Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

KAPU CAVE- tiki bar/lounge

Pages: 1 22 replies

S

Hello all! :)

I have been around for a while, but I do not post much, I read, and look at pretty pictures :D I looooove home bars, so finally (with encouragement of a few friends) getting around to posting photos of our basement tiki bar/lounge.

S

What it was:

It was a hockey bar for a while, and good times were had, but we wanted something more and to honor our new found

hobby which was taking over two rooms and outdoor space, so we made a decision to convert.

With fairly small budget for building materials and pretty tiny space, here is what we came up with. Started the

conversion.

eww, while walls, lets get to painting!

yay! starting to look like something. Torched bamboo and tapa wall.

away with ugly carpet

walls!

sign!

W

That's an awesome start! What time are Mai Tai's?

Chris

Nice to see another puckhead on TC. As much as I love the game, Tiki makes a much cooler bar. The conversion looks great so far. Keep us posted.
GO BRUINS!

S

Here it is, "finished". We acquired lots of stuff over 3 years we have been into tiki and collecting, so not all of it fit in the Cave. Also during "construction" we went on vacation to San Diego (and made a trip to Whittier :P ) and picked up bunch of cool stuff for our new bar. There are still about 80 more mugs that just won't fit and bunch of Hawaiiana stuff that there is just no place for. I was obsessed with fitting as much seating as I could into the place, and again, due to space limitations, we cannot serve at the bar, so drinks are delivered to you from upstairs :). These photos are from a year and a half ago, so a few things have changed already and more will change really soon, more bamboo and netting on the ceiling and more lamps, more mugs, etc...

I hope you all like it :)

This was a closet. We took the door off and turned it into hidden tiki room. We were inspired by Mai Kai gardens and Half Moon Inn garden pool area in San Diego. You can actually walk into it. Standing room only though, lol.

[ Edited by: spiked 2011-05-23 15:07 ]

Brilliant! Looks like lotsa great details. Enjoy!

WOW! :o I love it! Where are you located? Are you in a hockey climate or CA?

T

WOW! Great bar! But now that your hockey bar has gone tiki do you have to support the Islanders???

S

Thank you for kind responses!
Nah, not an Islanders fan, lol. We are in sorta hockey climate, I guess :D
We still have most of our hockey loot displayed in another room. It's just everyone can enjoy Tiki and that helps during cold seasons. There are tons of sports pubs around, cannot say the same about Tiki, unfortunately, so home bars are the next best thing! :P

I

Great conversion!!

I've been to the Kapu Cave on many occasions and pictures don't do it justice. It is truly a remarkable Tiki Bar. Almost as remarkable as the hosts!!

Great job guys!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That's a damn nice space you've got. And even though I'm Canadian, I hafta say, that former hockey-bar looks soooo much better as a tiki bar...(eh?)

Awesome transformation! Love the closet makeover.

S

Thank you Jeff! :D I have been working on it a bit more, made some new lamps!
Thank you Giles, and Slacks- LOLz @ ya! Some of our friends still miss the hockey bar, but hockey is and will always be a huge part of our lives, just as much as tiki! :)

W0W! Night & Day, hunh?

Good job on the "layering" and the lighting! Your Witco collection looks pretty dang cool, too!

It's "Da Kine"!

WOW...nice job and love the hidden Tiki room...mysteriously delightful.

S

Thank you all for kind words :)

Here is the outside space photos, they are a bit blurry, sorry. Our place is small, not much you can do with what we got but it didn't stop us form tikifying it :P It actually all started with an outside space then took over pretty much 3 spaces before we build the Cave. We do use our patio a lot during warm months, so again tiki is in 3 spaces right now, since hawaiiana stuff located in the bedroom at the moment.
Every year we change things around a bit, so last year I decided to build a little Aframe over the shed, lol, it didn't turn out too bad:

soooo jealoussssss!!!!

PP

super cool, I love the transformation from sport lounge to hard core tiki lounge!!!! awsome awsome awsome!!!!!

It's coming along nicely have fun & happy returns. Good Bar name, I named my Bar the Kapu Cave in 2005 :wink:

S

On 2011-06-27 11:32, Hiphipahula wrote:
It's coming along nicely have fun & happy returns. Good Bar name, I named my Bar the Kapu Cave in 2005 :wink:

Ahaha! Cool! Thank you! We only been officially into tiki since 08, :P. We were trying to come up with something cool, we decided on a cave cause its a basement and window is blocked, and the hidden tiki room is a bit like a cave, lol. Kapu just made sense, lol.
I want to see pictures of your Cave! Do you have them posted?

I too have enjoyed the magic that is Kapu Cave and I have the Red Puffer fish lamp now at the Likwid Lounge

S

On 2011-07-24 12:38, likwidtiki wrote:
I too have enjoyed the magic that is Kapu Cave and I have the Red Puffer fish lamp now at the Likwid Lounge

Thank you! :D

Pages: 1 22 replies