Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

I Want Answers Mister!

Pages: 1 35 replies

Why in the hell is the letter d facing left, and the capital D is facing right?

I Want Answers Mister!

Really...that is a great question.

I still think a Boeing 737-800 with a maximum takeoff weight of 187,700 lbs shouldn't be floating about up in the sky.

If they ever decided to switch them backwards,
I would have to take English all over again. :D

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the TRUTH!!!!

I want to know why you can't buy mouse flavored cat food?

If the great biblical flood covered all the mountains, including Everest, how come the animals on the ark didn't get nosebleeds?

TM

On 2010-11-18 22:51, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
If the great biblical flood covered all the mountains, including Everest, how come the animals on the ark didn't get nosebleeds?

According to the young earthers (people like Sarah Palin who believe the earth is only 6000 years old), the earth was created "as is", with sedimentation, striation, growth rings on trees, and carbon 14, and fossils already in the earth. According to them, God likes to trick us, and they don't have a decent explanation of why.

Come on, I can do better than that. Nosebleeds and altitude sickness are caused by lack of atmosheric pressure and atmoshperic pressure is the weight of the atmosphere pressing down on the earth. Since the atmosphere is less dense than water and yet more dense than the vacuum of space, when the earth is covered by water the atmosphere remains suspended between the water and space. Maybe this thead should be merged with the Ask Little Lost Tiki Absolutely Anything Thread thread?

MT

I've had this burning question deep inside me. If someone wanted a new vehicle, for say, transportation, but also wanted said vehicle to be able to wander anywhere, even off of paved roads, does such a vehicle exist? I wonder what type of vehicle would be best suited for these purposes? Station wagon? Naw. Miata? Definitely NOT. PT Cruiser? Hmmmmm, getting closer, but still no? 1963 Buick WildCat Convertible? I wish, but sadly, no off road capability. Can anyone suggest such a vehicle? Anyone? Anyone?

On 2010-11-19 08:20, MadDogMike wrote:
Come on, I can do better than that. Nosebleeds and altitude sickness are caused by lack of atmosheric pressure and atmoshperic pressure is the weight of the atmosphere pressing down on the earth. Since the atmosphere is less dense than water and yet more dense than the vacuum of space, when the earth is covered by water the atmosphere remains suspended between the water and space.

I knew that. I just wanted to see if Mike did.

On 2010-11-19 12:42, Mai Tai wrote:
I've had this burning question deep inside me. If someone wanted a new vehicle, for say, transportation, but also wanted said vehicle to be able to wander anywhere, even off of paved roads, does such a vehicle exist? I wonder what type of vehicle would be best suited for these purposes? Station wagon? Naw. Miata? Definitely NOT. PT Cruiser? Hmmmmm, getting closer, but still no? 1963 Buick WildCat Convertible? I wish, but sadly, no off road capability. Can anyone suggest such a vehicle? Anyone? Anyone?

Mai Tai, I saw a lifted 4x4 Triumph TR3 in Ensenada Mex about 30 years ago, I see no reason why you can't do that with your '63 Wildcat :D

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Nov 19, 2010 6:30 PM

Mouse flavored cat food. Yum!

WHY do cats love to eat fish (they go cracky over it) if they DON'T SWIM? How did they develop the typical cat's almost universal, obviously imbedded evolutionary taste for fish?

Especially as fish gone bad is poisonous, and they only eat it when it's been washed up on shore? ie. GONE BAD!? (They don't SWIM!)

Huh? Huh?

B

On 2010-11-19 08:20, MadDogMike wrote:
Come on, I can do better than that. Nosebleeds and altitude sickness are caused by lack of atmosheric pressure and atmoshperic pressure is the weight of the atmosphere pressing down on the earth. Since the atmosphere is less dense than water and yet more dense than the vacuum of space, when the earth is covered by water the atmosphere remains suspended between the water and space. Maybe this thead should be merged with the Ask Little Lost Tiki Absolutely Anything Thread thread?

There would never be enough water on this planet to reach the top of Mt. Everest AND if there WAS, wouldn't the compressed space between the water and the outer atmosphere be similar to the atmosphere of say, Venus, more of a "thick" or "soupy," unbreathable space? Just wondering.

On 2010-11-19 07:51, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2010-11-18 22:51, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

According to the young earthers (people like Sarah Palin who believe the earth is only 6000 years old), the earth was created "as is", with sedimentation, striation, growth rings on trees, and carbon 14, and fossils already in the earth. According to them, God likes to trick us, and they don't have a decent explanation of why.

Weirdly, I know people, people with college educations, who actually think this concept makes sense. But, native Hawaiians think Pele is running around the volcanoes.

So, I suppose young Earthers should drink Mai Tais.

On 2010-11-18 21:22, Unga Bunga wrote:

I Want Answers Mister!

because if the lower case "d" faced right it would be the letter "b"...then what would we do ??

now stop this nonsense and tell me how close does a fly get to the ceiling before turning over to land, since flies don't land upside down on their backs ?

Good question Tipsy, I'm sure NASA has already spent billions of our money researching that.

On a related note: When you drop a cat it always lands on it's feet. When you drop a peanut butter covered piece of bread it always lands peanut butter side down. If you strap a peanut butter covered piece of bread to the back of a cat and drop it, will it hover spinning just above the floor?

Why is it, the closer you get to the ocean, the more expensive seafood is?

Well, I finally found out who invented the question mark.
Alcuin of York

But god damn it! Back to square one, the Arabic question mark is facing right.

I QUIT!

Who decided that a lower case l when written, looks suspiciously like an upper case I? And for that matter why is a children's toy store chain "R" backwards. Some kind of intentional illiteracy or some form of cold war era soviet plot?

T

And, did Adam & Eve have navels? And if we all started out from two people, aren't we then all the products of incest?! (Eeew...)

Why isn't the earth's crust littered with skeletons of the missing link?

To avoid the "Facebookification" of TC, I'm going to steer this topic towards tiki island - How do you tell when a lime is ripe?

TK

it should have a slight give to it when gently squeezed and should have that wondeful lime smell. what is facebookification??? i have NEVER done FB. prolly nevah will.

Can Geico REALLY save you 15% on car insurance?

Did the little piggy really go wee wee wee all the way home?

TM

On 2010-11-21 21:22, Jungle Trader wrote:
Why isn't the earth's crust littered with skeletons of the missing link?

because Fossils are very rare. it takes many different factors for one to be created. Also, we have not dug everywhere, and it's a pretty big planet.

B

On 2010-11-23 15:47, Jungle Trader wrote:
Did the little piggy really go wee wee wee all the way home?

...and does my backside look big in this dress?

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-11-25 09:16 ]

MT

On 2010-11-25 09:15, Jungle Trader wrote:

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-11-25 09:16 ]

I wanna know the mysterious message that Vic posted! :?

Bill, I posted a link but it didn't go where I wanted it to go. If I can figger it out, I'll post it ageein.

If someone can be inane or inept, does that mean they can also be ane or ept?

Along those lines, I've heard of (and have been a) disgruntled workers, but never a "gruntled" worker.

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2010-11-26 11:00 ]

As a scientific type, whenever the, "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck...?" query was raised, this mind mind needed to have some standards before replying:

What size of woodchuck? Are there weight classes for woodchucking woodchucks, like wrestlers and boxers?
What age of woodchuck? Are we talking park district, college or pros?
What type of wood? Different woods are different hardness and weight-per-mass.
Was the woodchuck doing this for recreation or work, and if so, what was the piecework rate?
Was this a union woodchuck?
What is the test standard and tolerances for an acceptable piece of chucked wood?
What is the time period allowed for the measurement of wood being chucked?

On 2010-11-18 21:22, Unga Bunga wrote:

I Want Answers Mister!

When the typography known as Uncial came along, that's when the miniscule "d" began facing left.

In Uncial, the letter "d" is made like and upside down majiscule "Q". It's round with the tail pointing upwards. The particualr way it was written connected the ascender (in thes case, the upside down tail) to the right-hand side of the character.

When the type evolved into Half-Uncial and Visgothic, they straightened the ascender, which naturally fell to the right.

Pages: 1 35 replies