Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Hula Girls, tonight at Don the Beachcomber's!! 10/18/10 @ 7:00

Pages: 1 22 replies

If you haven't been following along on the Monday night at Dons thread, I wanted to let everyone know that we're playing the Dagger Bar tonight at 7:00! Come hang out! Get some ribs and a cocktail! Aloooha!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 18, 2010 10:27 AM

Just to make sure people don't go to the wrong establishment---the name of the restaurant is DON THE BEACHCOMBER.

http://www.donthebeachcomber.com/

So, if you go to DON THE BEACHCOMBER'S, you're at the wrong restaurant. You want the place without the 'S. :D

kinda like
Tiki TIs
Bahookas
and the prior Konas

:roll:

C

Grog,

All I know is I keep driving south on PCH until I see the big fish with DON'S on it, then pull into the parking lot.

I hope that is the right place.

BTW Spike,

I had ya covered.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38114&forum=17&3

oh well, maybe 2 threads will get twice the people there.

Jeff(btd)

Hahahahaha.... Thank you, Grog's

C

What a great show last night. Mrs. Chippy and I really had a great time and so much fun.

Big thanks to Art at Don's for bringing these guys in on a Monday night. The dagger bar was packed but it did not take anything away from the show.

I had a chance to briefly chat with the guys (and Gal) and they were great.

This was Mrs. Chippy's first Tiki event and she was blown away with all of the great folks and the great time.

Thanks again to everyone. I hope they come back again real soon.

HT

Great night TC night at DTB, Thank you Art and DTB staff for having the THE HULA GIRLS. Best and most original TIKI BAR in SC calif. Where was John-0 ????? Our professional photographer and historian!!

Great times indeed.
those who didn't make it missed out.
Hopefully the Hula Girls will be back soon.

Jeff(btd)

J

On 2010-10-19 11:29, HB TIKI wrote:
...Where was John-0 ????? Our professional photographer and historian!!

JOHN-O was working late. Sorry I missed it. :( Thanks for the pictures Roger !!

Who's the new guy on Bass ??

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-19 11:57 ]

Really wish we could have been there, but after three days of tiki bars, tiki restaurants and tiki exhibits (all featuring lots o' tiki booze), we needed some down time. Thanks for the pix HB, looking forward to seeing the Hula Girls (in person) again soon!

What a great time at Don the Beachcomber, last night!! Thanks to everyone who came out and drank and bopped with us! Hopefully we can do that again, down the line!!

The 'new guy on bass' is Mr. Christian Kessler. He's played with Vikki Taffoya and The Big Beat as well as with Devil Doll. I didn't know when to mention this, but Lucas Vigor as decided to part ways with The Hula Girls. It was on his terms and just a matter of time commitment for him. He wanted to focus more time on his jazz band and The Menehunes. It was a totally amicable split and he's still buddies with the band. And in fact, he's coming back to play a show with us on the 29th at the Tiki Bar. So there's the story. I'm sure he'll be filling in on any dates that Christian can't swing it.

Also, the posters from the show are now available at our web store! I think they are my favorite to date!
Limited edition, hand screened.... Two colors plus metallic gold! Take a look at 'em. Thanks!

...http://thehulagirls.bigcartel.com/product/hand-pulled-silk-screen-gig-poster-don-the-beachcomber

TM

I really still feel part of the band. It's just that Christian has taken over as the primary bassist, with me as a secondary relief bassist.

Totally looking forward to the 29th. No matter who is playing bass, I absolutely guarantee a good time at all Hula Girls gigs! This band is bigger then just one person.....!!!

It's an idea and a concept, and it's the only Hulabilly band around!

However, Spike was wrong about one thing...there were some incidents at Tiki Oasis, involving sexual misconduct and harrasment...so when Spike claims we parted on friendly terms, he is lying through his teeth! Those guys gave me an ultimatum: Quit the band or we press charges!

The only one who backed me up was Gary Brandon! (He knows what's in my heart!)

The other guys accused me of acts so heinous, that decorum does not allow me to mention them on this forum. Suffice it to say, it involved salad dressing, a large turky baster, the 8th floor, and some small animals whose legal status in North America is questionable (without a license)...

Oh, and dudes from Thee Swank Bastards were THERE!!!!!

Sounds like the Hula Girls know how to party like Frat Boys.

:o

Jeff(btd)

TM

You don't know the half of it, Jeff....a bunch of sick, degenerate maniacs is what they are....and I am not even the worst of them....the stories I could tell about this band would literally make you retch and vomit. I can taste my pancreas just remembering......no, believe me, I am well rid of them!

Monday Night Football on the T.V. was kinda awesome during the Hula Girls show.
Thankx for having me for a few hours you Monday Night Crazies!!! Will try to get back sometime in the future.

On 2010-10-19 18:59, lucas vigor wrote:
I can taste my pancreas just remembering.....

wow.

Yeah, wow is right......

I received several PMs from people wanting to know WTF?

I guess the fact that I was TOTALLY JOKING was not that evident!

So, let me set the record straight…I LOVE the Hula Girls band….the music, the guys, everything..in fact, I play the “curse of the tiki” record at least once a week, always hearing little things in it that I had not previously noticed…

The ONLY reason I quit (which happened before Tiki Oasis) was that I just was finding it harder and harder to get down for weekly rehearsals, and also being that I am a family guy that pretty much goes to bed as early as possible I start very early at my day job), late gigs are hard for me to do on a recurring basis….anyway, we already knew that there was a replacement bassist, Mr. Kessler, who could not only do the job but possibly do it better then me…so I gracefully exited with the full blessing of the guys, and totally under great circumstances!

So, I just did not want to hold my bros back with my scheduling and availability problems…that’s not fair to them, you know?

As for my other projects, The jazz band I am in basically sight reads everything, so we don’t practice much. The Smoking Menehunes NEVER practices and only plays sporadically. The Orchestra I am involved in does require a lot of my time, but we rehearse not too far from where I live, and I am getting college credits so this is part of my educational requirements anyway.

I hope that explains why I would quit an excellent rockabilly/tiki band right when they are doing really well!

My association with the Hula Girls will never end, and as Spike noted, I will be subbing for Mr. Kessler for any gig that he can’t do (like me, he is in a whole bunch of bands…the guy is very well known in the rockabilly community!)

The Hula Girls is one of the finest, most professional and hardest working rock bands I have ever known or played with. I wish bands I had played with when I was younger had been like this….(usually everything is great but there is always one weak link in the bands that caused them to fail….despite the money and time being put in). Not so with the Hula Girls. Every member is super talented and super focused! It’s a unique sound, with guys that come from a wide variety of musical backgrounds…punk, rockabilly, surf, jazz, Hawaiian, Tiki…it’s all there in the Hula Girls band!

See ya on the 29th!

HT

DTB The Hula Girls poster framed from monday.

That looks unreal, Roger! Nice frame job!!

Thanks for the clarification, Lucas. I (obviously) knew that you were joking too, but I was also getting a bunch of PMs. Haha...

Joking & levity is not Tiki! and I am going to U-MOD all of you to HELL! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Pages: 1 22 replies