Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

With BigBroTiki's indulgence, albeit without his permission, I will use his iconic Tiki - polynesian pop chronology to raise the question as to whether the new millennium heralded a resurgence of Tiki, which quickly, and predictably, resulting in a devolution of Tiki.

TIKI ASCENDANCY WITH THE NEW MILLINNIUM

2000 - Venetian Las Vegas invests in & opens Taboo Cove and Venus
http://www.tikibosko.com/taboo_cove_story.html

2000 - Book of Tiki is published

2002 - The Purple Orchid in El Segundo Opens

2002 - 2nd printing of the Book of Tiki

2002 - Tiki's in Waikiki opens

TIKI PEAKS AND DEVOLUTION BEGINS - A MERE 4 YEARS LATER

2004 - Tiki @ Target Watered down Tiki for the masses

2004 - More watered down Tiki @ Big Lots

2005 - Taboo Cove closes

2009 - A bad year for Waikiki. The neoTiki "Holokai Grill" in the new Waikiki Beach Walk development, the Hawiiana Hotel, and the last Spencecliff showroom, the amazing Hawaiian Hut,all close. Except for La Mariana, and the scattered Tikis in the gardens at the Royal Hawaiian and the IMP, the link to the 50s is severed.

Hawaiiana Hotel (temporarily escaping the wrecking ball - possibly a dorm)

Hawaiian Hut:

2010 - Mr. Tiki Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego closes

2010 - Drift in Scottsdale closes

i blame BigToe.....
:)

time line seems kinda off to me.
the resurgence of tiki started in early 1990's

but most didn't know about it till much later.
I caught wind of it around 1996.

Jeff(btd)

J

Tiki peaked in 2004 ?? !! I disagree, since then we've had...

1. Forbidden Island
  2. Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach
  3. The revitalized Tonga Hut playing in the Tiki big leagues
  4. Trader Vic's Downtown LA
  5. Smuggler's Cove
  6. Frankie's Tiki Room
  7. Tiki-No
  8. Tiki Caliente
  9. Mojave Oasis !!
  10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-23 11:23 ]

When I got married in 1989 the reception was at the Don the Beachcomber in Marina del Rey. I like to think that that helped to kick off the early 90's revival. Well at least for me it did.

I'd say bars and restaurants of all stripes have been dropping like flies during the recession.

K

On 2011-04-23 11:21, JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
  5. Smuggler's Cove
  6. Frankie's Tiki Room
  7. Tiki-No
  8. Tiki Caliente
  9. Mojave Oasis !!
  10. Upcoming Tiki bars at Clifton's Cafeteria and a Bamboo Ben project in Hollywood

And don't forget the scores of Trader Vic's that came & went in the last 6 or 7 years.

Not to mention all of the events that now take place, more artists now making a living selling and producing tiki influenced art and mugs, mugs and more mugs, vintage items have skyrocketed in price and are much harder to find..I'm no expert at what these trends indicate but I'm not convinced the tiki resurgence has officially "peaked." Good discussion.

1. Forbidden Island
  5. Smuggler's Cove
  6. Frankie's Tiki Room
  7. Tiki-No
  8. Tiki Caliente
  9. Mojave Oasis !!

Good points, but I don't think they carry the day.

True, I love that we now have had Forbidden Island and Trader Vic's Emeryville, Smmugler's Cove, the Conga Room, and the Kona Club - and wish they were around when I went to Cal! (although I did hit the Tonga Room on occasion) However, the collective mana of all of these was not strong enough to save Trader Vics SF which returned from the ashes, only to be shuttered, once again. Similarly, the Grand Dame Tonga Room has barely escaped the chopping block with the assistance of union support, thank god, but one has to wonder about its long term viability. And, if the Tonga Room even would be considered for demolition, nothing is sacred.

Certainly, TCers have done there best to keep the Tiki torch burning bright, with Caliente, etc., but, again, the very hotel where it was initially held, the Hanalei Red Lion in Airport Circle became de-Tikified in 2004, despite TC's best efforts. Again, the mana was not strong enough.

Red Lion before 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXHwMEBxFM

The renovated, i.e, de-Tikified Red Lion (now Crowne) after 2004:

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 23, 2011 12:52 PM

GROG think we're still riding the Tiki resurgence wave. GROG tried to start the devolution of tiki by having the Tiki Bob art show. Let's desecrate oneof tikis icons. But, everybody loved the idea, and artists produced some nice stuff, so GROG plan backfire. But, GROG not finished yet.

What's missing is Donn. Seriously. Where is he?

He was the party man who thought like my father....Damn it to Hell, I am going to buy a Harley, ride to California, sell it and make my way to Tahiti and dance with the natives.

It's the South Pacific. It's "Some Enchanted Evening". It's Bloody Mary.

Tiki is a statue. The islands he guarded were Paradise!

That's what is still missing.

And it isn't found under a dashboard light.

It's found in places like Don the Beachcombers in Sunset Beach.

It's found in places like Trader Vics in Scottsdale of all places.

It's found oddly enough, in the tikiless Tommy Bahamas on the balcony overlooking the Coachella Valley. (Unless you've been there under our blue skies and seen the blanket of palm trees that is the valley, your criticisms will fall on deaf ears - this isn't the crappy Newport Beach establishment).

I like my puffer fish, my tikis, my Japanese fishing globes, etc, as much as the next person. But what I really like is a place that for me is an island amongst the storm of life.

That's what tiki protects and offers to me.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 23, 2011 2:07 PM

So, anyway, back to GROG bringing on the devolution of Tiki.

For instance, GROG has the "WANGAROAN" mug series planned.

Thanks to Squid for suggesting making the head a lid with a straw hole.

All of these drawings were drawn on the computer with a mouse which is why they are so rough, but GROG was just getting the idea down, not the final design.
Most of these were drawn several years ago.

P.S. Copyright Ernie Keen you bastards, so don't steal GROG' ideas.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-04-23 14:13 ]

O

I think you bring up some good examples of Tiki retreating , but I believe there has been more than enough new growth to say Tiki has not peaked. It's just at a more mature and sustainable incline of growth. There are two ways of measuring the 'movement'. Either by commercial expansion of bars and restaurants or by grass roots interest measured by events, small business projects, and artist involvement. Right now the economy is not so good for all bars and restaurants. Even when times are good, establishments come and go like clockwork. Old places, regardless of die hard fans, only survive with a steady flow of customers that may or may not come just because it's a cool Tiki place. New places, unless they really know what they're doing, keep it simple, and have a laser focus on their market(Forbidden Island?), are taking the risk of any themed establishment trying to break out of the pack. And the figure I've always heard was that 50% or more of all independent restaurants/bars don't last a year. Seems to me there have been more new places making it rather than not making it. And there's no such thing as a new old place so just staying open is it's own success. It's then a matter of judging whether old places are closing faster than normal and if new places are opening, and staying open, to see if there's a net gain. And I think there has been.

My view is that this Tiki stuff has gotten past the initial fast run up fad with the hipsters, is minimally cruising with the pop market selling cheap swag, and is now in a more mature phase where important restaurants and bars have settled in for the long haul. Public recognition of Tiki is solid and a demographic is now reliably set. More serious commercial expansion will take place because of it. If events like Tiki Oasis are any indicator, the now average Tiki head is white, middle-class, around 40, and has disposable income that they spend regularly on their Tiki hobby. This demographic is settled and very loyal to their interests and I fully expect to see them, and Tiki, age together for longer than 30 years. The interest isn't tightly tied to a specific time and place the way Tiki initially was for post war vets and for people experiencing new air travel adventures to a new exotic 50th state.

Tiki is continuing to grow in popularity (Tiki Oasis, Hukilau, Ohana, Tiki Calente, Tiki Mojave, The Detroit Home and Tiki Show, etc.) has more serious fans("Ummm,I forgot dude. What is everyone else piercing this week that I have to do too??"), and has people with more money to spend. And as the economy picks up you'll see a lot more restaurant and bar growth.

It's here to stay for a long time and hasn't seen it's best days yet.
Now I'm just waiting for TIKI-CON to get it's slot on the Las Vegas convention calendar by 2015.

Grog, those are GREAT! I have been baffled that for all these years, despite the fact that the Book of Tiki defined the Tiki as a phallus symbol, NOBODY has done much with that concept! Likewise, I got close to NO reaction to my recent concept that the TIKI REVIVER cocktail contained an aphrodisiac to revive your own Tiki!

C'mon folks, it's not the prude 50s/60s anymore, these are great opportunities to PLAY! Tikiphiles are not exactly asexual, politically correct good-taste preservers, last time I looked. :D

I already carved a 4 foot penis and a 6 footer, how many more and how big do you want them?

On 2011-04-23 14:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Grog, those are GREAT! I have been baffled that for all these years, despite the fact that the Book of Tiki defined the Tiki as a phallus symbol, NOBODY has done much with that concept! Likewise, I got close to NO reaction to my recent concept that the TIKI REVIVER cocktail contained an aphrodisiac to revive your own Tiki!

C'mon folks, it's not the prude 50s/60s anymore, these are great opportunities to PLAY! Tikiphiles are not exactly asexual, politically correct good-taste preservers, last time I looked. :D

Not the 50s/60s anymore... For someone interested in the golden age of tiki that seems a bit odd to point out.

And were our tiki-hucksters anything near shy about their love of sexuality? If I remember correctly, didn't Trader Vic just now start covering up it's maidens on its menus?

Oh boy, a broad discussion about the state of TIKI CULTURE - I LIKE! :D

Thank you christiki for your time line, even if it is not complete (which, I admit, would be daunting exercise). And allow me to briefly correct the sequence of the first two dates, because Bosko won the Taboo Cove job with the Book of Tiki in existence - just like the Palm Springs Tropics was saved from being turned in the Spanish Revival CALIENTE Tropics (except in name)

As mentioned by some, christiki's question cannot be answered in a simple yes or no: While corporate America still did not "get" or care for Tiki, destroying original places like the Hanalei Hotel's "Islands", and the Chicago and Beverly Hills Trader Vic's, the revival has flourished in a more grassroots way: Various old and new Tiki Festivals are successful, and the Tiki carving, Tiki art and the home bar building and cocktail scenes have exploded in such a way that Tiki will always have its place in pop culture, I believe.

But let's face it, it will never be as widespread as it was in the mid-century, the social and cultural context is not as present for the general public as it was then. No one here can guarantee the owner of a Tiki temple - old or new - the patronage to make it thrive. Other factors than pure love for Tiki style decide that.

But we CAN have and ARE having an impact on our immediate surroundings, and while some older Tikiphiles might loose interest, new ones grow into the movement, and see what a great game to play it is.

On 2011-04-23 14:51, telescopes wrote:
Not the 50s/60s anymore... For someone interested in the golden age of tiki that seems a bit odd to point out.

And were our tiki-hucksters anything near shy about their love of sexuality? If I remember correctly, didn't Trader Vic just now start covering up it's maidens on its menus?

I am not, and never was, a Tiki REVISIONIST who dreams of some great 50s Atomic Family idyl that never was! I discovered and fell in love with Tiki because it was WEIRD and ANTI-chrome and plastic.

And the step from National Geographic female frontal nudity to full phallic exposure was a step that most Americans in the 1950s/ 60s were not prepared to take - except, as I pointed out, in the confines of their rumpus Rooms.

On 2011-04-23 15:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oh boy, a broad discussion about the state of TIKI CULTURE - I LIKE! :D

Sven,

THAT'S It! Exactly what we need, an annual critique summing up the trends and growth/losses in Tiki Culture over the past year, and what directions it may take in the coming year. Like the State of the Union, a State of Tiki Culture address.

Bear

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2011-04-23 15:23 ]

So is it healthier to have it accepted by the mainstream or be underground by a select few? Has anybody discussed these options?

And was the tiki phase of the mid 20th century due to the supressed sexuality of the conservative Fifties and the bare breast on the Trader Vics menus a product of the National Geographic loophole mentioned by Roger Ebert in his review of the movie "Rapa Nui"?. Perhaps the renewed interest in tiki is due to the supression from political correctness.

Or something like that.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

On 2011-04-23 11:14, bigtikidude wrote:
time line seems kinda off to me.
the resurgence of tiki started in early 1990's
but most didn't know about it till much later.
I caught wind of it around 1996.
Jeff(btd)

As you said, for you personally, Jeff. But that is not really of consequence for a general time line.

Your post is a good example of the difference between something being part of subculture as opposed to POPULAR culture. While the bigger publishers did not get my Book of Tiki concept until TASCHEN came along in 2000, I refused to publish it with smaller Underground publishers who were interested, because it would have remained a subculture, not going anywhere much. Now Tiki has become a part (even if only a tiny part) of world-wide pop culture.

[i]On 2011-04-23 15:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
But let's face it, it will never be as widespread as it was in the mid-century, the social and cultural context is not as present for the general public as it was then. No one here can guarantee the owner of a Tiki temple - old or new - the patronage to make it thrive. Other factors than pure love for Tiki style decide that.

But we CAN have and ARE having an impact on our immediate surroundings, and while some older Tikiphiles might loose interest, new ones grow into the movement, and see what a great game to play it is.

There are new A-frames coming up in Waikiki, at Beach Walk, and elsewhere on Oahu were the Disney resort is coming up, but I didn't include them:

Tiki certainly is having a large impact, by being used by corporate america, Disney, for example, Target, another, as part of their marketing strategy. Indeed, I would be surpised if dorm rooms all across America have Tiki in it!

Tiki is more than white males in their 40s, as neither Target nor Big Lots would bother if that were the demography, although I obviously take exception to such.

Sven:

Do you suppose or possibly believe it is fair to say that the Tommy Bahamoesque type restaurants and the island style restaurants that haunt much of our modern era are a direct descendent of Don the Beachcomber? And while many of us here are not particularly thrilled with the grandchild of DTB, the bloodline exists none the less. I see that bloodline as one of island style escapism, rum, and an atmosphere that says forget about your job, problems, and the life outside. Relax for a while and escape from your problems.

The biggest difference I see (no pun intended) is the lighting. Tiki is dark and mysterious. It is a cave where who knows what might lurk. Island style and Caribbean style restaurants and bars are brighter and have lively color combinations. The drinks are lighter and can be poured much faster. And ultimately, the grandchild is less educated and somewhat shallow. At one of this joints, you get in and you get out. The music is too loud and the seats aren't as comfortable.

As far as the sex factor - there isn't any. They are about as safe and PC as you can get.

Someone told me that all the empty Block Buster Video stores

are becoming a tiki bar/rest./store chain. Kinda like Tommy Bahamas but tiki!

Should be fun!!!

On 2011-04-23 16:19, telescopes wrote:
Sven:

The biggest difference I see (no pun intended) is the lighting. Tiki is dark and mysterious. It is a cave where who knows what might lurk. Island style and Caribbean style restaurants and bars are brighter and have lively color combinations.

Your point is exemplified by the ill-fated Las Vegas Trader Vic's, which was bright and air, and is now closed.

However, the restaurant was popular, as it generated revenue of $1.368 million in 2007, $5.961 million in 2008 and $2.033 million in 2009, records filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Nevada in Las Vegas show. However, the owners owed $14 million - one wonders if that debt ever was going to be satisfied.

However, the Bali Hai in San Diego, a Tiki mecca, was made more lighter in the 2010 remodel:

I also acknowledge the Bali Hai contradicts my theory, but I loved being there last year nonetheless!

[ Edited by: christiki295 2011-04-23 16:53 ]

On 2011-04-23 16:19, telescopes wrote:
The biggest difference I see (no pun intended) is the lighting. Tiki is dark and mysterious. It is a cave where who knows what might lurk. Island style and Caribbean style restaurants and bars are brighter and have lively color combinations. The drinks are lighter and can be poured much faster. And ultimately, the grandchild is less educated and somewhat shallow. At one of this joints, you get in and you get out. The music is too loud and the seats aren't as comfortable.
As far as the sex factor - there isn't any. They are about as safe and PC as you can get.

I think that is a pretty good description of some of the nouveaux "Tiki" establishments out there, and yes, I don't care much for that. All of that island escapism is part and parcel of Tiki too, yes, but not its ESSENCE, it is boring without Tiki. Tiki's essence for me is a fascination with primitive art and a romantic notion of savage rituals and tabus that inspired the white man's imagination to recreate them in their own backyard - be it based on reality or not. This art and artifice is what I love.

Best laugh I've had in days. Thanks Grog.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2011-04-23 21:11 ]

On 2011-04-23 21:05, telescopes wrote:

On 2011-04-23 16:48, RevBambooBen wrote:

Should be fun!!!

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......Someone told me that all the empty Block Buster Video stores

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

That about sums it up.

On 2011-04-23 21:07, sandiegodan wrote:

Should be fun!!!

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

Should be fun!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Facebook Bamboo Ben

Seriously/......

That about sums it up.

No, that about sums it up.

I think I need the Cliff Notes version.

Some things were never meant for publication.

On 2011-04-23 12:52, GROG wrote:
GROG think we're still riding the Tiki resurgence wave. GROG tried to start the devolution of tiki by having the Tiki Bob art show. Let's desecrate oneof tikis icons. But, everybody loved the idea, and artists produced some nice stuff, so GROG plan backfire. But, GROG not finished yet.

I have helped speed Tiki devolution myself, as my car is rarely without one of these:

Although, these were post 2004.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2011-04-23 21:18 ]

Can someone get rid of those spam/repeat posts on the previous page, please?

JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
  5. Smuggler's Cove
  6. Frankie's Tiki Room
  7. Tiki-No
  8. Tiki Caliente
  9. Mojave Oasis !!

Also there's a Tiki Jeep. (Dunno if anyone's mentioned it anywhere on Tiki Central.)

The main stream Tiki stuff, especially the cheap swag shown, supports my earlier comments. Modern Tiki has taken root (not just one season) in the pop culture which is an indication that there is a more serious/dedicated fan base underneath that is here to stay in one form or another. It reminds me a lot of the classic car scene. For decades there have been the pop images of hot rods and the 50's 'Happy Days' nostalgia thing. All fluff. But there is a real classic car culture with fans who are VERY serious about their hobby, which definitely is not a passing fad. And if their model can be applied to Tiki Culture, as the fans get older (I still think the main demographic is not of young people) they'll have more disposable income and will be spending more money on the hobby. More carving, more mugs, more art, and my biggest hope, more quality bars and restaurants.

BTW: The slow growth of Tiki, which started out almost 15 years ago, means it hasn't been a fad. Fads come on quick and die just as quickly. The long progression of Tiki Culture's development means it is something with roots that will continue to grow. Can I hear and Amen?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 24, 2011 12:58 AM

Sure, there may have been more Tiki bars and restaurants in the first Tiki movement, but this time around we have so much more. We have a message forum which basically created a Tiki community; several books about Tiki and Tiki mugs; a Tiki magazine; new bars and some old bars and restaurants that have survived from the first round that are enjoying a newly revitalized popularity; people mixing and creating drinks specifically for Tiki enthusiasts without the stigma of the drinks being "girly drinks"; musicians creating and performing music specifically for Tiki enthusiasts; media such as cartoons like Sponge Bob that contain Tiki imagery; podcasts of exotica; Tiki Bar TV on the internet; a multitude of artists specifically creating Tiki art and art galleries featuring their art; mug makers specifically making Tiki mugs and collectors who collect them; a number of large events that celebrate Tiki with bands, Tiki art vendors, musicians, room crawls, and event mugs; talented and skilled artists building and creating new Tiki bars; and plenty of home bars. Plus,now Tiki is in so many other countries besides America. You can go to Tiki bars in Europe, Asia, Norway, Australia, etc. Some Tiki bars/restaurants may be closing, but others are opening. No devolution here. We're riding a wave that hasn't crested.

We're riding a wave that hasn't crested.

I'm with you Grog on that wave and really don't EVER see it ending.... I think it will always just keep going and keep going kinda like those waves you can surf here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_2g6uTDb0&feature=player_embedded#at=43

LONG LIVE TIKI!!!! with all it's up and downs... :wink:

On 2011-04-24 00:58, GROG wrote:
Sure, there may have been more Tiki bars and restaurants in the first Tiki movement, but this time around we have so much more. We have a message forum which basically created a Tiki community; several books about Tiki and Tiki mugs; a Tiki magazine; new bars and some old bars and restaurants that have survived from the first round that are enjoying a newly revitalized popularity; people mixing and creating drinks specifically for Tiki enthusiasts without the stigma of the drinks being "girly drinks"; musicians creating and performing music specifically for Tiki enthusiasts; media such as cartoons like Sponge Bob that contain Tiki imagery; podcasts of exotica; Tiki Bar TV on the internet; a multitude of artists specifically creating Tiki art and art galleries featuring their art; mug makers specifically making Tiki mugs and collectors who collect them; a number of large events that celebrate Tiki with bands, Tiki art vendors, musicians, room crawls, and event mugs; talented and skilled artists building and creating new Tiki bars; and plenty of home bars. Plus,now Tiki is in so many other countries besides America. You can go to Tiki bars in Europe, Asia, Norway, Australia, etc. Some Tiki bars/restaurants may be closing, but others are opening. No devolution here. We're riding a wave that hasn't crested.

Great points Ernie!
I think any sign of Devolution is in where the mainstream folks cash in on trends and create products for the masses that don't quite "get it"...I think of these big box store chains as false ambassadors to our Paradise.
and yet...
Mainstream is a double-edged sword.....it makes cheesey items for Pic-n-Save and Big Lots,but it also expands the numbers of people who have been attracted to Poly-pop and Tiki,but hadn't known where to find it....
Of course,with any expanding "fan base",there will be the gems
those inspired,gifted folks who truly contribute to the scene
and of course,
the others,
who are just here for the party,be it Tiki or Pirate or Zombie or whatever theme an event celebrates.
I imagine both are valid in some sense
but it's those new carvers,artists,mixologists,and musicians who gives us true tiki soldiers
that joy and happiness!
Thank heaven there's communities like these and guidebooks like Sven's literary and visual historical tomes
to educate all of us,oldies and newbies,properly...
What a great thread!
except that spam on the last page....
:)

On 2011-04-23 23:52, woofmutt wrote:
JOHN-O wrote:

1. Forbidden Island
  5. Smuggler's Cove
  6. Frankie's Tiki Room
  7. Tiki-No
  8. Tiki Caliente
  9. Mojave Oasis !!

Also there's a Tiki Jeep. (Dunno if anyone's mentioned it anywhere on Tiki Central.)

The Tiki Jeep is an excellent example of Tiki ascendancy!

On 2011-04-24 00:30, Okolehao wrote:
The main stream Tiki stuff, especially the cheap swag shown, supports my earlier comments. Modern Tiki has taken root (not just one season) in the pop culture which is an indication that there is a more serious/dedicated fan base underneath that is here to stay in one form or another. It reminds me a lot of the classic car scene. For decades there have been the pop images of hot rods and the 50's 'Happy Days' nostalgia thing. All fluff. But there is a real classic car culture with fans who are VERY serious about their hobby, which definitely is not a passing fad. And if their model can be applied to Tiki Culture, as the fans get older (I still think the main demographic is not of young people) they'll have more disposable income and will be spending more money on the hobby. More carving, more mugs, more art, and my biggest hope, more quality bars and restaurants.

BTW: The slow growth of Tiki, which started out almost 15 years ago, means it hasn't been a fad. Fads come on quick and die just as quickly. The long progression of Tiki Culture's development means it is something with roots that will continue to grow. Can I hear and Amen?

Amen on this Easter Sunday!

1. Forbidden Island
  5. Smuggler's Cove
  6. Frankie's Tiki Room
  7. Tiki-No
  8. Tiki Caliente
  9. Mojave Oasis !!

Exactly! As long as individuals take the path akin to Martin Cate we will never see a devolution of Tiki. I'd rather have pure-Tiki than faddish watered-down mass-produced tiki. I do not know if Tiki has the ability to "scale" due to the general populace and quality issues. I mean if Martinique/Demarara (i.e. quality!) rums do not matter to an individual I don't understand what keeps that person coming back. Also, the smaller Tiki bars can maintain very tight quality control and it takes time to create a very good Beach Bum Berry researched worthy drink. There is a commitment and mind-set that comes with Tiki so... I wish it would scale though! :) !!!

Having lived in Alameda, CA for 8 years I consider myself lucky to have built an appreciation for quality Tiki culture. Fortunately, business trips take me back frequently to the epicenter of Tiki culture. Every trip starts and ends with stops in Bay Area pure-Tiki bars.

RhumStorm

P.S. If there are any Tiki purists in NC let me know. I'd like to talk about your workarounds due to state control. Modern day rum-runners have been getting me the quality Demararas/Haitian/Martinique, etc (as well as me packing 5 liters worth of Rum in my bags whenever I am on a business trip to states w/o state control of liquor!).

I don't know enough to add much to this thread. But isn't it a bit unique that this tiki movement, or whatever you want to call it, includes not only collecting artifacts, studying history, creating new art, but also the expectation that others will open and maintain bars/restaurants devoted to the movement.

it's kinda like mid century modern style furniture and collectables...... it's always been cool, always been in the undercurrent though it goes in and out of fashion in the mainstream.

• in the 70's, after the movie grease came out and happy days aired on t.v., , 50's stuff was popular for a short time as well as a brief moment in the early 80's (many designers borrowed from 50's style in the 80's) and then again in the mid 90's.

people have collected it for decades and the prices fluctuated depending on if it was in or out of fashion at a partiular time. In the late 80's i found tons of mid century stuff really cheap where ever i went..... no one wanted lucite swag lamps, 50's lamp shades and such but by the mid 90's, it became highly collectable again and the prices shot up for the stuff. even today prices on some of it never went down. probably due to ebay and such where now everyone lookin to make a buck has tuned in and this keeps prices up and steady... plus the style crosses so many trend boundaries ( tiki, rockabilly, mod) that it appeals to more than one group.

i guess what i am saying is that tiki will go in and out of fashion over the years. It will bubble up into the main stream with each new generation of enthusiasts and then subside, but the undercurrent will always be there in some capacity....it will always have that sense of nostalgic coolness about it much the same way mid century stuff and vintage cars are now. It's amearican, it's pop culture.... and stuff like that is here to stay. which is good news for artists and designers as there will always be a market for our art in some capacity.

newbies will find tiki, they will buy the mass produced stuff cause they don't know any better at first, then as their interest in tiki deepens, and their knowledge of tiki broadens (thanks to sven and his books, among other things) they will reject most of the mass produced newer stuff and tune into the vintage side of it.

some will ultimately treat it as a passing fad and be into it for a short time and then retreat to something else..... but those that are hooked are in for the long haul.

On 2011-04-25 03:03, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
I don't know enough to add much to this thread. But isn't it a bit unique that this tiki movement, or whatever you want to call it, includes not only collecting artifacts, studying history, creating new art, but also the expectation that others will open and maintain bars/restaurants devoted to the movement.

Excellent point, which does suggest Tiki remains in the ascendancy, post 2004, even as some restaurants come, and too many go.

Trader Vics did heavily invest in opening at LA Live, as a theme venue.
The only other theme venues @ LA Live are Conga Room, a latin theme, and ESPN Zone, sort of a Dave&Buster's theme.

Alternatively, Polynesian cuisine could be considered its own genre like Chinese or Indian, yet these are linked to an ethnic group, whereas Tiki does not necessarily equate to Pacific Islander. If anything, the waitresses wear Chinese-inspired gowns, and the menu has such Chinese mainstays as Kung Pao Chicken.

However, instead of a pair of Dragons, or Pandas, there are a pair of Tiki Diablo's giant Tikis to draw in prospective customers.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2011-04-25 07:22 ]

T

From its inception hasn't Tiki been essentially cultural tourism for the masses? It was all based on adding fun and novelty to an otherwise ordinary existence. The consumer ephemera whether it is art, vintage, handcrafted or mass produced, just serves to revive in the person who creates it or procures it a trace memory of an experience or feeling. It is neo luddite to define change as dilution and to hold oneself apart as somehow being "not of the mass" or as being more worthy because one resists the new. We are not static creatures. We continually bring into our dwellings and our doings bits and pieces from our travels through time.

On the other hand it is good that there are those whose scholarship and experience has created a pivoting point for all other growth. Isn't the idea of a time "line" an insufficient method of understanding current cultural trends? Now we have convergence and horizontalization where people collaborate across boundaries to add value, creation or innovation. Used to be we were a top-down society with cultural mantras delivered to disciples who would further the cause and keep the message pure.

This type of discussion and the continual categorization of information is invaluable to fortifying the fulcrum. Lamenting the gentrification of the neighborhood isn't.

[ Edited by: trutiki 2011-04-25 08:03 ]

Nicely philosophized, trutiki. "Fortifying the fulcrum", I like that! But we may lament the fact that some folks think that over-colorized party store Tikis represent all there is, right?

On 2011-04-25 03:03, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

This stems from the fact that Tiki style is, as far as I can see, the only pop culture that was firmly based on restaurant decor. It was the restaurants who introduced Tiki images to the people on a larger scale. It was the restaurants who had the money to go all out in the style, and thus inspired people to build their own backyard or downstairs Polynesias, and it was the restaurants that made developers utilize concepts like waterfalls, Tiki torches, and Tiki support posts for apartment buildings and motels. Only when that happened did Tiki become a pop genre BEYOND restaurants - but it is they who were the inventors of the style's language.

On 2011-04-25 07:14, christiki295 wrote:
Alternatively, Polynesian cuisine could be considered its own genre like Chinese or Indian, yet these are linked to an ethnic group, whereas Tiki does not necessarily equate to Pacific Islander. If anything, the waitresses wear Chinese-inspired gowns, and the menu has such Chinese mainstays as Kung Pao Chicken.

And here-in lies the crux and the contradiction for 21st Century Tiki restaurants: We want them to have the old classic Tiki temple decor, but we don't want to eat that ol' Chinese MSG glob there anymore. They have to come up with a Pacific rim modern version of that cuisine that makes them special, because nowadays there is ten-fold competition from all the other exotic cuisines available to the customer, while back in the mid-century, Chinese food was the most exotic food you could find.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-25 09:07 ]

T

But we may lament the fact that some folks think that over-colorized party store Tikis represent all there is, right?

My 18" Wacky Wobbler tiki bobblehead is nodding in complete agreement.

On 2011-04-25 09:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

And here-in lies the crux and the contradiction for 21st Century Tiki restaurants: We want them to have the old classic Tiki temple decor, but we don't want to eat that ol' Chinese MSG glob there anymore. They have to come up with a Pacific rim modern version of that cuisine that makes them special, because nowadays there is ten-fold competition from all the other exotic cuisines available to the customer, while back in the mid-century, Chinese food was the most exotic food you could find.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-25 09:07 ]

Hey, Speak for yourself buddy. I LOVE that ol' Chinese MSG glob. The TIKIYAKI EGG ROLL COMPANY proudly endorses deep fried Cantonese goodness. Ask anyone who's had one. They are the first thing to disappear at the party. With the current fad of bacon being all the rage, it's only a matter of time before Old School Cantonese will resurface....golden dragons, red lanterns and all....

http://tikiyakiairways.com/history.htm

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2011-04-25 10:10 ]

Pages: 1 2 88 replies