Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Beachbumz Ceramic Tiki Creations From Maui (aka Tikipop)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies

Just thought I post some pictures of some of the things I've made since I started getting my hands wet in the clay..
Much Mahalo's to all the people here on TC that have shared there experience on this forum and helped me do what I do..

My very first tiki mug design I called "LoLo"

Candle sculpt

First mold I've ever made..

First few "LoLo's out of mold

First finished mugs..

First Shot Glass

Some pictures of the Bowls I've made recently....

And a few Tiki Troff's

Check Out Da Website...www.beachbumz.com

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2020-02-24 23:21 ]

Those triangular Marquesan bowls are bad-ass!!! I want one!! Are you selling these?

BeachBumz you have been BUSY!!!

So much cool stuff! Nice sculpts, successful mold, great post-molding textures, and some BEAUTIFUL glazes. I love the blue/green glazes on the trianle bowl and the tiki trolls. Nice looking lava texture on the troll bowl too - what is the intended purpose for the oblong tiki troll bowl. Looks like it would make a nice business card holder :lol:

S

Nice work BeachBumz. Love a lot of the glazes you have used on most of them.

C

WOW! WOW! WOW! on those bowls!!!!!

Nice glaze work!!! and lover the rough/lava look to the trough, too. They look great!

& I love my shot glass that picked-up in Maui last month, too - very nice :D

Fabulous work BeachBumz !

Aloha from LoLo

Mahalo's Trader Tom, I'd love to make more of these bowls and If I do I'll let you know.. Since these were my first each one has probably about 10 hours of work over a few day period... I hope to be able to make more but hopefully a little quicker. :wink:

MadDogMike, Mahalo's too braddah, I just wanted to make something a little different and I really wanted to use a lava rock as a bowl, the form for the mold I used was oblong and it just came out this way. To me it looked like a cow "trough", so was born the "Tiki Troff".. Hummm, I think a mai tai is in order in the troff tonight..

Mahalo swizzle, I really have been lucky and thanks to Rob for doing all those great tiki pendants that have been great for glaze testing...:wink:

Caroline that was the look I was going after, lava rock, It came out better than expected.. It was great meeting you at the shop too, I;m glad your enjoying the shot, Thankx

Rene, I'm glad you got my first mug I've ever made, Hopefully someday I can come to Switzerland a visit LoLo.. :wink:

Aloha

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-12-22 00:10 ]

Rene, I'm glad you got my first mug I've ever made, Hopefully someday I can come to Switzerland a visit LoLo.. :wink:

Scott,
you are welcome anytime.

[ Edited by: HelveTiki 2010-12-22 05:18 ]

I am absolutely Gobsmacked by these cool mugs!
~Zero

Great sculpting!

Beauties!

ST

Those triangle bowls are AWESOME!! I want one too! :)

Awesome Tiki Troughs!

M

Really very nice designs beachbumz.

M

Come on Beachbumz, let's see that new design!

Mahalo's Ken, mymotiki!

Ok MauiTiki...
Been working on this one actually for a few months on and off but finally got around to finishing him and pouring a mold.

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2011-01-26 02:27 ]

Without further ado.... Tongo
He started as a lump of clay..

then after a few to many hours and a couple beers...

Here he is completed just waiting for some color..
TONGO with his warrior friend..

BACKSIDE

Tongo is lookin' good!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2011 11:32 AM

Nice sculpt.

T

Nice. I especially like the one on the right with it's wood grain and whatnot.

Very cool, love the detail....

M

They look so smooth, you'll have to show me your mold making technique. I'm looking forward to seeing them glazed this weekend!

Mahalo's Trader Tom, GROG, TikiKIrby, tedtiki - I love the wood grain look too..

MauiTiki,Every other mold I've made up until this one I've used hand soap to coat the sculpt with. I kept getting plenty of air bubbles and in return way to much clean up on the pieces.. I did not use anything on the sculpt this time since I read the clay I used was oil based and was not needed. It came out so much cleaner, not perfect but mo betta for sure...
Learning as we go, huh??
Crossing finger's on Tongo, well see tonight, ya?

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2011-01-31 23:36 ]

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2011 7:56 PM

Nice sculpt man! Good luck with the molds.

B

Thanks Babalu, I'm learning something new each time thanks to good friends and some xlnt How-To's here on TC!
Here my first four Tongo's I've made, thanks to Rob for doing all the glaze tests they came out pretty good for the first one's. I ended up brushing 1/2 and airbrushing 1/2 on some of the glazes since I couldn't get the airbrush to flow right so there a little different than I wanted but I like em...

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2011 2:14 PM

Looking good. GROG like.

Mahalo GROG!
The boys and I were having a little fun with the new Tongo's tonight..

Small Kine Hawaiian Style Campfire!

M

They came out GREAT for your first 4! lets get some more slip and get some more going this weekend. I really like the dark one. My plan is to get the brown glaze on thicker, I think it would help your as well.

What's next? TONGA Shots?

Got five more ready to go, tried a couple different carving methods on them and I think there going to come out great. Need to order some more glaze though, really wish Maui had a store that had ceramic supplies..
You mean Tongo Shots? hummm I still need to make a few more Pau Hana shots..:wink:

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2011-02-16 23:26 ]

I think they turned out really well.

As far as glazes, I like the dark glaze with green showing through the best. However, my favorite sculpt is the one with the really deep vertical wood grain/cracks along it.

Nice job !!!

Mahalo Trader Tom ~ Rob liked that tiki as well and it just so happened it was his B-day around the time I got them out of the kiln.. :wink:

Just got the five out of the kiln and should be glaze firing as soon as I get my glazes..

I am in awe of the incredible details you sculpt into these mugs! I especially love the elongated tiki bowl/trough! Your glazes are also eye-popping! Where can I buy one of your expert creations?! I must have one! :)

Mahalo's DejaVoodoo! Your positive comments are one of the reasons I like to do this.. I'm learning lot's as I go, hopefully someday I'll have it all down better.. Glazing is the best because you never really now what it's going to look like on each piece..
I pm'd you too..
Aloha

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2011-02-19 00:11 ]

I want one of your bowls and a Maui Tiki bowl, don't forget us, Wendy

E
ebtiki posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 9:52 AM

Me, too!

I'm gonna get right on it... :wink:
I'm in the process of making a new mold as the old one just had way to much clean up time after pulling it out.. I'll keep you two posted when I have them ready.. I wish I had a 30 hour day sometimes... :)

L

Very very nice! Put me down as well!

Mahalo's Loki-Tiki! I'll let you know.

So I was able to get five more finished and fired this week.. I went out and bought new HPLV spray gun to apply the glazes and it worked really well.. So much quicker and easier to use...

Here's the four Tongo's I was able to finish...

I just had to use the green inside that one.. :wink:

I made a Tiki Troff in this blue and really liked the color so I tried it on Tongo, also made a neon marquesan design that was originally made for a bowl that didn't work out.

OK... Back to work... aloha

M

Your mugs came out really nice...Watch out Munktiki, Scott has got it down!

Got your note on MauiTiki's thread, I like to see your threads next to each other so I can look with ease at your works, Wendy

These are swell!

I'm sure Paul and Miles aren't loosing any sleep Rob.. :wink: Remember that mold of there's we saw at the Freaky Boutiki??.. WOW.. maybe someday we can get them down ly dat..

Wendy, I guess we kinda do post often about the same time since were using the same kiln..
Rob usually gets mad when I post first though.. :lol: :lol:

Hank, mahalo's brada.. Love the shop, stopped by when Rob and I were there for Oasis last year, hope to come out again soon.. Oasis 11... hummmm.

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2011-03-12 23:29 ]

L
Lente posted on Sun, Mar 13, 2011 7:00 AM

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but your Tiki Troff piece is awesome. It's cool to see something new and original, and it also looks quite primitive and foreign. Well done.

Cool mugs man. I like how you interpreted the Tongan version of a Hawaiian tiki. It looks like a souvenir from a wood carver and it holds your favorite drink. Too cool.

I must have one and a green shot glass as well.

Mahalo Lente, I was going for something different, It holds my first mai tai just perfect but after two I switch to a regular mug..:wink:

AlienTiki, Brada, you got it! I've been working in this outdoor market here on Maui for 22 years and 13 of them was next to this very cool Tongan tiki carver that carved tiki's similar to Tongo.. I think a lot of his style rubbed off on me over the years.. I have a Tongo up on Ebay now in case your interested and also 100% of profits are going to Japan tsunami relief as well.. Checkout the link in the market place section..
Aloha

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2011-03-21 19:38 ]

Cool details and finish on the Tonga mugs (on top of the great sculpt!).. Also very cool to donate to the relief fund..

On 2011-03-21 20:01, TikiKIrby wrote:
Cool details and finish on the Tonga mugs (on top of the great sculpt!).. Also very cool to donate to the relief fund..

Thanks TikiKIrby, I'm learning every time. I was able to raise $87.00 for the relief fund thanks to an ebay bidder, so I'm happy about that.
Unfortunaly I pulled three mugs out of the kiln this morning and one I made for another TC'r cracked as it was cooling.. Bummer.. Oh well I was on a roll for awhile another going on the wall of cracked mugs..:wink:

These two guys were okay though..
Aloha

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2011-07-16 19:32 ]

M

I don't get it, why would it crack hours after coming out of the kiln?
Is the crack directly along the seam from the mold?
Maybe try pour them a little thicker.
Stop by I have a bucket of slip for you.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 12:56 AM

Don't open the kiln until it's cooled down. GROG let GROG kiln cool until it's warm to the touch, then GROG slightly crack lid and let kiln cool down completely. If GROG fire early enough in the day and let kiln cool down overnight, everything is cooled down completely by the time GROG open it the next day.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 215 replies