Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2011 Official Thread & Announcement!

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies

T

Can't believe Hukilau 2011 is already over... Crazy!

Just wanted to say a few thank you's to some much deserving people...
First of all to Lewis Bailey... We ran our own sound and lights this year... which is not an easy task by any means... The plan was for Lewis, and I to both work on this together... except I ended up with a case of food poisoning Thursday night... I played my set with The Intoxicators! even though I was sick, and immediately went back to my room to throw up some more... :(
This continued for pretty much the whole weekend... Lewis picked up the slack Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and did a great job... The guys in The Intoxicators! also helped out... so they deserve thanks too...
I heard about Lewis doing a crazy jam session in the penthouse since we couldn't do The Disasternauts gig like we had planned... There's even a youtube clip from it... Crazy!!!
Speaking of Crazy... I heard the rumor that The Disasternauts drummer missed the gig because he had the runs... This makes no since since everyone knows that astronauts wear diapers anyway... lol

OK... back to the Thank you's...

Mike Jones for the use of your PA... the chili, coffee, and mojitos on Wednesday...
Joe and Nicole Desmond for the ride back from The Mai Kai on Wednesday... and also for driving around the block real slow so we could sing Midnight Train to Georgia... :wink:
King Kukulele, The Exotics, Fisherman, Ekaterina, Tikiyaki Orchestra, Grinder Nova, Marina The Fire Eating Mermaid, and her pod-o-mermaids, The Intoxicators!, Jeff Berry and the Rum Rat Pack (seriously one of the most amazing things I have seen at Hukilau ever... at The Mai Kai no less!!!), Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily, Paul Roe, Vintage Roadside, Laura and Drew, Jack and Gina, DJ Sensitive Side, Mikey Ramirez, James Brown's Sweat, and The Disasternauts... Thank you all. You put on amazing performances/seminars/dj sets. I have heard nothing but positive reviews... :)

Thanks to Tiki Kiliki, and Amy, and Mike, and Jim, and Chris, and Dave, and John, and Aaron for all of their work to put on this amazing event...
Harold Golen Gallery for bringing Bunny Yeagar pictures back to Hukilau... :)
Oh... Can't forget Go-11 Media... They were everywhere with their green screen... They are totally nice people and they totally saved me... My daughter told me not to come back from Hukilau without a picture of me hanging out with Marina The Mermaid... and they made sure that this happened...
If you need some photo/video/web site/web hosting work give them a call... http://go11media.com

Thanks again to Woody Compton from Comptone Drums and his wife Kim for helping me out too... The cherry stave snare drum that he built for me is the most amazing drum I have ever played... If you saw me playing on Friday or Saturday you got to hear it... AMAZING!!!! http://www.comptone.com

Also thanks to Gary M. for the use of his vibraphone... Some of you may remember him from playing marimba with The Robert Drasnin Orchestra at Hukilau several years ago... A heck of a nice guy for letting us use his personal gear... setting it up... and delivering it to every venue... :)

Last but not least, thank you to The Mai Kai. AMAZING as always. Let's do this again next year... :wink:

Cheers!
Brian Crum

T

It was great to see you again Chris.First video is really cool and can't wait for more..Lost in Paradise is definitely my favorite Youtube channel...

[ Edited by: Tiki-Tim 2011-06-17 09:41 ]

J

At last! Proof I was there!

Mahalo to all the excellent people I met and worked alongside!

Ahh shucks, mahaloz guys. Everybody be sure to check out Tiki Tim's Youtube page. He's got tons of footage already up and running. Dang dude, did you take any breaks? Awesome!

I normally don't shoot room parties because, well, I'm usually to Lost by then to focus, hold the camera steady, or say anything without slurring. For some reason I tried this time. Both of the audio tracks in this video are from the jam session that was going on in the Mai Kai Penthouse Party featuring Lewis Bailey, Jonpaul Balak, Babs? and another drummer (anyone know the name?) The beginning is not that bad, but you can definitely see my decline during the video. Mahaloz and Cheers ta two killah parties!

Lost In Paradise: The Hukilau Room Party Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetOKl48OZw

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2011-06-17 21:53 ]

Here's Marina's Wreck Bar show in 5 minutes. With a special guest appearance by the Tikiyaki Aqua Maniacs.

http://youtu.be/TRq0RAut_-s

Greetings Everyone..Just wanted to say what a great time again I had. I think my Dad would
be surprised at all people that have come to drink his creations. My first drink at the Mai-Kai is the "DERBY" in his honor. Christi you did it again!! It was great to meet so many
newbie's and to see their express when they see the Mai-Kai. See you all next year. Ron Licudine

I totally forgot to say...Thank you all so much for the wonderful things you all have said
about my DAD. He would be very touched by it all, and he would say "I'm only the "CHIEF
MIXOLOGIST" actually thats what Im saying.

P
phinz posted on Sat, Jun 18, 2011 4:23 PM

The other drummer was Vic, Babs's husband. :)

M

Tiki central post:

Thanks to Christie, Amy, and everyone involved for making it such a great Hukilau! That was an amazing year!

I had such a great time, and I hope you all enjoyed our Rumposium- we sure had a good time doing it, and I still can't believe I was on stage at the Mai Kai, a very special experience for me.

Mahalo to everyone, and keep up the fight, comrades!

http://www.rumrevolution.net

Mermaids....Monkeys.....Monsters.....Surf Guitar....it was all there at The Hukilau on the 2nd Day. Killah Performances by Medusirena and her M-Pod Aquaticats, The Intoxicators, Grinder Nova, The Disasternauts and The Exotics. Here is a quick peek at the happenings:

Lost In Paradise: The Hukilau Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hSNFw7EE7s

Memories, photos and stories from The Hukilau 2011 at Tiki Lounge Talk

http://tikiloungetalk.com/2011/06/22/memories-of-the-hukilau-2011-ft-lauderdale-fl/

Here's our blog post covering our first trip to the Hukilau.

http://vintageroadtrip.blogspot.com/2011/06/vintage-roads-hits-hukilau.html

B

Also had a wonderful time at my first Hukilau. The bands were great and the Mai-Kai was amazing. Ft. Lauderdale is a beautiful and strange city in a beautiful and strange state!

'Rum Rat Pack' starts a revolution at Hukilau 2011

Tropical drink revivalist Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and his "Rum Rat Pack" – four of the world’s most noted authorities on the cane spirit – banded together on stage at the legendary Mai-Kai restaurant in Fort Lauderdale during the afternoon of Saturday, June 12, to celebrate Tiki’s favorite elixir.

More than two hours and a thousand or so cocktails later, the 200 Tikiphiles attending this 10th anniversary Hukilau exclusive event were swept up in a movement not seen in these parts of the tropics since Fidel’s rise to power in another rum-soaked nation just to the south. But in the friendly environs of The Mai-Kai, which actually pre-dates Castro’s revolt by several years, the revolutionaries were armed only with good spirits. Lots of good spirits.

Click on the link below for more photos and our exhaustive recap of the event ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/06/23/rum-rat-pack-starts-a-revolution-at-hukilau-2011/

Lost In Paradise: The Hukilau at the Mai-Kai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO43Vw_Yefs

Mahaloz and Cheers!

J

Thanks for all the video documentation, future generations of sociologists will thank you!

Sorry for the late reply, it usually takes me a while to readjust to life, get back to work and get organized after managing this event over the past year. It surely doesn't mean that I haven't been thinking about what an incredible experience this year truly was.

Thanks to everyone that came out to show your support this year. Thanks to our vendors that brought all the great items and that worked all weekend to please our attendees. To my wonderful staff - Amy, John, Dave, Brian, Jim, Mike - I know you guys gave so much of yourselves during the past year to see that things went off without a hitch and it showed. All of our marvelous entertainers - Tikiyaki Orchestra, The Fisherman, Exotics, The Intoxicators!, The Disasternauts, Grinder Nova.

Special mention to Lewis Bailey who helped us out all weekend - you are a lifesaver!

The mezmerizing Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid was dazzling as always.

Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and the Rum Rat Pack - Martin Cate, Steve Remsberg, Ian Burrell and Wayne Curtis were revolutionary!!

Paul Roe from Britishink Tattoo in DC gave us a marvelous look at Hawaii and Old School Tattoos.

Vintage Roadside completely floored me with their wonderful symposium on Aquarama - it was great that there was a Fort Lauderdale connection and that they had taken the family to the Mai-Kai!! That 8mm footage was spectacular!

DJ's Jack Fetterman and Gina of the Jungle played the best of Exotica and Lounge Laura Taylor and Drew Farmer were on hand to add some great tunes too - thanks so much for continuing the weekends soundtrack.

All of our volunteers worked with us to make it a success as always.

And the Mai-Kai was as majestic as always, beckoning to all of us to stay, stay....

It was wonderful to have my 3 minutes with Pablus backstage during the mixologist challenge - and my 2 kisses and run throughout the weekend.

My great conversations and time spent with my good friend Jonpaul from LA. Wouldn't take anything for it!

All of it was grand and I am so honored to have spent that weekend with all of you!!

Looking forward to next year!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2011-07-05 21:23 ]

Where's The Hukilau 2012 Thread?????

As soon as our new site is ready we will certainly launch a thread! Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies