Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

KAHUNA KEVIN'S Why is the rum gone? A Collection of 40 Tiki-Licious Rum Cocktails

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

I'm happy to announce that my first rum cocktail book 'Why is the rum gone?' is now HOT OFF THE PRESS!

All 40 cocktails are 100% unique, clever, even complicated at times. Ranging from 100% Tiki, to not so Tiki, to
the soon to be legendary breakfast Bac-O-Tini, large full color photos dawn each cocktail page. Will you brave the
liver curdling single serving Morphine Bowl or skip like a little girl straight to the light and fruity Kaijito, an Asian
twist on the boring old lime Mojito? Will you ride the dizzying Guavatron until you vomit or revisit Don's classic
Zombie, completely deconstructed, reanimated and rebuilt toes up as Kahuna Kevin's Headless Zombie?

Order your copy now for some awesome drinks. If you're one who likes to spend the extra time to make a truly great
cocktail, this one's definitely for you!

To order simply send $24.99 USD + Shipping via PayPal.com to:
[email protected]

Standard US & International Shipping Rates:

USA: Add $4.99 (+$1.49 each additional book)
CANADA: Add $6.99 USD (+$1.49 each additional book)
INTERNATIONAL: Add $10.99 USD (+$2.99 each additional book)

*Bulk & wholesale orders are available. Please contact me directly for specific details and quotes.

Please visit http://www.KahunaKevin.com for more info and the latest updates.

My artist Kray does 100% custom word. A very elusive fellow, it's best to contact him ASAP!
http://www.TripleXSkateboards.com for KRAY's contact info.
http://xxxskateboards.blogspot.com for KRAY's blog and past & present creations!

The amazing book layout was done by Paul at PEPE Creatives: http://www.PEPECreatives.com

FULL DRINK LIST - 40 Total:

731 Doubloons
Acid Bowl
Addled Wench
Bac-O-tini
Beretta Vendetta
Bikini Bombshell
Black Eddy
Blackbeard's Depth Charge
Bosun's Blood Clot
Caramel Rebellion
Dirty Skullywag
Edge of The World
Five Mile Stare
Guavatron
Headhunter's Punch
Hoku Honi
Honey Dew'd
Hot Booty Rum
Irish Nutjob
Kahuna Kevin's Headless Zombie
Kahuna Kevin's Limey Bastard
Kaijito
Lei'd on the Beach
Mary Anne & Ginger
Morphine Bowl
Napoleon's Nightcap
Perilous Punch of Personality +2
Port to Starboard
Punahele Pod
Rhumshackle Punch
Scurvy Mouthbanger
Skully's Grog
Spice Melange
Sun Dog
Three Amigos!
Truffle Shuffle
Unassuming Bastard
White Flag
Witches Blood
Yo-Ho-Ho Bowl

BONUS DESSERT RECIPE:

Crepe & Pillage

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-04-29 19:39 ]

[ Edited by: kahuna kevin 2011-05-23 13:52 ]

Dec. 15th, 2010: Sneak peeks!!! 22 page test print and coil bind to make sure important things aren't getting chopped. Layout is now 75% complete. Final booklet will be ~52 pages, printed in glorious full color on very thick 100lb glossy card stock.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-20 18:47 ]

Looks great!!! I just pre-ordered.

RB

Dang it, why are the recipes blurred out in the pictures? :lol:

Looks awesome...can't wait to spend some Christmas money on it.

On 2010-12-16 05:23, VampiressRN wrote:
Looks great!!! I just pre-ordered.

Thanks for your pre-order Vamp! Check my website this weekend for more progress updates.

KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-16 12:41 ]

Nice!
Can't wait to get one... it's always nice to be able to add more artillery to the arsenal.

do you ship overseas?

if so how much to the UK (england)?

On 2010-12-16 16:25, Pikeys Dog wrote:
do you ship overseas?

if so how much to the UK (england)?

Yes, eventually, but first I need to print and weigh the final book to get an accurate shipping quote. I'll get back to you soon after I release locally! Also check the website in a few weeks for international shipping quotes - it may be a flat rate surcharge to cover everyone regardless of location outside the US.

Thanks!
KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-16 16:34 ]

...and thanks to those of you pre-ordering! You're making my initial out of pocket production costs much easier!!!

KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-16 16:37 ]

Have some unedited drink shots...

ACID BOWL

GUAVATRON

HONEY DEW'D

SCURVY MOUTHBANGER

UNASSUMING BASTARD

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-16 17:13 ]

Loving the pictures...that first one is awesome!!!!

On 2010-12-16 19:11, VampiressRN wrote:
Loving the pictures...that first one is awesome!!!!

Original post updated with the back cover picture - All 40 drinks shown.

You should convert those drink pictures into Mac system icons. Distribute it for free with a link to the website for your book. :D

On 2010-12-19 14:33, TikiTacky wrote:
You should convert those drink pictures into Mac system icons. Distribute it for free with a link to the website for your book. :D

Pretty cool idea! I'll speak to the guy doing my layout after printing.

-KK

Final 52 page proof printed 12-20-2010: Front cover and page thickness shots.

*Note the book was not cut to the correct dimensions.
The final version will be cropped 1/4" all around to equal 5.5" x 8.5".

Printing 30-50 copies tomorrow. Should have them by day end or before Friday for shipping.
Thanks for the pre-orders and checking this thread!

This booklet weighs 0.6 pounds!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-24 13:42 ]

I'll have a limited supply of books available to ship tomorrow afternoon! Those of you who pre-ordered, please watch your email for the shipping notification. Thanks -KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2010-12-21 16:01 ]

Behold! The first batch of 30 books! Shipping today!

Kahuna Kevin-got the new book with fantastic tiki libations to try out over the long holiday weekend! These sound great and I am sure will taste sublime! Thanks for the extremely fast shipment! Mahalo!

On 2010-12-24 16:08, Quasimodo57 wrote:
Kahuna Kevin-got the new book with fantastic tiki libations to try out over the long holiday weekend! These sound great and I am sure will taste sublime! Thanks for the extremely fast shipment! Mahalo!

Thanks for the feedback! Enjoy my labor of love... and I already started working on Volume #2 last night. 39 more to go :wink:

Please send me a few more bits of feedback after making some drinks. I'm looking for reviews to post once my website is retooled.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL! Parents & siblings just left and it's time to drink some straight hard rum...

Kevin, I got my copy and it is fantastic! love the names , pictures and the drinks! great job!

Amy

On 2010-12-27 14:21, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
Kevin, I got my copy and it is fantastic! love the names , pictures and the drinks! great job!

Amy

Thanks Amy! Send me a PM with more feedback once you make a few drinks. I'm looking for user quotes for my revamped website... er... once I'm not lazy and actually revamp the website that is. Happy New Year!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Dec 28, 2010 6:29 PM

Looks cool! Congratulations! It is brave to publish in this day & age.
I am a freelance Journalist editing "El Tiki Panfleto", If you send me a copy of your book, I will review it in my fanzine. Deal?

More pictures! c'mon! Share with us! it's only fair! otherwise we could suspect you are only in here to sell us your book!

Aloha

On 2010-12-28 18:29, Zeta wrote:
Looks cool! Congratulations! It is brave to publish in this day & age.
I am a freelance Journalist editing "El Tiki Panfleto", If you send me a copy of your book, I will review it in my fanzine. Deal?

Unfortunately the layout & printing costs for the first small run are averaging $23 per book out of pocket. I'm basically losing money on this run just to get them out and to spread the word, and I just can't afford to send any off as freebies at this time as I'll need to reprint fairly soon - only 8 more copies left. Sorry man.

You could always send him a digital copy with a watermark and an NDA. Reviews are always helpful!

What you see pictured below are test batches #1 & #2 of my just created cocktail spice syrup. Almost pitch black in the jar, it mixes to a reddish amber hue. 20 INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS & SPICES TOTAL - each spice weighed in Grams using a jewelers scale for 100% consistency. Takes approx. 30 minutes to whip up 1/2 a mason jar's worth, aka 16 Ounces.

The syrup recipe & cooking instructions will be revealed in my NEXT cocktail book along with approx. 5 custom cocktails using this syrup as a base (I just made one quick & dirty cocktail using Atlantico rum and it's possibly the best cocktail I've ever tasted). Just wanted to show you what else is in the works! Keep those orders coming in for book #1 so I can buy more exotic rums & mixers for book #2!!!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-01-01 21:37 ]

I received my copy and I couldn't be more pleased! The layout is nice, the pictures are clear, and the recipes look fantastic. I haven't had a chance to make one yet - I will and report back. This book is worth every penny, and then some. Kudos, Kevin!

On 2011-01-07 11:15, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
I received my copy and I couldn't be more pleased! The layout is nice, the pictures are clear, and the recipes look fantastic. I haven't had a chance to make one yet - I will and report back. This book is worth every penny, and then some. Kudos, Kevin!

Thank you sir!

And please leave a review on the Amazon.com site also...
http://www.amazon.com/KAHUNA-KEVINS-Why-Rum-Gone/dp/B004I7WM6Q

Also, I thought some of you might enjoy this... Tonight I received a surprise late X-Mas gift from 2 friends!
This is embroidered, not screen printed!!!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-01-08 05:13 ]

RB

Received my copy Saturday...WOW. Beautiful in every aspect. Wife is impressed, too, which is good, since it looks like there's some liquors I'll be needing :drink:

Niiiiice shirt! Would you consider selling those online, or at least t-shirts? I would love to get one.

On 2011-01-10 07:15, Rum Balls wrote:
Received my copy Saturday...WOW. Beautiful in every aspect. Wife is impressed, too, which is good, since it looks like there's some liquors I'll be needing :drink:

Glad you like it Rum Balls! Please post a review on Amazon.com after you delve into some of the drinks.
http://www.amazon.com/KAHUNA-KEVINS-Why-Rum-Gone/dp/B004I7WM6Q

-KK

On 2011-01-10 07:38, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
Niiiiice shirt! Would you consider selling those online, or at least t-shirts? I would love to get one.

This was a gift so I'll need to do a bit of research and speak with the company who did the embroidery. My friends had it done on a store bought Tommy Bahama shirt as well, so I know they paid a fairly hefty price... costs might be too high to even make this worthwhile, but I'll see what some options are. -KK

And thanks for the awesome review!!! I'm excited for book #2! I now have 4 unique spiced syrups and so far drinks using them are leaps and bounds beyond anything I've created.

Sneek peek at 4 of my custom syrups utilized in Book #2 (left to right):
Over-Spice, Blackberry-Clove Spice, Lemongrass-Mint Spice, Raspberry-Fuji Apple spice.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-01-10 14:30 ]

2 more books left from the first printing - Edition 000. Get em' while you can! Edition 001 will have a new Dedication picture and fixed 2 spacing errors which don't affect the actual content, but just annoyed me. What this means for those of you who love to hang onto rare stuff, if you have edition 000 you have 1/30 copies!!!!!! The next printing is the FINAL public release. No more changes to future prints, ever!

http://www.KahunaKevin.com for info and ordering info.

Also available at Amazon.com, but if you buy directly from my http://www.KahunaKevin.com website I don't have to shell out $6 to Amazon. All reviews are available at Amazon.com.

Mahalo!
KK

EDIT 01/18 1:43PM PST - Edition 000 ALL GONE!!! Get your orders in for the new Edition 001 final prints!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-01-18 13:52 ]

RB

Kevin, the straws in the pictures look cool. Are they paper, plastic or metal? Where do you get them? I like them a lot better than the standard black or neon ones I use.

On 2011-01-18 08:28, Rum Balls wrote:
Kevin, the straws in the pictures look cool. Are they paper, plastic or metal? Where do you get them? I like them a lot better than the standard black or neon ones I use.

I purchased the straws at Bevmo. They're called "Zak 10 Pc Dot Straw Set", they're made of unbreakable polycarbonate plastic & dishwasher safe. And cheap!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?D=straws&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&Ntk=All&Nty=1&Ntt=straws&N=0&ProductID=33417

And these are the martini picks I prefer to use. They look plastic but they're made of heavy glass. Found out the hard way... don't drop 'em.
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3706874&CAWELAID=505313266

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-01-18 13:43 ]

I'm picking up the next batch of cocktail books in a few hours if anyone's interested in getting one. I will be available all day & night to ship these out ASAP!!! Most will receive theirs in 2-3 days.

http://www.KahunaKevin.com for info and Paypal ordering instructions, or just search for Kahuna Kevin on Amazon.com or eBay. (They're all the same price but I get less cut taken out if you order directly via PayPal from my website - Hint Hint)

MAHALO!
-KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-01-31 11:30 ]

FREE SHIPPING (US ONLY) for the remainder of February if you purchase directly from me. That's $25 total, no tax, no shipping. Paypal $25 to [email protected] until Feb. 28th with a note you saw this posting on Tiki Central. I'll sign & mail all books the same day your payment is received. http://www.KahunaKevin.com for more info and a link to reviews on Amazon.com.

I also just created a new page on Facebook, so search for Kahuna Kevin's Rum Cocktails! I'll be posting special one-off recipes periodically for those who join.

THANKS!!!
-KK

M

Sent you a PM! (Though now I realize I probably should have just e-mailed you...)

Put in my order---looking forward to trying out your recipes!

New cocktail recipe up on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/KahunaKevinsRumCocktails

Join. Like. Share.

Thanks for the recent surge in book sales. Still officially jobless, so much thanks for the dinner funds this week! :)

Mahalo!
-KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-18 13:35 ]

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-24 13:40 ]

T

Sent my order too.
Thanks!

Thanks again!

Here's the score from this afternoon's Volume #2 experimental cocktail ingredient procurement list. Sadly most of this will be poured down the sink all in the name of cocktail excellence. Please purchase more books and help support the cause!

Left to right: Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum, Santa Teresa 1796 Rum, El Dorado 15 yr. Rhum, Zaya 12 yr. Rum, Becherovka liqueur, John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum liqueur, Hpnotiq liqueur, Grand Marnier liqueur, Drambuie liqueur.

Two more days to receive FREE US SHIPPING when you order my cocktail book directly via PayPal. $24.99 total, NO shipping, NO tax and they'll go out first thing Monday. See what all the buzz is about for yourself. http://www.Kahunakevin.com for ordering details, remember, do NOT add US shipping if you order prior to March 1st.

And watch my new creations for Volume 2 pop up in realtime on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/KahunaKevinsRumCocktails

Mahalo!
-KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-26 15:41 ]

8 more books left then time to reprint. You can do it Tiki Central! Should I extend the free US shipping into March???

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-05 17:58 ]

On 2011-03-05 17:58, Kahuna Kevin wrote:
8 more books left then time to reprint. You can do it Tiki Central!

Should I extend the free US shipping into March???

For those that sent orders, YES I'm honoring FREE US SHIPPING for all TIki Centralites! Just make sure to mention Tiki Central with your $24.99 direct PayPal.com payment and be certain your address is current Thank you all for your continued support. -Kevin

Aloha Kahula Kevin! Just ordered my book now - can't wait to try these puppies out!

Pages: 1 2 58 replies