
-A photo of the Don the Beachcombers in either San Francisco or Hawaii.
-A photo of The Islands restaurant in Phoenix (now defunct)
-A photo of the original Trader Vic's Restaurant in Scottsdale (now defunct)
-A magazine quality photo of an authentic Mai Tai
-Photos of MCM furniture, art, and mug collections (Witco, Eames, etc)

That should do it, unless I think of something else, in which case I'll edit here. Thanks again for your help!
Boyd

[ Edited by: Leaky_tiki 2010-09-28 10:54 ]

J

Only 5 minutes ??

Dude, ditch the preso and do the following to experience Tiki:

1. Wheel in one or more big Tikis. You can rent them at Oceanic Arts.
  2. Dim the lights and play a recording of Quiet Village (Martin Denny version).
  3. Serve some "made from scratch" classic Mai Tais.
  4. Project repeating images of the great Tiki Palaces of the past (you can poach the images here).
  5. "Escape" and relax for those 5 minutes.
  6. Optional: Bitch about how Tiki culture used to be better 5+ years ago (I'm joking !! :D)

Good Luck.

Boyd, most, if not all (there was no Don's in S.F.) of the images you need can be found in the Book of Tiki, and I will gladly let you use them. If you don't have one, they have used ones from 40.- bucks on Amazon. The mid-century stuff is all in Tiki Modern, and a good Mai Tai glamour shot can be found in Beachbum Berry's REMIXED for certain.

J

Are you going to present this in a church ?? !!

If so scratch my suggestion of bringing in the pagan idols and booze.

You have a very open minded congregation. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-24 11:23 ]

On 2010-09-24 00:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
Boyd, most, if not all (there was no Don's in S.F.) of the images you need can be found in the Book of Tiki, and I will gladly let you use them. If you don't have one, they have used ones from 40.- bucks on Amazon. The mid-century stuff is all in Tiki Modern, and a good Mai Tai glamour shot can be found in Beachbum Berry's REMIXED for certain.

Thank you Sven! That is very kind of you and I truly appreciate your generosity. I do have Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern so I should be all set. I'm pretty sure we have Beachbum Berry's REMIXED, but if not, I'll reach out to him offline. And thank you for the clarification on there not being a Don's in S.F. I was confused on that.

Ooops. I corrected the link for the organization sponsoring the presentations. It's http://www.ignitephoenix.com. The other link was to a church. Sorry about that.

CA

On 2010-09-23 09:22, JOHN-O wrote:
Only 5 minutes ??
6. Optional: Bitch about how Tiki culture used to be better 5+ years ago (I'm joking !! :D)
Good Luck.

try 20 years ago when there was the bliss of ignorance/innocence and there were no tiki-zealots with all these rules pontificating like the 'Pharisees on the steps of the Temple' Matthew 23 :wink: tongue firmly in cheek.... It took like 30 minutes for me to find this passage on the good old http://www.catholicireland.net/church-a-bible/bible/new-testament/238-religion-in-the-time-of-jesus Gospels. Jesus dialogs with them about their over-legalistic attitude to the essential aspects of true religion, an attitude which can easily be obscured by undue emphasis on detailed observances. They are sometimes presented as being too 'religious', that is, as lacking in compassion when it comes to insisting on religious observances...
full definition found here: http://www.catholicireland.net/church-a-bible/bible/new-testament/238-religion-in-the-time-of-jesus )

which came first Tikicentral.com or http://www.jesuscentral.com/ ????

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-10-20 14:35 ]

CA

not to derail this post...... cool and fun miss-link!! Leakey!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-09-28 11:19 ]

Derailment, did someone say derailment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RNJYTL3Ims

Pages: 1 8 replies