Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5 on Saturday, Dec. 11. 2010

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 12:43 PM

the good news:

Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5 on Saturday, Dec. 11. 2010

We'll be vending inside since we have so little daylight these days.

The bad news:
Now GROG going to have bust out another Tiki Wonderland flier. Unless.... any artists want to volunteer to make this years Tiki Wonderland flier? GROG get you a list of vendors as soon as GROG get a full list.

The good news:
Hiphipahula has a drink that "tastes like Christmas". GROG has tasted it before, and that's the best way to describe it.

The bad news:
Now GROG really got to bust GROG' ass to get the Tonga Hut Mug ready to debut at the Tiki Wonderland show.

All of Ruzic's artwork will be hanging at his retrospective show, so Ruzic probably won't show up. You can decide for yourself if that's good news or bad news.

The good news:
No charge to vendors, no cover charge to get in. Come get your Tiki Christmas shopping done early.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-04 13:22 ]

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-24 13:48 ]

R

cover charge for an art show??? now i've heard of(almost) everything.an artist is complaining about having to work for free?? duh... artists generally don't make the big bucks until they're dead.LOL .ok that's one view ..another view is---you have to pay at the swap meet to get in and so do the vendors . so why not charge.. events that offer more than just vending would be easier to charge a cover for..band , dj ,etc.. holloween is a big night to be having any event so maybe that is why people did not show..times are tough..i personally have enjoyed tiki wonderland in the past and would love to go whether it's free or fee....i always buy something and hope others can/will...

R

gilligans island is not a christmas party.....tiki wonderland is.. let's celebrate christmas and the holiday season together at a holiday party!!! yay!!!and go to gilligans too!!!

May i suggest my "All over the Map" exhibition this Saturday
for all your Christmas and plain ol art needs?
There will be free alcoholic and non-alcoholic punch there
No admission
a lovely Dj spinning lovely tunes
a garden paradise outside the gallery
great food by a renowned Master Chef
and Parking is free!
There will be around 10 Tiki
and another 20-some not-so-tiki pieces there...
Come see the reason I've been a hermit for these past few months!

Plus it's right down the block from the Bowers museum
which has a PNG exhibit!

All signs point to YES!

R

hijacked!!!

Guilty as charged!

also,don't miss BigToe's Shimmer and Rot exhibition
at Rothick art haus November 13th 7-11pm
170 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA
there should be booze,tunes,and lovely wenches aplenty there!
No cover charge there either!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119390914789422

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 2:20 PM

Kirby frantically call GROG saying we can't cancel the Tiki Wonderland show.

If we get enough people interested in vending at the Tiki Wonderland show, then we'll have it. GROG would like to do it either Saturday, Dec.11, or Sunday , Dec. 12. Lakesurfer will be in town that weekend, so we'll be able to get him to bring stuff. GROG prefer not to charge anything for people to come to the show. Artists/vendors, there is no vendor fee, and even if you don't sell anything you still get to hang out and drink with a great bunch of friendly people. So, let GROG know if you are interested in vending at the Tonga Hut on that weekend, and we'll see if we can get this to work.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-03 14:21 ]

On 2010-11-03 13:58, little lost tiki wrote:
May i suggest my "All over the Map" exhibition this Saturday
for all your Christmas and plain ol art needs?
There will be free alcoholic and non-alcoholic punch there
No admission
a lovely Dj spinning lovely tunes
a garden paradise outside the gallery
great food by a renowned Master Chef
and Parking is free!
There will be around 10 Tiki
and another 20-some not-so-tiki pieces there.

No thanks Ken for the SPAM ... maybe you could just steal my purse or wallet instead.

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-11-03 14:49 ]

On 2010-11-03 14:18, little lost tiki wrote:
Guilty as charged!

also,don't miss BigToe's Shimmer and Rot exhibition
at Rothick art haus November 13th 7-11pm

Ken, you can have the change in my pockets.

I vote yes Grog we need a little Christmas :)

P.S. Grog, Hiphip have 2 items on the drink menu 1 at $5 and 1 at $7
I will always offer something for the friends of the art.

Speaking of the 3 C's... Christmas, Class, and Carrying yourself in a professional manner, did you see that huge header Hanford had to post on rules & manner? Oh wow! See you at Winter Wonderland !!!

R

yay winterwonderland!!!!! i can't wait...saturday night is my vote!!

M
Mo-Eye posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 3:44 PM

Hi Grog!

Here's my thoughts on this, in no particular order:

• The cover thing won't work - I think it will scare away more people than it would be worth, and I don't think I would deserve anything if I didn't sell anything.

• I've done retail for quite a while, and I'm a strong believer in the fact that if you didn't sell anything at a certain event, then you've got the wrong products, price points, or selling technique for that crowd. I did the Halloween show, which I thought had a pretty low turnout, and I still made a handful of sales. For me, it was worth it to drive up from San Diego, only work for about 3 hours and have some drinks. Almost all art is a hard sell in this market right now, so I think the lower priced parking lot wares may do better.

• The toughest thing about the Winterland show is that it is only 3 weeks away from the Gilligan show, but I say go ahead and do it. Everyone just needs to work a little bit harder to make it happen. I'll gladly help out in promoting or such however I can. I'm coming up for the Gilligan show, and you can count me in for the winter wonderland show if it happens.

• I think the halloween show attendance was crappy for a number of reasons. I think most people who were going out did it up on Saturday night and were too hung over to anything on Sunday. Then, if you have kids, Halloween night is already shot. I think probably not a great holiday to do an event on.

• For your date options on the Winterland show, I would choose Saturday. Drinking event will always do better on Saturday as opposed to Sunday.

Just my 2 cents...

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 3:59 PM

OK, here's my two "sense"..for what it's worth. I was one of the artist there at Halloween and also was disappointed in the turn out, and also have mixed feelings about what works when combining "entertainment" with an Art Show where participants intend to profit from their art.

I am sure you were speaking in jest, "Ron-tiki" so I won't take the artists comment you made seriously, being an artist. If anyone truly believed that..you would have no creativity in any aspect of your life to wallow in...films would be a test screen with white spot, buildings would all be colorless cubes and your car would be a four wheeled cart with a stick to lead it in the desired direction...artists and creative minds are what you want to foster unless you can, yourself "color your world" all by your self. You know this..so again, I won't spend time on such a thing.

An art event where any "artist"..be it a musician or carver or painter or mug maker spends their time to bring custom made, one of a kind, original creations to the Tiki Ohana should be generating results for these people. Period! There is a lot of great talent out here...many travel impressive distances and lot's expend heart into these things. When the mix of art and craft selling to idol entertainment get's confusing, something suffers I have noticed. I have observed this in Hawaii with the galleries that show my work over the years.

I have done shows where we have live music and booze and anything to create draw off of Waikiki's main strip...and often this format generated the least sales. People ate our pu pu's, drank our wine and chewed my brain off talking about their lives...and bought little or nothing to support the artists. Other times we did nothing but say.."meet the artist night". Nothing else. It was clear that it was about art and potentially attracting those interested in owning the art and getting to know the artist. We would often make great sales and attract a collector of greatest appreciation for the art and coming back regularly to own a new piece. I dunno... Wondering if there is a parallel here. The mix..? What people are comming for...etc.

I am not sure of the complete answer. I do know that I can also support the notion, as an artist that I enjoy showing art just for the Ohana. However, I also know that it takes a lot of effort to pull together work and get it to an event billed as an "art show" and at any art show, short of open house in High School for your Mom and dad, It's there so artists can generate apreciation in both observatio and selling their work. I heard numerous comments on Halloween as well from the other artist saying things like.." Geesh..Like NO ONE is buying anything!" Most were around the bar..or talking in the middle of the dance floor or breaking a leg to leap in to the free giant pizza. Sure, these were some sales that night..but no proportionate to the title of the event. So, yah have to take the observation to heart as an artist and say...Is this the best place for me to be focusing my efforts to sell and show my work again?

Ernie deserves a huge amount of praise for his passion for art and coordinating many great events at Tonga...and artists. This issue should really be more of a heads up as to seeing what triggers what in regards to expectations when art is showcased. I have a ton of respect for the fellow artists on here and would really like to explore ideas as to how to generate greater results for all. I also think we need to look at how to expose More of the general public to this little world we all create so well too, cus that could bring in more exposure for talent.

Anyway, I threw in my thoughts. I don't want this to turn into fruit fight over who's mint sprig and umbrella has more fruit on it. Observations and good intent are the objective. NO one is wining...these are valid issues and just a matter of looking at cause and affect so, for those thirsty for a heated debate, sit down and count your mugs. Let's work together and keep the magic going and the art flowing~~

[ Edited by: THOR's 2010-11-03 16:02 ]

L

Please have the show.

Halloween weekend is a SUPER tough weekend to even plan a party since you are already competing with so many other events....also the fact that Halloween fell on a Sunday was a contributing problem. Your concept was a great one..if you have it next year it should be earlier in the month as like a kick off to Halloween.

I have seen the Wonderland thread before and it was successful-I think you dont need to stress just because this past event had a low turnout.

The Gilligan's Island weekend is a new/fun concept that will surely be the highlight of November.

I think you could expect the same of the Wonderland show in December. I know some NOrCal Ohana are talking about coming down for both events.

I hope you have it :)

EDIT yay you are throwing it! Happy to read this!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-11-03 16:12 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 4:42 PM

Yes, it is a go.

These events really help the Tonga Hut to survive and as a Tiki Community we should really strive to support our tiki bars.

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 5:36 PM

"These events really help the Tonga Hut to survive and as a Tiki Community we should really strive to support our tiki bars."

That is definitely always a big thumbs up Ernie! ~T

Jen and I want to personally say MAHALO to Grog for making shows like this possible.

Also big thanks to Hiphipahula and Tonga Hut for providing the base of operations.

** I am very pleased to announce that I will finally be able to be a part of the Tiki Wonderland this year!**

I am working on some very special keepsake pieces for this show.

Hand carved tiki ornaments for your tree and some other little surprises that will look great as part of your holiday decor.

If you've seen my Tiki Temple Collection... think scaled down a bit and done up in a holiday theme!

Maybe a sneak peak the week of, but for now I've got a lot of work to do!

I'm looking forward to seeing friends and fellow artists in December! Order up some sunny warm weather as we'd love to be able to leave the gloves and jackets at home!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 11:15 AM

Glad to have you as a part of the show. Your stuff is killer.

Grog, I think the key is to get the word out about this way beyond Tiki Central. Be obnoxious about it: Make a Facebook page, market it as flatly "a TIKI CHRISTMAS" (so EVERYbody out there gets it) and put eye candy fliers/cards all over town, at WACKO, on Vermont Ave, downtown, in Hollywood, and so on, to get those borderline Tiki likers into it. Who here can put it on the radio? Any other suggestions from folks here to spread the word?

I was just telling Kirby the exact same things last night.
You have to get the word out to more than just the TC people.

even only 10 percent or less of the So. Cal. tiki peeps will go.
so you have to publicize it to the masses.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-11-04 11:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
Grog, I think the key is to get the word out about this way beyond Tiki Central. Be obnoxious about it: Make a Facebook page, market it as flatly "a TIKI CHRISTMAS" (so EVERYbody out there gets it) and put eye candy fliers/cards all over town, at WACKO, on Vermont Ave, downtown, in Hollywood, and so on, to get those borderline Tiki likers into it. Who here can put it on the radio? Any other suggestions from folks here to spread the word?

like Sven said...
Make a FaceBook and MySpace Exhibition Page
maybe a temp website with all the art or something about each oif the artists
and e-mail blasts...make it viral...
There are plenty of folks in the community who could grab that e-mail
and throw it onto their e-mail lists....
Been doing ALL DIGITAL invites for the show on Saturday and it looks like there's gonna be an extraordinary amount of folks attending...
You'd be surprised....
TC Events thread could just be the start of the promotion...
and let it grow and evolve from there..you'll be surprised!

Saturday show? What show? :D

see?
it works!
:wink:

Let me know if you want to do postcards or flyers to put around town...I work cheap! :)

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2010-11-04 12:23 ]

T

I concur with all the advice of everyone else.

Facebook and event posting sites like Eventbrite are key. The tiki community will support you when they can, but the key is to E X P A N D the Tiki community.
Bring more people in. Otherwise it's a club with the same members and no new blood.

Facebook is so important for these kinds of things. For those last few people who are facebook resistors (Ernie), you're doing yourself a disservice, ESPECIALLY if you are a person who puts on events. GET ON FACEBOOK !

Also, I will add, that, as much fun as it is to keep making different photoshop flyers with goofy stuff on them, a definitive branding, and eye catching event graphic is super important. Being subtle, understated and inside jokey just makes your 10 or 12 friends laugh, but means nothing to the people who aren't in on the joke. Like Sven said, make it in broad general terms as to lure in the people who are not part of the TC community.

Make a great flyer, and post it everywhere you can. Brand recognition is key. Also, start your advertising as far ahead as possible, and just saturate.

There ya go.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 12:56 PM

Howabout this flier.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-04 13:21 ]

T

The Graphic is great....But........WHAT IS "TIKI WONDERLAND" ?

You need a descriptive tag line.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2010 1:16 PM

GROG fix it later. Right now GROG gotta go finish this mold for the Tonga Hut Mug or we won't have any finished in time to debut at the show.

T

Cool....when it's done, make some flyers and bring them to the Mayflower and Tonga Hut Gilligan shows....

We're there to support ya Ernie !

T

Great ideas, fellers, for promoting the show. Ernie, if you get postcards made let me have a handful or two so I can distribute them around my neighborhood. We've got a number of vintage clothing stores & comic book shops around here that probably wouldn't mind a small stack on their countertops.

On 2010-11-04 12:56, GROG wrote:
Howabout this flier.

Love it! But too subtle. You gotta fit in a real ugly (or even better, phallic) Tiki in there somewhere. You know that Yin and Yang, Beauty and the Beast thing. And I do believe that, as stupid as it sounds to you and me, it's also gotta say "a Tiki Christmas" somewhere. The juxtaposition is ear-catching and will make the concept clear at first glance. If you don't get them at the first glance, they will pass it over.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 7, 2010 2:30 PM

Artists and vendors, contact GROG for a space. Making a list, and will check it twice (learned that one from Santa).

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Nov 7, 2010 2:58 PM

I'm not sure if this image is under copyright but it is iconic:

Maybe Bettie decorating a Christmas tree with Tiki ornaments and a larger Tiki in the background.

I wish I could draw. :(

Ho!

Ho!

Ho!

Is this Merry Tikimas enough for you?

Grog,

I have always loved your December Tonga Hut shows. I am sorry I wasn't able to attend your recent Halloween event, and I do believe the reason the turnout was smaller than usual was that there were so many Halloween parties going on that day. Plus many of our ohana have children, who needed to be squeezed into their costumes and marched around the neighborhood. I recall that your Winter Wonderland shows have always been packed, and not just because of the holiday cookie competition! Artists who bring a few "seasonal" type pieces often sell out of those. Tiki Christmas tree ornaments anyone? Santa-Tiki mug for your rummy 'nog? Will SOMEONE please whip up a bunch of Tikified Santa hats for sale? Eric October, I'm talking to YOU.

T

On 2010-11-08 20:09, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:

...Will SOMEONE please whip up a bunch of Tikified Santa hats for sale? Eric October, I'm talking to YOU.

Uh-oh... looks like I've got my marching orders...

On 2010-11-07 14:58, JOHN-O wrote:
I'm not sure if this image is under copyright but it is iconic:

Maybe Bettie decorating a Christmas tree with Tiki ornaments and a larger Tiki in the background.

I wish I could draw. :(

BAZINGA!

T

I'm in!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 12, 2010 1:28 AM

Yay! Antonio De la Tiki in da Hut!

M

Dang! I can't Vend this-can't make it that weekend!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2010-12-05 23:41 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 17, 2010 5:29 PM

That's fine. GROG put you on the vendor list.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 23, 2010 9:27 AM

Only three weeks until the always marvelous TIKI WONDERLAND at the Tonga Hut. GROG and Kirby trying to get a limited edition run of 25 Tonga Hut mugs done in three weeks! It going to be close one. We may not get ALL 25 completed, but we're going to damn well try! This how far we've gotten so far.

Only 25? I'd like to pre-order one now!

-Erik

Me too! Pre-order for one.

~ Jason

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-11-23 11:08 ]

T

Ditto that! A pre-order request from me as well.

[ Edited by: Tobor64 2010-11-23 10:17 ]

T

Me too (I mean four?)

Sherriyaki and Tonga Tom for one each as well.

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies