Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

what is the sneakiest tiki drink you regularly enjoy?

Pages: 1 12 replies

by 'sneaky,' i mean one of those drinks that seems innocent and tasty while being consumed, but hits you with its strong alcohol after you've consumed it.

my vote goes to the Rum Barrel...

The Viking Fogcutter.

Delicious, but deadly.

I think the king is the Zombie... if done right, it tastes like freakin' candy... but the booze wallop is massive. Rum Barrels, too. Those are big winners with the missus here 'round the house.

T

Which of the many Zombie recipes is best for the "tastes like candy" vibe? I usually expect a Zombie to have that difficult-to-describe tart rummy-lime flavor with a hint of burn.

so what the heck is in a viking fogcutter (as opposed to a regular fogcutter)?

On 2011-04-28 19:28, TorchGuy wrote:
I usually expect a Zombie to have that difficult-to-describe tart rummy-lime flavor with a hint of burn.

I usually expect a Zombie to be like getting a blow to the head with a bottle that makes my mouth taste like rum and makes my nostrils smoke.

Usually Zombies...
But Jet Pilot is good one too (Mai Kai)
and Some Fogcutters will sneaky up on you with that GIN.

On 2011-04-28 19:42, thePorpoise wrote:
so what the heck is in a viking fogcutter (as opposed to a regular fogcutter)?

One of my favorites!!
The easy way and more potent is delete the sherry from the fog cutter and float a 1/2oz of akavit/aquavit on top of the Fog cutter.

Viking Fog Cutter
2oz lemon juice
1oz OJ
1/2 orgeat
1oz white Puerto Rican rum

1/2oz brandy
1/2oz gin
Shake with ice, pour into tall glass and float a 1/2oz akavit/akvavit/ aquavit on top.
From Intoxica!

The Vicious Virgin.....WooHoo! :)

thanks Mr. Noname- i happen to have a bottle of Linie aquavit in the freezer, so i will give that a try over the weekend.

i'm guessing it will taste like lemon-almond licorice rye bread...

(maybe i'll wait and try it out on the 17th of May)

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-04-28 22:56 ]

The Zombie in the Bum's book is certainly superior, but the one I remember most as being able to mask the amount of alcohol in it is the one I pulled from wiki long before I found Tiki Central, Beachbum Berry, and all the other excellent resources for "proper" recipes.

1oz white rum
1oz golden rum
1oz dark rum
1oz apricot brandy
1oz pineapple juice
1oz papaya juice
.5oz 151-proof rum
Dash of grenadine

The apricot brandy and the pineapple juice really hide the fact that there's a mega-load of booze in this thing. It's sneaky as hell.

W

A single DG Special tastes like a sweet fruit punch, but there's enough booze in it to make your average Pinay (Filipina) loopy after just one drink. Thing is you don't actually feel it till you've finished the damn thing then it hits when you stand up.

"I could be a professional writer if I put my mind to it. A bitter, angry hack that starts fistfights at cocktail parties- I could do that job."
-Daria Morgendorffer

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2011-04-30 03:04 ]

On 2011-04-28 22:55, thePorpoise wrote:
thanks Mr. Noname- i happen to have a bottle of Linie aquavit in the freezer, so i will give that a try over the weekend.

i'm guessing it will taste like lemon-almond licorice rye bread...

(maybe i'll wait and try it out on the 17th of May)

Makes me want to go to a real deli and get a pastrami on rye. :)
Skål,
Erik the Red

edit: Or is it corned beef on rye. Both.

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-04-30 20:02 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies