Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mojave Oasis Tent and Trailer Crawl, April 15 & April 16

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

Have a great time everyone. Tiki Tammy and I wish we could be there with ya, I will in spirit(s).

See ya all at Caliente!!!!

DZ

On 2011-04-13 23:50, Babalu wrote:

Hmmm... I'm getting the weirdest feeling...

like I'M supposed to drink this rum...

some sort of subliminal message or something...

I dunno what it is...

I dunno what it is...

Don't do it!

B

I dunno what it is...

Well, it does have your name on it. I say go for it.

Hey thank you Queen K....here's a little 1 of a kind set from Squid and I.

Can't wait!! Packing is hell...I want to be there already! :)

E

That mug set is amazing, Rick!!

WooHoo & Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to All of The T-N-T Hosts who All went Over and Beyond their Call of Duty to Provide us all with Thirst Quenching Beverages & Treats.

And the Winners were................

Best Cocktail : RedPatti & TikiTuna

Best Campsite: Rumdog

Best Trailer: MrSmiley & Inkylouise

I

Wonderful time and well worth the drive.

I

A few snaps:

I

A few more:

We had such a great time! Thanks to all the other hosts, and to everybody who stopped by our site for some Monkey Thrust!

T

Thank you to all that stopped by the "Cowabunga Bungalow" for some "Pipeline Punch" We had a great time hosting & meeting new people.
Mike & Karen

RD

Rum Dog was feeling no pain during the crawl. (Actually the Monkey Thrust rocket fuel did cause a little)

RD

Thanks to everyone who stopped by the Bird Lagoon Saloon and sampled our “Parrot Piss”. We appreciated all the nice compliments we received about our campsite and signature drink. It was a very enjoyable experience.

RD

Thank you WooHoo Wahine for posting some crawl pics for us.

We love this picture. Parrot Piss was a little dirty.

Soooo....

When will we see more pictures of the actual trailer interiors!? We have seen Smiley and Inky's Astrochimp lounge, which rightfully won the prize. Their follow thru on a unique concept was stellar, starting with the cocktail:

...complete with vintage space monkey footage...

....the supposed recipe for the drink on the counter...

...and other ephemera in the theme:

Only thing that was missing was a "Moon Islander" menu!

But I know that there were many people who stayed in the Polynesian pop theme with full floor-to-ceiling travel Polynesias, and they deserve some recognition too. Unfortunately, I was too overwhelmed with all the other great sights to visit and document these Tiki palaces - even though they were right next to me, like Tuna Tiki and Red Patti's amazing work of art on wheels:

...or down the alley, HipHipHula's '65 trailer. All I got to shoot was her cool '65 "Vista Cruiser":

..with its amazing panorama roof!:

So I am saying here: Don't be sore that a spaced out concept won, show of your proud works of trailer kitsch here and now!
I wanna see bamboo beds, bathrooms and boudoirs - with some details please! :)

Not to distract from my post above:

While waiting for some visual Tiki trailer treats, please indulge me by sharing a little of my own trailer trash past: Not the cool restored vintage trailer kind, but my early American years as that wild & crazy MOTORHOME MAN from Germany !

I had not driven one of these in almost 30 years:

Knowing that a rental RV was COMPLETELY UNCOOL in the vintage trailer and roughing-it camper crowd, I didn't even try to turn it into something unique. But for me personally, it was a trip down memory lane:

Here I am in 1981, much skinnier and darker-haired, with the Marin RV Rentals crew in San Rafael:

I'm the dapper guy in the blue jacket

I later worked for Chase Motorhomes, and when I moved down to L.A., for American Landcruisers in Manhattan Beach:
There I got my first work shirt with a stitched name tag:

Now I really felt like an American, these were not just some fake bowling shirt insignia !

The fun part about the job ( other than showing German tourists how to flush their poo ) was that I got to drive-away sold motorhomes up to Tacoma, all the way thru Oregon:

...and that I got to take out an R.V. over the weekend for myself on occasion. So I would check out a 16 mm camera at the S.F. Art Institute filmaking department (where I was a student) and pack up some friends and drive somewhere and make little art films:

...or I would drive down to L.A. and entertain such luminaries as Tequila Mockingbird and Mark Mothersbaugh ! :

R.V.s were the stretch limos of their day! :)

Behold, for example, the stylish "E.Z.-Ryder" on a Toyota chassis! :D :

Thank you for viewing some samples of my Pre-Tiki R.V. Rental life. Now back to the cool stuff.

Oh, here's the only decorating we did around our camper at Mo-asis:

This was provided by nature, right outside our front door, Naomi just added the candy :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-21 14:29 ]

TT

I got some interior pics of our favorite bar on wheels at Mo-asis, Melanie & HipHiPaHulA's Hideaway...

Wunnerful! This is where a wide angle comes in handy. That red Hamilton Beach top blender is a real beauty !

On 2011-04-21 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Not to distract from my post above:

While waiting for some visual Tiki trailer treats, please indulge me by sharing a little of my own trailer trash past: Not the cool restored vintage trailer kind, but my early American years as that wild & crazy MOTORHOME MAN from Germany !

I had not driven one of these in almost 30 years:

Knowing that a rental RV was COMPLETELY UNCOOL in the vintage trailer and roughing-it camper crowd, I didn't even try to turn it into something unique. But for me personally, it was a trip down memory lane:

Here I am in 1981, much skinnier and darker-haired, with the Marin RV Rentals crew in San Rafael:

I'm the dapper guy in the blue jacket

I later worked for Chase Motorhomes, and when I moved down to L.A., for American Landcruisers in Manhattan Beach:
There I got my first work shirt with a stitched name tag:

Now I really felt like an American, these were not just some fake bowling shirt insignia !

The fun part about the job ( other than showing German tourists how to flush their poo ) was that I got to drive-away sold motorhomes up to Tacoma, all the way thru Oregon:

...and that I got to take out an R.V. over the weekend for myself on occasion. So I would check out a 16 mm camera at the S.F. Art Institute filmaking department (where I was a student) and pack up some friends and drive somewhere and make little art films:

...or I would drive down to L.A. and entertain such luminaries as Tequila Mockingbird and Mark Mothersbaugh ! :

R.V.s were the stretch limos of their day! :)

Behold, for example, the stylish "E.Z.-Ryder" on a Toyota chassis! :D :

Thank you for viewing some samples of my Pre-Tiki R.V. Rental life. Now back to the cool stuff.

Oh, here's the only decorating we did around our camper at Mo-asis:

This was provided by nature, right outside our front door, Naomi just added the candy :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-21 14:29 ]

Awesome stuff Sven! :)

P

Looks like I am not the only one who travels with Good n' Plenty.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2011-04-21 17:40 ]

great photos Sven!

On 2011-04-21 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:

Way cool! As you can tell from my TC name i have always been a fan of Devo. Bet you have plenty of good road trip stories.

We had to sign up to be in all the contests? Darn.... :roll:

Great quality photos Tom & Sven wow :) you make everything look great!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies