Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Westside Nautical Bar Crawl - 4/30/2011 (Photos start Pg 5)

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

C

Don't forget folks--there are many reputable cab drivers in Santa Monica:

And many friendly fellow Tiki lovers with whom to share a cab from one stop to another:

Maybe we can even take a detour to "Santa Rosita," to visit Dick Shawn's beatnik Tiki pad:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9573&forum=1&hilite=dick%20shawn

See you there!

Caltiki Brent

What are "Dead Eyes", and what do you mean by "contemplate"- only contemplate? :)

John-O, I am more and "swinging" towards joining up, Tiki Ti-damaged or not: I never get my lazy ass down there otherwise, have not been in the Galley for more than 10 years, have never been to Jay's, and absolutely could LIVE IN The Warehouse, I dig it so much.

bring condoms?

On 2011-04-26 11:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
What are "Dead Eyes"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_nautical_terms

Deadeye – A wooden block with holes (but no pulleys) which is spliced to a shroud. It is used to adjust the tension in the standing rigging of large sailing vessels, by lacing through the holes with a lanyard to the deck. Performs the same job as a turnbuckle.

Bear

J

On 2011-04-26 11:52, congawa wrote:
Don't forget folks--there are many reputable cab drivers in Santa Monica:
And many friendly fellow Tiki lovers with whom to share a cab from one stop to another:

See you there!
Caltiki Brent

Not gonna make it. Unless John-O gets the cabbies to drive to Valley Center. :)

J

I may start a Tiki Central night here on Tuesdays (I think that day is available).

It's pretty close to where I live, I can ride my bike. Are the drinks any good? We'll find out on Saturday. :)

It's just a short walk from the Warehouse.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2011 9:51 PM

On 2011-04-27 21:29, JOHN-O wrote:

My dad used to take me here when I was about 10. I think virgin pina coladas and roy rogers were my usual drinks back then!

J

On 2011-04-28 18:17, Mekalekahaimekahainiho wrote:
...I think virgin pina coladas and roy rogers were my usual drinks back then!

Well Eric, now that you're a grown man, you can order a regular pina colada and a rob roy. :)

The boat is full and we're ready to set sail soon...

C

On 2011-04-29 13:46, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2011-04-28 18:17, Mekalekahaimekahainiho wrote:
...I think virgin pina coladas and roy rogers were my usual drinks back then!

Well Eric, now that you're a grown man, you can order a regular pina colada and a rob roy. :)

A Rob Roy is a fine upgrade to a Roy Rogers (if the bartender can make it!).

However, I think there needs to be an official adult version of a Roy Rogers--maybe call it either a Lee Marvin or a Lee Van Cleef.

Caltiki Brent

On 2011-04-29 13:58, congawa wrote:

However, I think there needs to be an official adult version of a Roy Rogers--maybe call it either a Lee Marvin or a Lee Van Cleef.

Caltiki Brent

I'd say more like a Jack Palance

vs

Bear

The lifeboats are loaded and its time to set sail on John-O's first annual Westside Nautical Bar Crawl.

With stops at exotic ports o call.

Fun for all!

DC

HT

Looking forward to JOHN-O's Westside Nautical Bar Crawl.

Today's the big day.

I'm ready to set sail!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, May 1, 2011 7:47 AM

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was a successful voyage !!

We even made it to Pieces of Eight, um I mean Shanghai Red's. (Although they wouldn't play the Paul Page I brought :()

And I'm glad Crazy Al wasn't arrested. I was a little concerned after his hi-jinks at the (former) Marina Del Rey DTBC and then seeing LAPD waiting (for us?) at the Warehouse.

:)

On 2011-05-01 07:47, JOHN-O wrote:

And I'm glad Crazy Al wasn't arrested. I was a little concerned after his hi-jinks at the (former) Marina Del Rey DTBC and then seeing LAPD waiting (for us?) at the Warehouse.

Great time John-O, thanks for your efforts. I must admit the Sheriff's squad car grabbed my attention at the Warehouse, particularly since I was hauling over a truckload of tipsy travelers in the bed of my truck!.

I figured the Po Po were there because of Crazy Al going all Spiderman on the Marina Del Rey DTB.

Or trying to steal the mini-sub from the harbor!

DC

Another classic moment on the crawl. The thirsty party arrives at stop number 2 The Galley only to find the doors locked!

John-O to the rescue. Open up says he.

And the doors open.

and in we go

to take over The Galley

Who wants a Mai Tai?

John-O with a Mai Tai inspection.

DC

WooHoo! Looks like everyone had a Great Time :) I know John-O is an expert at leading crawls. SoccerTiki and I were bummed that we couldn't make this one. Put us on the list for the next one.

Thank you John-O, it was a great day out.

Here are some photos:

Chez Jay!

The Galley!

The Galley's doorframes are not appropriate for Erik-sized individuals.

The Mysteriously Shrouded Coconut Monkey

Don the Beachcomber!

Aloha

Aloha, again

The Warehouse!

Pieces of Eight/Shanghai Red's
(apparently the camera never came out for Pieces of Eight/Shanghai Red's)

Looks like you all had a blast! We're definitely in the next one!!!

TT

On 2011-05-01 08:31, Dustycajun wrote:

On 2011-05-01 07:47, JOHN-O wrote:

Great time John-O, thanks for your efforts. I must admit the Sheriff's squad car grabbed my attention at the Warehouse, particularly since I was hauling over a truckload of tipsy travelers in the bed of my truck!.

I figured the Po Po were there because of Crazy Al going all Spiderman on the Marina Del Rey DTB.

Or trying to steal the mini-sub from the harbor!

DC

T

We would've loved to have joined you all but I had to work & Huli was out of town, but we'll be there for the next one. Thanks for the pix!

BK

Looks like you guys had a great time & I just added a few more "must-sees" to November trip!

C
Chippy posted on Sun, May 1, 2011 5:01 PM

It looks like a great time was had by all.

The word on the scanner was a gangly guy was crawling in an inappropriate location. Then there was something about homeland security. But I am glad no one had to call a bail bondsman or use a get lurid jail free card.

I am looking forward to the next one, as I hope I can get the weekend off work.

Great photos!!

C

Thanks so much to John-O for organizing this nautical crawl! He is a master planner and a born organizer, and made things go smoothly. It was a real blast!

I'm now hoisting a virtual mai tai (the Galley's, not the Warehouse's) to John-O!

Caltiki Brent

Thank you John-O for a great crawl, I got to explore some places that I had should have long ago.
Great photos, Cap Falernum! (OK, Dusty Cajun too)
Here is some urban archeology from my camera:

The Captain of the Cruise:

The fearless crew in front of the marooned space ship of Don The Beachcomber's:

(Al was still toiling in the Beachcomber's rigging, and Murph was temporarily lost in action)

The first Port of Call:

Tiki crawlers in uniform:

(We see first signs of the incessant Christmas light infestation that seems to have spread throughout vintage dive bars)

Happy sailors in front of the window to the Henry Kissinger Room:

NOT Henry Kissinger!:

Chinese lighthouse lamp?:

Seeking refuge from the glaring Pacific sun below deck:

Giant Tridacna clam washed ashore outside the brig:

Some urban islands we passed en route to our next landing point:

Permission to board THE GALLEY:

...with a boatload of TIKI TOURISTS!:

The cocktail hour:

The Galley actually has lotsa bamboo...

...and cool fishnet float lamps:

...but, as can be witnessed in some of Cap Falernum's photos above, the Christmas light scurvy has run so rampant here that it is actually as hard for the human eye as for the camera to see the cool decor details on the walls and ceiling!

So I made it my mission to excavate some of these elements hidden under the light string jungle:

There are some South Seas Belles:

...and evidence of forgotten pagan rituals:

Original (Christian's Hut) Mutiny on the Bounty pieces...

...and Pacific War Veteran posters (as mentioned by John-O):

Blowfish chandeliers...

...bar wisdom signs...

...and nice men's room pin ups with a port hole mirror:

The question that remains is: What came first, the cocktail napkin or the belly tattoo?:

Now that is customer loyalty!

OK, I have to take a break and get this posted before it possibly freezes and I loose it all...

NEXT: Don's UFO, Burt Hixson's place, and NO evidence of Pieces of Eight

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-05-01 21:35 ]

HT

Thank you JOHN-O for the great day exploring bars and exploring the vintage Southern California as it use to be. Can't wait until the the next tour.

Thanks to John O,
that was a lot of Fun.
although there are barely any pics of me,
I was there.

we were bummed we had to take off early.
we stopped by the Warehouse for about 15 min.
but had to leave back to OC before anyone arrived at the Warehouse.

Can't wait for the Tiki Crawl in Sept.

Jeff(btd)

Oh Jeez...thanks guys for turning the page on my 3 hours of work...

sorry Sven,
it happens to me sometimes too.

Jeff(btd)

On 2011-05-01 20:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank you John-O for a great crawl, I got to explore some places that I had should have long ago.
Great photos, Cap Falernum! (OK, Dusty Cajun too)
Here is some urban archeology from my camera:

(Al was still toiling in the Beachcomber's rigging, and Murph was temporarily lost in action)

The first Port of Call:

Tiki crawlers in uniform:

(We see first signs of the incessant Christmas light infestation that seems to have spread throughout vintage dive bars)

Happy sailors in front of the window to the Henry Kissinger Room:

NOT Henry Kissinger!:

Chinese lighthouse lamp?:

Seeking refuge from the glaring Pacific sun below deck:

Giant Tridacna clam washed ashore outside the brig:

Some urban islands we passed en route to our next landing point:

Permission to board THE GALLEY:

...with a boatload of TIKI TOURISTS!:

The cocktail hour:

The Galley actually has lotsa bamboo...

...and cool fishnet float lamps:

...but, as can be witnessed in some of Cap Falernum's photos above, the Christmas light scurvy has run so rampant here that it is actually as hard for the human eye as for the camera to see the cool decor details on the walls and ceiling!

So I made it my mission to excavate some of these elements hidden under the light string jungle:

There are some South Seas Belles:

...and evidence of forgotten pagan rituals:

Original (Christian's Hut) Mutiny on the Bounty pieces...

...and Pacific War Veteran posters (as mentioned by John-O):

Blowfish chandeliers...

...bar wisdom signs...

...and nice men's room pin ups with a port hole mirror:

The question that remains is: What came first, the cocktail napkin or the belly tattoo?:

Now that is customer loyalty!

OK, I have to take a break and get this posted before it possibly freezes and I loose it all...

NEXT: Don's UFO, Burt Hixson's place, and NO evidence of Pieces of Eight

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-05-01 21:35 ]

great Pics Sven,
thanks for posting.

Jeff(btd)

HT

Great pictures Sven, enjoyed looking at them. It is interesting watching people take pictures at events.
A picture is worth a 1000 words.

P
PolyD posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 7:58 AM

It was nice meeting all of you! I have never attended an event like this. I just joined the forum so that I can learn more about the TIKI culture and such. It was so wonderful to meet such a diverse group of indivuals that were so warming and welcoming. I want to learn as much as I can about TIKI and would love to meet all of you again. I was the newcomer with her brother telescopes. If my smoke buddy is reading this, contact me. Hey Dexter, contact me so we can finish our discussion! I can't wait to do more of these crawls. :) Thanks, to the man that sponsored this.

And I was taking a bathroom break!

CA

And I was taking a bathroom break!

ya... i knew i stepped in something running through those bushes....

Great TIME again Mr.O!!!

I felt safe with you at the helm....

great folks

great places... i like the trip around the world

[img]

TT

Great photos everyone! Here's some more to add to the mix from Chez Jay...

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 9:48 AM

Great pics, thanks everyone. You guys do better justice to the dark interiors than my novice "point and shoot" flash would.

What I really want to see however, is that property manager yelling at Crazy Al as he was running around on the roof of the MDR Don's UFO building. Surely someone got a shot of that. :)

Also I'm looking forward to the Bigbro's urban archeology take on the Warehouse and especially Shanghai Red's.

C

As a skipper, he is much more Dennis Connor than Alan Hale Jr. All tacking and jibing maneuvers went smoothly--even when most of the crew was three or four sheets to the wind!

Caltiki Brent

C

This declaration contains a statement I had overlooked until now: "On the End of the Pier - Santa Monica, Calif."

Did the Galley indeed start life on the end of Santa Monica pier, then relocate to solid land in Ocean Park? Or is that just a hyperbolic phrase? If it did relocate, what year did that take place?

Caltiki Brent

Looks like a fun time. Wish I could have stayed for the weekend.

TT

Here's some of my shots from the Galley...

My creepy "funhouse mirror" shot.

Hangin' out the the Galley's patio.

M
Murph posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 4:38 PM

John.... THANKS!
What an excellent time!
The bars were a blast but the best part was the awesome group of crawlers you assembled!
This upbeat group could have made a LA Mortuary Crawl fun!

[ Edited by: murph 2011-05-02 21:38 ]

Excellent report for those of us not there! Happychi and myself had a previous engagement. Next time! I live walkin' distance from the Galley!

P
PolyD posted on Tue, May 3, 2011 7:05 AM

A morturary crawl??? That's just cool!!!!

C

On 2011-05-02 16:38, Murph wrote:
John.... THANKS!
What an excellent time!
The bars were a blast but the best part was the awesome group of crawlers you assembled!
This upbeat group could have made a LA Mortuary Crawl fun!

[ Edited by: murph 2011-05-02 21:38 ]

Well, considering we weren't all that far away from Westwood Memorial Park (Marilyn Monroe), Holy Cross Cemetery (Bela Lugosi, Bing Crosby) and Hillside Memorial Park (Al Jolson, Jack Benny, George Burns), that might indeed be a fun crawl!

Holy Cross has a grotto area near the graves of Bing "Waikiki Wedding" Crosby and Bela "Island of Lost Souls" Lugosi, which might even be semi-poly-pop (if you replace the Catholic statuary with Tikis).

There's an Al Jolson statue at Hillside that might make for a good photo op:

This is also the Jolson memorial -- not to give Crazy Al any ideas or anything:

Caltiki Brent

TT

Oh but wait, here's more photos from Don's...

Secret tapa stash...

JOHN-O, which way do we go?

Thanks PolyD, you got Sven and me in the photo...but still, no Adrian.

"Hey, keep it quite down there!"

Al, you soooo CRAZY!!!

"Ah ah ee ee tooky tooky."

"Ah ah ee ee tooky tooky."

Thanks PolyD...We're on the way to the Warehouse...

CA

unlike the president, Tom decided to release these photos....

really, just trying out some ideas for statuary around this place, when a TCer buys it and brings it back up to speed.... Yaki-Tavern??? Yaki-Hut.... i like it.

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies