Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

ladies of tiki swap - IMPORTANT NOTE - pg.9!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies

No rum for you. A steady hand will help you finish this piece, good job, please keep posting photos, Wendy

OK Wendy, steady hands and a fine point brush makes for happy tiki art!

Zerotiki, good depth on the tiki and a great idea. The tiki is enjoying her embrace too much. Are you going to paint her skirt? It's not fair to do be done so fast. I think you should do a MadDogMike and keep doing more and let your swap partner choose. Then you will have them for Oasis sales.

Are you really in Napa? Do you know SavageTiki - Eric?

Wendy

Z

Oh, I'm not done yet...
:wink:

Inspired by your Bobbie!

I might know savage tiki...I know an Eric or 2, & I just moved back...

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2011-04-15 22:23 ]

Z

Just curious... how is it going out there? I am curious as to progress!

Hi ZeroTiki, I'm working some today while doing my Bob projects. My project is called Twins. Cheers, Wendy

T

I'm actually doing a little research for my piece so it may be awhile before I can show anything.

I'm in...

I can't wait to see the goodies you guys'll be serving up!
Here's a touch more progress.

Ah, the look of love...

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2011-04-19 10:51 ]

C
cy posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2011 12:49 PM

I have progressed to the idea stage. Will do a one off screen print on hawaiian fabric, then framed. Will post sketches soon. Great work so far zero.

[ Edited by: cy 2011-04-19 12:50 ]

Welp, I suppose I'll be "in" on this one, too. I just gotta figgure out what to do. I just got me a new chainsaw.
Hmmmmm.....

A l'il more touching up on the ladies...

I told ya I'd get to that skirt! After a bit more detail, I'll most likely start another...It is like a can-can of tiki!
~Zero

Hi ZeroTiki, way to go!
My project for the swap is called twins. One is shy and one is not. Here's how they look today.

I'll be finishing them off with cold paint and hula skirts. They are the same sculpture I did for my Missionary's Downfall Bowl and the girl who caused it.
Gecko is making them, note his necklace around her neck. I think he sent her to the Missionary's.

Cheers, Wendy

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2011 4:52 PM

Lookin' great Wendy! I definitely like the un-shy twin best.

Z

Holy schneikies! Those are great!

Z

Bumpitty

Is there still time to get in on this here swaperoo?

Life has been keeping me busy & I hadn't checked in here for a week or so. It's nice to see that Zerotiki & Wendy have been making glorious progress. Zerotiki, I just love watching your beauties develop & Wendy, the twins idea is an interesting approach. hmmm..... I am still in research mode, but hope to have a firm plan by early next week after returning from the weekend in Virginia for my middle daughter's surprise 30th birthday party (shh! lol).
~kele

Z

consider yourself in,
artosaurus!

I think I got an idea for what I want to make. I don't think I've seen anything like it, I think I'd enjoy something like it myself, it will exactly fit into the theme and I think I'll have fun making it. Perfect!

Z

Can't wait to see what you have planned, Bongo!
Keep up the great work (as always), Wendy!
Looking forward to seeing all of the cool wahine inspired goodiness!

~Zero

What I'm thinking of is a crocheted figure of a hula girl as a tribute to my aunt who made braided yarn dolls for me when I was little. My Dad was in stationed on Oahu during World War II & I feel a definite connection there. Oh, yeah, & the hula girl is gonna have nice big titties, too.
Does that sound okay?
~kele

Z

Can't wait to see your offering, Kele!
~Zero

Weekly bumpitty

C
cy posted on Tue, May 31, 2011 9:27 PM

Here is a sketch of Pele Lani. Since she is the goddess of fire, lightening, dance, volcanoes and the moon I tried to incorporate as much as possible. The ohelo berry is considered sacred so those can be seen coming out of the top of the volcano. She has 13 siblings and are represented by the dancers around her middle. I will ink it in, cut 4 colors and screen print it on the fabric pictured.

Z

Wowzers! What a great start!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 6:33 PM

SNEAK PREVIEW!!!

Here's my art-swap piece near completion - oils on black velvet - my take on Burke Tyree's 1974 classic painting titled "Pilisi" (ref. pg.59 in the book "Black Velvet Masterpieces" by Baldwin & Anderson.)

I'm calling my black velvet painting "Burke's Babe" in honor of one of the masters...

I will be mounting this velvet painting on a flat canvas panel and then finishing with a hand-made bamboo frame.

I hope you dig-it!! I'm diggin' all entries shown so far - all this great art is fantastic (as usual!)Cheers! G

GOOD JOB SHE LOOKS SO REAL I WANT TO PUT A TOP ON HER BUT I KNOW YOU GUYS WOULD OBJECT!

Z

Our own little NSFW thread...It's all grown up now!

TikiG, she's beautiful!
~kele

More cool art from TikiG! (how'd the garage sale go?)

bumpin'.

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Jun 11, 2011 8:22 AM

Thanks tiki peeps for the positive comments - she looks much better in person - in the flesh, of course!!

MDM - Garage sale was good, Thanks for asking!!

Who's next for posting a progress pic? I want to see MORE!! Cheers! G

C
cy posted on Mon, Jun 13, 2011 9:39 PM

Beautiful work TikiG! I used a rapidograph to ink Pele Lani on a frosted acetate. I can go directly to a screen from this. I would have finished but I ran out of ink covering her breastisiz. Will reload, then hand cut 3 other colors, make screens, and print.

Looks good Cy, can you tell us more about the process? I used to do screen printed shirts, is it similar?

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 14, 2011 5:24 PM

Thanks MDM I have owned a t shirt printing business since 1979 so you got it right on. I will be printing a piece of fabric with 4 colors, so 4 screens are needed-one for each color. The screens are frames stretched tight with a polyester fabric (they used to use silk back in the day which is why it was called silk screen printing) and then they are coated with a light sensitive emulsion. The artwork is added to the coated frame and exposed to a high intensity light source which hardens the emulsion everywhere but your artwork area, which is washed out with water. What you then have is your polyester completely blocked out except your image area. The screen is then taped off so ink does not go anywhere but through the image area. Ink is then applied to the screen and pulled through with a squeegee. I do this every day, yet is hard to explain. It is an interesting process which is why I chose it for this project and will try to take pictures as I progress to give everyone a better understanding.

Z

That is really interesting. I have always thought screening was a fascinating marriage of art and technique
...but then again, that's what art is, right?

I figured picking the best of 3 would be kinda fun, so here's the newest, a painted vinyl blank using heavy body acrylic:
STAGE ONE:

~Zero

ZeroTiki, I'm back. I've finished the Twins. One is naughty and one is nice. I still have to bake them to set the cold paint but other than that I'm done. So here they are waiting to trade to a new home. These are completely my design from sculpt to the end. Well, Gecko did make the mold in Hawaii and shipped my original back with it. Cheers, Wendy

Z

Wowzers, Wendy! A wonderful contribution, as alwas! I am hoping that the lack of all caps means that your arm is better, even though you still blew me away with your southpaw work!
OK, so I have decide to do a "Best of' contribution. Swapee gets to choose one of the following:
Tiki Love:

Mrs. Bobbolina:

Or Vinyl Wahine:

Bamboo mats ar 12" X 16", Vinyl figure blank i appx. 3 1/2" tall.
~Zero

Hey Zero, Dan gets to choose if you are my swap partner. I just work for Dan. You have been busy having fun, don't stop there's time for more! The best part is watching the art get posted.

Yep I can now type with both hands. I'm in Physical therapy. I can't drive or lift more than 1 pound but a paintbrush is far less than that. So it's time for me to get back to some light art.

Thank you for starting the swap. Without you this may not have happened. Hewey ought to a least put some art up here. He was my swap partner last time. Come on Hewey.

Cheers, Wendy

Z

I've been chunkin' away at stuff for the Oasis, to...I've got close to 40 pieces in progress right now! Whew!
Posted 'em to my website, so as not to clog the TC arteries...
It is really great to hear you are feeling a bit more complete. :D
~Zero

Z

Okay, I am in stage one of my 4th piece, "Touch of Pele". 5" square acrylic/canvas

She's got that tiki burnin' UP!

..She looks unhappy. Let's pep her up a bit!

~Zero

Visit Zerotiki!

[[[((8-0))]]]
The Super Secret Sigil of The Electric Tiki Society(tm)

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2011-07-01 12:45 ]

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2011-07-01 18:08 ]

Zero, I love the concept of using a bamboo mat as the canvas, those turned out good.

PS - I think I've felt the touch of Pele!

Z

Thanks, Mike! I will have some more mats (as well as the swap items not chosen) at my Oasis table this year! C'mon by and see them in the fesh! Well, in the bamboo....

Z

Weekly bump...
So, 3 weeks left, campers! Give or take...

UPDATE: Am reworking the wahine in touch of Pele, as she loked more incan:

...and reworking the figure as well...someone called it a "Tiki Tranny", and so I am trying to make the features more feminine:

~Zero

[ Edited by: zerotiki 2011-07-09 09:44 ]

C
cy posted on Sat, Jul 9, 2011 10:46 PM

I wanted to take you on a step by step lesson on screen printing but realized it would take to much space. Pictured below is the printing press I used with the four screens that hold each color. You can barely see the fabric that was just printed.

And here she is, just needing a frame.

[ Edited by: cy 2011-07-09 22:47 ]

Wow, Cy...
That's ALOT of work! GOOD work, at that!
Super-Nice...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 173 replies