Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

BOT Tribute mug

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

This project with Sven and Moritz (BOT cover artist... BOT Tiki mug desinger) is very noteworthy for all involved. The last 10 years of Tiki have been very defining. Here is the sculpt preview. I am very proud to present TC with this sculpt preview...

Thank you Sven and Mo! Our mutual 10 Sven... in the history of this all, there have been so many things that have happened, changed... but our 10... well mein Freund... I am proud to make this mug for you and the Ohana of this thing called...
Tiki!!!

Back to work!

[ Edited by: makedamug 2010-10-04 00:50 ]

LIKE/WANT!

WOW! MOST AMAZING!!! I'm speachless & that's rare... WOW!

W

Count me in.

Chris

Count me in too...that is wonderful.

RB

It would be nice to release this mug along with a re-release of the book :)

LT

I like it! When will it be available?

E

Sweet ...

Nice!
Very Nice!

I know this? I have seen this somewhere before, maybe if I shape it out of some mashed potatos,it will come to me.....

I want one, great mug to go with a fantastic book, Sven you are one cool guy, Wendy

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Oct 4, 2010 3:08 PM

this mug would go on the book shelf to sit next to the Book.

Perfect! A fitting tribute to the BOT.

Nice work Holden!

Sweet to see this guy transformed into 3-D!

Can't wait to see the glaze!

I hope the glaze matches the color of the tiki in the book

On 2010-10-04 15:49, Lake Surfer wrote:
Nice work Holden!
Sweet to see this guy transformed into 3-D!
Can't wait to see the glaze!

Here are some color trials, nothin' set yet:

Indeed, I am very happy with the final sculpt result! This is gonna be a worthy successor of the Sven-Tiki mug. Don't know why we didn't think of using that logo Tiki in the first place...maybe to enable us to use it 10 Years After !? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNF2w_Fu1cQ&feature=related

Here are some other versions of the BOT logo Tiki:

It's gonna be a big hit! :D

Wow! I say middle glaze, but a bit darker

R

will this be the cover of the next addition???

Nonono, so far there will be no new edition. This was a spec cover based on my 1992 book proposal cover collage concept (below) that had been inspired by Frederic Catherwood's drawings. Taschen did not deem it commercial enough, and I agreed.

B

I'm liking the middle one as well.. but with some darker undertones.. keep it old looking, matte finish maybe..
Sven, I'm glad you did what you did..:)

LT

On 2010-10-05 10:40, bigbrotiki wrote:

Here are some color trials, nothin' set yet:

Were the photos taken before the glaze firing?

T

HOLY. i'm so IN.

I hope its going to be a open edition like the original Sventiki mug because it should be owned by everybody!

Lovin' that sculpt.

Of course it will be an open edition, hopefully running as long as the Sven-Tiki mug.

Also, if you look at the colored versions' backgrounds above, you will see that these are all the same grey mold that was just messed with in the computer, to give a general feeling of different shades, nothing even close to the final look.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-06 08:30 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 10:14 AM

Edited because it's too distracting from significance of the thread.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-07 11:16 ]

R

good thing grogs not in charge of this one!!!!lol!!!

W

still want one....

http://www.westadad.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: westadad 2010-10-07 05:24 ]

V

WANT !

I kind of prefer the green "tropical forest" color.

an instant classic! beautiful work, all.

That funny GROG

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 3:20 PM

I like the brown. The brown bottom concept looks perfect.

BOT Anniversary mug, Party City edition 1/1. Nice Grog! :lol:

On 2010-10-06 10:14, GROG wrote:
GROG got an email yesterday from Holden with the final glaze colors he picked.

[ Edited by: TIKI-TONGA 2010-10-06 16:21 ]

Yeah it's funny. Once. But not funny enough to plaster it at the beginning of yet another page, thank you. It hurts my eyes, and I don't wanna have to look at it repeatedly, so that ends my proud preview and information on the project here, thank you.

Does Tiki-bot get a free one 'cause he was 'BOT first?

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 5:02 PM

On 2010-10-06 15:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yeah it's funny. Once. But not funny enough to plaster it at the beginning of yet another page, thank you. It hurts my eyes, and I don't wanna have to look at it repeatedly, so that ends my proud preview and information on the project here, thank you.

BUT can't a case be made for colorful PNG-style Tiki mugs? Or how about subversive Andy Warhol-type Tiki art?

I'm just sayin'.... :)

Thank You. I got the the fact that Grog was reacting to folks misconstruing the colors as serious choices, so no harm done there, it WAS funny (see previous page). I just didn't want to have to behold my mug looking like a foam beer cozy again and again. Because it actually took a while, many late night e-mail exchanges from Germany, to get the mug to the stage it is in now, and I so enjoy it coming out that well. And Holden and Moritz also put a lot of time into it, and that work deserves due respect. I know I know, once you put yourself out there on the internet, nothing is sacred anymore....but does it HAVE to be that way?

John-O, Moritz will actually get a few mugs in raw bisque form, to paint hem as he deems fit, maybe we can get a PNG version done. :)

Har har, Grog! In my worst nightmares!

I guess everybody understood, that what Sven posted is the final version of the mold, unburnt and unglazed, not the actual mug as it will be sold. The Chinese sculptor did a hell of a job, although we had millions of corrections on his way. I have to thank Holden of Tiki Farm for his patience to go all the way, until everybody was happy. I can't wait to see it glazed. There will be 12 extra copies hand-glazed by my humble self, which will be displayed on Tiki Central once they'll be finished.

Very nice can't wait to get my hands on one !

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2010 11:07 AM

Congratulations, this is going to be an AWESOME Tik mug and a "MUST HAVE" for any Tiki mug collection.

On 2010-10-06 21:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank You. I got the the fact that Grog was reacting to folks misconstruing the colors as serious choices, so no harm done there, it WAS funny (see previous page). I just didn't want to have to behold my mug looking like a foam beer cozy again and again. Because it actually took a while, many late night e-mail exchanges from Germany, to get the mug to the stage it is in now, and I so enjoy it coming out that well. And Holden and Moritz also put a lot of time into it, and that work deserves due respect. I know I know, once you put yourself out there on the internet, nothing is sacred anymore....but does it HAVE to be that way?

John-O, Moritz will actually get a few mugs in raw bisque form, to paint hem as he deems fit, maybe we can get a PNG version done. :)

Don't worry, I still hold you sacred: I have a little altar that I burn incense on, spill a little rum on it every week or so, maybe sacrifice a chicken on ITD while playing Robert Drasnin's Voodoo...

Wow...I love that picture...would make a great 10 year anniversary poster to go with the mug...wink wink wink!!!

I like the light tan colored glaze as it looks more like the original Tiki.

Too cool Sven! You know, while Claudette and I were fighting over
control of our Book of Tiki copy (as we were planning our pieces
for your M Modern show) we kept looking at the cover tiki thinking
it would make a great mug, etc... Well our prayers have been answered!
Yay!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-10-07 14:44 ]

Well it is a great job all around Sven,Holden you should be proud!
I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Thank you, guys. :)

On 2010-10-07 11:24, freddiefreelance wrote:
...I have a little altar that I burn incense on, spill a little rum on it every week or so, maybe sacrifice a chicken...

I must warn you though that my religion forbids any wasting of rum. However, I DO accept full bottles.
Like on this authentic Haitian Voodoo altar, where we can count no less than FOUR bottles of Barbancourt:

Maybe I am confused about the colors too (I'm not always the sharpest crayon in the box)...but sure whatever the mug glaze ends up being will be wonderful. :)

You better believe it! It will be the WONDERFUL Tiki mug! :D

In further wonderful news, I have just heard from Beachbum Berry, still on his European boozing tour (where he just recently convened with mug maker Maoritz), that in keeping with the tradition of the first Book of Tiki mug, he will concoct a special potion to inhabit the vessel. :)
Who cares about the outside glaze, what glazes your insides is what counts!

Pages: 1 2 87 replies