Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Barkcloth/Upholstery Sewing Machine

Pages: 1 2 replies

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm starting here.

I have some rattan furniture that I want to make new covers for them. Individual cushions like most pretzel rattan has.

My question is...I'm a complete newbie at this but I'm good with my hands and figure I can suss it out. I'll need a sewing machine for the barkcloth.

Will any machine work, or do I need something a little more heavy duty.

I have dogs, so this won't be the first 14 cushions I do, they wore out the old ones in 3 years.

Thanks for the help and...Tiki on Garth!!!

You may need a more heavy duty sewing needle that will fit into a regular sewing machine. I have sewn barkcloth on my normal garden variety sewing machine w/ a regular needle. But on some fabrics you have to switch to a heavy duty needle. These are available at the sewing/fabric store and are inexpensive. They are usually color coded yellow and red, one being tougher than the other (I forget which is which) and they are usually sold together in the same package. They are universally sized so they fit all machines. If you are in doubt about how to proceed talk to the people in the sewing machine sales area of your local Joanne fabrics and they can tell you which needle to use.

Ditto on what TG said. A quality sewing machine is important if you plan on sewing heavy fabrics in the future. I'm partial to Bernina, still have mine from the 60's and it works like a charm. I've sewn through miles of heavy materials for curtains, cushions, etc. A knowledgeable salesman should be able to recommend a good machine that has a powerful foot feed and easy change out on the needles. You may break some as you work with heavy fabrics, so be sure to buy a package of them. Also, if you bend a needle, never continue sewing with it, you should change out and throw any bent needle away. There are also different kinds of foots that you may need to use depending on if you will be sewing just fabric on fabric or if you have cording or interfacings involved. Be sure to get an open armed machine so you can easily sew intricate turns and twists.

Take your time, plan your project well and embrace your seam-ripper as a friend. Make your dogs a matching stuffed bed for the floor so maybe they won't tear up your cushions...LOL. Have fun and post pictures when you are done.

Welcome to TC. :)

Pages: 1 2 replies