Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2011 Official Thread & Announcement!

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies

Tiki Kiliki Productions presents

The Hukilau 2011

Celebrating 10 years of Mid-Century and Polynesian Pop Culture!

The Official Celebration of the 55th Anniversary of the Mai-Kai!

June 9 – 12, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Event locations include
The Bahia Cabana, Bahia Mar, the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and the Mai-Kai Restaurant

PURCHASE TICKETS NOW!

Aloha Hukilau Villagers, Beachcombers, Tiki Lovers, Cocktail Afficionados, Beatniks, Hipsters, Rockabillies, Lounge Lizards and lovers of everything Mid-Century, we are pleased to announce the 10th annual Hukilau, taking place from June 9th to June 12th, 2011, in beautiful Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

Plan now for your June Polynesian Pop vacation weekender which unites Tikiphiles from around the world! The Mai-Kai, now in its 55th year, awaits you with its dimly lit entrance, its cavernous mazes and magical memories! Be dazzled by four days of exotic and intoxicating art, entertainment, music, historic seminars, fashion and of course, drink!

The Bahia Mar has rooms available starting at the low price of $114.00 per night! This is where most events will take place over the weekend.

The Bahia Cabana has rooms available starting at the low price of $89.00 per night! This is where our incredible Room Crawl will take place on Thursday night and our Master Mixologist Competition!

The Hukilau 2011 featured events:

The Hukilau has the distinct privilege of presenting along with the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale “A View of the South Pacific” Oceanic Collection donated by many contributors incluing the Mai-Kai itself in the early 1970s. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to view this world-class collection for the first time. Special cocktail creation by Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, a special performance by the Mai-Kai dancers, reception featuring Sven Kirsten, Christie “Tiki Kiliki” White, curator Dr. George Ellis, cameo performance by Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid and a tour through this very special collection!

The Hukilau special guests, artists Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily, will be debuting new works of art as part of the on-site Harold Golen Gallery art show installation and be available for a special Meet and Greet over the weekend! The Little Florida Orange Bird told me that Kevin might just delight us with a Symposium!

The master mixologist, Jeff “Beach Bum” Berry, returns with an all-new experience as he presents his Rumposium and the Rum Rat Pack! This never before assembled panel of Rum experts will not only talk about Tiki cocktails but will take you through a literally explosive history of our favorite spirit! Join the Bum, Ian Burrell, Martin Cate, Steve Remsburg and Wayne Curtis for this Hukilau exclusive!

Author Phillip Roberts begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting joins us all the way from Hawaii to share Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs – an inside look at his new book including rare photos, special guest Randy Wong of Waitiki and Waitiki 7 and an incredible finale that will have Tiki historians talking for years to come!

Our friends at Vintage Roadside present “Beautiful Girls that Look Like Fish” The Story of Aquarama, World Famous Mermaid Attraction which will feature photos, stories and vintage home movies of these amazing Aquamaids and Aqualads in action. And hold onto your seats folks – they have even unearthed footage of an actually visit to Weeki Wachee and the Mai-Kai in 1968! See it first at The Hukilau! Special guest: of course, our resident mermaid herself!

The Harold Golen Gallery’s “Fine Art Tiki Show” returns to The Hukilau in 2011 and is thrilled to be a party of the events 10 year anniversary! Participating will be a collection of the finest artists in the Tiki community such as Bosko, Al Evans and Heather Watts just to name a few.

Entertainers include:

• Fort Lauderdale’s own Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid
  • The Tikiyaki Orchestra from Los Angeles
  • The Fisherman from New York
  • The Exotics from Milwaukee
  • The Intoxicators! From Tallahassee and beyond
    • Grinder Nova from Atlanta
  • Our most favorite of royals, King Kukulele emcees the entire weekend – this year joined by Crazy Al Evans!

And providing an incredible soundtrack throughout the weekend:

• DJ Dr. Scopitone
  • DJ’s Lounge Laura Taylor and Drew Farmer
  • DJ’s Jack Fetterman and Gina of the Jungle

Other Hukilau 2010 Special Events:

• The return of the Hukilau Room Crawl – A Tribute to The King!
  • The return of the Harold Golen Fine Art Tiki Show!

The weekend ends with a perfect celebration for The Hukilau Aloha Pass and 2 Day Pass holders only to share a very special day at the Mai-Kai on Sunday 6/12/11. Browse through the Mai-Kai archives, enjoy a Rum tasting and take in a tour of The Hukilau’s last 10 years. Check the schedule online for more information!

Also look for upcoming sculpts and insider info about the 2011 Munktiki / Kevin Kidney Mug. Hukilau glassware designs by Kevin Kidney and Mooke, T-shirts and other keepsakes!

Want to get involved in The 10th Annual Hukilau?

We offer an array of opportunities that will get your company noticed by thousands of Tikiphiles from all over the world:

*Your Products Sold at Vending Space in the Tiki Treasures Bazaar!
*Your Company Named as Special Event Sponsor including Thursday's Kickoff Party at the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale, Friday Night Main Event, Kevin Kidney Meet and Greet, Master Mixologist Competition and The Hukilau Room Crawl!
*Your Ad in the Official Hukilau Event Program!
*Your Logo Featured on The Hukilau Web site!
*Your Logo Featured on Hukilau Promotional Materials!
*Your Company Featured in Hukilau Press and Social Networking!
*Your Message in Email Blasts to 6,000 Highly Targeted Tiki Names!
*Your Web Site Banner on The Hukilau Web site!
*Your Product Giveaways at Hukilau Events!
*Your Promotional Item in 500 Arrival Aloha Packs!
*Your Product Featured in Drink Specials at the Bar!
*Your Product Featured at Sampling and Tasting Events!
*Your Product Showcased at The Hukilau!

Space is limited. Sign up early for best placement. Custom packages available, combining several benefits that best suit your company's needs.

For inquiries re: Hukilau sponsorship, vending and/or advertising, say Aloha to Christi Crowe at 415-566-8628 or email at [email protected]

Be sure to join our discussions and keep updated on The Hukilau by joining our
Facebook Fan Page!

Stay tuned for event updates! Let the countdown begin and Click HERE to purchase tickets to all the weekends events!

A special thanks to Tidbit Design for our amazing website this year!!!

We'll see you in June!!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2011-02-08 18:24 ]

J

Cool, cool, cool, cool!! I canNOT wait, between the Rumposium and whatever Kevin & Jody manage to do I am very eager for June to roll around!

Mahalo, etc.!

We're thrilled to team up with Marina again for our Aquarama symposium! For those of you that came to our presentation at Tiki Oasis we've added a ton of new material as we've now interviewed and received material from 32 of the 37 former Aquarama performers. We're working on tracking down those remaining Aquamaids as well as another surprise or two.

We also can't wait to share the vintage Mai Kai and Weeki Wachee home movie clips too.

See you in June!

Jeff & Kelly
Vintage Roadside

Hey everyone, I'm very excited to say I'll also be helping this year as Vendor Coordinator for the Hukilau! Look forward to meeting all you kool kats and kittens!

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

[ Edited by: Trader Rick 2011-02-17 12:55 ]

Tikiyaki Orchestra returns to Hukilau !

Looking forward to this big time. Hukilau, The Mai Kai, Marina, Ft Lauderdale....can't wait !

Glad to have Tikiyaki back with us for our Anniversary year! What a great 10th year gift to me!

Tiki travelers don't forget to make your hotel and Mai-Kai reservations for The Hukilau's 10-year anniversary celebration!

Aloha,

Author Phillip Roberts joins us all the way from Hawaii to share Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs – an inside look at his new book including rare photos, special guest Randy Wong of Waitiki and Waitiki 7 and an incredible finale that will have Tiki historians talking for years to come!

I have been working very hard on my talk called "A celebration of the Tiki age in Hawaii" and am quite excited to be a part of Hukilau. Yes, the finale will indeed be something really special. Stay tuned for more details...

Tickets bought!
Room booked!
I just need to make reservations for the Mai-Kai...

So excited!!!

We're now looking for contestants for our new cocktail contest, The Hukilau 10th Anniversary Cocktail Challenge. Click here for all the info:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39499&forum=4&start=last&0

Can you create a signature cocktail to honor our 10th anniversary?

Tiki Kinniki and I are so excited to finally attend this huge event. She bought me all the proper hookups for my birthday. I won't be vending this event as we just want to come and enjoy all our time there. Maybe ill check it out and set up to vend and do some live carving next year. If you see us walking around please introduce yourselves. Mahalos, Ray.

We are so looking forward to this year's Hukilau! My wife has been scouring shops and eBay for Tiki-ish outfits. I, of course am all set. There are so many great events and symposiums scheduled it's going to be hard finding time to drink Mai Tais...but we'll find the time...

Rum aficionados embrace the Tiki spirit during the 10-year Anniversary of The Hukilau, June 9-12, 2011 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The rollicking rum ride will include experts bestowing their rum-soaked knowledge during Jeff “Beachbum” Berry’s Rumposium, featuring the Rum Rat Pack. Jeff “Beachbum” Berry is one of Imbibe magazine’s “25 Most Influential Cocktail Personalities of the Past Century” and author of five books featuring Tiki drinks and cuisine. His Rum Symposium, which is an exclusive for The Hukilau, will feature renowned rum luminaries as London’s Ian Burrell, San Francisco’s Martin Cate, Wayne Curtis, author of And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails and Stephen Remsberg, owner of the world’s largest private rum collection. The Bum and the Rat Pack will enlighten Tikiphiles with their wisdom during an explosive look at rum in history, on the high seas and in Tiki drinks. The Rumposium is Saturday, June 11 at 2:30 p.m. at the Mai-Kai Restaurant. Tickets are $35 and the symposium is limited to 200 attendees.

Bartending skills will be put to the test during The Hukilau’s Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge; a mix-off to create a signature version of the Mai-Kai’s beloved Barrel O' Rum and judged by the Rat Pack rum masters on Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 10 p.m. at the Bahia Cabana. Festival admission prices are $25-$135. For more information, visit http://www.thehukilau.com.

[ Edited by: starburst 2011-04-12 07:41 ]

[ Edited by: starburst 2011-04-14 20:06 ]

Don't miss Paul Roe’s “Hawaii – Sailors, Sex and the Birth of Old School Tattoos” symposium on Saturday, June 11 at 11 a.m. at the Bahia Mar during this year's Hukilau! Admission is $12. Get your tickets before they're gone! http://artysavvyscribe.wordpress.com/

Experience mermaid madness during Vintage Roadside's “Beautiful Girls that Live like Fish!: The Story of Aquarama, the World-Famous Mermaid Attraction” symposium Saturday, June 11 at 12:30 p.m. at the Bahia Mar. The event also features Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Admission is $20. Get your tickets before they're gone! http://artysavvyscribe.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/splash-back-in-time-with-aquarama-and-mermaids-of-yesteryear-at-the-hukilau-by-sandra-carr/

Read more about Vintage Roadside's symposium at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Roadside/74721179288

Read about The Hukilau and Aquarama symposium on the Society of Commercial Archaeology and Old Florida blog sites (blog posts are by Rick Kilby). https://www.facebook.com/pages/Society-for-Commercial-Archeology/90676170822

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Florida/145618702158761

We've updated the Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge to focus on the classic Rum Barrel, and we're thrilled to have Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and the "Rum Rat Pack" on board as judges!

Can you build a better Barrel? Click below for all the latest info:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39499&forum=4

See original Aquarama mermaid costumes and vintage film footage of the Mai-Kai and Weeki Wachee during Vintage Roadside's “Beautiful Girls that Live like Fish!: The Story of Aquarama, the World-Famous Mermaid Attraction” symposium at The Hukilau! Get your tickets now! Read about The Hukilau in Shellbelle's Tiki Hut blog: http://www.shellbellestikihut.com/2011/04/has-anyone-seen-my-grass-skirt.html

Dick Dale and Laramie Dean will be doing a meet-and-greet at The Mai-Kai on Sunday, June 12, (exclusively for Hukilau attendees) before their Miami show. More details to come.

Learn about Aquarama and their mermaids during Vintage Roadside's symposium, Saturday June 11 at 12:30 p.m. at the Bahia Mar! See vintage mermaid costumes, Mai-Kai film footage and Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Admission is $20. Get your tickets now! Read about The Hukilau and Aquarama in Neato Coolville's blog:

http://neatocoolville.blogspot.com/2011/04/hukilau-is-neato-tiki-cool.html

Aloha,

Really swell stuff will be shown during my talk and atendees will HEAR the voice of one of the most important people of the Tiki Age in Hawaii. I promise you will not want to miss this...

Well, its 10 years, and is time, we just signed up and will be attending the whole event! I spent many a summer and holiday in Miami in the 60/70's so this will be fun!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-04-29 14:18 ]

J

When I first heard about Phillip Roberts' "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii" seminar at Hukilau, that was the deal clincher for me to book airfare from LA.

I'm very disappointed to hear it has been canceled.

:( :( :( :( :(

John-O,

We were all really looking forward to Phillip Roberts Symposium as well, and we apologize for the need to cancel this..
I'm sorry to say this, but what it all boiled down to was ticket sales for his symposium. It had only sold a handful of tickets.

We don't really understand why... It might be the economy... or it might be some other reason...
We thought that this would have been one of our most attended symposiums...

Unfortunately we had to look at the bottom line, and there was absolutely no way that we could have come close to breaking even with the amount of tickets that had been sold to this symposium so we had to make this decision.

I would like to say that we admire Phillip's work, and encourage everyone to pick up a copy of his book. This was not a decision that we took lightly, and we would like to apologize to Phillip (as I have already done via email), and everyone that was planning to attend his symposium.

If you did purchase a ticket for this symposium your money will be refunded as we have already emailed those that have purchased.

Sincerely - Christie J. White
Producer - The Hukilau

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2011-05-02 20:39 ]

T

John-O....your trip will not be in vain.2 words....Mai Kai.

2 More words Tikiyaki and Marina (and lots of fire!)

It's indeed a bummer about the symposium, but this economy is kicking everyone's ass. I was looking forward to hangin' out with Phil myself.

Phil, if you can make it to LA, perhaps we can set something up for you there,maybe with Tikiyaki, if you're up for it. Would be pretty cool, I think.

J

Oh, no!

It is, sadly, true. This is a lousy economy and even those who can "splurge" Hukilau-wise are probably being more "strict" with their pennies than they would have been in happier times. Still, the Hukilau is WELL worth attending even if the only thing was a bunch of Tikiphiles from around the world loitering at the Mai-Kai.

I was definitely planning on buying a ticket or two for this seminar, as well, but I was waiting until I was certain I was going to be able to make it to the Hukilau. In my line of work, it's all last-minute (or close to it). Sorry this won't be happening, but I sure hope I get to see everyone. Fingers crossed.

Get psyched for this year's Hukilau by watching YouTube videos from past events!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHukilauEvent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Ij008El2o (Video by Chris Kridler)

Hukilau in the news:

http://bit.ly/haoB0p

Love the phrase from the article "Retro Tourism."

A View of the South Pacific // Closed or moved or ????

Holler Waller - we are no longer having our opening event at the Museum but you can see the exhibit A View of The South Pacific at the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale through the month of June!

Aloha and see you in June!

Read about The Hukilau on Double Crown Records/The Continental Magazine. See live performances by Grinder Nova, The Tikiyaki Orchestra, The Intoxicators!, The Exotics, The Fisherman and DJs Lounge Laura Taylor, Drew Farmer, Jack Fetterman and Gina of the Jungle spinning the tropical beats! Get your tickets now! http://www.doublecrownrecords.com/2011/05/04/hukilau-tiki-festival-10th-anniversary-june-9-12-2011/

Lost In Paradise: The Hukilau Teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PhwnvPG-Q4

See Ya There!

Find out who will be facing off in The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge, sponsored by Montanya Rum and Fee Brothers:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=39499&forum=4&start=15

New to Hukilau, new to Mai Kai, and questions. The second show begins seating at 8:30. The Dinner show begins at 10:30. Are they in the same room? Or do we have dinner then move to the show area? The Hukilau schedule lists Tikiyaki as in the Samoa & Tahiti Dining Areas. If I've reserved for the second dinner show, will I be eating in these areas, or would I have to miss Tikiyaki?

The Tahiti and Samoa dining areas don't have line of sight with the stage, so if you are seated in these rooms, you will not be able to see the show. And vice versa for musical acts if you are seated outside of Tahita and Samoa. You can freely walk between the different rooms, but there is no one spot to catch everything. The best thing to do is probably call the Mai Kai and verify where your table is going to be located.

PI

What ticket do you need for Sunday's event? Aloha Pass only or if you buying a Saturday Day Pass, etc, can you still attend on Sunday?

2 weeks away! So ready for it :)

Any Pass or Wristband from The Hukilau will gain you entry to Sunday at the Mai-Kai.

The time has changed to 3:00pm - 5:00pm though so please take note!

S

On 2011-05-19 11:41, Bill5925 wrote:
New to Hukilau, new to Mai Kai, and questions. The second show begins seating at 8:30. The Dinner show begins at 10:30. Are they in the same room? Or do we have dinner then move to the show area? The Hukilau schedule lists Tikiyaki as in the Samoa & Tahiti Dining Areas. If I've reserved for the second dinner show, will I be eating in these areas, or would I have to miss Tikiyaki?

If you make dinner show reservations, then you are seated in th esame room as the show, no moving after dinner. If you have just dinner reservations, you will not be in the room/area of the dinner show.

Aloha folks. The missus and I are making the trek to the 10th annual Hukilau and couldn't be more excited!

I am debuting two, yes 2 brand new mugs at the event. A tribute to my second favorite carver Barney West and a Moderne Hawaiian Ku to boot. I haven't done a Ku since 2003 so this had my lil brain going for a while. Both of these are way super duper limited edition so be on the look out.

We are also bringing two 4'-5'carved tikis , a Marq and Maori like the ole Sam's Seafood /Trader Vics style. Pics to follow soon .

I am finishing up a local restaurant right before I head out so I will be way ready to have fun with y'all.

Long live the Mai Kai!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2011-05-28 18:16 ]

Congratulations to Tiki Kiliki and The Hukilau on 10 fun filled years!

I'm super proud to be a part of the fun this year while Lake Tiki also celebrates, Ten Years of Tiki Art!

My Anniversary Collection features new and very unique pieces inspired by the wilds of Papua New Guinea.

In addition are pieces inspired by the Cook Islands, Marquesan Islands, Hawaiian Islands and Polynesian Pop icons.

It has been a long, cold winter here in the Midwest, but it has inspired me to create some really special carvings, and I am looking forward to debuting them all at The Hukilau!

See you all very soon in Fort Lauderdale! Safe travels everyone!

I'm arranging bail in advance for me, Lake, and Diablo. :)

Oh thank God, at least one of us is planning ahead! Ya know this year the three of us are not all lined up in the vendors area. Ha all the more reason to escape my booth. Although I did catch a nap one year under my table.

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2011-05-30 00:28 ]

J

On Sat night, if all I want to do is have drinks and see Tikiyaki O., do I need to make reservations for anything?

I'm assuming the dinner show is the Mai Kai's regular Polynesian Review, is this correct ??

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies