Tiki Central / General Tiki

Fire breaks out at Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room WDW

Pages: 1 24 replies

Fire breaks out at Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room

Don't worry, it wasn't bad.

Ironically, check out this thread

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Added WDW. - 2011-08-15 06:23 ]

TS

They only could have been so lucky to have it go up in flames....That is the Gilbert Gotfried updated version of the show...

Deep Thought by Jack Handey:

One day I told my nephew I was going to take him to Disneyland. Instead, I drove him to a burned out warehouse and said "Oh no, Disneyland burned down and Mickey Mouse is dead!"
He cried and cried for hours, but deep down I think he got the joke.

Whew. You had me a bit worried for a minute there. I thought you meant DisneyLAND's Enchanted Tiki Room...

Here's an article that says it might return to the "old management" Lets hope so!

http://www.tiki-talk.com/archives/wdw-tiki-room-update-signs-point-to-old-management-returning/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TikiTalk+%28Tiki+Talk%2C+The+Enchanted+Tiki+Blog%29

Maybe Pele was angered by the new management and took her revenge by torching the building!

O

I was down in So.Cal. a week ago (from Salinas) for the big extended family vacation to Disneyland with a total of 8 people in tow. I was the Nazi tour guide that planned out the 2 day itinerary down to the minute with Ridemax software. The one and only attraction I said I had to see – that everyone was going to have to see damn it – was The Enchanted Tiki Room.

The Tiki Room was the first Disneyland attraction I experienced when I went to the park for the very first time in 1967 as a 5 year old, sweating in that long line with dad who was complaining about the extra 35 cents it cost. And seeing that show back then is the reason I think I became a Tiki zombie. It was like an acid trip for a little kid like me and I’ll never forget it.

When I got my blasé group to the attraction on the Friday of the trip they liked it (yawn – “lets go to Pirates of the Caribbean, uncle”), but I was in ecstasy seeing it again with slightly moist eyes feeling like a 5 year old. A real lump in my throat had I.

As we walked out I had to see for myself if it was true. I went to the fountain and was able to open the cabinet below it to see where there could have been the serving station that was designed to hold regular glass ware for the restaurant the attraction was supposed to have been in the first place. Nothing was inside the cabinet. But for a moment I imagined a complete bar sitting there, all ready for a cool one to be made just for me.

I think next time I’m going to bring a mini of rum for my Pineapple Whip. The ultimate Tiki bar.

This post is too long, I know. But the original place touches such a deep nerve in me and when I saw a youtube video last year of the recent WDW show I was ready to strap on the suicide bomber vest and get my plane ticket to Orlando. Wretched. What they did was like defiling the Dome of the Rock.

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2011-04-26 16:32 ]

J

Hmmm... My parents took my sister and me to Disneyland when I was 5 years old. Since then I was a pretty frequent visitor through my teenage years. All that time, I NEVER stepped foot into the Enchanted Tiki Room. Ya know, I've noticed I lack the deep-rooted sentimentality for Tiki stuff of my born-and-raised So CA Tiki peers (I collect nada). Perhaps that's the reason why.

Now mildew-smelling submarines, that's another story. :)

T

Well, we can only hope the DisneyWorld Tiki Room goes back to its original state.

Good news: The "New Management" got the boot!

From today's Orlando Sentinel ...

An original Magic Kingdom attraction is getting a retrofitting. Coming this summer will be the Enchanted Tiki Room, which will be a "version reminiscent of the original show" called Tropical Serenade, Walt Disney World announced Sunday.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-walt-disney-world-tiki-room-renova20110515,0,1975304.story

First Gilbert Gottfried loses his Aflac duck voice gig and now gets the boot
from the Enchanted Tiki Room as Iago the parrot.

Hip hip...hurray! Hip hip..hurray! Hip hip...Hurray! Just in time for my return trip to FL in November.

G

VERY glad to hear this news. I haven't been to WDW in a little while, so maybe it's time to renew those yearly passes this fall and go see a good Tiki show once again (hopefully).

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2011 5:58 AM

It's really quick, at about 1:11, looks like it's during the Offenbach number. Some of the shots are hysterically funny.

Thanks for the heads up teaKEY.

Bear

Latest news just released ...

Tiki Room Reopening Slated for Aug. 15, 2011

Original Hosts Ready to Squawk up a Storm Again, Giving Guests Even More to Chirp (and ‘Tweet’) About

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Sunshine Pavilion, featuring a show variously known as “Tropical Serenade” and “The Enchanted Tiki Birds,” debuted on Oct. 1, 1971, in Magic Kingdom. In 1998, following substantial refurbishment, it re-launched as The Enchanted Tiki Room-Under New Management, with two famous Disney birds – Iago from Aladdin and Zazu from The Lion King – taking control and trying to spruce up the show.

Now the “new management” has been let go and the future of the Adventureland landmark is in the wings and wit of José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre – four crooning parrot hosts who have been entertaining guests at California’s Disneyland since 1963 in The Enchanted Tiki Room. Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, as the Magic Kingdom attraction now will be called, is being prepared for the premiere (tentatively on Aug. 15, 2011) of a show that will pay tribute to the Disneyland original - notable in theme park history for ushering in sophisticated Audio-Animatronics technology.

Prior to 1963, Walt Disney’s creative team had produced movable figures, but none had the sophistication of the bird-brained cast of the Tiki Room. José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre produce movements when solenoid coils hidden inside receive signals recorded onto magnetic tape and are regarded as the first “true” Audio-Animatronics figures.

They introduce a musical presentation by more than 200 birds, flowers and tikis. Even the audience gets into the act, joining in during the musical ditty “Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing.”

While the show is steeped in tradition and maintains the original intent created by Walt Disney and his original team of Imagineers, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room will feature the latest in technology – a state of the art show-control system, remastered audio, and a new versatile and energy efficient lighting system.

Talk Disney: http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/disney-front-page-news/47487-tiki-room-reopening-slated-aug-15-2011-a.html

That was AWESOME teaKEY!

Unfortunately I don't think the restored tiki room in Florida will have the Enchanted fountain. They ripped out all the water pipelines and infrastructure for that when they put in the new "Gottfried got fried version", and I highly doubt with management's track record in Florida they will be willing to shell out bucks to put it back in. I will be pleasantly surprised if they even attempt to put something close to it in the show, which is shame because it is my favorite part of Enchanted Tiki Room. Well, anything resembling the original show is a step in the right direction. It would awesome if they could restore the smoking volcano island effect in the windows at least.

While the show is steeped in tradition and maintains the original intent created by Walt Disney and his original team of Imagineers, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room will feature the latest in technology – a state of the art show-control system, remastered audio, and a new versatile and energy efficient lighting system.

Oh, thank heaven! I was really worried the new lighting system wouldn't be energy efficient. Now I can sleep at night.

The Disney World blogs have been buzzing with rumors and some have posted photos and video as the construction continues and Monday's launch date quickly approaches.

Orlando Theme Park News posted a video that captures some of the music for the pre-show being tested. Does anyone recognize it?
http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/pre-show-music-testing-at-enchanted.html

The blog also discusses rumors from other Disney fan boards about the fountain. Some are saying that there may be something interesting in the works to replace the fountain, perhaps an erupting volcano.

Jeff Lange also has some good photos and video:

http://jefflangedvd.com/2011/08/walt-disneys-enchanted-tiki-room-to-re-open-august-15th-tropical-serenade-original-clyde-and-claude-pre-show-magic-kingdom-update-photos-and-video/

http://jefflangedvd.com/2011/08/fantasyland-construction-from-contemporary-roof-walt-disney-world-40th-collection-enchanted-tiki-room-pre-opening-epcot-japan-pavilion-new-kabuki-cafe-photos-video/

And I even chimed in on my blog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/07/disney-worlds-enchanted-tiki-room-will-reopen-aug-15-with-vintage-show/

The music is just good old Jack de Mello's Sophisticated Hula then Kaimana Hila.

Best
Markahuna

Orlando Theme Park News posted a video that captures some of the music for the pre-show being tested. Does anyone recognize it?
http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/pre-show-music-testing-at-enchanted.html

Thanks Mark! Duly noted.

A review from Kevin Yee:

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky081511a.htm

I don't particularly care for his writing style, but he does a through job with it.

Well... that sounds pretty good actually. Not everything one might have hoped for, but it's CERTAINLY better than the previous Iago-hosted version of the attraction.

I've compiled all the best video clips and links to blogs with photos and reviews of the updated Tiki Room and posted them on my blog:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/20/back-to-the-future-disney-worlds-updated-enchanted-tiki-room-has-retro-feel/

If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.

The consensus is that despite the shortening of the show and the omissions that went along with that, it's a welcome change over the previous version. And the technical enhancements are, of course, Disney-quality.

Pages: 1 24 replies