Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2011 Official Thread & Announcement!

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies

John-O - the dancers and Mrs. Thornton have been practicing for months for the night of Hukilau. They have told me it is going to be a brand new show filled with many surprises. If you have never seen that show surrounded by ohana at The Hukilau then you are truly missing something.

You cannot show up at the Mai-Kai during dinner show hours without a reservation. Let them know that you are there to see Tikiyaki in the back room and they'll let you go to the back.

On 2011-05-29 16:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I'm arranging bail in advance for me, Lake, and Diablo. :)

Are you putting that on your credit card BK?

Just wanted to make sure we didn't exceed any credit limits with a three man wrecking crew! :)

On 2011-05-30 00:27, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Ya know this year the three of us are not all lined up in the vendors area. Ha all the more reason to escape my booth. Although I did catch a nap one year under my table.

Danny, I'm just a couplefew down from you, so anytime you wanna catch some z's under the table, I'll keep an eye on your booth!

OK so what is the password? hmmmm..... how about Sheboygan?

Right on Danny. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you... its been a while!

We have reservations for the late dinner show. Does this mean we will be missing out on bands while watching the show? From reading earlier do we eat first then watch the show? I'm confused - need a beginner's guide to Hukilau!

B

On 2011-05-25 16:15, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Any Pass or Wristband from The Hukilau will gain you entry to Sunday at the Mai-Kai.

The time has changed to 3:00pm - 5:00pm though so please take note!

You're killing me with these cancellations and schedule changes. Now I'll have to miss Sunday entirely.

There really haven't been that many changes, we are accommodating everything the best we can. We changed the time in order to coordinate with Dick Dale. There is so much to enjoy over the weekend....

After the evening at the MaiKai, you may not make it out of bed till around 3pm!!

PI

One week!!! I can almost feel a Black Magic in my hand already.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2011 2:39 PM

For those into the Mid-Century architechture, the Mai-Kai's architect, Charles McKirahan, has many great buildings still in the Fort Lauderdael area, and on your way to the hotel from the airport and especially on your way to the Mai-Kai. Make a stop and see some great stuff!

Details here

Check out our special retrospective with video clips from all 10 years ...

The Hukilau weathers many storms to celebrate 10 years of Tiki madness

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/06/05/the-hukilau-weathers-many-storms-to-celebrate-10-years-of-tiki-madness/

Can't wait for the madness to begin anew!

O

DJ Lounge Laura Taylor and Drew from Stolen Idols are looking forward to spinning deep exotica cuts this weekend at the 10th Anniversary of THEE HUKILAU! Looking forward to seeing you!
http://www.thehukilau.com/2011/entertainment/
We're at the Harold Golen exhibition Thursday from 5-7p,
Jeff “Beachbum” Berry & the Rum Rat Pack Meet and Greet, 3pm Friday and various other times, along with Jack Fetterman and Gina of the Jungle...tag teaming to bring you the most potent mix of polynesian polyphony legal in the Northern Hemisphere!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2011 8:27 PM

On 2011-06-04 14:39, Swanky wrote:
For those into the Mid-Century architechture, the Mai-Kai's architect, Charles McKirahan, has many great buildings still in the Fort Lauderdael area, and on your way to the hotel from the airport and especially on your way to the Mai-Kai. Make a stop and see some great stuff!

Details here

THANK YOU !!

That was exactly the type of information I was trying to research on my own. As soon as I saw that picture of the Premiere Hotel I tried to get out of my existing Tue-Wed hotel reservation to stay there.

Unfortunately it was a 72 hour cancellation policy. :(

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-05 20:28 ]

Sheboygan it is.

Details here

The Ocean Manor is home to Barefoot Beach Tiki Bar (just like most tiki bars in FL - there is no tiki). Huge Thatch bar right on the beach great location for drinks on the beach. They focus on cold bear and frozen drinks - if you are out wandering around.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 9:23 AM

On 2011-06-05 20:27, JOHN-O wrote:

Details here

THANK YOU !!

That was exactly the type of information I was trying to research on my own. As soon as I saw that picture of the Premiere Hotel I tried to get out of my existing Tue-Wed hotel reservation to stay there.

Unfortunately it was a 72 hour cancellation policy. :(

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-05 20:28 ]

The quick way to see lots of Mid-Century buildings, and Charles McKirahan buildings is to head up A1A toward the Mai-Kai as usual. be sure to notice the Ramada Sea Club (formerly Jolly Roger)on your way, and then turn left on Bayshore. Drive around those streets and find the Manhattan and PRemiere and others. Come back through there in the evening to see the neon!

P

On 2011-06-06 09:08, AlohaStation wrote:

The Ocean Manor is home to Barefoot Beach Tiki Bar (just like most tiki bars in FL - there is no tiki). Huge Thatch bar right on the beach great location for drinks on the beach. They focus on cold bear and frozen drinks - if you are out wandering around.

so, is it a polar bear or just a chilly grizzly?

If your coming down be sure to stock up on sunscreen. Even though we are in the time of year where its supposed to rain every day - weather has been sunny and dry. No rain till Saturday or Sunday, then its only a 30% chance!

P
phinz posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2011 4:34 PM

On 2011-06-01 11:10, Bill5925 wrote:

On 2011-05-25 16:15, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Any Pass or Wristband from The Hukilau will gain you entry to Sunday at the Mai-Kai.

The time has changed to 3:00pm - 5:00pm though so please take note!

You're killing me with these cancellations and schedule changes. Now I'll have to miss Sunday entirely.

+1. We check out of our hotel at 11 and have to figure out something to do until going to the airport. Our flight leaves at 5, so we'll get no time at the MaiKai now. I was actually looking forward to having somewhere to go after checking out for the first time instead of just wandering around like a lost soul. :(

Don't forget the Unofficially Official Kick-Off party at the Mai Kai wednesday (tomorrow) night!

I'll be the guy in the Aloha shirt with a drink in hand. Probably both hands. You can't miss me!

My suitcases are bursting at the seams with tikis bound for Hukilau 2011!

If you enjoy tiki decor from days gone by, masks and carvings the likes of what you would find in a Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber, Kon Tiki and even the Mai Kai, please stop by and visit my booth! Wallhanging pieces inspired by the islands of the South Pacific, all individually hand carved and hand painted by yours truly.

Looking forward to seeing everyone... safe travels to all!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2011-06-07 17:03 ]

The Hukilau will be in full swing in less than 48 hours. Check out our exhaustive event preview with video clips of many of the performers ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/06/07/hukilau-2010-video-preview-a-tiki-lovers-dream-event/

J

Ughh... The Mai Kai kicked my ass last night. :( But what an incredible first visit. :)

The veterans weren't kidding when they said the "Strong" drinks were STRONG. This California Tikiphile has been humbled.

Must recover quickly so I can return in 6 hours. (And Hukilau hasn't even started).

Man, the place was virtually empty last night (Tue) at 9pm. I guess that won't be the case for long.

Y

Just got into Bahia mar, gonna try to hitup the Mai Kai tonight. What's the usual gathering time?
Thanks for the warning on the strong drinks! Will pace ourselves! :wink:

Y

Also a tip for curbing hangovers is to have some pedialite before and after your drinking. That's from a hard partying roller derby gal :)

I haven't heard an official time, but I think Trevor and I will be there about 7:15-7:30ish

G

On 2011-06-08 10:13, JOHN-O wrote:
Ughh... The Mai Kai kicked my ass last night. :( But what an incredible first visit. :)

The veterans weren't kidding when they said the "Strong" drinks were STRONG. This California Tikiphile has been humbled.

Must recover quickly so I can return in 6 hours. (And Hukilau hasn't even started).

Man, the place was virtually empty last night (Tue) at 9pm. I guess that won't be the case for long.

Ha! Tell us what you drank last night. Individually, they're not THAT strong really, but if you're into more than you can count on one hand then... :)

Empty at 9pm on a weekday night is normal. But once Hukilau starts? Wall to wall people. Just TRY to get a seat in Samoa or Tahiti when the bands are there. Have fun. I'm not there this year (first time in a while), but instead heading to your coast on Saturday for a week of fun and debauchery. :D

J

On 2011-06-08 16:38, GatorRob wrote:
Ha! Tell us what you drank last night. Individually, they're not THAT strong really, but if you're into more than you can count on one hand then... :)

I started out with a Jet Pilot, then a Black Magic, and then a 151 Swizzle and then... ???. I think that in addition to the dehydration of the 6+ hour plane flight did me in (I went straight to the Mai Kai after landing on Tue night).

Also muchas mahalos to Andy (of Chip & Andy) and Swanky for their personal tours of the Mai Kai on Wed night. Your deep knowledge and love of the Mai Kai only furthered my Tiki appreciation for such a significant landmark.

The drunken Swanky tour was especially easy to follow as he spoke rea...lly slowly and repeated everything twice. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-10 11:59 ]

T

OMG! We have had the best time . Thanks to Tiki Killiki for a great event . And to John O for the personal tour of the Mai Kai , to Bonomo and Kari for the great video and pics. And to all the Tikiyaki Boys . Oh and to Marina for letting me jump in the show in my Creature costume . Too much fun folks . Pics to come .

[

Check out our recap](http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/06/10/the-hukilau-crowns-a-rum-barrel-master-mixologist/) of the Rum Barrel Challenge, including photos plus all the recipes.

Introducing ...

The Atomic Grog

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2011-06-12 08:10 ]

P

Mahalo Tiki Kiliki.

You and Swanky done a good thing getting this event kicking 10 years ago and you've done it proud this year.
Thanks to all the volunteers and organizers. Especially Brian Crum and Hurricane Heyward. They were everywhere all of the time.

The best part is always the Mai Kai and this year was no exception. Lots of laughs with old friends and new friends. Lots of great cocktails. Music - even getting to listen to the Tahitian Mai Kai players do their traditional music last night - that was incredible.

The Rum dealio with Beachbum and martiki and the other venerable speakers was truly remarkable.
It could have lasted an extra hour and no one would have minded.
Very very good. I'm glad I got forced into going to it.

One other thing. The Cabana staff are as friendly as I've ever met. They must be well-managed or making scads of cash or something because they're all affable.

For real - if you ever get a chance to get into a conversation with Mr. Ho and Sabu and Kanekila and Jennifer, The Vintage Dress Model - bring your A-game. That's the hardest I've laughed in a few years and they seemed to be gasping as well.

151 Swizzle was the favorite of the week.

Rum mixology contest was rigged. I was robbed like an Ivy-Leaguer in East LA.

Well, maybe not - but it's already too late to stop some of the stuff I've set in motion for the judges when they get back home. Aloha THIS!

Nah, just kidding - it was fun. I'm confident enough in my ability to know that if you mix all the drinks according to recipe - you're going to love my riff on it for sure.

The music was really great. The Intoxicators flat out rock. Tikiyaki was great to listen to, especially in that environment. I regret not getting to see the Fishermen but the Molokai was so packed I couldn't take 3 steps in there.

The Mai Kai people were great. It was a madhouse in there for hours on end. Loads of work for them.

Kern - as always - you are a fantastic host. You are welcome in my house any time with open arms and lots of aloha.

ON TO NEW YORK!!!

J

This was my first year as a volunteer and Hukilauing is even more fun than as an attendee. Other than providing Shark Bites or Samoan Grogs every hour on the hour to volunteers, I wouldn't change a thing. :wink:

I gotta second that about The Intoxicators!

Also, Beachbum Berry & Martin Cate (as well as Ian Burrell & Stephen Remsberg & Wayne Curtis) and Jody Daily & Kevin Kidney were all remarkable fun to meet; affable, down-to-earth and they genuinely seemed to be having a blast themselves.

(Maybe next year Jody & Kevin might have a presentation of their own? Fingers crossed.)

Sign me up for next year!

Another fantastic Hukilau. Thanks beyond words to Tiki Kiliki, all the volunteers and everyone else for making this event the finest of it's kind anywhere! I had a great time and so did my posse. We'll be back.

What a wonderful Hukilau 2011 we had in Fort Lauderdale - truly the Venice of America! I'm looking forward to seeing pics. It sure was a great time.

K

Thanks to Tiki Kaliki and all the rest involved in producing this year's special edition 10th Anniversary of Hukilau. I most likely would not have been there had it not been for an email in January from Jim Bacchi of the Tikiyaki Orchestra asking if I would be available to join them as an honorary member on steel guitar. I had gigs, but it was far enough out that, thankfully, I could find a sub. :)

Thank you Pablus for riding down and back with me, for letting me crash your room with all my stuff and for introducing me to the 151 Swizzle, the Mutiny and Las Vegas Cuban Cuisine. You were not kidding -- Best Cuban sandwich. Ever. Oh, and for solving all the planet's problems in one four hour car ride back.

Playing with Tikiyaki Orchestra was a special treat. You are all pros and it shows! In spite of some of the logistical complications and tech issues we had, in the end, the music was sublime and it was an honor to play with you. Thanks again to Jim for asking me to join you boys for the festivities!

I didn't get to hear a lot of the musical acts as much as I wanted, but I have to say, one of my favorite sets was The Exotics in the Molokai lounge. Don and those boys have a truly vintage thing going on there. Can't wait to make it back up to The Foundation Bar in Milwaukee again. Folks, if you're in that area, you gotta check it out!

Mahalo again to all,
kanekila

S

On 2011-06-10 11:54, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2011-06-08 16:38, GatorRob wrote:

I started out with a Jet Pilot, then a Black Magic, and then a 151 Swizzle and then... ???. I think that in addition to the dehydration of the 6+ hour plane flight did me in (I went straight to the Mai Kai after landing on Tue night).

Also muchas mahalos to Andy (of Chip & Andy) and Swanky for their personal tours of the Mai Kai on Wed night. Your deep knowledge and love of the Mai Kai only furthered my Tiki appreciation for such a significant landmark.

The drunken Swanky tour was especially easy to follow as he spoke rea...lly slowly and repeated everything twice. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-10 11:59 ]

Yeah, Wed did me in! 6 years of no Hukilau hang-overs ruined by a free Mystery Drink. Ugg! Glad I made sense at least! (I did make sense right?)

Wow! It was our first time out to the Hukilau and we had such a great time!

Huge thanks to Christie and all the staff & volunteers that worked so hard to ensure that all anyone had to do was show up and have a great time. Also thanks to those of you that came to our Aquarama presentation - you guys absolutely packed that room. We've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to show that 1965 Mai-Kai footage :) More thanks to our friend Marina for once again being a part of our symposium, and for shuttling us to the Mai-Kai. And to everyone we finally had a chance to meet for the first time thanks for making us feel so welcome! Looking forward to next year all ready!

Jeff & Kelly

T

Total blast !

Hukilau 10 was killer : The bands,the weather, the Mermaids, the Mai Kai....did I mention the Mai Kai ? It's Mecca, and nothing comes close to it.

Huge Thanx Christie for bringing the band out again for the 10th anniversary of Hukilau, it was an honor and the band had a blast....3 days of total exhaustion !

Kanekila, thanx so much for joining us again....now, you know, the only way out now is in a box ! Folks, he did a killer job on no rehearsal...just awesome.

Marina...what can I say ? It's always an honoring having you perform with us, and as usual, you were top notch....Getting to make a cameo during the mermaid show was the icing on the cake....man, I have to work on holding my breath.

Huge thanx to Brian Crum (TikiGoob) and The Intoxicators, for lending us their gear, guitars and all (now I KNOW I need a Jazzmaster) and Louie for lending us the rest....I know, it's a tall order providing gear for this band, and it's mucho appreciated.

Mr Ho, thanx for lending us jumping in on percussion at the Mai Kai, it certainly made my job easier.

Thanx also to everyone who told us they trekked down to Hukilau from all over especially to see us, it's an honor to hear that, and I hoped we delivered, and that you'll excuse some of the technical malfunctions we had.

I'll agree with Kanekila that The Exotics were just KILLER....their set at the Molokai bar was amazing, and will add that the Intoxicators, once again, ripped my head off...STELLAR !

It was great having some home town peeps with us...Tiki Ray and Cindy (thanx for helping with the merch!) , Chris B, John-O, Congawa,.....glad you guys were all there to hang with us

Denny,I hope you find your uke !

On a final note, I'd like to add that the Mai Kai special is my new favorite drink,and those Tahitian Cheese Tang appetizers were sinfully addicting.

TIL' NEXT TIME....ALOHA, BABY !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2011-06-13 15:51 ]

On 2011-06-13 14:59, tikiyaki wrote:
Getting to make a cameo during the mermaid show was the icing on the cake....man, I have to work on holding my breath.

Favorite thing overheard at the Wreck Bar Friday night from the 10 year-old girl behind us:

"Mom, why did that pilot fall in the pool? I hope the mermaids help him get out."

It was one of the highlights of our trip! :)

C

I flew home late last night (on Tikiyaki Airways, as it turned out) and I'm back at work today and running on fumes (but fortunately, they're Mai Kai Jet Pilot fumes!). However, with what coherence I have I want to express what a total blast I had at my first Hukilau. Yes, my first four trips to the Mai Kai (parts of Thurs, Fri, Sun, and most of Sat) played a huge role in that, but it was every other aspect as well, and most importantly the friendliness of the Hukilau Ohana in making a first-timer feel at home! Major kudos to Christie, the staff and volunteers for making things run smoothly, like a fine falernum and allspice dram-lubricated machine!

Caltiki Brent

T

On 2011-06-13 15:11, Vintage Roadside wrote:

On 2011-06-13 14:59, tikiyaki wrote:
Getting to make a cameo during the mermaid show was the icing on the cake....man, I have to work on holding my breath.

Favorite thing overheard at the Wreck Bar Friday night from the 10 year-old girl behind us:

"Mom, why did that pilot fall in the pool? I hope the mermaids help him get out."

It was one of the highlights of our trip! :)

"Dear, he was drunk...."

A show just isn't a show without a special guest star or two...

GRIN

Y

Just want to say a quick thanks to everyone we met. it was our first Hukilau or any kind of tiki get together and it was simply amazing, if not a little life changing.

Beyond coming home with some SWEET tiki stuff for our pad, (tiki Diablo rules!) I think the best thing we brought home were all the amazing friends we made at the event. Tiki 65, Trader Scott, Sonya and Geoff the newlyweds, Kimmie, Jason Tiki Tackett... oh geez, the list goes on and on... but seriously, you're ALL awesome people and I'm glad to know you.

DJ Coffman

P
phinz posted on Wed, Jun 15, 2011 5:27 PM

Was great meeting the two of you, DJ. You're welcome at Trader Scott's any time you're headed south.

P
phinz posted on Wed, Jun 15, 2011 5:28 PM

On 2011-06-14 10:02, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! wrote:
A show just isn't a show without a special guest star or two...

GRIN

Thought you'd enjoy this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJwqofXq8w

Lost In Paradise: The Hukilau Kick Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxGLrEobRE

Cheers

Chris

T

Chris,

Great meeting you at Hukilau, and thanks for recording what are, sadly, already just memories of a grand and merry tiki event. I know this was a labor of love for you, but it also meant you sacrificed a lot of your own personal time doing the camera mechanics.

-Tom

Chris on the Bahia Cabana poolside at Hukilau opening

T

Awesome !

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies