And puttin' her up:

Jungle Shelves:

Flooring is next:

Bamboo from my backyard will be used to shore up the matting:

Tiki light shade:

Matting is rolled on the wall base:

No real words of wisdom but ...
treat your fresh bamboo before putting on the wall - also
I don't think I'd use a roll at a time anymore, I'd probably try to cut the roll into sections both for ease of construction and for a more tight fitting matting.

Shaka! ~Kentiki

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2011-06-08 04:28 ]

So what's up with the "Jackson Pollock" paint job?

Golden bamboo with matting & paint job:

We used Golden, Black, and Spectabilis bamboo on the top and bottom of the matting and to shore it up vertically.

The matting was rolled over everything. Outlets and air vents were were cut out after the mat was on. The shelving brackets were rolled over and only thinly sliced where the shelf holders - sorry don't know official terms - would attach.

We continue to move in the extra provisions & await the framing of several prints.

No doubt will find more treasures at the Hukilau 2011.

Some all finished 360 pics to follow when all finished.

I like to call it a Pollotiki paint job.

A customized sponge roller for the red, an inch or so brush & good wrist action for the yellow. Too much paint & you'll get drips along with the other shapes/lines. I felt like I needed more yellow so I also used a toothbrush and my thumb to put way tiny bits of yellow on. Fairly labor intensive but I do think it looks better.

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2011-06-08 04:57 ]

P
Polly posted on Thu, Jun 16, 2011 6:28 PM

Great changes. :wink:
So many tiki mugs.

Speaking of the J. Pollock look, I guess I could say that is the Modern and the rest is the Tiki. Or that I just like it-)
The mugs ::: there are always more to get right?, I'm gonna try & make at least one of my own someday - soon.
Almost have the "front" & closet doors done, curtains too, got most of the prints hung up & am adding a few other touches before really mostly all done.

Have named the bar/lounge: The Aumakua Cove

Here's the entry way...

I have found a Witco bar since this project began! yay

Some walls, corner & closet door:

OK, I cannot stay quiet on this, forgive me, I just have to holler, Waller:

You did an amazing job, with the wall, that lava paint job, the lamp, the Exotica album collage....

But you GOTTA get rid of this abomination!:

THAT is simply the devil, the personification of all things un-Tiki, my nightmare of fiesta-colored, hacked import wood -
I urge you, as the author of the book lying on your end table, reconsider this decor decision!

I realize SW Kentucky is not exactly "Tiki Central" for Tiki carvings, but there's gotta be SOMETHING out there that is more in the mood. :)

T

Holler Waller,

An amazing transformation... and, you even get personal decorating tips from the BOT author! Not so many of us are that fortunate... :)

Hope you enjoy your special place; we sure are enjoying ours.

-Tom

The Devil May Care Mask was not originally slated to be used in this new improved room. I used it in my old lounge but it never really worked for me, the fake Australian dot motif had a lot to do with that decision. After the entry door was grassed we put up several prints to see what looked best, a Parker wood block, a tiny Ryden, the green Shag, and a framed Space Escapade lp were all tried. This mask tho, out of everything we had, really looked the best to us. Please, no one hold back if you can think of something that would fit in and is available, let me know. Not many things are in stone here in the Aumakua Cove.

After under the bar, I put lights on the ceiling and around the perimeter.

And I almost made it .....

H

On 2011-08-04 21:19, Holler Waller wrote:
The Devil May Care Mask was not originally slated to be used in this new improved room. I used it in my old lounge but it never really worked for me, the fake Australian dot motif had a lot to do with that decision. After the entry door was grassed we put up several prints to see what looked best, a Parker wood block, a tiny Ryden, the green Shag, and a framed Space Escapade lp were all tried. This mask tho, out of everything we had, really looked the best to us. Please, no one hold back if you can think of something that would fit in and is available, let me know. Not many things are in stone here in the Aumakua Cove.

Keep your eyes on ebay for cheap Gope Boards.

Here's one example:
Of course the price will go up on this one but I've seen nice Gope Boards go for less than $50.00

K

rattle can - flat black.

TZ

How on Earth did you find a Witco bar and stools in this neck of the woods? I'm lucky to find a small tourist tiki at the thrift shops.

Hey your room is coming together nicely. I especially like all the color combinations and hangin skeleton. Where did you pick up the fabric for curtains?

The mask is getting doused in flat black, thanks Komohana. The material I picked up on Ebay over several weeks, it used to be part of the walls of my old tiki room. The Witco I caught on Ebay but had to drive close to the Kahiki to get it. Here are some more corners of my Aumakua Cove. The table was long & took up too much room when the bar came through so I had to cut it shorter ergo the black line down the middle. The helmet is another Ebay purchase. Still have the back of the entrance door to do. 360 to come when done. So close.

Really didn't know about the skeleton at first, but it began to grow on me (trenchfoot?) and when my significant wife came up with the fez, yeeahh.

She made the lamp shade & matching ceiling shade too.

Hey, you covered up my book! Guess that's what I deserve for freakin' out over that wall mask... :wink:

And you were right, that skeleton is not very Tiki at all. But there are ways to tribalize human bones. Beads, feathers, hemp rope and such could bring it more into headhunter territory.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-08-12 11:31 ]

On 2011-08-12 09:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hey, you covered up my book! Guess that's what I deserve for freakin' out over that wall mask... :wink:

And you were right, that skeleton is not very Tiki at all.

gawd, now he might take your book out of the room altogether...hehehe...just kidding.

I think your room is looking great Holler Waller.

Well, let's face it, simply hanging up a skeleton on the wall is not much more than Halloween decorating. It could be pirate-themed perhaps, but that ain't Tiki either.

To bring it more into the South Seas realm, I would disassemble it and just use the bones and the skull. To illustrate what I meant above with beads and feathers, here are some real examples of decorated ancestor heads from various islands in the South Pacific. Nice craft projects!:

Irian Jaya ancestor skull, Asmat

Marquesas Islands with wild boar tusks and shell eyes

Another, more elaborate Irian Jaya job. This one has some real Voodoo to it, I think!

This one from the Solomon Islands is a little too abstract maybe.

You can also build a little altar for it:

...or put it in a planter and let it rot, for added authenticity:

Then again, you might stick with the fez! :D

K

On 2011-08-12 22:14, komohana wrote:
I think your room is looking great Holler Waller.

...and I'd be willing to bet that you will add more things,
maybe subtract some things and move yet other things around
as the room evolves.

I particularly like the album covers on the door and the paint job
is kind of growing on me but I'd have to admit that I'm not a fan of
Witco, it reminds me of rustic German furniture to be honest, but that's
just me, please don't take offense.

The moai head speaker fronts? did you make those?

Tiki Zen mentioned the lack of Tiki in Kentucky, is this correct? If so,
I think you've done a remarkable job in collecting the stuff that you've
put into The Aumakua Cove so far, and I can certainly relate as it takes
a concerted effort to hunt Tiki down in my neck of the woods also. (I believe
Perth is now the most isolated city on the planet).

Best of luck with the mug making, I too would like to try my hand some time soon.

cheers.. Bob.

Thanks Komohana, the Cove will be a constant as long as I can move but I do trust in a kind of closure sometime soon. The Pollotiki paint job is probably a sticking point with many (CT?) but..... It's like you & Witco I guess - to each their own. I would rather have a more tiki representational Witco bar but it does seem to fit, in my eyes. - There are no speakers in any of the pictures - and you can trust Tiki Zen, as South Central KY seems to be quite non-polynesian, thanks.

Thanks to you too, Hakalugi. Some of those Gope boards are really sweet- the problem, per sey, (& bigbro- this'll count for you too) is that, damn, they are the real deal. Their authenticishness is a bit overwhelming for this place[me?]. While I really dig the board and most of those skulls, to have those on display would/could overpower the room and transform it into some kind of museum.

Not that I am planning for it to be a Small World After All, but something in between. Seriously playful. Kinda like Doug Miller of Kona ~ "I only want the fake stuff—the fake-real stuff." There are some artists displayed, both mug and in print, who are really speaking to me - or at least I'm hearing something. I'm just not sure about having actual Irian Jaya stuff in the same room with Black Lagoon Creatures/Jonny Quest/Sleestak items. Seems like it may not be respectful. But that's something I'll have to work on. Although dressing up the fez dude in tribalesque gear will be fun.

Seriously, thanks for all the comments, everyone has been very kind and respectful & I have not even thot about taking offense at/from anyone. I trust that will be in kind. It is a very small tiki world here in Southern KY and getting to hear from others from across the globe and nearby is really fun and enlightening. When coming to Nashville or Mammoth Cave, drop me a PM and come on by. Clean-up pictures soon, (fingers crossed).

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2012-01-16 20:12 ]

All Most Inn:

K

On 2011-11-03 18:50, Holler Waller wrote:

• There are no speakers in any of the pictures -

my mistake, i'm thinking of ideas to help my own speakers "blend in" and thought that
was a speaker on the floor to the right of the shelves.

how did the mask on the entry door turn out?

Been waiting for this shirt for months - could be a perfect eye-opener to the Aumakua Cove ....?

Side apologies to Komohana & Bigbro but couldn't resist~More "realer" pics coming soon-there should be a delivery sometime in mid-November and stuff needs to be done by then.

W

For what to do with the skull here's some ideas. This is an Orang Utan skull from the Monsopiad Cultural Village's Hall of skulls on Borneo with interesting work done on it-

Here's the 42 skulls Monsopiad took-

This illustrates how they dried the skulls, just imagine a pair of these flanking the entrance-

On 2011-08-15 09:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, let's face it, simply hanging up a skeleton on the wall is not much more than Halloween decorating. It could be pirate-themed perhaps, but that ain't Tiki either.

To bring it more into the South Seas realm, I would disassemble it and just use the bones and the skull. To illustrate what I meant above with beads and feathers, here are some real examples of decorated ancestor heads from various islands in the South Pacific. Nice craft projects!:

Irian Jaya ancestor skull, Asmat

Marquesas Islands with wild boar tusks and shell eyes

Another, more elaborate Irian Jaya job. This one has some real Voodoo to it, I think!

This one from the Solomon Islands is a little too abstract maybe.

You can also build a little altar for it:

...or put it in a planter and let it rot, for added authenticity:

Then again, you might stick with the fez! :D

"I could be a professional writer if I put my mind to it. A bitter, angry hack that starts fistfights at cocktail parties- I could do that job."
-Daria Morgendorffer

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2011-11-06 06:15 ]

Here is the latest entrance pic~

Komohana, I think that rattleblack did the trick. BTW that "speaker box" is actually a tissue box decoration/hider that was given to me years ago-the giver mustuv known something way back then.

Now updated to the Nth 'ceptin' one strand lights in surprise mode.

Welcome to the Aumakua Cove.

Surf in to the left.

Some of these shots may be repeats but it seems like there been a lot of work/decisions made.

Taking a clockwise rotation:::

Both doors I'm calling done.
The lightswitch cover....someday.

Moved the Shag for the Shark.

Mugs are my first Tiki Love~

Have loved sharing with everyone.

Very nice. I like how you did the ceiling with different bamboo. Cool bar and stools. It looks like a nice place to get away from it all.

Very cool. I also enjoyed seeing one of my War Gods on your top shelf. I loved the wall paint, that was daring. Cheers, Wendy

Aloha - there is nothing of true note to record here as I've been waiting until I have a door front that I truly like. I haven't found it yet - I surely meant no disrespect for the 'joke' cereal door earlier-as I've been reading more of TC and Tiki history in general-and understand how disrespectful that might have seemed. I have been collecting feathers around here & have quite a few but don't want to buy so that will be taking a while too-thanks for the skull ideas. I am over the disrespect of ancient cultures thing as I could only afford things probably made for western consumption anyway, 1970's on. I do have one 'find' that really made the room look better, as someone threw away a huge plastic plant & I happened to go to my wife's work & happened to throw something away in the dumpster & found the item, in the rain, within said dumpster.

I think it really looks good there. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we will be leaving the Aumakua Cove to history as we will be moving a few hours away fairly soon. I am happy to have had people verbally care about my room and I look forward to making an even "tikier" one in the future. Wife actually said, "tiki house" within context. Gotta cut some bamboo now to dry for future installation. Tiki creep indeed.

Love your shelves...looking wild in there. Glad to see someone else with a Ouija Board on the wall as I have one I want to put in my lounge. Keep up the great work!!!

Pages: 1 33 replies