Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

OHANA 2011 - Official Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

Ohana was amazing, but the real question - what is the recipe for the painkiller they made on the room crawl? OMG I am dreaming of it still! Does anyone have the info?

B

Apologies about the TV's glassware.

We were under-shipped a couple of cartons, so that kind of became a first-come, first-serve thing. If its any consolation, I missed out on them too!

Can't express how grateful I am to everyone, and especially to the weather gods for re-directing the storms on Saturday. We literally had storm cells to the East & West, while the Tiki Resort remained dry and sunny... the power of Aloha? I think it was!!!

Mahalo everyone!! Get those pictures up!! I actually got to see & enjoy a LOT of the event this year (Thanks to all our great volunteers!) but I still missed a ton, so I need to live vicariously through your photos! more more more!!! :wink:

H

Amazing job by everyone who worked to make Ohana such a fantastic event! Big mahalos to you all! Such a good time was had by all, and next year seems soooo far away!

Here are some of our photos - http://www.whitespring.com/ohana2011/content/index.html

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2011-07-01 06:07 ]

who knew that purple drank could be tiki?

thanks again to bargoyle and the crowds of people who made this happen.

i think it is a testament to this event that the owners of the Tiki make it MORE tiki every year!

K

Purple drank is healthy and full of antioxidants.

I'm gonna sleep for a week.

T

Savage Patty and I had such a great time! I hope the F.O.M. test labs get that time travel thingy down so I can just jump from one Ohana to the next.

Thanks Bargoyle and all the other peeps for making this event so special.

X
xtine posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 6:58 PM

Miss Pahupahu has a good question - did dcman do anything different in his painkiller recipe from what was in the first Ohana magazine?

P

EPIC!

Mooers is completely insane. Fantasy Island and the Mod Squad were right on.

The room crawls were perfect. Professor Hummingflower may be approaching "legend" status in his mixology.

The Navy Grog and Meihana were awesome. One dollar Pabsts - Oh yeah...

Hinano Paul, Granite Tiki and I are going to start a new band and move into a house made of beer cans.

Lake Surfer and Rain - Mahalo for the amazing artwork. You guys are great artists.

The bowling was brilliant. I've never seen so many happy people in the same place at the same time.

9th Wave - fabulous - even better acoustic by the pool with the gogo dancers making the scene.

Waitiki was so right on - the Mayor was on FIRE - the whole band - perfection.

Jet Sterling - a dapper silken voice tying it all together.

Velveteen Lounge saved everyone's night and day with the grilled spam sandwiches. EPIC!

Great artwork everywhere.

I dropped Bargoyle into the dunk tank on the 5th throw - Hinano Paul got him on the next throw.
EPIC!

But for me - the highlight of the weekend was Bamboo Saxotica and Miss Suzanne doing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" to a packed house. There were a few moments in that tune I felt like a 10 year old in the middle of a 3 ring circus. EPIC!!!

Great to see old friends and make some new ones and so many things I'm thankful for - not the least of which is safe journeys driving up there and back.

Rugby Matt - loved the cigar yesterday in Asheville. Mahalo.

Pablus summed it up perfect... EPIC!

Left out "Go Tsunami" which I loved!!
Picked up their first CD and have discovered it to be perfect ride tunes on the bike!
Nothing like rumbling along listening to "Monster surf hotrod rock", with fresh memories of the Ohana, pool side, at the Tiki!
That was tonight.
I cried when I went back to work,
I needed the Ohana,
Thank you!

On 2011-06-28 18:58, xtine wrote:
Miss Pahupahu has a good question - did dcman do anything different in his painkiller recipe from what was in the first Ohana magazine?

My understanding is that it is the same recipe.

D
dcman posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2011 4:59 AM

Two small changes to the Painkiller recipe -

I changed the proportions slightly, and I liked this version a little better. Overall, I used a ratio of 4-1-1-1. This is slightly different than the original recipe I put in Ohana magazine, with a little less coconut cream overall.

Each gallon container contained -

60 ounces orange juice
15 ounces coconut cream (I used Goya - 15 ounce cans, so no crazy measuring)
15 ounces pineapple juice
15 ounces guava nectar (Goya again)
15 ounces of amber rum
juice of 4 limes

fresh grated nutmeg over the top of each individual drink (can be bought in the spice section or Indian section of most grocery stores - do NOT use pre-grated nutmeg as it will ruin your drink -)

The second change is that I used a blender to mix the coconut cream with some of the juice, after measuring (the coconut cream comes in 15 ounce cans, so all I had to do was drop I can worth into a blender) but before mixing it all together. Because the coconut cream has a tendency to separate, blending it for 10-15 seconds with some juice whips it up and makes it less likely to get get chunky and separate. It also adds a bit of creaminess.

The cups at the room crawl were 9 oz cups, with ice I figure each person got about 4 ounces of Painkiller, with 1/2 ounce of that being rum. If you are making Painkillers at home you can leave the rum out of the mix and then add rum to taste depending on the size of your tiki mug, but I never put more than 1.5-2 ounces in any size of drink at home. I do this for 2 reasons, so the rum doesn't overwhelm the drink and so my guests don't get too drunk. People drink these very fast at parties and it isn't uncommon for people to have 3-4 over the course of a night (sometimes in addition to other drinks) at my parties. If my tiki mugs each have 2 ounces of rum, they've had a lot within a few hours and won't be up for driving (or walking).

My overall recipe was a happy mistake when instead of doing 4 parts pineapple juice to 1 part OJ (as in most recipe books, including Beachbum Berry's), I screwed up and used 4 parts OJ to 1 part pineapple juice. I like mine better.

dcman

[ Edited by: dcman 2011-06-29 05:32 ]

B

Thanks dcman!!

I forsee a LOT of painkillers being made by Ohana attendees in the near future.

They even started serving them in the bar on Saturday!!!

D
dcman posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2011 6:30 AM

The bar shook me down for the recipe Saturday afternoon - then, they kept cosmogirl and me in free Painkillers all night. Damn fine folks if you ask me.

dcman

we all agreed that those painkillers (tm) are way better than those served at the bar/restaurant that holds the (tm) on the drink.

P

How could I have left out Go Tsunami?

$1 Pabst - that's how.

They were fantastic, hard rocking and perfect for the sunny part of the afternoon.

I also got a great CD from the Kokoru chapter ( I think ) of the FOM. It's a Christmas CD that has something like 22 songs on it and it's a great listen. Even a cover of "Marooned on the Mainland" on it that the Mugs all loved.

And finally - the FOOD. That pig was incredible. All hail the chef.

Thanks to Pablus who brings aloha with him wherever he plays. You are the best!

T

On 2011-06-27 18:04, Hinano_Paul wrote:

On 2011-06-27 15:13, Turbogod wrote:
Whew...just got home. What a blast. Nice group of people. Great bands. Loved seeing Pablus. Next year, you should try to get the Fisherman.

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2011-06-27 15:28 ]

You didn't love seeing me? I see how it is "Bronie"

How could I forget you, HP? It's always Bronies before Honies, but I just saw you a year ago though. :P

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2011-06-30 08:27 ]

C

Some FUN views from the weekend for your viewing pleasure....

Great shots Caroline! A big thanks to you, Bargoyle and everyone who organized and attended the event. I echo what all have said here - what a great weekend!

Sully,

This was my second Ohana. I loved them both for different reasons. At the first one, the newness of it all made it exciting because I did not know what would happen next, and everything that did happen was even better than the last thing. At the second one, it was like coming to a high school or college reunion and seeing the old gang again. Although I just met these great people a year ago and only for three days, it was like being with friends I have known for a lifetime. Making new friends was special, too. It was a truly magical weekend.

I'm having some serious tiki withdrawal now. Can't wait for my third.

Mahalo.

Hey Everybody!

Just joined the forum and wanted to say a special hey! to everyone at Ohana 2011.. in case no one checks the Introductions forum for new members anymore! haha

Our first Tiki convention was Tiki Oasis 2010 in San Diego, which was a total blast and a true spectacular. However I didn't feel the human interaction of the culture until my partner and I attended Ohana: Luau at the Lake 2011 last weekend. The people were perfectly friendly and fun, and the event was intimate, special and inspiring. I'll hop on the bandwagon by saying I'm already looking forward to next year's!

I won't waste space here explaining my torrid love affair with Tiki -- I already did that in Introductions if you're really interested -- but I will say that after six years of enlightenment from discovering Sven Kirstin's Book of Tiki in 2005, plus the years of Tiki Magazine following that, it's about time I started participating in the very active Tiki culture happening in real life.. right now!

I'm fascinated by the surviving Tiki Temples from the original movement like the Tiki Resort in Lake George, and I want to contribute to their preservation as well as support the proliferation of new temples of the Tiki Revival Movement happening right now. And I want to meet the people who feel the same way I do.

And if there happen to be a bunch of cocktails mixed along the way, that's fine too.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for a great time at Ohana 2011. And thanks for making me realize I'm not completely insane. (Well at least not because of TIKI..)

-DJ (Voodoo Devil)

B

Boom Boom Room & Voodoo Devil,

I can't tell you how much it warms me to hear your stories. There's a reason why the event is called "Ohana", and I'm floored at the way everyone has grasped that, and gone with it. It really is due to the fantastic crowd that we have such a warm, welcoming, intimate event.

We drink, laugh, sing, dance, relax, and break bread, all together, all weekend, all as equals, all as family.

It really is something unique and special, and its all about the attitude.... the ALOHA Spirit that everyone brings.

I see nothing but smiling faces year after year (and yes, even in the rain Friday night!), and thats all you folks!

I can set up the greatest bands, food, and distractions in the world, but without all of you bringing that positive fun Ohana vibe, it would be nothing. Mahalo, for making it so special.

Thanks for coming, thanks for sharing, and we'll see ya next year, at the Lake!

H

Welcome, Boom Boom Room and Voodoo Devil! Glad you both had such a blast at Ohana - it's pretty special, isn't it? Bargoyle and his cadre of be-fezzed superheroes really knock it out of the park every year. And the attendees are always a lot of fun!

Voodoo Devil, I see you're in the New England area. Keep an eye out on the boards for other events, if you're interested, like the NETT (Northeast Tiki Tour) and other local meet-and-greets. They're way smaller than Ohana, of course, but a good way to really get to hang with other tikiphiles.

[ Edited by: Hibiscus 2011-07-01 06:23 ]

On 2011-07-01 06:22, Hibiscus wrote:
...Voodoo Devil, I see you're in the New England area. Keep an eye out on the boards for other events, if you're interested, like the NETT (Northeast Tiki Tour) and other local meet-and-greets. They're way smaller than Ohana, of course, but a good way to really get to hang with other tikiphiles.

Borgoyle and Hibiscus, thanks for the nice welcome.. And thanks for the heads-up about local events. Yes, I'm interested in what's going on in New England no matter what the scale of the event. Will keep an eye out!

T

On 2011-07-02 19:48, Voodoo Devil wrote:

On 2011-07-01 06:22, Hibiscus wrote:
...Voodoo Devil, I see you're in the New England area. Keep an eye out on the boards for other events, if you're interested, like the NETT (Northeast Tiki Tour) and other local meet-and-greets. They're way smaller than Ohana, of course, but a good way to really get to hang with other tikiphiles.

Borgoyle and Hibiscus, thanks for the nice welcome.. And thanks for the heads-up about local events. Yes, I'm interested in what's going on in New England no matter what the scale of the event. Will keep an eye out!

We should resurrect the old New England Events post... Maybe if we ask nicely someone will have a party?

Ooo ooo ME!

I'm having a party on July 30th!!!

More info to come, save the date!

H

And I'm having one closer to Halloween! Details to come!

B

I had to split today's email blast in half to go in the right place... 2011 vs 2012. I think I'm doing this right. if not, I'm sure you'll let me know...

From today's email:

We pretty much ran out of all the 2011 merchandise, but we’re going to do another run of the awesome Ohana T-Shirts designed by Jon Mooers. We should also have some Ohana magazines for sale as well, for those of you who lost or destroyed yours… or if you weren’t there and want to see what all the fuss is about. Some great articles this year, including a color centerfold about the art of the Tiki Resort!

All of that should be on the website next week. I’ll send you a reminder when its ready.

Also on the horizon is our Ohana post-mortem questionnaire. Expect that in the next week or so as well. We’re looking for feedback, positive and negative, to help shape the event and make it better every year. We’ve already addressed some minor issues we noticed during the weekend, but we also want to hear from you! Keep an eye out for more info, and help us make Ohana even better for next year!

And along the lines of making things better: The staff at the Tiki Resort is looking for ideas on how to make the Resort even MORE tiki/Polynesian! We’re compiling a list right now of suggestions, but if you have any, email them to me at [email protected] and we’ll include them. New ideas, old photos of how the place used to look, photos of places they can “borrow” ideas from… all input is welcome. The fine folks at the Tiki have realized what a treasure they have in the place, and are looking to not only restore it to its former glory, but surpass it if possible!!! So, lets help make the Tiki even more awesome, and get those ideas in to me!

And lastly, lets see those photos from this year!! We’re currently sharing them Here (on TC), on facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/OhanaLuau ) and over on the F.O.M. site ( http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12401 ) Come and peruse, tag, comment, and add your own!! I’m loving the pics so far! More more more!!!

Mahalo! And we’ll see ya at the Lake!

Bargoyle

PS. Just one more thing to keep on your radar:

I had the immense pleasure of listening to the rough mixes of the new Crazed Mugs album, and Holy Lono!! are the tracks on this cd smoking!!! Its not out yet, but they’re gunning for a mid-August release, and for real, this album belongs in everyone’s music library. They’re not paying me to plug it, Pablus didn’t ask me “as a favor” or anything like that. I simply heard it, and was so blown away that I needed to share my excitement with all of you ‘cause I know you’ll be floored as well! Watch the Crazed Mugs website ( http://www.crazedmugs.com ) for more info, and for real, buy this thing as soon as it comes out. You’ve got a new favorite album, and you don’t even know it yet!

As usual, if you haven't signed up for these insane ramblings delivered directly to your inbox, you can do so by visiting the web page at: http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

Thanks!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2011-07-06 11:53 ]

T

I also got to hear some stuff from the the new CD and it is freaking amazing stuff. Not saying it because Pablus gave me a banana while I was listening to it. It's sounds awesome and I cannot wait to get a copy of it.

B

I got an apple... and a car ride.

At first I was kinda scared. "Hey you! Get in the car! I've got an apple for you......"

lol

But then again, I fall for the Free Candy van all the time too.

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jul 7, 2011 9:42 AM

Yeah, about the fruit.

Whenever I travel by land boat I always get a bag of apples and a couple bunches of bananas and whatever else.
Good clean energy without the drowsies hitting me in the car.

Once I was driving to work at PTL in North Carolina from Fla. Yes, for real.
I stopped about 6 times for the "Blizzards," which had just been invented.

I had to pull over to sleep often from the sugar let down.

Let that be a lesson to you whippersnappers out there.

Mahalo for the "reviews" doods. It's very close now and sounds even better and more polished.
Even without fruit to listen by.

B

I think you've got a good marketing scheme there.

Every CD comes with a piece of fruit.

Enhance your listening pleasure with the fruits of the Crazed Mugs!

Actually, the apple was much appreciated. I often dont eat over Ohana, and when I do its greasy A&W. So something healthy to quiet the rumble of my belly was just what I needed.

Pretty damn good apple too!

B

Oh also...

Today's email blast of random babble from the voices inside my head:

Alooooooooooooooooooooooha!!!!!!

I’m back!! And I’ve got more news you can use from the Lake!!

First of all, 2011 Merch is up for sale!! Now, there’s not much of it. We sold out of pretty much EVERYTHING on site (thanks everyone! That helps make the charity donation even bigger!) but a lot of folks complained that the T-Shirts went too fast, so we’re going to place another order.

So, if you’d like one of this year’s KILLER shirts (lovingly designed by JPM Art Dog), point your intarweb machine to: http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/Ohana/ohana_shirt.php

Or just go to http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com and click on the “BUY MERCHANDISE” tab at the top.

These are pre-orders, and in about two weeks, we’ll place the order with our shirt guy, so you are guaranteed to get the size you want. But you need to act fast! After two weeks, the merch comes down, and the shirt becomes another piece of Ohana history.

Also, as I mentioned before, the Tiki Resort is looking for input on how to make the hotel MORE tiki!!! So, if you’ve got ideas, send them to me at : [email protected] and we’ll pass them along.

And keep an eye on your inbox next week for the post-Ohana questionaire, where you get to help us make Ohana even better next year!

That’s all I’ve got today (I know... FINALLY a short email!!). Hope everyone is having a great summer, and we’ll see ya at the Lake!

Your Creepy Uncle Bargoyle

http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com
Ohana 2012: June 21-24, 2012. The Tiki Resort is taking reservations now!

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies