Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5 on Saturday, Dec. 11. 2010

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

I don't want one yet, I'll want one later when it's sold out, backordered and a huge pain in the ass. You can put me down for one then.

Please! :evil:

Ditto..........what Bora Boris said,
count us in for one also!

R

i want one!!

Just a few of the special pieces I'm bringing with me to Tiki Wonderland... Holiday themed "Tiki Temples"

Scratch built from wood and other materials, these come in at 14" W x 9" H x 2.5" D. I'll have 2 of each style with me.

"Hawaiian Holiday"

"Merry Marquesan"

Closeup

The two styles together

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-11-23 14:32 ]

Lake Surfer..........those Tiki Chalets are just awesome. Very Impressive.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 24, 2010 1:32 PM

Yesterday the sun was setting at 4:30pm, so it looks like we will have to have the Tiki Wonderland inside like in previous the years because we will run out daylight too quickly outside. So, NO VENDING IN THE PARKING LOT, we'll be inside The Hut.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-24 13:50 ]

Ern, I would Kill to do something for this, but with my current workload as the Holiday jam approaches, I'd be lucky if I could even crack open my sketchbook and just design something.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 25, 2010 12:19 PM

Thanks for the offer, but since we're doing vending inside, we're pretty filled up with artist/vendors now.

We've got some artists/vendors coming in from far away--- Lake Surfer from Milwaukee, WI. Mr. Smiley from Nevada, and Tiki Joe's Ocean from Washington. Tiki Tony has a pretty good drive, too.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 28, 2010 8:54 AM

GROG pouring greenware as fast as the mold will allow (you have to let the mold dry out between pours or it deteriorates faster), so GROG doing three pours a day--- one early morning, one in the afternoon, and one late at night.
We've got one AP cooling in the kiln and another one about to go in for glaze testing. Kirby came over and cleaned 12 greenware, so Kirby is learning the joys of ceramics--- and something tell GROG Kirby not liking it that much. The Tonga Hut Mug army is gathering:

Dec.11 is right around the corner, so start saving your pennies for Christmas shopping at Tiki Wonderland.

Looks like it's going to be about $50 for this big boy (and it IS BIG). Limited edition of 25.

If it comes out like we're hoping, It'll be a matt glaze and it'll have two colors used on it. A darker brown in the recesses. GROG post a pic as soon as we get a successful artist proof.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-28 09:42 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 28, 2010 9:03 AM

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-28 10:37 ]

May I pre-order a mug, too? Or do I just need to get my butt over there right at 4? :)

[ Edited by: Krisdrama 2010-11-28 09:57 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 28, 2010 9:35 AM

GROG keeping a list of pre-orders. GROG put you on it.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 28, 2010 10:05 AM

Looks like it's going to be about $50 for this big boy (and it IS BIG). Limited edition of 25.

How big is it? Looks like it's going to be about 9 and 1/4 inches. About the same height as the first Derek Yaniger Tiki Magazine mug made by Tiki Farm. GROG put Tiki Leilani in there for comparison, too. It'll have a two-tone matte glaze.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-28 10:32 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 28, 2010 10:37 AM

P.S. If ya'll can help us and post something on your myspace, facebook, blog, website, or etc. to help advertise the event, GROG, the artists, and the Tonga Hut would appreciate the help. Here's the lo-rez flier:

Thanks.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-11-28 10:39 ]

T

Held the prototype last weekend at The Mayflower Club & it's very ergonomical...fits the hand very comfortably.

Can't wait to get my mitts on one at the Wonderland show.

I gotta have my Tonga Hut Mug Grog :)

I'm getting lots of questions Grog as to who are the vendors? Is there a list please :)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 30, 2010 12:58 PM

Vendors:

GROG&Kirby --selling the limited edition Tonga Hut Mug
Tiki Tony
Crazy Al
Tiki Joe's Ocean
Tobunga
Lake Surfer
Taboo Island
Mr. Smiley

Snow flurries fly outside my studio window... as the countdown to Tiki Wonderland begins!

Only 11 days until the "Mele Kalikimaka Collection" comes to Tonga Hut!

More sneak previews in the days to come!

[ Edited by: lake surfer 2010-11-30 14:02 ]

[ Edited by: lake surfer 2010-12-06 00:44 ]

On 2010-11-10 15:20, tobunga wrote:

On 2010-11-08 20:09, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:

...Will SOMEONE please whip up a bunch of Tikified Santa hats for sale? Eric October, I'm talking to YOU.

Uh-oh... looks like I've got my marching orders...

A little late, but....

Some Tikified stockings for the fireplace mantle might be nice too.

Eric's got lots of time between now and next Saturday!

DC

M

Hey Grog, I'd like to get on that pre-order list as well. -Becky

TT

Put me on that mug pre-order list!

A

Sir Grog, if you can, please put me (Stephen) and Lizz and Kon Karl down for one each! They look
Fantastic! Yet another awesome piece! Still have to
Have you fit my Moai with his hat! Thank you so much!!

TT

Ooh sexy!

K

The glazes turned out niiice! Great job guys!

Pure Bitchinness! Kirby & Grog are a awesome team! "Big Mo" never looked better :) Nice photo Tonga Tom you too are Bitchin' !

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-12-06 17:36 ]

Merry Christmas All!

Just a reminder, the doors open at 4:00 pm and the Tonga Hut is bringing out the tiki troop for this one. Extra help, fast line! Special menu! It's going to be a gas. See you Saturday

12808 Victory Bl. In good 'Ol NoHoHoHo!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 8, 2010 2:55 PM

GROG' computer broken, so GROG have to come to public library to use computer. GROG' computer broke, GROG' glasses broke, GROG got nail in car tire, and GROG got sppeding ticket. Only five more weeks of unemployment insurance for GROG, then GROG will be just a jobless animator. So, GROG pissed-off and stressed right now.

GROG and Kirby been busy doing test glazes and firing Tong Hut AP's. Looks like it will be a two-tone piece and glossy instead of matte. Glossy looked best and got the best reaction on the first two AP's GROG and Kirby took to the Tonga Hut last Sunday.

GROG was talking with Kirby, and we agreed that the Tonga Hut/Tiki Wonderland patrons should get first dibs on this first limited edition run of Tonga Hut mugs. So, if you are on the waiting list and coming to the Tiki Wonderland on Saturday, you get first dibs. Out-of state/out-of-towners, if you're not coming to the Tonga Hut, then you will get dibs on any mugs that are left over after the event if they don't sell out. Sorry if GROG had said you were on the list to receive one, and GROG have to renig on offer, but GROG should have discussed with Kirby first. Actually, we shouldn't have had a reserve list to begin with, but live and learn.
We are planning on doing another, bigger run of hopefully about 125 in a different glaze, so if you are not able to getone of the limited edition first 25 mugs in this color, you will still have a chance of getting a Tonga Hut mug in another color.

We will have a raffle for one of the Artist Proofs (AP), so patrons at the Tiki Wonderland may have a chance of getting one that way, and maybe we will have an AP as a slient auction as well, so you might have a chance of getting one that way as well.

GROG may not be able to check the computer before the show since GROG computer broken. So, if you not hear from GROG before Saturday, then we will see you at the show. Also, nobody else gets on a waiting list for the mug from here on out since GROG can't check computer. First come, first served at the Tiki Wonderland event for those not already on the list.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-12-08 15:05 ]

CA

On 2010-12-06 13:30, Tonga Tom wrote:
Ooh sexy!

NICE GROGGY!

On 2010-12-08 14:55, GROG wrote:
GROG' computer broken, so GROG have to come to public library to use computer. GROG' computer broke, GROG' glasses broke, GROG got nail in car tire, and GROG got sppeding ticket. Only five more weeks of unemployment insurance for GROG, then GROG will be just a jobless animator. So, GROG pissed-off and stressed right now.

All this is really Grog's art method to actually return himself to the state of mind of being in the Stone Age, living the simple life, becoming lean and mean, so he can imbue the mug with the authentic "primitive" quality. Going all the way as any consummate artist should!

Sorry to hear about your woes, Ernie. Just be glad you're not in a relationship, because as these things go, that would be on the fritz right now too!

T

On 2010-12-03 19:56, Dustycajun wrote:

On 2010-11-10 15:20, tobunga wrote:

On 2010-11-08 20:09, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
...Will SOMEONE please whip up a bunch of Tikified Santa hats for sale? Eric October, I'm talking to YOU.

Uh-oh... looks like I've got my marching orders...

A little late, but....
Some Tikified stockings for the fireplace mantle might be nice too.
Eric's got lots of time between now and next Saturday!
DC

OK, Tangaroa-Ru and Dusty... Hope these fit the bill... TIki Bob santa hats...

...and Tiki Bob Christmas stockings!

Plus this 8x10 black paper drawing, nicely framed... "Silent Night, Quiet Village"

I'll have christmas card versions available too, plus some other stuff if I finish 'em in time!
See everybody at the show!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2010-12-10 04:52 ]

**NEWS FLASH! Just Added!.....

TOYS FOR TOTS DRIVE!**

Please bring your new, unwrapped toy with a value of at least $10.00 to the Tonga Hut "Tiki Winter Wonderland" and help make Christmas bright for so many children that are seeking Santa this year. :)
By doing so, the Tonga Hut will reward you with * 1 ***FREE ** * "Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland Cocktail"

It's the giving season please Join us in giving with the U.S. Marine Corp. and Toys For Tots! http://www.toysfortots.org/

I almost forgot, "The program is for infants through 14-year-olds. As Christmas looms, Toys for Tots especially needs donations of items for older children, 10 to 14, such as books, radios or watches. The program runs out of toys for that age group first, in part because it doesn't get as many donations for those kids." I might add, Fishing Poles, First Make-up kits, things of that sort.

Saturday December 11th Doors open at 4:00
12808 Victory Bl. NoHo Ho Ho! Ca.

*FREE "Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland Cocktail" Limited to 1 cocktail per person that brings 1 toy or more, no teams, pairing or groups.

We'll be seeing everyone in a few days with PLENTY of Tiki Joe's Ocean merchandise.
Gonna be a blast!
Mele Kalikimaka~!
Andy

TT

THE EVENT MENU!!!

Much too early for Santa's sleigh... I'll be flying with the goodies in the more conventional way!

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday, and sharing some holiday cheer!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 10, 2010 10:52 AM

Dropped by the public library real quick to check emails and stuff.

GROG waiting for kiln to cool down to check on ceramics. Keep fingers crossed.

See ya'll Saturday at the Tiki Wonderland event.

Thanks fior the special Christmas drinks Kelly.

GROG

Congrats Grog: Tiki Wonderland gets mentioned in this week's LA WEEKLY under LA.Weekly.com:

...but then, so far I have been unable to find any further info on that website. :(

Everything look great - the art, the gifts, the drinks. Looking forward to visiting the Tonga Hut and Tiki Wonderland.

DC

T

We are so bummed we can't make it to the Wonderland celebration, but the good news is that we'll be attending a dear friend's wedding.

Happy Holidays to all of our tiki pals!

Stephen & Julia

K
kirby posted on Fri, Dec 10, 2010 5:35 PM

Aloha!! We have mugs,GroG and I are realy happy with the way the first 25 turned out!!One more time in the kiln to thicken up the inner clear Glaze and its off to Winter Wonderland tomorrow.

I forgot to take final pic of the back but it looks similer to this

Also the official Tonga Hut Tiki pendant is back by popular demand so I will have some available at the show! Special Winter Wonderland price$12

Kirby's Island.com****The Tiki Adventure

[ Edited by: kirby 2010-12-10 17:39 ]

T

WOW!!! Those mugs look FANTASTIC! Congrats, Kirby and Grog!

I just spoke to Grog a few moments ago and since he is still unable to get on line in a timely manner, he asked me to pass along this message to vendors:

Set up for the show is between 1pm and 3pm tomorrow!

See everybody at the Hut!!!

On 2010-12-09 12:55, Hiphipahula wrote:

**NEWS FLASH! Just Added!.....

TOYS FOR TOTS DRIVE!**  

Please bring your new, unwrapped toy with a value of at least $10.00 to the Tonga Hut "Tiki Winter Wonderland" and help make Christmas bright for so many children that are seeking Santa this year. :)
By doing so, the Tonga Hut will reward you with * 1 ***FREE ** * "Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland Cocktail"

It's the giving season please Join us in giving with the U.S. Marine Corp. and Toys For Tots! http://www.toysfortots.org/

I almost forgot, "The program is for infants through 14-year-olds. As Christmas looms, Toys for Tots especially needs donations of items for older children, 10 to 14, such as books, radios or watches. The program runs out of toys for that age group first, in part because it doesn't get as many donations for those kids." I might add, Fishing Poles, First Make-up kits, things of that sort.

Saturday December 11th Doors open at 4:00
12808 Victory Bl. NoHo Ho Ho! Ca.

*FREE "Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland Cocktail" Limited to 1 cocktail per person that brings 1 toy or more, no teams, pairing or groups.

Merry Tiki Wonderland! See you all at the Tonga Hut with Art, Cocktails, DJ Marty Lush, Snacks, Friends & Fun! Doors open at 4:00 and I'm mixing until 10:00 pm

12808 Victory Bl. No. Hollywood

Merry Christmas! Thanks everyone for coming out to Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland. I had a fantastic time and wow, I even had a chance to visit with you. How about that, a Tonga Hut Tiki Mug!! It took 52 years but thanks to the talent of Kirby & Grog it happened! Congratulations! Shout out thanks also to DJ Marty Lush, Tonga Tom & Sherriyaki and my side kick for the night, Sara. Thanks also Sven, Naomi, Cass.., thanks for the beautiful Volcano Bowl so good to see you, Boris...xo, Jocelyn Sia you rock! L.A. Weekly News, Lake Surfer and Andy Tiki Joe's Ocean traveled so far wow! Trader Tom, Even Santa Crazy Al Evans came down our chimney! Thanks Jeremy for everything and the stacks of pizza once again for everyone. Thanks everyone for helping out the U.S. Marines with your "Toys for Tots" donations. Most of all, thanks to our loyal friends and artists, our tiki regulars, you make a Tiki Bar a "Tiki Bar" a million Mahalo's to all of you for your friendship and support! Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

P.S. I'm off work today, Sunday. My daughter is a professional Ballerina and I'm off to the Ballet to see her as a Snowflake Demi Soloist and the Dew Drop Fairy in the Nutcracker of course. I'm pouring Monday for Sara who will be in Hawaii come hang out with me 4-8 pm we will share some original HipHiPaHulA Cocktails off the new menus :wink:

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-12-12 09:55 ]

My first visit to Tonga Hut was a bunch of fun! A very cozy tiki bar! Thanks so much to Jeremy for being such a great host! Thanks to Kelly and the wonderful bartenders! Thanks Marty for the great tunes that kept the holiday mood going all night! Thanks to Ernie for wrapping this whole gift up into Tiki Wonderland! Thanks to all the great vendors! And thank you very much to everyone who took a Lake Tiki creation home with them, I really appreciate your wonderful support! It was great to talk with all my West Coast friends again throughout the night, I love ya all!

I had a great time last night, thank you GROG, Jeremy, Kelly, Kirby and everyone there who made last night a lot of fun! :D

Grog, you truly inhabit the spirit of Tikimas! Once again, you put together another wonderful wonderland! Thank you to the Tonga Hut (Jeremy and Kelly!) and all the fun people and artists who showed up. I had a great time and left with some lovely prezzies for friends! (Okay...mainly for me.) I hope we all see each other soon again. Summer Tiki parties are just too far away! XOX and Aloha!

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies