Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Hula Girls with Dick Dale @ The Coachchouse 8/13/11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies

Don's is releasing their brand new tee shirt line, this Friday night, and we're both playing! Hopefully Soccer Tiki can provide more details about the event, all I know is when I'm supposed to show up and bring The Hula Girls' hulabilly goodness to the stage.
Aloha!

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2011-03-29 09:23 ]

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2011-05-26 12:03 ]

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2011-06-13 09:50 ]

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2011-06-20 21:43 ]

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2011-06-30 21:29 ]

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2011-07-10 10:18 ]

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2011-07-19 09:52 ]

SWEET!!

Oh, and take THAT Dr. Z! Hehe...

april fools....

DZ

On 2011-03-28 18:25, RevBambooBen wrote:
april fools....

Ben and I surf the same wavelength...

TM

That's 'cause yer Val Kooks! This ain't NO Joke! Both bands Are playing.

On 2011-03-28 19:20, lucas vigor wrote:
That's 'cause yer Val Kooks! This ain't NO Joke! Both bands Are playing.

do you not live in FooLerton Lucas?

Val Kook.

If I come, should I wear a fez.

WooHoo!! What a way to start the weekend... from 7-11 p.m. -- Both The Smokin' Menehunes and The Hula Girls will be performing in the Hidden Village and High Chief's Room! The first 100 shirts sold get a COMPLIMENTARY DON'S DRINK! Don't miss it!

J

You know what would really be interesting?

Have the Smokin' Menehunes play the Hidden Village at the same time the Hula Girls are playing the High Chief's Room.

Ha. ha. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-03-28 21:14 ]

Only if their(bong, and Lucas's) doppelgangers are there,
could that happen.

Jeff(btd)

TM

That'sn interesting idea, John-o! Very Charles Ives!

Will the Hula Girls be adding even more band members this time? :wink:

You could call it "The Hula Girls Orchestra"

Hey Lucas - More Cowbell!

[ Edited by: Jungle Ginger 2011-03-29 01:09 ]

TM

Ginger, I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else...the difference is, when I put my pants on...I make GOLD RECORDS!

No kidding! Last weekend, we had upright bass, drums, steel guitar, my electric guitar, Lucas on the bongos and other percussion, Crazy Al and his buddy banging on stuff, Jim from the Nocturnes on the sax-uh-ma-phone, and Lapu Rocker and Dr. Z, in the corner singing to eachother. The Hula Girls' Big Band! I'm sure it'll be another big show this weekend!

Can't wait to see how the tees came out!
I'll also be selling the posters that I printed up for last week, if you didn't get one yet, they're going fast!

On 2011-03-29 07:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Ginger, I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else...the difference is, when I put my pants on...I make GOLD RECORDS!

I'm still trying to figure this one out.
:o

Jeff(btd)

Big Tiki Dude wants to know what happens when the pants come off.

Could one assume...wait for it...PLATINUM????

[ Edited by: Jungle Ginger 2011-03-30 00:12 ]

TM

I am glad at least YOU understand!

BTD.....WAKE UP!!!!

are you 2 talking dirty talk?
tsk tsk.

Jeff(btd)

More Cowbell!

TM

I have a feeling jeff doesn't watch a lot of TV...so he really has no idea what we are talking about.

Jeff, you should really think about getting a TV for your cabin in the woods. Even the Unabomber eventually bought one.

This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUqfxHKQmVI

Couldn't find the original clip anywhere, I'm guessing due to copyright issues.

"I've got a FEVER and the only perscription is MORE COWBELL"

-Bruce Dickinson

ok I know the skit, but I didn't know about the monologue before they start playing.

pssssh.
Everybody knows Bruce Dickinson is the singer for Iron Maiden,
not a producer.

as semi funny as that skit was/is,
its still ain't no 70's SNL.
I remember watching that when I was a little kid.

soooo
Back to the show thread.
who's going?

Jeff(btd)

Looks like ATP and I will be there...with COWbells on! :lol:

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2011 8:25 AM

On 2011-03-31 18:33, bigtikidude wrote:
pssssh.
not a producer.

Iron Maiden ??

I knew it. :)

So what was BigTikiDude like before he discovered Tiki culture and Surf music. See if you can pick him out in this video (when he was just a young Medium Dude)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRCVm-1r2k

Looks like this is gonna be another one of The Hula Girls' BIG SHOWS! We'll have the usual cast of characters on stage, as well as Lucas Vigor on the assorted percussion, Jim Frias (from the 1960's surf band, The Nocturnes) sitting in on some saxophone, and hopefully, we'll get Crazy Al us there, playing some coconuts or something too!! Hope you can make the scene, tonight at Dons!

TM

Yeah! It's gonna be EPIC!

And Crazy Al....bring your own nuts tonight! I can't stand anyone but my gal touching mine! :) :)

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2011 1:59 PM

On 2011-04-01 13:22, Luckydesigns wrote:
Looks like this is gonna be another one of The Hula Girls' BIG SHOWS!...

SOLD !! Good timing. I just happen to be on that side of the Orange Curtain today. :)

TM

Well Sir, you are in for a double treat then! Menehunes, Hula Girls....

only thing better would be if we could get the Tikiyaki in there too! (Hint Hint!) But at the rate we are going....the Hula Girls is almost as physically large a band now as they are! (So now that I think about it, screw them AND their evil leader Jim! :):) ) More for us MWUHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-04-01 14:24 ]

On 2011-03-31 18:33, bigtikidude wrote:
ok I know the skit, but I didn't know about the monologue before they start playing.

pssssh.
not a producer.

as semi funny as that skit was/is,
its still ain't no 70's SNL.
I remember watching that when I was a little kid.

soooo
Back to the show thread.
who's going?

Jeff(btd)

It's a different Bruce Dickinson, evidently he was the one that produced the original "Don't Fear The Reaper".

TM

On 2011-04-01 14:05, lucas vigor wrote:
Well Sir, you are in for a double treat then! Menehunes, Hula Girls....

only thing better would be if we could get the Tikiyaki in there too! (Hint Hint!) But at the rate we are going....the Hula Girls is almost as physically large a band now as they are! (So now that I think about it, screw them AND their evil leader Jim! :):) ) More for us MWUHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Frank, do you know what a hasa is?.... It's a pig that don' fly right"

WooHooooo! What a Way to start the Weekend.... The Smokin Menehunes, The Hula Girls, & Crazy Al on the coconuts at Don the Beachcomber :)

J

What a fantastic show !! Spike and Co. got a banquet table full of nice Catholic school girls so hot and bothered they all left in mass to go lose their innocence. And it was a good thing too, they were sitting in our seats !!

Jim Frias and Lucas Ligor really took the Hula happenings to another higher level. I hope to see them regularly in the future.

And the SMs as usual were old-school cool. The next time I need to be more sober to enjoy my favorite song of theirs.

TM

You meant, "Lucas Liquor", right? :)

Why do I get soooooo drunk?

Good Music,
Good People
and they had my size shirt in the color I wanted
resulting in a great evening.

TK

What a blast! We were so bummed to miss the Menehunes, but Friday nights are really tough for us, and we weren't able to wrap up work early enough to be there by 7:00. I see from the photos that they must have had a guest vocalist sit in for a spell, which would have been great to see.

The Hula Girls put on an incredible show!!! Dare I say my favorite show from them? Just some special energy happenin' up on that stage. Jim, Lucas and Al sitting in are tons of fun, and the guest drummer Doug kills it, but even Spike and the core members had a little extra somethin somethin goin on. Kinda magical, I thought, and I heard a few others say the same. Bong's slick new haircut and Christian's cool new shirt didn't hurt. wolf whistle Looking good, boys!

I vote that we invite that girls' softball team to all shows at Don's from here on out. In fact, I'll reserve the best table for them when Thee Swank Bastards come back around.

Trev bought two t-shirts - brown and black. They're super cool in person with the metallic touch on the graphics. Did everyone get the word that The Hula Girls' very own Spike designed the shirt?!? Nicely done! We have the poster he did with that same logo and it's our favorite. I'd like to make one suggestion; Art - will you please consider a baby-doll tee version for us girls, or a tank top? I know so many of us would wear it with pride. :)

One last thing - big props to our waitress in the High Chief's Room! It was only her 6th day on the job, and she was great. I wish I had gotten her name, but I'm sure y'all know who I'm talking about - gorgeous brunette with an equally appealing disposition. We look forward to seeing her as part of the Don's team.

Until next time....cheers!

TM

Thanks!

Yeah, that was a great evening of killer music! That waitress....wow....another good reason to come back to Don's! If you had a sharp eye, you would have seen all the band member's heads turning at the same time each time she passed in front of us...just like at a tennis match, but in slow motion!

I liked Bong's fresh new haircut too....but what about mine? Since I started playing with an orchestra, I have adopted that "PBS" look.....weird-ass scraggly beard...full side flanks/shields of hair on each side...just like a college professor!

I am so over trying to look cool. Now I just roll with it!

Glad that everyone noticed that the Hula Girls were re-energized at some point in the evening.
They were feeding off of ATP's intense sexual energy. :wink:

Lucas - you may look like a PBS host, but you have one thing they never will - Rhythm.
Time to get you a turtleneck, tweed jacket with elbow patches and a pipe.
At the next Hula Girl fund drive - we will take the $50 package with the dvd and t-shirt. :lol:

HT

Thanks heavens for the big "V" for ATP and AARP.

TM

Yeah baby! PBS!

THIS Saturday night!

Just when you thought you could rest up from the Tiki Caliente mission, another AGENT ALERT!
The Hula Girls at HQ (Don's) Saturday Night 9pm in the Dagger Bar! Then Memorial Day Monday for TC night!

It's an Agent of T.I.K.I. Double Dip weekend!
Did someone use the "T.I.K.I. Sonic Gun" to bring down the A-Frame at the Caliente Tropics this last weekend?
I don't remember anyone calling for weapons hot! I guess you guys will use any excuse to play with your Spy Toy's. :wink:

So lets pack the place & take no prisoners!

End communication mode, Number Six and Nine out.

[ Edited by: Jungle Ginger 2011-05-26 12:33 ]

DZ

Agent 5, temporarily freed up from the weekday constraints of his "institutional learning facility", will break his deep cover and be in attendance.

Expect the presence and/or distribution of highly-experimental, independently-produced, chemical 'mood lifting' packets, available for indoctrinated agents and guinea pigs alike.

TM

I'll be there with brass knuckles on!

With bells on!

Big Bump!

DZ

Looking forward to meeting you, Chuck - I've heard so much about you!

(Maybe Jungle Ginger will even make you an Agent!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies