Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Lava Lounge

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

Looking really good!!!

W

Hi ST, I'm loving your ceiling!

Awesome job, keep it going!

Chris

Ya lost me with the ivy, otherwise very cool! You are putting a lot into this and creating an awesome room! (Someday maybe I'll be so lucky...)

Thanks for the comments everyone. The ivy is there to cover the white metal rings that show. I went around them with rope but that just highlights them even more. The ivy is basically to hide them. I also decided to take out the colored lights and put red ones in there. Its makes the glazing on the wall pop more. Anyway thanks for the comments! I will add more pix as I get more done.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Picked up some cheep bookshelves from IKEA today that I am going to try and tiki-fy this weekend. Hope to have some pix up by Sunday!

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

L
Lente posted on Fri, Apr 15, 2011 8:23 AM

This is turning out to be hot. Love the paint job and the ivy on the lights.

I like it. I don't mind that ivy either (but you might wanna consider throwing in some hibiscus or other tropical flowers too). Nice job!

Thanks for the kind words my friends! I'm not 100% done with ceiling decore but close. I think I am going to put some flowers and what not behind the mask to kind of draw the eye there. I'll post more pix over the weekend as I get it put back together. I want to do some router work around the entry but lack the skills and don't want to copy everyone else. Though the end result is super cool in my book. I'll keep you posted!

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

[ Edited by: Suicide Tiki 2011-04-15 19:59 ]

Started working to tikify some shelving and storage for the Lava Lounge today. I have been needing more space to display all the trinkets I have in my collection and also a place to hide some stuff I dont want out. Anyway I was at IKEA the other day and had an idea about customizing some cheep shelves from there. Here is the process...

Started off with some cheep cabinets and bookcases from Ikea...

Let my inner pyro out to burn some bamboo for the trim...

Then added a little matting and some bamboo trim... eventually I think I will mount a couple of masks to these cabinet fronts. But for now they will do just like they are...

Then added a little matting to the back of the bookcase, added some LED lights which can be any set to any color and here is the end result...

Here is the matching set on the other side...

And here is the wide shot of the both of them... The pic really didn't take in the pure red light so I had to turn on a lamp so you could see better. But you get the idea from this photo.

...And that my friends is how you spend a Saturday working on a tiki room! Let me know what you think about the latest creation. As I mentioned I have little to no skills with power tools but this was something anyone could do if they need a simple way to dress up some ordinary bookshelves. As always comments and suggestions welcome.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

[ Edited by: Suicide Tiki 2011-04-17 00:06 ]

K

aloha ST,

mate, those painted walls look fantastic!!!, and the ceiling too.

i also like the idea of the leaves around the lights, kind of like the jungle
breaking through into the room, and as has been suggested some flowers would look
good - with maybe some more varied foliage trailing out along the beams? to make more of
a feature out of them.

the cabinets turned out great too, good work!

i bet you can hardly wait to get all your tiki goodness into that room.

cheers friend...bob

Hey Komohana!

Thanks for the kind words about my little project. I am going to keep my eye out for some more greenery to add to the ceiling but first I need to get the room put back together. I'll keep everyone here on TC posted as I make progress! Thanks again!

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Got the Ku planted back in his home spot... and used some rope light and some lava rock to create the lava effect for the central focal point of the Lava Lounge. I may take it apart though and try to do something to get his eyes to light up. He's made of fiberglass so I am thinking I could cut some kind of hatch into the back of his head. But I am scared I wont be able to get it back on. Anyone got any ideas?

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Been working on getting some of my trinkets back into place... here are a few pix of how the room is starting to come back together.

With a little light in the room...

Here is one without daylight... I think I need to light up the shelving or add some light to the left side of the room... but I love how this is coming together....

Pals,

Suicide Tiki

Wow! Great stuff!

I have been thinking about a non-invasive way of lighting up your Kyu's eyes. Possible suggestions (they may turn out looking lame, but you never know):

Red reflector strips (the sort you can buy at bicycle shops) - cut them to shape and stick them over the eyes

or

Phosphorescent paint (you may want to put tape on first and then paint on that so you don't damage the statue)

CN

The eyes did light up at one time. But they are are like crappy Xmas lights and run off of 2 AA batteries. One of the lights burned out. I'm still thinking about cutting into the back of it at around the neck level and then install a hinge on the piece I take out at the top. I'll super glue a popcicle stick on the inside so the piece does not go in and gravity should keep it closed. At least in theory it should. Anyone know where to buy LED light strips cheep?

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Worked a little bit on the Lava Lounge today. I put the shelf back up on the wall and made a pair of lamps out of a couple of glittery green skull planters I picked up for next to nothing after Halloween. I am going to put so frosted plexiglass on them and make them tables will will light whatever is put on them. But below is the progress I made on them thus far. As always any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Here is the final look of the left side cabinets I modified. The cabinet with the mask ca be used for storage and can double as a speaker cabinet.

Close up of the mask after it was mounted to cabinet door.

Got the shelf hung back on the wall. Next up to hide the electrical.

Lighted view of the shelf.

Wide lighted shot of the left side of the room... just to show you all the detail that does not show up with the room is properly bathed in red light! :)

Then modified this light to fit inside a pair ceramic skull planters I picked up.

Carefully drilled holes in the bottom of the ceramic skulls to accommodate the electrical cord. One false move with the drill and these bad boys were going to be trashed.

This is a "BEFORE" photo of the skull before they were modified to be lighted.

Here is the final outcome. I am going to put frosted plexi glass on top of these to make them lighted display tables. But this is how far I got today.

That brings you up to speed on the latest progress on my little slice of paradise.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Wow! I absolutely love your paint job! That is awesome. Now I'm feelin' the HEAT!
Quick, I need a drink to cool down!

Suicide, the Lava Lounge is uber swanky! I totally dig it! Hey, can you fix me a jet pilot, please? Mahalo!!!

Thanks for the kind words my friends.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Its been a while since I was on this site so I thought I would post some update pix to the Lava Lounge....

As you know a tiki bar never really is complete so every now and then I come across something else that belongs in my little bar. Anyway heres the update.

[ Edited by: Suicide Tiki 2013-12-08 19:40 ]

Q
Q-tiki posted on Mon, Dec 9, 2013 8:11 AM

Really nice space you've got there!!
I can't emphasize enough how much I like the Disney drummer. That would be top three on my tiki wish list.
I also really dig the red walls.

Cheers and aloha!

M

On 2013-12-08 19:35, Suicide Tiki wrote:

As you know a tiki bar never really is complete so every now and then I come across something else that belongs in my little bar. Anyway heres the update.

[ Edited by: Suicide Tiki 2013-12-08 19:40 ]

Im envious of your Trader Sams menus.
Ive been wanting to get a Trader Sams menu for my collection at home for some time now.
Is Disney selling them? Is it through Deliverears or a catalog of some type?

Nice Bar.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-12-09 16:03 ]

WOWZA!!!!

Hey dude, where did you get your 6 ft tall Tiki God of Money? I bought two of them a few years ago. I was told they were from a defunct Las Vegas resort? I sold one and kept one - thank god - chicks seem to like it!Check out my shack at http://www.tikirancher.blogspot.com
Cheers,

Pages: 1 2 71 replies