Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Favorite Classic Bar Names

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

Here's some more:

the First and Last Chance Saloon -- Oakland

The 21st Amendment -- SF

Moby Dick -- SF (gay bar)

H

Chi Chi Starlight Room........The Doll House.......The Dunnes........

D

On 2004-07-26 15:52, cynfulcynner wrote:

Here's some more:
the First and Last Chance Saloon -- Oakland
The 21st Amendment -- SF
Moby Dick -- SF (gay bar)

Strangely, Minneapolis had a Moby Dick's on Hennepin Avenue equidistant from the two big gay bars, the Saloon and the Gay 90s, but it was more of a street hustler/tough guy/dipsomaniac type of dive. The Gay 90s, incidentally, was not originally a gay bar, but became one in the late 1970s, I think.

Favorite dive bars of Minneapolis:
The Poodle Club
The Roundup Beer Hall
The Yukon Club
The Northeast Yacht Club [there are no lakes in Northeast Mpls.]
The Knight Cap Inn
The Commodore
Hexagon Bar
Palmer's Bar
Mortimer's

All of the above are filthy, depressing places with cheap, horrible beer. Fun!

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:05 ]

Here's a couple more:

The Sideshow, a defunct Hollywood Blvd. circus performer hangout.
The Sixes, an old Irish bar on Staten Island, 666 Forest Ave.

M

On 2004-07-26 13:33, tikivixen wrote:

THE hangout for collectors is, of course, Skor. Although there is also a Nordic singles bar by that name. Martiki's mechanic has been spotted there--with his yellow rally-racing champion Volvo parked outside. To impress the chicks, natch.

As an unrelated aside, here's my man Carl, "The Sideways Swede", raising hell with the above mentioned Volvo. (2MB Quicktime)

http://rally.nordicmotors.com/video/jardeval.mov

D

Filthy McNasty's

In business since the 60's (and still going strong), Atlanta GA's "The Bearded Clam"!

-and NO, it's not a strip club. More of a "middle age crazy" blues & pop tones hangout.

Tipsy McStaggers

"Naughty Nellie's" Bunratty, Ireland.

On 2004-07-28 10:38, Tiki Bird wrote:
"Naughty Nellie's" Bunratty, Ireland.

Been there. :)

Also isnt there "The Slaughtered Lamb" bar(from American WereWolf in London movie) in NYC?

F

When I was a kid my dad used to take me to bars with him on occaision. Two that I remember fondly were:
Ducky's - named after the owner (Ducky Detweiller) who was also the town's mailman, he'd bring me baseballs and stuff that he found on his rounds.

And, Stitcheberry's, again, named after the owner.
Both were long, dark, narrow bars with Bromoseltzer on tap. What ever happened to that stuff?

J

My favorite classic bar is the Tube Bar in Jersey City! The owner, who friends and customers knew simply as 'Red', was probably one of the most pleasant, soft spoken guys you'd ever want to meet.

T

On 2004-07-28 17:36, johntiki wrote:
The owner, who friends and customers knew simply as 'Red', was probably one of the most pleasant, soft spoken guys you'd ever want to meet.

...unless you called him on the phone and fucked with him!

J

On 2004-07-28 17:44, tikibars wrote:

On 2004-07-28 17:36, johntiki wrote:
The owner, who friends and customers knew simply as 'Red', was probably one of the most pleasant, soft spoken guys you'd ever want to meet.

...unless you called him on the phone and fucked with him!

You didn't really even have to fuck with him - just ask to speak to one of his customers! :)

*On 2004-07-26 14:07, freddiefreelance wrote:*Another great name for a Hollywood "Bikini Bar" is Jumbo's Clown Room.

uh... they wear quite a bit less than bikinis there...

I just purchased a batch of swizzle sticks and 3 of them are from the Kum Kum Room. I haven't found any reference to it here or on critiki.

Some other great bar names are the Mineshaft (Long Beach) and Oilcan Harry's (Austin), both gay bars.
Lee Harvey's (Dallas), Happy Endings (Hollywood), Double Wide (Dallas), Cock & Bull (Dallas), Muddy Waters (Dallas), Under the Volcano (Houston), The Poop Deck (Ft Worth), Mother's (San Pedro), Cock o' the Walk Bar (Oklahoma City) and many, many more...

I have actually been in all of these-most are defunct now:
Willys Ready Room Pico Rivera/Whittier
Rumpus room
Why Knot, Boyle Heights, L A
Hula hut, E L A
Don's Monterey Room, Monterey Park
Motel, Knotty Pines Alhambra
Chinese restaurant, Man fuk Low, central city, L A (pronounced man fook low)
Luv dis thread
Cheers

T

Crazy Mamas punk rock bar.
Great bar.
Did lights for Mitch Rider there.

Z

Always liked "Hog's Breath Inn" though it's not exclusively a bar.
A long gone HB beer bar hangout:
"The Getty" later renamed "Friar Tuck's"
was a real dive on Beach Blvd just before PCH.

Surfside 16, a ghetto bar. I see this every day. Miles from Lake Michigan. Why Surfside 16? I ask but no one knew.

The asphalt lot on the left is site of West North Avenue Natatorium (1902 — circa 1995}. For public bathing and swimming. Cross street is 16th Street. Mystery solved.

What separates Holler House from dive bar?

Is it all the hollering and laughter and arguing and fighting because everyone is having a good time? No. The hundreds of bras on ceiling? No. No beer on tap? Only bottles and cans. With exception of Holler House, I have never encountered in Wisconsin. But that is not the reason.

1908 bowling alley. Requires a person to operate; no machines.

On 2016-03-17 08:15, Veronica! wrote:
Surfside 16, a ghetto bar. I see this every day. Miles from Lake Michigan. Why Surfside 16? I ask but no one knew.

Glad to see a fellow Wisconsinite giving props to the many silly bars up here behind The Cheddar Curtain. In my part of the state (Upper Nort'west) we have many. Some of my favorites include:

Chicken Chaser's Bar and Grill

Moccasin Bar (creepy stuffed-squirrel dioramas)

Pooh's on the Pond (no website)

Jump River Rosie's (She sold me my first beer when I was 16!)

Pages: 1 2 70 replies