Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Shout out to Kahuna Kevin

Pages: 1 27 replies

A

I have been slowly making my way through Kahuna Kevin's WHY IS THE RUM GONE book. There are so many that are amazing...I am surprised it isn't being discussed on more often on tikicentral.

I particularly like the 731 Doubloons, Acid Bowl, Addled Wench, Guavatron, Honey Dew'd, Irish Nutjob, Kaijito, Port to Starboard, and Morphine Bowl.

I like the fact that the drinks have a solid base, but use several new ingredients that I hadn't tried before that add that extra layer of flavor and complexity.

I particularly like the D'Aristi Xtabentun liqueur in several of the drinks.

Just thought this book needs more fanfare...

Anestiki

RB

I'm having fun with it, too, though slowly since I don't have/can't get some of the ingredients. Made the Bac-O-Tini this week, and got in trouble with the wife when she found out I only had enough bacon to make one sampler drink!

I just stumbled upon this now... THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm really glad you like my creations!

Please cross-post your views on Amazon.com as well. The more reviews, the more I sell, the more I have to invest in exotic rums and strange liqueurs = WIN/WIN for everyone.

X-post reviews here please:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I7WM6Q

And also on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/KahunaKevinsRumCocktails

I just posted a new drink for Volume #2 in this TC forum and also on my Facebook page: Dr. Drunkenstein!
I highly advise you make one ASAP. If I had any Falernum left I'd be making one tonight.

Keep the feedback coming, this is awesome.

Mahalo!
-KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-24 13:41 ]

...And try the Punahele Pod next. It's a house guest favorite!

A

I had the Punahele Pod last night...great drink!!

I have found these cocktails far more complex than most of the other new ones I've seen posted.
I mean that in a good way.

When is volume 2 coming out???

Anestiki

On 2011-02-24 05:27, Anestiki wrote:
I had the Punahele Pod last night...great drink!!

I have found these cocktails far more complex than most of the other new ones I've seen posted.
I mean that in a good way.

When is volume 2 coming out???

Anestiki

Thanks Anestiki!

I'm actively mixing away on Volume 2. You can follow the progress on my Facebook page here:
http://www.facebook.com/KahunaKevinsRumCocktails

Realistically Volume 2 will probably be out next year. After completing a final number of drinks, I revisit each and every one and make small changes if necessary, then take the final fully garnished photos. From there it's text entry, formatting, then off to the guy who does my book layout and finally bugging my artist Kray to make another killer piece of cover art for $25 in delivered pizza.

In the meantime I need to sell more of Volume 1 just to cover the costs of reprinting and restocking rum/liqueurs for Volume 2. So far it's a break even gig and as long as it continues to be so I can pursue more 'experiments' and subsequent volumes. So please snag a book (or two) if you haven't already and support the pursuit of cocktail greatness.

MAHALO!
-KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-24 13:41 ]

A

I made Napoleon's Nightcap and the Five Mile Stare last night - amazing!

Great Drinks...it would be easier to list the one or two drinks I didn't care for than to keep listing all the great drinks in this book...buy it NOW if you haven't already. It is well worth it!!

On 2011-02-28 06:35, Anestiki wrote:
I made Napoleon's Nightcap and the Five Mile Stare last night - amazing!

Great Drinks...it would be easier to list the one or two drinks I didn't care for than to keep listing all the great drinks in this book...buy it NOW if you haven't already. It is well worth it!!

Thanks again Anestiki! You're not alone. Feedback is awesome, which is why I'm actively plugging away on the next book.

Fabulous...Fabulous...Fabulous...looking forward to the next book Kevin!!! :wink:

T

We just got ours yesterday,Thanks for the quick postage and it a great book(thick card and spiral bound too!)Also 2 others for TC members from UK on here so they will be pleased with it.My only complaint is this!!It cost me a fortune to get most of the rums and mixers for beachbums book which i'm working through but there are a load of new ones(some i've never heard of!) to get a hold of and that aint cheap over in England but they look great.Guess i will be poor a .bit longer. I'm only kidding there no complaints about it.Recomended for anyone into tiki cocktails.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

T

"to invest in exotic rums and strange liqueurs"

You can say that again.
I like the book.
But most of the drinks have exotic/high dollar mixings.
I use to think I had a good collection of rums/mixers.
Blake I'll try em at your house.

A

Only if you keep supplying me with your amazing lamps, John. We are due for some cocktails soon, though!!

Anestiki

On 2011-03-03 10:17, tikiskip wrote:
"to invest in exotic rums and strange liqueurs"

You can say that again.
I like the book.
But most of the drinks have exotic/high dollar mixings.
I use to think I had a good collection of rums/mixers.
Blake I'll try em at your house.

True. The book isn't for everyone. First and foremost I wanted to do away with vague "light rum","dark rum" ingredients and shift towards actual top shelf rums and liqueurs named by specific brands. Simply put, to make the best cocktails with 100% consistency, you have to buy the best and exact ingredients. I'm sure Blake will be more than happy to help you make the switch and jump in. :wink:

A

After making over half the cocktails so far in this book, I find my interest in all of my previous favorite cocktails diminished. Yes, these drinks are an investment, but at least you know you'll have an amazing result at the end.

PS the Yo-ho-ho bowl and spice melange are some more great drinks recently sampled!!

On 2011-03-07 06:16, Anestiki wrote:
After making over half the cocktails so far in this book, I find my interest in all of my previous favorite cocktails diminished. Yes, these drinks are an investment, but at least you know you'll have an amazing result at the end.

PS the Yo-ho-ho bowl and spice melange are some more great drinks recently sampled!!

Wow, how many more do you have to go Anestiki???

A

I think I have about 15 to go...The problem is I have several that are so good, everytime I go to make something new, I run across the old ones and can't help myself from remaking those!! (Guavatron, Irish Nutjob, 5 mile stare, yo-ho-ho bowl, and addled wench). Can't wait for volume 2.

Anestiki

I finally ordered myself a copy. I don't know what took me so long... I like booze... I like books... It would seem only natural that this end up in my house.

Thanks for the order Klockwork! Your book is going out tomorrow morning with a couple cards to pass around to friends and family. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-15 23:31 ]

M

Alright, anybody out there making substitutions for some of these ingredients? (I know, I know, you said not to, Kahuna Kevin...)

I just can't bring myself to spend the dough for a bottle of Gran Duque D'Alba.

S

On 2011-05-11 17:58, MauiRose wrote:
Alright, anybody out there making substitutions for some of these ingredients? (I know, I know, you said not to, Kahuna Kevin...)

I'm going to have to for pretty much every single drink that I can make, and that is probably only about a 1/4 of the recipes in the book. 98% of the ingredients are not even available to me here in Aus. It sucks because some of the drinks sound awesome.

On 2011-05-11 17:58, MauiRose wrote:

I just can't bring myself to spend the dough for a bottle of Gran Duque D'Alba.

Use E&J XO if you have it available. It's usually $10 a bottle. As good as Gran Duque? Not even close. E&J is still fairly tasty, however if you simply smelled an uncorked Gran Duque you'd probably spend the money. Soooooo goood...

RB

Alright, anybody out there making substitutions for some of these ingredients?

I've been making substitutions when needed (as in your example of brandy), and make a note of it on the recipe. With so many unique ingredients per recipe, I've got to keep an eye on how much I'm spending.

C

I get the point of the warning and the name brands, you formulated them with ingredients XYZ, and while it may be more or less the same ingredients with ABC, there will be a variety of tastes that you'll be labeled the source of. That said the chance of me making a single one of those drinks 100% by the book is not quite, but almost, nil. I suppose I would take the extra step if I were throwing a party or something, but just for Tiki night with the girlfriend I think we'll use what we have. Still most of them look pretty great, the book doesn't look like it will dissolve should some drunk (me) splash anything on the counter. All in all well worth the cash.

A

I just received a copy of Why is the Rum Gone...volume 2

Outstanding!!!

I made 2 cocktails from it last night and they were great.

Kudos for another success.

Can't wait to work my way through the book

Anestiki

Pictures or it didn't happen. :wink:

Which drinks did you make? You know you can pace yourself right? There's 52 drinks, 1 for every week of the new year.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-12-08 00:59 ]

Pictures or it didn't happen. :wink:

Which drinks did you make? You know you can pace yourself right? There's 52 drinks, 1 for every week if the new year.

S

On 2011-12-08 00:58, Kahuna Kevin wrote:
There's 52 drinks, 1 for every week of the new year.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-12-08 00:59 ]

1 drink a week? Are you crazy? :)

Pages: 1 27 replies