Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

OHANA 2011 - Official Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

B

Aloha Folks!!!!

And for those who were hit by Snowpocalypse 2011, I hope you're all safe, dug out, and with electricity!

As you've probably seen from the other threads (Room Crawl, Silent Auction, etc) we're throwing it into high gear around here, and this thread will serve as the general event info thread, Q & A, and tiki-themed haiku repository.

So, along those lines
Today's big announcement is
The website is up

Go ahead, count the syllables. Nailed it! :wink: lol

Anyway, point your computerizing machine to:

www.LuauAtTheLake.com

to see the new landing page.

And VERY VERY soon, it will be completely live, with links & tickets and all the weirdness you've come to expect (and hopefully embrace!)

And you haven't signed up for the mailing list, go ahead & do so to get in on the announcements first.

Mahalo, and we'll see ya at the Lake!!

C

Here's a clickable link for ya to check it out & sign-up for updates:

http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

You can keep track of event happenings on Facebook, too - just "LIKE" the Ohana Luau at the Lake page at:

http://www.facebook.com/OhanaLuau

SEE YA AT THE LAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where was your Haiku?
Your post did not contain one
Bargoyle is let down.

:D

And no, I have no idea why I'm on this haiku kick, but I'll stop now, I promise. I think its a mix of exhaust fumes from the snow blower and the pain pills/muscle relaxers I had to take after finishing the big snow dig out...

And boy are those suckers starting to kick innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Swee ta aft duh layk!

C

Haiku, schmaiku

Not everyone has the benefit of painkillers :wink:

Fly to Hawaii this year
Or off to Lake George
I'm sure she says Hawaii

Make a Mai Tai and pick up a Ukulele!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2011-01-14 11:10 ]

I'm psyched to report that my "OHANA" theme song is up at iTunes as well!

Lake of summer joy,
Rum falls like boozy showers,
Awesomeness will reign.

On 2011-01-14 12:50, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I'm psyched to report that my "OHANA" theme song is up at iTunes as well!

Woo! Nice!

B

Atta boy Granite!!!

Congrats!!

On 2011-01-14 13:45, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Thanks!!!

I forgot this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/carl-the-granite-tiki-ayotte/id414057507

Love that song. Just bought it on iTunes. Any chance iTunes will offer Moai as well?

A VERY good chance!

Thanks so much!

T

Is it June yet???

Is it June yet?

How 'bout now?

Now?

Now?

This is worse than sitting by the fireplace waiting for Christmas morning.

My hubby and I attended in 2009 but couldn't travel in the Summer last year.
We're definitely attending this year and want to host a room crawl room.

I just have a few hotel questions:
Do you happen to know what the room rate is for a King in the main building?
Do we have to pay up front, or can we just reserve the room on a credit card?

On 2011-01-29 07:24, Mrs_Somnambulist wrote:
My hubby and I attended in 2009 but couldn't travel in the Summer last year.
We're definitely attending this year and want to host a room crawl room.

I just have a few hotel questions:
Do you happen to know what the room rate is for a King in the main building?
Do we have to pay up front, or can we just reserve the room on a credit card?

Rooms in the main building with a king size bed are also jacuzzi rooms and start at $149/night for double occupancy. Those are popular so I don't know if any are still available. Rooms with queen beds start at $135/night.

The Ohana room block has a minimum two night stay and you will need to pay a deposit of the first night's stay (+tax) when you reserve.

If you are interested in hosting in the room crawl please read this thread and then contact me!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38847

Thanks!

Hooboy! I thought I'd posted the hotel info on here. Whoops! Sorry folks.

Ok, so here's the scoop (and yes, you CAN book a room right now!!)

We'll be having another kickoff party on Thursday night, so come out a day early if you can. It then gives you Friday daytime to see Lake George a little bit, and soak in all its kitschy goodness.

Anyway, back to hotel info:

The Howard Johnson Tiki Resort has happily blocked ALL 110 rooms for us for the nights of Thursday, June 23rd, Friday, June 24th, Saturday, June 25th, and Sunday, June 26th, 2011. The rates for the rooms are as follows:

2 double beds pool side------------- $129 per night
2 queen beds------------------------- $135 per night
1 queen bed & sofa------------------ $139 per night
1 king bed & Jacuzzi--------------- $149 per night
1 king bed & Jacuzzi & patio------ $155 per night
2 queen beds & Jacuzzi & patio--- $155 per night

This rate is for 2 people per room and children under the age of 17 stay for free in the same room with parent. Our tax rate to be applied to all rooms is 7% sales tax and 4% occupancy tax. All additional guests per room are $11.10 per person per night.

There is a cut off date of June 18th, 2011. Rooms that have not been reserved will be released to inventory and any reservations made after this date will be subject to rack rate. Check in time is 4:00 pm or after and check out time is around 11:00 am. All rooms are non-smoking.

You must call the hotel directly at 518-668-5744 to make a reservation and must ask for the Ohana Room Block.

They also require an advance deposit of the first nights stay plus tax when the reservation is made.

All guests must be 21 years of age or with their parent or legal guardian. There is a 30 day cancellation policy on all reservations. There is also a 2 night minimum on the stay.

Once again, CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY AT 518-668-5744 to reserve. And as its off season, your best bet to get them is between 9am and 5pm, weekdays, Eastern Standard Time.

Tickets for the event itself should be on sale in a week or so, and we'll have all the details on the Thursday night kick off party then.

So, go book now, and we'll see ya at the Lake!

C
croe67 posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2011 2:21 PM

As promised earlier in the week, you can NOW buy your Ohana tickets HERE:

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/Ohana/tickets.php

YAY!!!!!!!!

You can get your Ohana main event tickets that includes ALL of the activities, events, performances, and contests during the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). It also covers your luau dinner on Saturday night (That's right, we're going to feed you too!) & the fabulous Polynesian dinner show!!!!!!!

You can also pick-up your tickets to the Thursday evening kick-off 50's bowling extravaganza which promises to be as crazy & wacky as you've come to expect from Ohana :D :wink:

& if you haven't checked out the Ohana website lately, check it out, as we're continuing to add more info & FUN!!!!

GOHANA!!!!!!!!
See ya at The Lake!

C
croe67 posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2011 2:32 PM

And a little inspiration from Bargoyle, who is momentarily computer-challenged, so I'm posting this on his behalf for your entertainment :wink:

Hey Kids,

Sorry for the delay (we had some tech issues) but as promised, tickets are on sale NOW for Ohana!!! (It’s still the weekend, right?)

Just goto http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com and click on the BUY TICKETS link.

And be sure to join us Thursday Night if you can for the kickoff party! Not only is it gonna be more fun than a barrel of tikis, but it also means you’ll then be in town all day Friday, and can go see some of wonderful wacky Lake George before we kick things off at Ohana Friday evening!

What, exactly, is going on for the kickoff party on Thursday night? I’m glad you asked (it’s like you’re reading my mind, man!!!)

This year, we're going even further in the WABAC machine, to a 50s themed night of bowling, bobbie socks, & booze! We'll have a dj spinning your favorite tunes from the greaser era (along with some rockabilly) and a special surprise LIVE performance in the lounge, not to mention classic cocktails, contests, and all the wild wackiness you've come to expect from us.

$15 gets you in; All you can bowl (shoe rental included), and even if you suck at bowling like me, we've got some fun contests that will level the playing field. Don't want to bowl? Kick back at the bar, dance on the stage, hit the arcade, or just watch the shenanigans (and take pics!). So grab your pomade & poodle skirts, and join us for a rocking good time, daddy-o.

7:30pm Thursday, June 23rd, 2011. Be there, or be square, ya dig?

(oh, and ps. The bar in Paradise Lounge at the Tiki will be open for happy hour from 5:00pm to 7:30pm, for those who need pre-bowlarama lubrication)

And as usual, there are only a limited number of tickets for Ohana. We like the event big enough to be crazy, small enough to be intimate, and at $85 all inclusive (and yes, for the umpteenth time, that INCLUDES dinner on Saturday night) it is easily the best value for your entertainment dollar.

June can’t come soon enough! Mahalo, hugs & kisses, and as always, we’ll see you at the Lake!

-Darth Bargoyle, esquire

R

Oh yeah baby! Just signed up.

Z

Awesome!

C

OK everyone - rooms are getting VERY scarce at The Tiki Resort.

Just got off the phone with them & there are only a very few rooms left before The Tiki Resort will be SOLD OUT!

So....if you're the procrastinating type, NOW would be the time to call The Tiki & book your room at 518.668.5744.
Earlier in this thread you can see the room rates, cancelation policy, etc.

And if you do miss getting a room at The Tiki, we are working on lining-up an overflow hotel & we'll post that info as soon as available.

GOHANA!!!!!

See ya at The Lake!!!

& get the scoop at: http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

C

And here's a note from our uncle Bargoyle on the rooms at The Tiki Resort now being SOLD OUT!!!!! & other hotel options :D

First & foremost, ticket sales are going strong!! Huge Mahalos to those who have already purchased!

And to those who haven’t, remember that we cap this thing. We try to keep it at that magic size where its big enough to have teeth and get a little crazy, but small enough that it remains intimate so we all have time to hang out with each other.

So, along those lines, if you haven’t bought your tickets yet, now might be a really good time to do so! We’d hate for you to want to join us, but be unable due to another sell out. ( http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com for tickets)

And speaking of Sold Out, the Tiki Resort is now officially 100% booked with nothing but Ohana attendees (We love having the entire place to ourselves!)

If you didn’t book a room, fear not!!! There are MANY other options in town. (Plus, fear leads to anger, and anger leads to the Dark Side… and there’s already enough of us over here… its getting crowded)

What are those options???

The first is the Holiday Inn Turf, directly across the street from the Tiki. They’ve given us a discounted rate of $169/night, and it’s a really nice place with a GREAT view of the Tiki and the Lake behind it…plus, its the closest you can be without staying at the Tiki. Call them directly at 518-668-5781 and mention OHANA to get in on the room block and discounted rate.

If you don’t mind a short walk, or if you love American history, there’s also the Fort William Henry Hotel & Conference Center right up the road. Its maybe a 5-10 minute walk, on the same side of Canada Street as the Tiki. Their rates range from $150/night for a standard mountain view room to $340/night for two bedroom suites (Party at your place!!!). Call them for more info at 800-234-0267, or visit the website at http://www.fortwilliamhenry.com

Now, if you don’t mind a LONG walk, then there are more places than I could possibly list here, but I’ll give you two that I think have the coolest 60s retro arcitechture and swank neon signs:

Surfside on the Lake. Possibly the greatest old school neon motel sign in all of Lake George (and there’s a lot of them. Take the time to go look!), and a pretty nice place to boot. It’s a pretty long walk to the Tiki, as its on the other side of downtown, but you can walk along the Lake & boardwalk, and see some of the town. Also, the rates there run from around $90 to $180/night. You might save some cash staying there, but you’re going to add some steps. You can get them at 800-342-9795, or check em out online at http://www.surfsideonthelake.com to see all the retro vintage awesomeness.

And speaking of vintage awesomeness, my last suggestions is O’Sullivans (And not just because I share the name, or because of St Patrick’s Day). Its killer neon sign welcomes you to the grooviest googie hotel lobby in all of Lake George. Like the Surfside, it’s a bit of a hike to the Tiki, with comparable rates, but O’Sullivans is also one of a handful of Pet Friendly hotels in town. You can check them out at http://www.osullivansmotel.com or give them a call at 877-317-LAKE.

If you don’t like any of those options, there are dozens more. Its one of my favortie parts of Lake George… All the small, independent, mom & pop motels that are scattered throughout the region. Log cabins, tee-pees, motor lodges, and neon neon neon. It’s a retro wonderland!

So, if you want to search on your own, go ahead and google, or you can use the chamber of commerce’s site that I’ve conveniently linked for you HERE

As always, we’ll see ya at the Lake!

Hi there! I really need to get tickets to Ohana but I can't on the site because it doesn't let me enter a Canadian address. I've already booked the Tiki Resort and it would really suck if the event sold out... any advice? mahalo

C

On 2011-03-21 22:24, corrinnao wrote:
Hi there! I really need to get tickets to Ohana but I can't on the site because it doesn't let me enter a Canadian address. I've already booked the Tiki Resort and it would really suck if the event sold out... any advice? mahalo

DOH!
Our bad.
Apologies to our neighbors from up North in Canada!!!

Our web manager will get moving on this today, and it may take a few days, but we will get it taken care of & advise as soon as it is ready to go.
MAHALO for your patience & more SOON!
:D

Looking forward to seeing you at The Lake!!

T

I too can't get into the site for this event.
Is the site still up?
Been trying for a week now.

C

The site is up just fine - always has been - no outages or problems.

Try clearing your browser cache, as we did move the site location - though it is at the same address.

See ya at The Lake!

On 2011-03-21 22:24, corrinnao wrote:

Hello fellow Tiki Canuk, I didn't have any troubles in ordering tickets?
Hope you get it straightened out okay!!

T

Didn't have any problem getting on the site to get my tickets. Wooohoooooooo, is it June yet?

Tickets!

Room!

Now to book airfare.

Is it June yet?

B

Hey TikiSkip,

As far as I know, there are no issues with the website, so I'm not sure why you're unable to access it. As suggested above, perhaps clearing your browser's cache will help? Or sometimes just hitting that "Refresh" button is enough. Also, I capitalize it to make it easier to read, but the caps arent needed. just http://www.luauatthelake.com will get you there.

Hopefully, that clears it up.

And speaking of clearing things up (segue!!!) I want to clear up the Kick Off party on Thursday night for those who have asked:

Yes, we have rented the ENTIRE bowling alley. So all the lanes will be open, just for us, with music, live performances, drinks, prizes, all the bowling you can handle, and all sorts of other shenanigans.

No, you don't HAVE to wear a 50s costume to the Rock 'N Bowl, although I think most of us will be (and don't worry too much about footwear, as we'll be providing bowling shoes to everyone).

Yes, there is a full bar, and yes the drinks cost money, although we're working with them to get some drink specials, and special drinks on the menu for the night.

We'll open the doors to the Bowling Alley (its diagonally across the street from the Tiki. VERY walkable. Less than 100 yards) at 7:30, but the Paradise Lounge at the Tiki will be open for Happy Hour from at least 5:00pm (maybe earlier?) until its time to get your bowl on!

And, as I've stated, coming in on Thursday gives you a chance to check into Ohana early and go and see Lake George Friday morning/afternoon! Its time that is WELL worth it as it truly is a town like no other; one part beautiful pristine lake & unspoiled wilderness, and one part tacky tourist trap perpetually stuck in the 50s/60s

Response has been great for the kick-off, and its very close to selling out. If you want to add the kick-off party to your Ohana Pass, you can buy them separately at the website under the BUY TICKETS tab: http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

Again, huge Mahalos for all the support, and we'll see ya at the Lake!

C

Just a quick update for an Canadians who were previously unable to enter their Canadian billing address to purchase tickets, I am happy to say that the payment page is now fixed & ready to go for those hailing from a number of International destinations - including Canada :D

Get your tickets at: http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

See ya at The Lake!!!!!!!!

I AM SO READY! Hukilau last year, Luau on the Lake this year. I need my tiki fix!!!

B

A little bird told me that a room opened up at the Tiki Resort, so call them NOW if you'd like to stay in the heart of the action!

Mahalo!

And we'll see ya at the Lake!

RR

just called the motel, maybe I was too late
let me know if another room opens
went the first year, really enjoyed it

C
croe67 posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 9:53 AM

Yeah - those Room at The Tiki Resort go FAST when they happen to open-up!!

We still hope to see you at Ohana, Rum Runner - there are plenty of options for overflow hotels - you can get all of the info at http://www.LuauatTheLake.com & click on "The Event" for the scoop on the other hotel options.

& we'll let ya know if any more open-up between now & then :D

See ya at The Lake!!

Yippeeee!!

Event Tickets - Check

Airline Tickets - Check

Rent-a-Car - Check

Only two things left....

Packing and waiting very impatiently for June.

H

On 2011-04-07 10:51, Chip and Andy wrote:
Yippeeee!!

Event Tickets - Check

Airline Tickets - Check

Rent-a-Car - Check

Only two things left....

Packing and waiting very impatiently for June.

And Pretty Stuff, too, right? Please say you're bringing Pretty Stuff? :D

B

Hey folks!

Sorry for the crappy cel-phone pics, but I just couldn't wait to share.

The Ohana 2011 mugs have been delivered, and our old pal Squid has done another amazing job!!!

I promise to get some better shots for when he goes on sale in a week or two. As usual, the mug is for pickup only at Ohana, and if any are left over, we'll sell them after the event.

More info to come soon!

See ya at the Lake!

Those pics look pretty damn good to me as-is!

Another home run by Squid for sure.

Great looking mug, we might have to do a trade.....Ohana for Caliente

Good. Luck with the show, I hope to make it out thier one of these days.....

W

On 2011-04-13 22:25, Wildsville man wrote:
Great looking mug, we might have to do a trade.....Ohana for Caliente

Good. Luck with the show, I hope to make it out thier one of these days.....

W

Pretty sure I can make that trade happen!

P

Digging the mug.

Looking forward to gathering my wits about me and hitting NY in June.

I'd like to play a few other places on the way there or shortly afterward.

Anybody got any suggestions for this tiki troubadour?

*On 2011-04-21 15:41, pablus wrote:*hitting NY in June

sweeeet!!! :D

And looking forward to seeing you again!

T

On 2011-04-13 20:01, Bargoyle wrote:
Hey folks!

any are left over, we'll sell them after the event.

Please people don't buy them. Very cool

If you want my advice teaKEY... start heading East for Ohana.

all i can say is... I'm glad i went to ohana last year !! because with gas prices the way they are, there's no way i'm going any where near ohana this year !!

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies