Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Vintage Hair

Pages: 1 29 replies

H

Does anyone have any how-to info for creating swell vintage 'dos?

Try here: Vintage Hairdos

:tiki:

Hey Humu -

I have been DYING to find the info on this, too... I've seen a lot of sites that tell you how to do the various styles, but I'm so inept hair-wise (not to mention that my hair has 2 modes FLAT and STRAIGHT) that I'd probably need someone to actually show me how to curl and tease properly. May I suggest a fashion session for next Tiki Oasis? Vintage Girl? Cherry Capri? Can anybody help us have bitchin' tiki hair?

And Traderpup - HA HA HA. I already know how to do that one... :wink:

"Those who think conventionally will never read my thoughts..." - The Black Lizard

http://www.integraonline.com/~missyvonne/index.html

[ Edited by: Frenchy Polynesia on 2003-05-29 17:19 ]

L
laney posted on Thu, May 29, 2003 5:38 PM

I've seen several books on the subject-here's one
http://www.1940.co.uk/history/books/40hair/40hair.htm
try a search at Amazon. I don't have any books but do have flat super strait hair. I have a really short bob with some long layers cut ( a simple cut for any hairstylist). I curl it often to get the "vintage look" I use steam rollers, it takes me 15 min max. and lasts a long time. It's a very easy fix to strait flat hair.

Totally bald is always in style.

M

On 2003-05-29 17:41, tikimonkey wrote:

Damn right it is!

Once you go crew cut, there's no going back. It's like freedom. And I used to be a long hair.

Sabu...tiki-bot...all you other balding centralites- back me up on this!

And just ask Otto. Imagine- nobody would give him the time of day if he had hair: "Why, who does this hirsute fool think he he is, with all his hair and tikis?" Oh, no- It's the magic shine of that gleaming dome that makes you stand up and take notice!

Maybe, if Hanford opens up the photo archive again, I'll post my magic high school mullet. Never was there a finer chick-repellant than that aqua-net filled disaster.

In fact, a thread of TC high school portraits would be fantastic. I guarantee you there would be howls-a-plenty.

-martin

In fact, a thread of TC high school portraits would be fantastic. I guarantee you there would be howls-a-plenty.

Yeah... especially for us younger TC'ers. ('97 H.S. grad). Oh man, remember the late nineties? What was I thinking with my... 21st century generic unable to escape square parental influence hairstyle. yeah.

It's just me, with more hair (or so I say), and a tux on.

T

That's great, girls! I'll have to keep watching this link to see if any great tips or websites come up. I also have the "fine hair" that just seems to have a mind of it's own in humidity or with any type of moisture in the air.
Thanks again and I hope to meet some of you at the next Tiki gathering..... especially Humuhumu when she moves out here to Sunny California. Living here means you have to attend the next Tiki Farm tiki bash. :wink:

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-05-29 19:26 ]

T

Hey! Who you callin "balding"? I CHOOSE to wear my hair shor....eh, who'm I kiddin'. I pretty much started losing it as soon as I had to get a real job and support myself somehow. Funny how that'll do it to ya, especially as an artist.

For the crew cut set... crewcut.com

Rockabilly... Rockabilly Barbers

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2003-05-29 21:17 ]

HumuHumu,

I think this is the type of hairsetter Laney uses:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=38088&catid=20&brand=9729&aid=334009&aparam=caruso_hairsetter

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I do like Laney's results with it. You can also buy extra rollers for it too.

I also have stick straight hair cut in a bob. I use good old-fashioned foam rollers. I roll my hair damp with a little styling gel in it and let it dry overnight. Or you can pick up a dryer (the kind you sit under) at a beauty store and speed up the drying. This kind of curl will basically last for days or until you wet it again. That's why women in the 50's would go to the hair salon once a week, then maintain the style the rest of the time. (Women didn't usually wash their hair everyday then like we often do now.)

Another method is pincurls where you curl damp hair around your finger and pin it. Again, it would have to dry before taking out the pins. (My mom used this method in the 50's to do her Gina Lollobrigida 'do.)

Basically, there is a little trial and error involved no matter what method you choose. Just remember, the bigger the roller, the looser the curl. A set of foam rollers is dirt cheap at the beauty supply, but the steam rollers are still very affordable too.

Also, don't underestimate the glamour of the bob. While I fully understand the desire to curl one's straight hair, a well cut bob can be equally alluring. Here's my favorite example of a 50's bob:

Cyd Charisse knocking the hat off Gene Kelly

Showing the styling of the side and back.

Keely Smith also wore a bob in the 50's, but with spiky bangs.

Let us know what you try and how you like it so we can all share in the knowledge of glamour.

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2003-05-29 22:37 ]

I want an AFRO!! Any help there?

Ben,
Weird Al Yankovic has one for sale.

H

That dark brown bob was exactly what I was sporting a couple of years ago... very Louise Brooks. Remind me to whip out the old ID at the next event & I'll show you... pretty mind blowing compared to the barbie bs I have going right now.

So what I'm aiming to achieve right now is very structured 40sish Andrews Sisters-type curves, like the blond chick from the infamous Mondo bikini contest. I set my hair in hot rollers pretty regularly, but I do it to get a softer look. I haven't played with bobby pins to anchor the curls... is that all it would take to achieve this sort of look?

Re: the bald look... I totally agree, but I dont quite have the cranium to pull the look off. Those of you who do, continue to rock on.

T

I have occasionally come across vintage 50's and 60's hairstyling magazines, but I sold them on Ebay because my hair is verrrry short and also, and more importantly, they go for big bucks. But you could check and see if there are any going cheaper these days - seems the bottom is falling out of the Ebay market....

T

I think you may have to talk to the "Whistle Bait"(wahines) over at world wide retro.
http://worldwideretro.com/

Laney had found the best book on 40s hair... try this source as Amazon.com no longer has it, but this shop in the UK might. 1940s Hairstyles by Daniela Turudich

Or check on ebay, 1940s Hairstyles on Ebay

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2003-05-30 09:49 ]

On 2003-05-30 02:01, Humuhumu wrote:
So what I'm aiming to achieve right now is very structured 40sish Andrews Sisters-type curves, like the blond chick from the infamous Mondo bikini contest. I set my hair in hot rollers pretty regularly, but I do it to get a softer look. I haven't played with bobby pins to anchor the curls... is that all it would take to achieve this sort of look?

I think the Mondo Tiki girl probably used steam rollers. The steam would be more effective and fast-working than just regular hot rollers. (I've tried the regular ones and it didn't do squat. Plus straight hair can be more difficult to roll when dry.)

Also, if you're looking for something more 40's, you could really curl up the ends, then sweep the sides up into a Betty Grable and secure with lots of bobby pins. Or if you don't have bangs, how about a seductive peek-a-boo style a la Veronica Lake. Combine that with a grass skirt and you've really got something!

Hey guys, I didn't "do" that last post...Vintagegirl wrote it before I had a chance to sign out. But I think she really did it to embarrass me.

Ha ha, Atomic, now everyone will think you're a "hairdresser".

On 2003-05-30 20:44, Atomic Cocktail wrote:

I've tried the regular ones and it didn't do squat. Plus straight hair can be more difficult to roll when dry.

For the record I have never tried the "regular ones" and I have naturally curly hair!

W

I'm unsure of many TC-ers gender. Sometimes I find out someone I thought was a lady is really a fella and the other way around. Unfortunately that usually happens at the end of the date. Anyway, I was pretty sure Atomic Cocktail was a boy, then I read about the steam rollers followed by the supposed explanation...This scene has just gone too weird and I'm not dating any of you anymore.

On 2003-05-30 20:53, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
I have naturally curly hair!

I don't think we're talking about those hairs!

T

On 2003-05-30 09:43, Traderpup wrote:
Laney had found the best book on 40s hair... try this source as Amazon.com no longer has it, but this shop in the UK might. 1940s Hairstyles by Daniela Turudich

This web site has it as well as the Vintage Face and Vintage Wedding books. I ordered it as a gift from these folks.:

http://www.revampvintage.com/

Look for the books link in the left frame.

I bought a ton of 1940s and 1950s hair stylist magazines a few years ago as I've always been interested in these styles and how-to recreate them. Curl patterns were quite an art back then - very complex. Unfortuntely I have spring-hair (very curly/wirey and the curls don't "relax" right. I think the only kind of style I might be able to pull off with hair like this is a long-hair style like Rita Hayworth or something. I just don't know so I I'd given up on the vintage look. I do like the idea of some of you "pros" out there like Vintage Girl, Laney, etc giving us a hand maybe at the next Oasis? Or maybe we can have a tiki central girls salon party. In the meantime, keep experimenting with the steam rollers.

H

The tiki girl's night party sounds like a great idea! I just bought the 1940s Hairstyles book, it should be here in a few days. (Thanks, jab!) Let's do it at the next Oasis, or maybe once I've moved down to LA.

Those of you who've had trouble with rollers -- have you tried using a really good styling gel? When I first started using rollers, my hairstylist told me to use gel in my hair, and it was a disaster for me -- my hair takes curl very easily, and the gel made it look ridiculous! However, for someone who's hair doesn't hold curl well, it might do the trick, unless it would weigh it down too much.

Atomic -- I have the most darling barrette that will look fabulous in your hair!

wigs, baby, wigs!

Of course you could go my route and use up a couple of cans Aquanet after an hour or 2 of teasing. It's murder when you wash it out, so if you do do a retro do - invest in a good hair kerchief and satin pillowslip so it can last more than one night :wink:

So, after having long hair for over 10 years (I'm talking 3/4 the way down my back) I may have to cut it in order to get a job. Well I've always been faced with that everytime I have to look for a new job. Yeah even an artist has to conform inorder to survive. But anyways I was looking for any websites you guys and gals may know of that have really good pictures of vintage style hair for men. I don't really want a crew cut or a flat top, (but thouse would manage better) I was thinking of a pompadore or something that fits "me". I'm looking on the rockabilly barbers site and I like what I see, but what I see isn't very detailed. Any suggestions?

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!
Myspace Texas Tiki

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-16 17:23 ]

On 2003-05-29 17:41, tikimonkey wrote:

I know that feeling, you need to cut your hair to get a "proper job", I alway think that your talents should count more than your haircut BUT when i had waist long white-boy-dreddlocks most employers took one look at my hair and i never got a chance to show my talents.

IF you have to cut your hair then I recommend the pompadour, you get to use hair grease and carry a flick-comb. The only downside is finding a good barber it took me two years to find mine.

Pages: 1 29 replies