Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New carving - almost finished

Pages: 1 7 replies

With my first attempt ending up in the fire I figured I would try again but this time keeping it simple. This is where I am up to and have a few more hours in it followed by the stain.

M

From what I can see in the hazy pic, it looks like an excellent 1st! Step up on the camera mate!

Welcome to TC!

P

Jay,

That's looking really cool, super deep on the mouth, and clean cuts all around. Keep up the good work.

Paul

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I need to get a proper camera as the one I used on the phone just isn't cutting it.

I was wanting to spend New Years Day outside working on it but it is boiling hot so I am hoping tomorrow will cool down bit so I can actually finish it off. Will post better quality pics when it is finished.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 8, 2011 9:17 AM

Great start. I think I ended up burning my first dozen or so. How big is he?

On 2011-01-08 09:17, amate wrote:
Great start. I think I ended up burning my first dozen or so. How big is he?

Thanks very much. He is now finished and I just have to get around to getting a decent camera and upload the finished pics. He is just under 1 metre in height. I tried staining it with a Jarrah stain but because the palm is so light it didn't actually come out very dark (more of a burnt orange colour). I am going to see if I can get a darker stain and see how that turns out.

That looks great. I was wondering how you are able to carve the back of his mouth and sand it too. I have a time going beyond the teeth. Now I will put my foot in my mouth by offering unsolicited advice. As for the darker stain you may want to try a second coat as your color may be exactly what you are looking for. It might just be the wood is just very porous and sucking in the stain. Now I have to go as my village needs their idiot back.

Thanks so much. Compared to some of the pics that you have posted on TC I really have a long way to go!!

When I was measuring out the design I just tried to plan for enough gap between the teath to easily fit my fist into the mouth and sand it down (also leaving space on the sides of teeth to fit the chisel through). I have to admit I did end up with a lot of bruises from the sanding as my wrist kept hitting the teeth.

Thanks for the tip. I will try another coat of stain and will see how it looks after that. I will then finally post pics of it.

Pages: 1 7 replies