Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies

I chalk this year up to tequila. Nobody seems to have "good" tequila stories. Things go from good to horrible real quick.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2011 9:08 PM

Holy Guacamole, where's the pictures of all the hot gals?

I mean, REALLY!!!!

Next year I'm making it my honorable sworn duty to take pictures of every single hot woman on the grounds and...

POST THEM HERE!

J

On 2011-09-07 21:08, Cammo wrote:
Holy Guacamole, where's the pictures of all the hot gals?

I mean, REALLY!!!!

Next year I'm making it my honorable sworn duty to take pictures of every single hot woman on the grounds and...

POST THEM HERE!

Maybe you'll find what you seek on this thread.

On 2011-08-23 12:14, Big Vic wrote:
Not to get carried away with this rooster thing. But I brought a rooster to the event as well. Here is the way to show off your cock! No animals got hurt in the making of this tattoo!

My rooster goes everywhere with me and if you have a problem with that, then take it up with the ASPCA. Pico is a VERY happy and spoiled rooster (Sleeps in my shower) and was NEVER hurt or scared the whole time he was with me-in fact SLEPT in my arms the whole time. I do see your concerns, though, and Pico appreciates it as well. Loving animals is good, and being from Petaluma, how could you NOT know about chickens. PPP, baby. I used to fix their doors when I lived in Santa Rosa, neighbor.

And you think me being excluded is good on these terms? Not cool, baby. Being excluded next year because I didn't get the hotels permission AND Pico decided to sound off all morning.....Now THAT I can agree with. Ill be at the Bali Hai next year, so you can come tell me how disappointed you were in person. And stop calling me "Rooster Guy". I am Billy the Crud. Tiki Carver, intellectual, and guy who can be your best friend if n you don't take a large crap on me. Mahalo.

On another note, I REALLY appreciate everyone that stuck up for me and Emailed Otto on my behalf, but the plain and simple fact is that I made a boo boo and it needs to be shown that there are consequences for gumming up the works of a large event and depriving folks of their much needed rest with noisey farm animals. Otto and I both agreed that a one year exclusion was more than fair and that's whats been done. Be happy about it, but don't be celebratin', ya bastards. I'm only outta your hair for a year!

Ive been silent on this so long because it needed to die, but Pico and I are truly sorry we woke you up when you were all hung over.

BV

Apology accepted. I know your name. I met you years ago through Jarv. I called you "Rooster guy" because I didn't want to announce your name all over the web. That , I think, would be wrong. Those who didn't get effected or didn't have any business knowing your name, I figured, shouldn't know it. I still think bringing any pet to that noisy atmosphere was wrong. BUT you don't have to care at all what I think. See you in two years.

On 2011-10-01 22:11, Big Vic wrote:
Apology accepted. I know your name. I met you years ago through Jarv. I called you "Rooster guy" because I didn't want to announce your name all over the web. That , I think, would be wrong. Those who didn't get effected or didn't have any business knowing your name, I figured, shouldn't know it. I still think bringing any pet to that noisy atmosphere was wrong. BUT you don't have to care at all what I think. See you in two years.

Whats Jarv?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9USMCgKUBEc

http://www.DonTheBeachcomber.com

"Marriage, Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-10-02 10:53 ]

That girl had a rabbit on her head.

T

Aloha from me..Tiki Omar! I have been invited to carve at my first Tiki Oasis which was Oasis08, and since then I made it to Oasis09, Oasis10, and now Oasis11. I want to acknowledge all the of aloha spirited ohana whom I am proud to see every
year at Oasis like Tiki Tony and his wife which are a great couple of people, Mieko and her folks always make it a joy to
be a part of the big event,Hodad Hank-Eric The Red-Antoinette of The Freaky Boutiki San Diego, also a big mahalo to
BigToe for being an excellent source of inspiration and wisdom. I even saw Heath this year working behind the seen lending
a helpful hand. It was good for me to see Dave aka SQUID by the end of this years Tiki Oasis, talk about another wonderful
soul,mahalo brudha, so the list goes on and on.I hope to continue to make new friends and keep in touch with old friends
alike. Jah willing I will be around for next years event and congrats to the master minds of Tiki Oasis, you know who
you are MAHALO NUI LOA!!!

!viva el crud!

MR

On 2011-10-03 19:47, tikiomar wrote:
Aloha from me..Tiki Omar! I have been invited to carve at my first Tiki Oasis which was Oasis08, and since then I made it to Oasis09, Oasis10, and now Oasis11. I want to acknowledge all the of aloha spirited ohana whom I am proud to see every
year at Oasis like Tiki Tony and his wife which are a great couple of people, Mieko and her folks always make it a joy to
be a part of the big event,Hodad Hank-Eric The Red-Antoinette of The Freaky Boutiki San Diego, also a big mahalo to
BigToe for being an excellent source of inspiration and wisdom. I even saw Heath this year working behind the seen lending
a helpful hand. It was good for me to see Dave aka SQUID by the end of this years Tiki Oasis, talk about another wonderful
soul,mahalo brudha, so the list goes on and on.I hope to continue to make new friends and keep in touch with old friends
alike. Jah willing I will be around for next years event and congrats to the master minds of Tiki Oasis, you know who
you are MAHALO NUI LOA!!!

This is the kind of feedback everyone likes to see. Peace with every step Omar, peace with every step.

Aloha, friendly Tiki-O people. This was my first year attending Tiki Oasis, and I had a blast. The whole weekend was steeped in sweet libations and sweeter company. Most of the people in my group were new to the event, but we had a few wise pros with us. Even if we hadn't, though, everyone was so kind and welcoming that we would've had a good time anyway.

I loved having a balcony above the main stage. A couple of us standing a few stories up, mugs in hand, listening to the first few songs in an hours-long Los Straitjackets set. Or waking up in the afternoon and taking in a fashion show without even having to put on shoes. Even just setting up balcony decorations and observing other revelers in their natural environments was great.

The room parties were amazing. With swinging bands, magnanimous hosts, bartenders with generous pouring hands, and droves of friendly tiki people, I didn't mind standing shoulder-to-shoulder. I ended up in some interesting conversations just from being festively crowded.

I don't think I had a single drink that wasn't delicious. I was surprised to see that drinks were poured for little more than tips. I pitched money into the jar every time I grabbed a cup or got my mug filled, but it always seemed like the sharing was the important part.

One of my favorite moments was wandering into Dr. Sketchy's with a couple beers in hand, setting one down next to my friend, and doing life drawings with Marina the Fire-Eating Mermaid as the model. Crazy!

The only downside were the party crashers mentioned earlier in this thread. Our only encounter with them was the infamous elevator ride that ended with them in handcuffs and an innocent bystander in the ER. The story's probably been told before from nearly every conceivable angle, but here's my abbreviated version of it, anyway:

A friend and I were headed back up to the room as things were winding down. We shared an elevator with a very nice woman who would show surprising restraint in the next couple minutes. A few floors up, four drunken louts piled into the elevator, barely standing under their own power and belligerently calling us immature and ugly names. The main lout spent most of the ride a few inches from my face trying to start some form of trouble. We eventually made it to our floor without anyone throwing a punch.

As we stepped off, the underaged drunks made a row of one finger gestures at us. I was relieved to be out of there, so I finally made a hand gesture of my own. It was in response to this that the main lout reached out and slapped my mug (a Tiki Caliente II mug borrowed from a friend) down to the ground, where it shattered and sliced into a girl's leg. I was shocked at how casually he'd destroyed one of my friend's treasures--something I'd been honored to borrow. They seemed pretty pleased by this and started (no joke) barking like seals. I pointed at the main lout and told him he would pay for the mug. He stepped back into the elevator with a "whatcha gonna do about it?" posture while his friends crowded forward, ready to confront me.

Things had changed, though. It dawned on them that they didn't have any friends outside of the elevator. Someone was shouting something about how they'd hurt her friend. The woman from the elevator was pointing at blood on the ground and saying "look what you did." The crowd of people was growing and every single person in that crowd was upset with the louts. It was clear that the drunks in the elevator wanted to go down, but hands and feet were holding the doors open. The louts panicked. They tried to run, but a wall of people in Hawaiian shirts was holding them back. In their confused and drunken state, they were actually pretty easy to corral. You just pushed and they couldn't get away. Someone reached in and hit the elevator alarm.

At this point, the youngest, drunkest, dumbest one of the four saw that his friends weren't doing so well. He saw me in the middle of the tussle and reached back in a slow, obvious punch. I reached out my hand and batted his fist down. He did this twice more, eventually connecting with my nose, knocking my glasses off. I quickly retrieved my frames, then put my weight back into the human barrier, but it was too late. They had enough of an opening to scatter. People gave chase, eventually catching all four of the drunk and scared idiots, who each tried to run, wrestle, and lie their way out of the consequences of their actions.

Some responsible fellow was tossing mug shards into the trash. A surprising pool of blood had formed. Groups of shocked and bewildered tiki-folk were gathered around, asking each other questions and giving varying accounts. We stuck around and talked to security. I called my girlfriend to allay her fears. My friend from the elevator stood by my side and kept me company while SDPD showed up. The officer explained to me that there wasn't much point in pressing charges against a drunk nose-punching high schooler, that there were no charges I could press against the other three. It was frustrating, but I thanked him and walked back to the room. I caught a satisfying glimpse of three drunk, angry, and possibly crying louts handcuffed on the floor next to the ice machine. Another lout in the hall claiming that he'd had nothing to do with the altercation while unbelieving officers stood over him and made sure he couldn't go anywhere.

And, so, uh... that was my Tiki Oasis. In spite of that last night's commotion, I'll definitely be back next year. Hopefully I get to hold onto my mug this time.

And, uh... if anyone has a lead on a Tiki Caliente II mug I could get to replace my friend's fallen one, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2012 10:03 PM

Thanks for the first hand account recap. Now we can put this to rest knowing that if anything happens in the future it will be dealt with accordingly (but I am increasing security anyways!)
Cheers, Otto

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2012 8:55 PM

And let's end this thread with an article that does a good job of covering Tiki Oasis 11

http://www.specsspaces.com/Blogger/KastleWaserman/Article/MakeMineParadiseTikiOasis.aspx

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies